[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 5.13.16

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu May 13 13:16:22 EDT 2021

From Deadline:  Fox<https://deadline.com/tag/fox/> has handed a series order to The Cleaning Lady<https://deadline.com/tag/the-cleaning-lady/>, its adaptation of the Argentinean drama starring Daredevil and The Defenders alum Elodie Yung.The hour-long drama, which I hear has received a ten episode order, comes from The 100 writer Miranda Kwok, Stargirl EP Melissa Carter (MFA 96), who is showrunner, Shay Mitchell’s Amore & Vita Productions, Warner Bros. Television and Fox Entertainment. Homeland director Michael Offer directs and exec produced the pilot.  Read the article at https://collider.com/elodie-yung-the-cleaning-lady-show-fox/
Mark Vargo, ASC, cinematography faculty member at the Film School, will be on leave till mid-Fall doing second unit photography on the new Transformers feature.   He was in Cusco, Peru last week doing some location scouting and will be in Montreal  for several weeks and NYC for a couple of weeks  filming before returning to Peru.

From Thomas Jackson (MFA 98) : “Supreme Master Ching Hai has lovingly created a series of awards to recognize some of the most exemplary, generous, caring, and courageous people who walk amongst us and go beyond the call of duty to help others unconditionally.“  The award came with a $10,000 prize, which I received last year, though the actual physical award was presented this last weekend.  Also, here’s a link to the trailer for the new film Compassion in Action - Bringing the Elixir Home .  It will be next year before we’re ready to release it. As you can see in the trailer it has Jerome Flynn, from Game of Thrones, in it. He was also the executive producer of A Prayer For Compassion.  https://vimeo.com/534665445  And Here's a link to a four part video interview SMTV did with me for the Shining World Compassion Award.
http://www.tips4covid-19.org/en1/v/101570786820.html

Film School's Community Liaison Dave Schmeling and his long-time writing partner David Pasquarelli's latest feature screenplay "Invisible" continues it's winning streak. A tale that juggles issues of aging and gender "Invisible" is an official selection of the Miami Indie Film Awards. This accomplishment comes on the heels of "Invisible's" other successes as a Semi-finalist in the 2020 NYC Screenwriting Awards, and as an Official Selection of the LGBTQ Unbordered International Film Festival.

From Dani Fiondella (MFA Writing 19) “"My second single "Faith In Me" has dropped on streaming platforms! I'm on Apple Music and Spotify under Dani Fiondella and links are available on my IG @thisisdmusic. Soon to follow... some music videos filmed by an amazing FSU alum! Thanks!"

From Iliana Ipes (BFA 18) “huge thank you to @voyagelamag for the article! here’s a little snippet, check the rest out with the link tree in my bio! I also touch a little bit on how we constantly compare our success to others in this industry and how we can open ourselves and these conversations up. http://voyagela.com/.../life-work-iliana-ipes-los-angeles/

From Chris Violette (BFA 20) “Earlier this year, I decided to quit my job and make the move to Atlanta after my work environment in Boston got pretty bad. Since then, I shot part of Antonio Mendez’s recent documentary project about Florida’s Early Childhood court system, which I also ended up editing from home over the past few months. I’ve also been prepping to shoot Geena’s Hernandez’s (BFA ‘20) upcoming short “Chicks”, produced by Chayse Banks (BFA ‘20) and crewed by much of my class and the class of ‘21. Really happy to be among friends here in ATL.”

From Qiyu Zhou (MFA 16) “  “I am currently in China, working on a project in early development.  I did produce a feature film last year in Seattle. It will be done with the post very soon. It's called Baby, Don't Cry, a romantic thriller about a withdrawn and sensitive 17-year-old Chinese immigrant from a troubled home who lives on the outskirts of Seattle. One day, she meets a 20-year-old delinquent named Fox. Together they embark on a twisted journey to escape their hopeless fate.”

From Iman Zawarhy (MFA 08) “Hi Everyone! The premiere of my film Americanish is happening on closing night at CAAMFest virtually for California. Would love the FSU Fam's support by watching the film and voting for it for the audience award. It will be on May 23rd at 5pm and you can get tickets here: https://caamfest.com/2021/movies/american-ish/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/caamfest.com/2021/movies/american-ish/__;!!PhOWcWs!hehrAB7PtOQnqu7fXeYr-U_moJuwnuYRD71DngrMXU9Rv8FgQFt4vWr3HPwthko$>. We are also having an in person screening in the San Francisco Bay on May 23rd at 5:30pm. If anyone is in the Bay, would love to see you there! Tickets for that can be purchased here: https://bit.ly/Americanish-Drive-In<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/Americanish-Drive-In?fbclid=IwAR3AVVG5LhswK_UojkgeBtF7xEnsOM7qHzJ5MSiIyZFmLCP9tbgvYLOGycY__;!!PhOWcWs!hehrAB7PtOQnqu7fXeYr-U_moJuwnuYRD71DngrMXU9Rv8FgQFt4vWr3a3MeisI$>. You can also watch the trailer here: https://www.thewrap.com/americanish-trailer-muslim-romantic-comedy-iman-zawahry/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.thewrap.com/americanish-trailer-muslim-romantic-comedy-iman-zawahry/__;!!PhOWcWs!hehrAB7PtOQnqu7fXeYr-U_moJuwnuYRD71DngrMXU9Rv8FgQFt4vWr3qtGG7KI$>. Wheew, that was a lot. Thank you for your support and hope everyone is doing well!”

From Sara Karimipour (MFA 18) “So excited that I can share that the show I've been working on for over a year now has been announced! It has been (and still is!) such a treat to be a part of the writing team on Alice's Wonderland Bakery. This is the first animated show I've professionally written on and it's been such a blast. A lot of love has gone into making this and I can't wait for it to air in 2022!”  Read the article here:  https://tinyurl.com/2evcvu9s

From Amy Ellison (MFA 00) “One of my filmmaking partners teaches at Northwestern. The film program there is looking for adjunct professors in Sound, Writing, Documentary Production and Media. They are very motivated to hire BIPOC applicants. If you are aware of any BIPOC FSU alum (particularly MFAs) who would like to live and teach in the Chicago area, could you pass the job listing along to them? Northwestern has already begun to consider applications, so it would be helpful if applicants could submit in the next week to 10 days. They need applicants ASAP. If they are not able to get the application in this week, have them contact the department (listed on the announcement) to see if they can still send something in.
https://media.soc.northwestern.edu/socwp-aws-www/sites/5/2021/04/15162422/2021-2022-Adjunct-Instructors-1.pdf<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/media.soc.northwestern.edu/socwp-aws-www/sites/5/2021/04/15162422/2021-2022-Adjunct-Instructors-1.pdf__;!!PhOWcWs!hDGA6f2QaONXMu53WgL2o0gE5Y9cn1gLvXfSR9iHwr7AeVrsaunuj0uclewEYG4$>

Mike Vasilinda Productions, Inc. is taking applications for Production Crew members for their television/online Florida Lottery Drawings crew. Positions include teleprompter, camera/sound operators, and live graphics. Evening hours are from 9:00PM-11:20 PM and Midday from 12:50-1:40 PM. Permanent crew positions work every other week. There is a starting training rate pay and after training the pay is commensurate with experience. Send resumes to Charles at videoflorida.com<mailto:Charles at videoflorida.com> or ksbarber at fsu.edu<mailto:ksbarber at fsu.edu>

A NY-based production company (non-scripted and scripted) is seeking a dedicated, self-driven Executive Assistant with strong communication skills and an interest in TV development and production. The role would support the Executive Producer and the development team with day-to-day administrative responsibilities. Looking for candidates with excellent time management skills and who have the ability to handle a high volume of tasks. One year of assistant experience in an agency, studio, production company, network and/or talent management setting is required. Please send resumes to ny.prodco.asst at gmail.com<mailto:ny.prodco.asst at gmail.com>.

I'm from Tallahassee and a graduate of Rickards High School and Florida A&M University. Upon graduation, I went into sales for an international publishing company to fund my projects and created Curators of Hip Hop<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/eJhNYDg46Z8__;!!PhOWcWs!kAOZk-p1rOMu8w978L4q4AN83n3ITtTTFA9lQT5lPbWsk9t8LksmT_VMCs8ZiDKN$> (COHH). In our first documentary, we followed the lives of two artists (Prie and Logic) for six and half years to show the grind it takes to get signed in the music industry. We've toured that documentary to over 30 colleges several film festivals and now the project lives on Amazon Prime<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.amazon.com/Curators-Story-Independence-Logic/dp/B07WWKKDKL__;!!PhOWcWs!kAOZk-p1rOMu8w978L4q4AN83n3ITtTTFA9lQT5lPbWsk9t8LksmT_VMCi7D9ubh$>. We've toured to FSU several times via Dr. Lisa Wienberg who teaches the Sociology of Hip Hop course. We've also created the Media Rhythm Institute<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/gX31_d6ww6U__;!!PhOWcWs!kAOZk-p1rOMu8w978L4q4AN83n3ITtTTFA9lQT5lPbWsk9t8LksmT_VMCj3aQw_u$> here in Baltimore teaching the next generation of entertainment and media entrepreneurs.   I'm seeking assistance on my short thesis film Black Icarus, which I plan to shoot in Jefferson County the week of June 21st-24th. I will pay a flat rate of $250. jthomas03 at mica.edu<mailto:jthomas03 at mica.edu>

I apologize for the length of this WR, but I spent several days last week at Amelia Island with friends and couldn’t get it together since I still don’t have a lap top and just can’t figure out how to do the WR on my IPad!   Wonderful little getaway – I highly recommend it!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – May 13, 2021

Clave (MFA Thesis 2020 Alex Argiles) was awarded a Platinum Remi in the Short Student Film category at WorldFest-Houston, April 22-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) was rescheduled for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, June 10-13 after last year’s festival was postponed. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, June 15-20. For more information about this festival, go to charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Made in Arkansas Film Festival in Little Rock, May 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.madeinark.org.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Breakthroughs Film Festival in Toronto, June 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to breakthroughsfilmfestival.com.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Brightside Tavern Shorts Fest in Jersey City, New Jersey, May 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to brightsidetavernfilmfestival.com.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Pearland, Texas, May 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to nationalblackfilmfestival.com.

Farewell Transmission (MFA D1 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for the May edition of FlickFair, a monthly online festival. For more information about this festival, go to www.flickfair.com<http://www.flickfair.com>.

Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Myrtle Beach International Film Festival at a time TBD in May or June. For more information about this festival, go to http://myrtlebeachfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and The Hag (BFA Documentary 2020 Jay Ellis) were selected for screening at the International Gullah Film Festival in Georgetown, South Carolina, May 3-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.tigff.org<http://www.tigff.org>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 30 – May 9. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the CineYouth Film Festival in Chicago, May 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chicagofilmfestival.com/cineyouth/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt), Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis)  and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

There’s Something Under the Dock (BFA F3 2020 Evan Sparks) and BOBO (BFA F3 2020 Alex Bale) were selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was invited to screen at the Toronto Jewish Film Festival, June 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to tjff.com.

In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) is a Semi-Finalist for Florida Shorts, a new online film festival to be held June 30. For more information about this festival, go to floridashorts.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Independent Film Festival in Canada on July 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://vancouverindiefestival.com/.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry PR)were selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Smoky Mountain Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 10-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.smokymountainfilmfest.com<http://www.smokymountainfilmfest.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.