[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.22.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 22 13:48:22 EDT 2021

We are actually having an in-person screening for graduation of the MFA Class of 2021!   So excited!

All tickets to the screenings in person at the CMX have been claimed (The films will also be streamed on our YouTube channel  (link to come).Here is the schedule and the screening order:

PART I – 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Left to Live – Writer Amanda Senrra; Director Rita Al Cunha
Teressa in the Background – Writer/Director:   Stefany Espinoza
A Detective Story – Writer/Director Gejia Zheng
Pollywog – Writer/Director Zachery Grant
How Does That Make You Feel – Writer/Director Anthony Giordano
La Perrera – Writer/Director Alex Thiel
Dog Daze – Writer Olivia Isabel Comas Wood; Director Sarah Gambles
Nesting Habits – Writer/Director Jake McClain
Alien – Writer Adrian Hargrave; Director Shahbaz Ahmed Khan

PART II - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
In Common – Writer/Director Zachary C. Lane
Bella Ciao! – Writer:  E.M. Moore and Shahbaz Ahmed Khan; Director Shahbaz Khan
Briefly Gorgeous -  Writer Director Elijah Barry
The Coop – Writer/Director  Rita Al Cunha
Fairy Dust – Writer/Director Sarah Gambles
Floating – Writer/Director Yiji Chen
Recipient – Writer/Director Di Lu

Congratulations to Melissa Aouate (BFA 04) who has been named and Industry Leader by Cynopsis in their list of Top Women in Media!  Melissa is President at Fabel Entertainment.

>From Ian Tan (MFA 01) “Just wanted to add LOVECRAFT COUNTRY to your Emmy shoutouts. While the coveted nomination for editing eluded us, the show garnered a whopping 18 Emmy nominations including “Outstanding Drama Series.” I’m keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of big, well-deserved wins for the cast and crew.”  NOTE:  Ian is Editor for LOVECRAFT COUNTRY.

>From Octevia Robinson (BFA ADA 15) “Congrats to all the FSU alums who are Emmy nominees / worked on Emmy nominated shows. I worked on HBO’s Lovecraft Country for a few months last year as a VFX Coordinator, and among the many categories it was nominated for, it was nominated for Outstanding Special Visual Effects. So proud of the amazing work the team made for such an incredible show.”

Congratulations to Cindy Rago (MFA 05) who has just accepted a position as a producer for Warner Brothers Aimaation!

>From Jessica Schilling (MFA 03) “For the last several years I've been focused on documentary editing, on some indie doc features and more recently on the doc series "Defying Gravity: The Untold Story of Women's Gymnastics" for YouTube Originals and the first season of "Dear..." for Apple+ TV. Since October of 2020, I've been an editor at MasterClass and really enjoying the company and the projects there!”

Erika Stone, Film School Acting faculty, will be participating in the. Palaver Tree Theater Co.’s Phoenix Short Play Fest July 22-24/29-31.  She will be in the play Mrs. Sorken.  You can get more information and order tickets at https://www.palavertreetheater.org/

And follow me over on insta @allyn.aston if you would like. I’m terrible at promoting myself so I could use all the followers I can get at this point more singles to come!”

>From Dani Fiondella (MFA Writing 19) “Hi all! My company, Vintage-T Music, is hosting a RoundTable event with a talented panel of music industry professionals! This is a collaborative and welcoming conversation about the industry and experiences that have shaped the journey of our panelists. Please check out our company social media pages, @vintagetmusic, where you can find more details on the event. Here is the registration link if you would like to attend this virtual zoom event at 7:30 pm EST on July 29th! Vintage-T RoundTable Registration<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mailchi.mp/69c8f896c831/vintage-t-roundtable__;!!PhOWcWs!mTY813w0qRZBooHej4_jT8C0fSlkVFB5Ka7RYNqUd7bd2iroPiWpPy_Hedgm6dc$>”

JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN OJAI, CALIFORNIA:
Environmental documentary film production company Big Picture Ranch in Ojai, CA (winner of over 100 film awards including Best Documentary Sundance) hiring two new employees - Production Assistant and Assistant Editor:
Film Production Coordinator/Assistant - full time Production Coordinator/Directors’ Assistant. Ideal candidate is mission driven, extremely energetic, tech savvy, good with film equipment, motivated, has some limited film/video experience, good communicator, excellent multitasker, detail oriented, works well from lists and wants to jump into a dynamic and exciting production environment to learn and grow. Position entails coordinating: equipment, film shoots, film vehicles, emails, phone calls as well as some on set assistance, driving to and from production houses in LA, film festival management, shipping of film materials and other various production related tasks (i.e. picking up mail, making coffee, personal assistant work etc.) Must have your own car and be able to live in the Ventura/Ojai area and not afraid to get hands dirty and do grunt work. Please send at least three references and resume. Email grace at bigpictureranch.com put in subject line DIRECTORS' ASSISTANT APPLICATION
Film Assistant Editor - Full time Assistant Editor for our next big eco doc. Ideal candidate is tech savvy, good with film equipment, motivated, has editing experience on a major film editing program (AVID or Premiere), ***DETAIL ORIENTED***, ****VERY ORGANIZED****, a team player, works well from lists and wants to jump into a dynamic and exciting production environment to learn and grow. Position entails working under editors and directors to organize hundreds of hours of footage in a fast and efficient manner, making string outs, synching audio, cataloging, keeping spreadsheets and helping the editors find clips. Must have your own car and be able to live in the Ventura/Ojai area. Please send at least three references and resume. Email grace at bigpictureranch.com put in subject line: ASSISTANT EDITOR APPLICATION

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – July 22, 2021

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) is a Semi-Finalist in the Documentary category for the 2021 Student Academy Awards. Finalists will be announced

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at Atlanta Docufest, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.docufest.com/.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Feminist Film Festival in Bucharest, Romania, September 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.artfusion.ro/portfolio/join-our-feminist-september/.

Quarantined (BFA Doc 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/.

Inside My House (BFA Doc 2021 Gabby Carbone/William Andrews) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Film Society’s Movie Night in Oldsmar on July 20th. For more information about this series, go to www.tampabayfilmsociety.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for competition in the New York Lift-Off Film Festival in July. For more information about this competition, go to https://liftoff.network/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening and is a finalist at Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the inaugural Bridgeport Film Fest in Connecticut, July 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.bridgeportfilmfest.org<http://www.bridgeportfilmfest.org/>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org/>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Horror/Thriller, Best Cinematography and Best Actor in the Student Film categories at the Brightside Tavern Shorts Fest in Jersey City, New Jersey on July 31. For more information about this festival, go to brightsidetavernfilmfestival.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the New York Flash Film Festival in Brooklyn on August 1. For more information about this festival, go to newyorkflashfilmfestival.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Girl Improved Short Film & Television Festival in Austin, Texas, August 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com<http://girlimproved.com/>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Columbus Black International Film Festival in Ohio, August 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.columbusbiff.com<http://www.columbusbiff.com>.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.