[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.2.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 2 13:42:05 EDT 2021

>From Annushka Almendros (MFA Writing 16) “I’m happy to say that after years of being unsure how to combine my love for production and desire to be in development, I found a happy medium! I’m now a development production coordinator at Disney TV Animation. I get to work with a bunch of potential-showrunners on a myriad of projects to create animated pilots for greenlight approval across Disney Channel, Disney+, and Disney Jr. Even though I’ve just started, I’ve already learned a lot and am looking forward to staying here for a while!”

>From Ashley James (MFA 20) “It has been a crazy (almost) year since leaving Tallahassee. I left last July to start my internship with Crazy Legs Productions, founded by Alum Tom Cappello, who I had spoke with last summer. They were one of the 1st companies back up and filming at that time so I was immediately on set. I technically did two semesters with them. July thru December but it felt a lot shorter. By September I was hired by their Life by the Ton Crew for paid work as aSet PA and never went back to the office much. They typically let their different teams hire you after your first 'semester' with them I learned. Overall Crazy Legs was a great first step. I still utilise the connections I made there and they were very open to meeting with the interns. I think I spoke to every single one of their upper echelon folks. The FSU film alumni network got me my first big Studio gig as a covid zone monitor for  Netflix's Red Notice. Other alums would later join that team - Josh Walton, Juhyun Jeong, Spencer Elmore, I'm sure others also.  My Crazy Legs connections got me on as Covid Inventory PA for a Warner Bros Pilot. Covid Dept proved to be a nice way to move up. It is so undefined as to what your roles are so as a PA I added a lot of skills to my resume. From there I went to another Warner Bros pilot, The Powerpuff Girls Live action series. It was short lived as my previous manager offered me a position as a Production Secretary on a Nickelodeon made for TV film, A Very Loud Christmas, based on the animated Loud House Series.  I was able to recommend Spencer Elmore for our Office PA who worked with us for over half the production before accepting a better offer elsewhere. That ended and I started as Production Secretary on Seasons 3 and 4 of Atlanta, along with Will O'Neal and Costa Karalis who are both Office PAs. I have been lucky, since October I haven't had to really look for work. Mostly it has been a timing thing of what offers to accept, when. It's been an extremely busy year so I'm looking forward to some time off once this wraps. I'm also working as an Associate Artistic Director at 7Stages Theatre in Little Five Points, heading a lot of their virtual content. I met some incredible young filmmakers through them that I've been able to produce.”

Film School Community Liaison Dave Schmeling and writing partner David Pasquarelli's screenplay "AOK" has been selected as a finalist in the 30th Woods Hole Film Festival. The tale is about two probationary angels who flex their dubious pastoral skills as well as manufacture a needed miracle at AOK, a run-down RV park where they have been assigned by their vindictive mortal supervisor.

Harbor adds colour scientist CJ Julian (MFA 01)  to talent roster.   Read the article at
https://tinyurl.com/w7f45d49

Terry Beck (BFA 18): It’s been a while! After two and half years on The CW’s The Flash, I’m excited to announce that I have accepted a Visual Effects Coordinator position on the upcoming Lionsgate feature film, Borderlands - a film adaptation of the wildly famous video game of the same name. I’ll be working with some FSU alumni and I’m really excited to see where this wild adventure takes me!

>From Matt Voor (BFA 14) “more exciting news from NYC. I have been offered a 2 hour monthly slot on a local radio station here in Chinatown, the first episode will air June 22nd 3-5pm EST. The first episode features the debut of rock supergroup E.T. with an hour of live music, featuring Marc Matchak and Horacio Crespo on guitar, James Emrick on bass and myself on keyboard. Then, Infinite Soundcloud Niches featuring a reading by Soph, an hour mix by Paul (from Bible), and the premier of a new Edolls track. More info can be found at https://tinyurl.com/255s6ns4

>From Tyler Cap? [BFA 13] and Jason Ambler [BFA 09] - We are looking for production support at Falcon's Digital Media! We currently have a position open for a Production Coordinator, and are looking for a candidate with at least some experience with using ShotGrid (formerly Shotgun), and an interest in growing in the world of CG, VFX and animation production management. Falcon's is a design and media firm, located in Orlando, FL, that specializes in "themed entertainment." We produce media for theme park rides, museum exhibits, and have recently been taking on more work in episodic animation. This could be a great opportunity for any recent graduates or alums from the Digital program still early in their careers.
If interested, you may reach out to Tyler at tcapo at falconsdigital.com<mailto:tcapo at falconsdigital.com> but please also submit an application on our website here: https://tinyurl.com/y7z4486n
Our websites:
https://tinyurl.com/3bc2n37f
Our reel:
https://tinyurl.com/343he5zm

>From Travis Newton (MFA 08) “Just wanted to send you a quick note to let people know we’re looking for part-time editing and film studies instructors for the fall semester at Western Kentucky University. If any alums are in the Nashville area, we’re within commuting distance. The film studies courses could potentially be taught online. If any one is interested, please email me at travis.newton at wku.edu<mailto:travis.newton at wku.edu>.

The Warren Report is coming to you from beautiful Saint George Island where it is pouring down rain today!   And Brenda Mills is taking a real vacation – no Festival Update today while she melts away in Oregon.