[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 5.20.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu May 20 13:26:53 EDT 2021

From Shuaihau (Bailey) Liu (MFA 19):  ‘I've got back to Shanghai and finished quarantine in March and been back to set.   And Chinese industry is much different from American. Luckily, I had some friends who can bring me to commercial sets to work and learn(and get paid). Hopefully I can get into the film industry asap. I talked with several FSU alums so far, I hope it helps me somehow in the coming future. Anyway, I begin to earn money and meet new filmmakers.”

Over the last few weeks we have watched some marvelous films, made by our students despite COVID complications.    I’m going to share the first of three screenings that I know you will enjoy – a couple of hours of great entertainment.   So this week, watch the BFA Documentaries:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpTDT9ykc0   Can guarantee you will learn something new and be amazed that these were produced during COVID, adhering to industry safety guidelines.

From Dani Fiondella (MFA Writing 19) “I am officially launching my company, Vintage-T Music, which is a music entertainment company with a fully functioning record label and publishing company. We specialize in synchronization licensing for all visual mediums including independent films and student films. Our synchronization department is a one-stop shop where all our signed artists own their own work, meaning any music licenses can all be obtained from one place. I am available as a music supervisor for both large and small projects and I’m a sync agent for Vintage-T Music. If anyone has any music needs, I have over a decade of experience in the music industry and am a trained FSU film school alumna.   Feel free to check out our website! www.vintagetmusic.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.vintagetmusic.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!jKH02ZKNYlHZ2PJ2wvxJhDcyVgXJdZCjwWWHxTCvg10CGPOSCdZGkrnc4LJJRVg$>. Thanks!”

From Alex Peters Amick (BFA 11) “It’s announced! Currently editing Muppets Haunted Mansion! It’s gonna be great!  Cue the light(ning)! Mayhem takes a chilling turn this fall with #MuppetsHauntedMansion<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/muppetshauntedmansion?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVvyo4d5GzNE2zneXF6v0bhlYzZtte95ZRqUn3SA_7W-REsH9cAQ42SVKgWLGBi7FE36uLVG7jFpOgJu4zLmfGnWo0RcyvAJxa2h35mga1O7bVzg7NZRPyCUtH9K-hGuM75MViQUlMA2lEr1E8OEt_RJt3JLt2gzX08wM0xGxTeiA&__tn__=*NK-y-R>, an Original Special, coming to #DisneyPlus<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/disneyplus?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVvyo4d5GzNE2zneXF6v0bhlYzZtte95ZRqUn3SA_7W-REsH9cAQ42SVKgWLGBi7FE36uLVG7jFpOgJu4zLmfGnWo0RcyvAJxa2h35mga1O7bVzg7NZRPyCUtH9K-hGuM75MViQUlMA2lEr1E8OEt_RJt3JLt2gzX08wM0xGxTeiA&__tn__=*NK-y-R>. #HalfwayToHalloween<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/halfwaytohalloween?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVvyo4d5GzNE2zneXF6v0bhlYzZtte95ZRqUn3SA_7W-REsH9cAQ42SVKgWLGBi7FE36uLVG7jFpOgJu4zLmfGnWo0RcyvAJxa2h35mga1O7bVzg7NZRPyCUtH9K-hGuM75MViQUlMA2lEr1E8OEt_RJt3JLt2gzX08wM0xGxTeiA&__tn__=*NK-y-R>

From Brandi Bradburn (MFA 99). Sam Beam MFA 99 (aka Iron and Wine) just released an album, “Archive Series Number 5: Tallahassee Recordings.” It’s full of never released songs he wrote and recorded while we were in film school ‘98-‘99 at our house on St. Augustine (recorded and mixed by EJ Holowicki MFA 00) One song in particular, “Straight and Tall,“ has bass played by EJ Holowicki and backing vocals by Brandi Bradburn MFA 99. Check it out on Spotify!--

Melissa Aouate (BFA 04) is President of Fabel Entertainment (Bosch series).  Read this great article re why she wants first-time showrunners!  https://tinyurl.com/vddbk9ur

From Raymond Knudsen (BFA 19) “WEAPONS AND THEIR NAMES is a new short film written and directed by Melina Valdez (BFA, 2017). The film is produced by Paula Andrea González-Nasser (BFA, 2015) and Raymond Knudsen (BFA, 2019) and photographed by Robert Bevis (BFA, 2018).  Unable to contend with the loss of her stepfather, a naive teenage girl named Luciana skips school with her best friend to shoot guns in rural Florida. When things don’t go as expected, Luciana is forced to confront her relationships and the world around her.  We are heading back to FL to tell this beautiful story with a lot of talented filmmakers. We cannot make this film without you and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Contribute here:
https://seedandspark.com/fund/weapons-and-their-names<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/seedandspark.com/fund/weapons-and-their-names__;!!PhOWcWs!mvfMzaG6lsyC_ys-xY1eC1BSO5EtnIW1uYEumGKU1fwAjtqijhTdITHCd9KHLUw$> “

From Shannan Johnson (MFA Writing  08)  “My company, The Professional Pen (TPP) is a script consultant agency based in Los Angeles, CA that helps creatives develop their content for the screen. TPP is hiring LA-based independent contractors as readers and proofreaders.  These are paid positions. Deadline is June 1. Apply: www.awriterforyourwriter.com/the-internship<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.awriterforyourwriter.com/the-internship__;!!PhOWcWs!gxvAvPtQ-MlsexE8R9iInUWhSbZsyTuh6heXkCBHBNnVmdTeRgK06vMFWb6UQCQ$>

From Taylor Ross (BFA 21) “I've just been hired as an Office PA for "Killers of the Flower Moon", Martin Scorsese's next feature film based on the book of the same name. They started production a little over a month ago and will be shooting through till late-summer. Very excited to be on board!”

Second posting – identifying TLH as the location:  Part-time Evening Work in Tallahassee, FL-  Mike Vasilinda Productions, Inc. is taking applications for Production Crew members for their television/online Florida Lottery Drawings crew. Positions include teleprompter, camera/sound operators, and live graphics. Evening hours are from 9:00PM-11:20 PM and Midday from 12:50-1:40 PM at the Florida Lottery Building in Tallahassee. Permanent crew postions work every other week. There is a starting training rate pay and after training the pay is comensurate with experience. Send resumes to Charles at videoflorida.com<mailto:Charles at videoflorida.com> or ksbarber at fsu.edu<mailto:ksbarber at fsu.edu>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – May 20, 2021

It’s Over (MFA D1 2020 Charlie Andelman) was nominated for Best Apocalyptic Student Film and Best USA Student Film at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando on May 3rd. For more information about this festival, go to http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and was a Semi-Finalist at the inaugural Virtual Cinema Festival in Seattle, May 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.moonshinefilms.com/virtual-cinema-festival<http://www.moonshinefilms.com/virtual-cinema-festival>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019) was selected for screening at the Sene Film and Music Fest in Cranston, Rhode Island, June 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.senefest.com<http://www.senefest.com>.

Farewell Transmission (MFA D1 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for the May edition of FlickFair, a monthly online festival. For more information about this festival, go to www.flickfair.com<http://www.flickfair.com>.

Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Myrtle Beach International Film Festival at a time TBD in May or June. For more information about this festival, go to http://myrtlebeachfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and The Hag (BFA Documentary 2020 Jay Ellis) were selected for screening at the International Gullah Film Festival in Georgetown, South Carolina, May 3-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.tigff.org<http://www.tigff.org>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt), Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis)  and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in July, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

There’s Something Under the Dock (BFA F3 2020 Evan Sparks) and BOBO (BFA F3 2020 Alex Bale) were selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was invited to screen at the Toronto Jewish Film Festival, June 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to tjff.com.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) was rescheduled for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, June 10-13 after last year’s festival was postponed. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, June 15-20. For more information about this festival, go to charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Breakthroughs Film Festival in Toronto, June 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to breakthroughsfilmfestival.com.

In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) is a Semi-Finalist for Florida Shorts, a new online film festival to be held June 30. For more information about this festival, go to floridashorts.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Independent Film Festival in Canada on July 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://vancouverindiefestival.com/.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry PR)were selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Smoky Mountain Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 10-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.smokymountainfilmfest.com<http://www.smokymountainfilmfest.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.