[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.15.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 15 12:47:18 EDT 2021

URGENT from Reb: The Hollywood Reporter is about to release their yearly film school rankings and we all know they under-rank FSU every year. Please contact the Hollywood Reporter TODAY and tell them why you think the film school is the best film school in the country and deserves to be in their top ten list of film schools. If you know someone at THR, call them now! If not, email ben.svetkey at thr.com<mailto:ben.svetkey at thr.com> and convince him. Please! And thank you!

Congratulations to Jim Lakin (BFA 01) who has been nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series for his work on Hacks! And to James Laxton (BFA 03) who was nominated for his cinematography on The Underground Railroad and Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) who was nominated for his directing https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/2021-emmy-nominations-list-1235016194/   If I’ve missed anyone, please let me know – the list is LONG and we’d love to know if you worked on a nominated project.

>From Andrew Walton (BFA 19) “Still working as a VFX artist at the same company (Big Lazy Panda), and it's going well so far, but I also am head developer for a video game on the side (creative head, lead artist) alongside a small team of creatives, and about 9 months into the development cycle for the game, and it's going great so far (we are well past the point of abandoning the project at this point so this will be seen to completion)!  In summation, it's a 3D, top down 5-player cooperative dungeon crawler/roguelike game that emphasizes exploration, combat, puzzle solving, time manipulation and infinite variation and duration (not beatable but the objective is to see how far you can make it before you die). A long ways to go before we make it public for play testing, but internally we have a lot of progress in the departments of sound design/scoring, programming the procedurally generated dungeon layout for infinite variation, combat mechanics and character animations, 2D/3D assets for the environment, interactive fluid simulation and volumetric lighting, VR-based motion capture for modular/procedural bosses well as a document detailing all we need to do left and how to do it that encroaches on 400 pages of notes, etc...”

>From Nick Markart (BFA 19) “I am currently working as a privately hired screenwriter for an author and his publishing group. I am adapting one of his novels into a screenplay, and from there we are working on raising the money to shoot the film independently. I love the story and am very excited to shoot the film in the near future.”

Congratulations to Josh Smooha (BFA 12) who is the Showrunner's Assistant on Pen15 on Hulu now!

Jonathan King (MFA 92) was Executive Producer for Stillwater.  Read a Indiwire article at https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/matt-damon-stillwater-cannes-reviews-oscars-theaters-1234649957/

>From Chavez Caley (MFA 19) “A lot has changed in my life since graduation. I moved to Tampa Fl, for a few months, but finding film work in that area was hard at the time. I was able to work as a tech crew Pa for an Amazon Studios reality show in Miami called The Pack. I moved from Tampa, FL  to Atlanta Ga, in March of 2020 when everything shut down. While stuck in the house, I was able to finish writing my first feature film. I found work during the pandemic through film school alums Demetrius Martin, David Chambers, and Aimèe Casey. In the sound and grip department.  I then transitioned into the world of the first-team production assistant for a few Lifetime and Hallmark-made for tv films. I’ve also worked on a feature film called Southern Gospel as a background production assistant as well as a health and safety production assistant.  From there, I was able to network with crew members and make my way to Netflix. I was a Key health and safety officer for eight months on Netflix’s Raising Dion at Screen Gem Studios.  Recently I’ve joined IATSE local 479 film union where I am working in the video playback/ assist department on Fox’s The Resident. I bought my first home in Georgia and I am engaged now planning a wedding with my beautiful Fiancèe. “

>From Melissa Carter (MFA 96) “ My son Elijah Newman has caught the film bug. If you could put out there that he would love to volunteer to act, PA, crew up on any shorts, indie films etc going on this summer in LA — he’s game.  He’s a film major at University of Oregon, a rising junior.
Elijah Newman
818-480-8472
Elijahgeorge123 at gmail.com<mailto:Elijahgeorge123 at gmail.com>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – July 15, 2021

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for competition in the New York Lift-Off Film Festival in July. For more information about this competition, go to https://liftoff.network/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Horror/Thriller, Best Cinematography and Best Actor in the Student Film categories at the Brightside Tavern Shorts Fest in Jersey City, New Jersey on July 31. For more information about this festival, go to brightsidetavernfilmfestival.com.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) won Best Indiana Film at the PopCon International Film Festival in Indianapolis, Indiana, July 9-11. It was also nominated for Best Student Film For more information about this festival, go to popcon.us.

5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly) and Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2021 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Girl Improved Short Film & Television Festival in Austin, Texas, August 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com<http://girlimproved.com/>.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the New York Flash Film Festival in Brooklyn on August 1. For more information about this festival, go to newyorkflashfilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Columbus Black International Film Festival in Ohio, August 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.columbusbiff.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Independent Film Festival in Canada on July 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://vancouverindiefestival.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt), Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis)  and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in July, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com/>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry PR) were selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Smoky Mountain Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 10-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.smokymountainfilmfest.com<http://www.smokymountainfilmfest.com/>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening and is a finalist at Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the inaugural Bridgeport Film Fest in Connecticut, July 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.bridgeportfilmfest.org<http://www.bridgeportfilmfest.org/>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org/>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.