[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 6.17.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 17 12:59:42 EDT 2021

>From Meghan McCarthy (MFA 98) “So lucky I got to be the head writer for this show! Centaurworld is coming to Netflix on July 30th and it is a blast! So funny. So hearfelt. And it is a musical. Also, I clearly can't get away from writing for talking horses.”

Montreal Independent Film Festival has announced the selection for their event of the screenplay "Invisible", a tale about crime, gender and aging by David Pasquarelli and writing partner Film School Community Liaison Dave Schmeling. Montreal continues the impressive string of recent recognitions for this script from the Miami Indie Film Awards, the NYC Screenwriting Awards, and the LGBTQ Unbordered International Film Festival.

The 2021 Tallahassee Film Festival happens Sept. 18-19, online and in/around Railroad Square. Submissions are open through July 31 at FilmFreeway. https://filmfreeway.com/TallahasseeFilmFestival  This year, we are awarding a $1,000 prize for the best film by a Florida-based filmmaker (can be a feature or short in any genre or category). I hope that might amp up some FSU Film School folks to submit. Films will be screened in public and also available online (via Eventive).

>From H. Cole Smith (MFA 20)  “I've moved from LA to New York City to be closer to family. Additionally, I wanted to give you this other work update! I was recently hired as the lead editor on an indie-thriller feature called The Devil's Fortune directed by Rubidium Wu. We're neck deep in the post process right now, but I'm excited to finish it up over the summer.”

> [...]
DM if you want to see the film before it airs, otherwise tune in to PBS on July 20th at 9 PM ET “

>From Tricia Mears (MFA 11) “2020 was a tough time for sure. Productions were down until the Fall of 2020. I hopped on Pose Season 3 as the A 2nd for the show. What a wonderful/ground breaking show to be a part of. I loved every minute of it and I am sad the show is officially over. COVID definitely changed how production works. Constant COVID testing and strict protocol on set, but New York has seemed to provide a healthy working environment for us.  Right now I am dayplaying on shows: Billions, Law and Order: Organized Crime, Godfather of Harlem, Power: Book of Kanan, etc. Productions are ramping up for the summer and Fall, so I imagine it's going to get even busier very soon.  I am leaving for upstate NY to work on a tv series that was primarily filmed in LA, but they are heading to upstate NY to finish principal photography.I am fortunate to have maintained my health insurance and livelihood during such a chaotic/challenging time. And I think it can really only go up from here.”

>From Nick Rufca (BFA 98) “I am currently Head of Operations and Senior Producer for 2nd Try - the production company founded by digital content creators The Try Guys<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/channel/UCpi8TJfiA4lKGkaXs__YdBA__;!!PhOWcWs!kqfsMYsIMONf-GzWQjL2EfFFwfYxv5fgisPA7qYGYNgbyWrc-t4b39TS2YGlHow$>. We produce videos for our independently-owned YouTube channel, releasing them twice a week for 7.5+M subscribers and millions of viewers; our content can also be found on Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and TikTok. In addition to our videos, we have a growing slate of popular podcasts. We are currently seeking two full time, permanent positions within our company. Jobs are based in Los Angeles. If you are interested email me at nick.rufca at gmail.com

Production Coordinator - this position would require some experience working within production or a production company and a familiarity with production workflow. Main duties are to assist producers in the planning and production of our twice-weekly videos, as well as assistance in the day-to-day management of company operations.

We are also seeking a production-savy in-house Production Assistant to shoot and self-produce content for our Patreon members and social platforms. This is an entry-level position that I think would be an ideal match for creative film school grads. Ideal candidates are self-sufficient as they shape the vision for behind-the-scenes videos and social content specifically tailored to further our fan engagement, grow our brand, and provide our dedicated audience with an insider peek into the The Try Guys world. PA would self-shoot, edit, and perhaps even "star in" (aka host) the videos they create on behalf of our brand. Knowledge of the current digital/YouTube landscape is a huge plus. The opportunity to be creatively independent with the support of a company behind you is a rare one!

>From The Dave School in Orlando:  We are looking for two Adjunct Instructors in Animation and VFX to teach a 12 week course beginning June 28 and August 2nd, respectively.  Both positions can be taught remote.  We teach software from Nuke, Maya, Redshift, Adobe, UE4 and implementing 5 now. Pay is $1200 a week.  Long-term and relocation to Orlando also a possibility.  Please email resume and reels to grhodes at daveschool.com<mailto:grhodes at daveschool.com>

“Hi guys, I'm looking for a Director's "right hand" who's sharp, kind, enthusiastic with sharp visual and writing skills (editing wiz a plus)! Someone who doesn't need to make a full salary but wants the experience of prepping (pulling visuals, helping shot listing, tweaking script...) two very different teen movies: 1) an indie neo-feminst, dark comedy, teen thriller (female lead, think Buffy meets Dexter) in pre-production (set to shoot in July or end of summer) and an 80's smart coming of age film set in 1984 Miami following a Cuban-American girl's adventures, (in development, think Sixteen Candles meets Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown) - both with great producing teams! Be a writer-director who's passionate about independent voices who wants to experience/learn everything one goes through as a writer/director working in indie Hollywood and assist me in exchange for a monthly stipend, full-transparency on everything I do, and have a loyal mentor/friend for life! I'm a Spirit award nominated filmmaker, LGBT, Cuban American, and also have an original TV series as a finalist for the Sundance Labs (results in August). 2 to 3 month commitment, perfect summer gig (can work remote) with possibility of getting hired for production. Send bio and your hopes for this collaboration to: TeamPrep10 at gmail.com<mailto:TeamPrep10 at gmail.com> Sense of humor welcomed! My IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/__;!!PhOWcWs!h8KKgzSp8V14JZ_XRFKD1CUWm5707M69PmCBTtF0cK251eN7Ab5YHwu1ylWUjXc$>  --Thanks for reading! Anna (BFA 1993)
Anna Margarita Albelo
Director/Writer/Producer
Burning Bra Productions
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/__;!!PhOWcWs!h8KKgzSp8V14JZ_XRFKD1CUWm5707M69PmCBTtF0cK251eN7Ab5YHwu1ylWUjXc$>

Latin-X? Check this out:
We are reaching out on behalf of the National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP) to invite your students to apply to the Emerging Content Creators Inclusion Initiative (ECCII) Scholarship for the 2021 NALIP Media Summit. This scholarship is open to anyone interested in pursuing careers in the entertainment industry, no matter their background or skill level.For the last 22 years, NALIP has been dedicated to facilitating the advancement and engagement of Latinx creators across multiple media platforms. Our NALIP Media Summit will celebrate U.S. based Latinx achievement across all media platforms: narrative shorts, TV/streaming pilots, digital web series, virtual reality, augmented reality, documentary shorts, and more!The NALIP Media Summit will be completely virtual, giving creators across the country access to this exciting opportunity! Scholarship recipients will be able to attend the entire three-day summit, completely free of charge. As part of the scholarship, recipients must make themselves available for the entirety of the virtual NALIP Media Summit from July 19th-21st. Additionally, scholarship recipients will have access to The Emerging Content Creators Workshop and the opportunity to meet with industry professionals.Please share the application<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfp_ESpMLTciacCsrrFrbrGfmuM_Lo7QlWU9zRF0LplZUpE2w/viewform__;!!PhOWcWs!iO0ec7PzRBaJk-kwARfHSNaBc5zaSn1dC-A8yASVUEWXTiYX3jHPUVDcsQnsTA$> with interested applicants. The deadline to apply is June 27, 2021

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – June 17, 2021

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosencranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

It’s Over (MFA D1 2020 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening at the Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Festival in Chicago on June 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.bigteethsmallshorts.com<http://www.bigteethsmallshorts.com/>.

Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, to be held virtually, June 19-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.etheridgeproductions.com/<http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/>.

FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening and will receive an Honourable Mention for the Jury Award at the Breakthroughs Film Festival in Toronto, June 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to breakthroughsfilmfestival.com.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, June 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.chattfilmfest.org/<http://www.chattfilmfest.org/>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Sene Film and Music Fest in Cranston, Rhode Island, June 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.senefest.com<http://www.senefest.com/>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, June 15-20. For more information about this festival, go to charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosencranz) was selected for screening on June 26th at the New Florida Cinema Festival in Sarasota, a monthly series. For more information about this festival, go to newfloridacinema.org.

It’s Over (MFA D1 2020 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening at the Lovesick Film Festival in Jersey City, New Jersey on June 26. For more information about this festival, go to lovesickfilmfestival.com.

In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) is a Semi-Finalist for Florida Shorts, a new online film festival to be held June 30. For more information about this festival, go to floridashorts.com.

Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the London Shorts Film Festival on June 30. For more information about this festival, go to londonshorts.org.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Independent Film Festival in Canada on July 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://vancouverindiefestival.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt), Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis)  and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in July, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com/>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry PR)were selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Smoky Mountain Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 10-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.smokymountainfilmfest.com<http://www.smokymountainfilmfest.com/>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org/>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) andAll the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.