[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.29.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 29 12:46:48 EDT 2021

Hope you can join us in watching the MFA thesis films which will be available on YouTube this Saturday:

Part 1 @ 3:00pm: https://youtu.be/Bbxk955TS3w
Part 2 @ 7:00pm: https://youtu.be/LDoRYLlzRFg

PART I –3:00pm - 5:00pm
Left to Live – Writer Amanda Senrra; Director Rita Al Cunha
Teressa in the Background – Writer/Director:Stefany Espinoza
A Detective Story – Writer/Director Gejia Zheng
Pollywog – Writer/Director Zachery Grant
How Does That Make You Feel – Writer/Director Anthony Giordano
La Perrera – Writer/Director Alex Thiel
Dog Daze – Writer Olivia Isabel Comas Wood; Director Sarah Gambles
Nesting Habits – Writer/Director Jake McClain
Alien – Writer Adrian Hargrave; Director Shahbaz Ahmed Khan

PART II -7:00pm - 9:00pm
In Common – Writer/Director Zachary C. Lane
Bella Ciao! – Writer:E.M. Moore and Shahbaz Ahmed Khan; Director Shahbaz Khan
Briefly Gorgeous -Writer Director Elijah Barry
The Coop – Writer/DirectorRita Al Cunha
Fairy Dust – Writer/Director Sarah Gambles
Floating – Writer/Director Yiji Chen
Recipient – Writer/Director Di Lu

  *   https://www.playbill.com/article/watch-the-trailer-for-dramarama-a-new-comedy-about-high-school-theatre-geeks<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.playbill.com/article/watch-the-trailer-for-dramarama-a-new-comedy-about-high-school-theatre-geeks__;!!PhOWcWs!nMAI9mDLIRkct8cyr-6NxTRG5uhEbJjEEkY5xgzznLfM7BY1C5wbiGim-uaUq2xVtXc$>
  *   https://variety.com/2021/film/news/jonathan-wysocki-dramarama-august-theatrical-release-1235003704/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/variety.com/2021/film/news/jonathan-wysocki-dramarama-august-theatrical-release-1235003704/__;!!PhOWcWs!nMAI9mDLIRkct8cyr-6NxTRG5uhEbJjEEkY5xgzznLfM7BY1C5wbiGim-uaUSxR94F4$>

The African American Film Critics Association<https://deadline.com/tag/african-american-film-critics-association/> has revealed the winners of its 3rd Annual AAFCA TV Honors<https://deadline.com/tag/aafca-tv-honors/> set to be feted at an in-person celebration on August 21 hosted by Yvette Nicole Brown. Honorees include Jurnee Smollett<http://deadline.com/tag/jurnee-smollett>, Jonathan Majors<http://deadline.com/tag/jonathan-majors>, and Barry Jenkins<http://deadline.com/tag/barry-jenkins>. (BFA 03)   (Barry won Best Director for The Underground Railroad.)   Read the Deadline article at https://tinyurl.com/e36udh8v

Barry Jenkins’ (BFA 03) companion piece to The Underground Railrod, The Gaze, will be featured as an exhibit in the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2021/07/30/detail/an-act-of-seeing-barrys-jenkinss-the-gaze/

>From Laura Johnson (MFA 18) “"Starting my position at Doozer Productions in the height of the pandemic definitely made me nervous, but having been a part of this incredible company for over a year now has been nothing short of amazing. Getting my first TV credit on season 2 of TED LASSO isn't too bad either. If you haven't had the chance, I highly recommend checking it out on Apple TV+! A new episode is released weekly."

>From Alex Thiel (MFA 21) “I am pleased to report that I start work the Monday after graduation as APOC on Muti (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13141250/) shooting in my hometown of Jackson, MS. “

>From Jonas Schubach (MFA 18) “Very excited to share this beauty commercial for KU2 Hyaluronic serum I DP'ed a few months ago.  All I can say is that shooting this commercial was just incredible fun with it containing a high speed powder explosion, water, golden body paint, a swimming pool filled with golden water, and most importantly, a really really great team.  For the high speed shots of the model we had six 12Ks going, which gave just enough exposure to shoot wide open. https://www.jonascine.com/commercial?wix-vod-video-id=fe2ebadf682d42a8be43f3d891f86159&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-keahb09b   Also, I’m glad to share that my petition for an O1 artist visa has been approved! Starting September, this will allow me to accept DP jobs in the US.”

Welcome to Lisa McClellan who is an FSU alum who comes to CMPA from the UBA (University Business Administrators) where she was the accountant and HR rep for the FSU Intensive English Center for ten years, assisting international students and faculty. Before that she kept the books for a private company for twenty years while raising her three sons as a stay-at-home mom. Lisa is a life-long movie fan and an FSU baseball season ticket holder, and she can’t believe her new position allows her to keep an eye on her beloved Dick Howser stadium all day long! Her claim to fame is having met Dick Howser, Mike Martin, and Buster Posey in person. Lisa is married to her high school sweetheart, Steve, and spends her free time spoiling her two granddaughters, two magnificent cats and two elderly rescue Chihuahuas. She is grateful and excited to become a part of the CMPA team!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – July 29, 2021

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Beach International Film Festival in New York, July 27 – August 1. For more information about this film, go to www.longbeachfilm.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 23-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was awarded Best Animated Short Documentary at Atlanta Docufest, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.docufest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, Septemnber 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) is a Semi-Finalist in the Documentary category for the 2021 Student Academy Awards. Finalists will be announced in August.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Horror/Thriller, Best Cinematography and Best Actor in the Student Film categories at the Brightside Tavern Shorts Fest in Jersey City, New Jersey on July 31. For more information about this festival, go to brightsidetavernfilmfestival.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the New York Flash Film Festival in Brooklyn on August 1. For more information about this festival, go to newyorkflashfilmfestival.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Girl Improved Short Film & Television Festival in Austin, Texas, August 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com<http://girlimproved.com/>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly) and Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2021 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Columbus Black International Film Festival in Ohio, August 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.columbusbiff.com<http://www.columbusbiff.com>.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Feminist Film Festival in Bucharest, Romania, September 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.artfusion.ro/portfolio/join-our-feminist-september/.

Quarantined (BFA Doc 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.