[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 1.28.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jan 28 16:56:44 EST 2021

Never Rarely Sometimes Always, which Barry Jenkins. (BFA 03)  and Mark Ceryak (BFA 03) executive produced, Adele Romanski (BFA 04) produced and Tatiana Bears (BFA 13) co-produced, was just announced as a nominee for Best Feature at the Independent Spirit Awards! Other alums worked on it too (Michael Kefeyalew (BFA 13), Austin Smoak (BFA 05), Rob Bevis (BFA 18) ).

From Francisco Cabrera (BFA 20) “After a couple of months as Script Coordinator & Writer Assistant on Netflix's Gentefied, I was given the opportunity to co-write an episode of the show. A dream come true. Excited to begin production next month, learning a ton through the process. Thankful I focused on TV writing as my Honors Thesis Project while in school.”

From TS Nowlin (BFA 03) “I've spent most of the pandemic working with Netflix on a series of projects. BRIGHT 2, starring Will Smith and Joel Edgerton will be going into production later this year, along with CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (a sci-fi reimagining of the Rudyard Kipling classic). In addition, THE ADAM PROJECT, based on a spec I wrote back in 2012, is currently filming in Vancouver and GODZILLA VS KONG (my first writer's room experience) will  be released in theaters and on HBO Max around Easter.”

From Ryan Spindell (MFA 07) “Holy crap! The Mortuary Collection has been nominated in three categories for the FANGORIA<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/FANGORIA/?__cft__*5b0*5d=AZUApRjMPDLQgqCm1vhHeLmoXO22zLd7_ykpFjICZI4L82vT4ipU7WwuJSno7UxuIejosYji1kLR79h-YNZTXBLdIQDC7u9YUzEIqdVW5p1coQaacLj0BqKbBV_HbrPM6vk&__tn__=kK-R__;JSU!!PhOWcWs!n20RiIbgT36qo8Ej3LpGnv8Oepv2AWCFgOk3RntpaaW2Uai-8sYw8HsXq3CUn88$> Chainsaw Awards! If you have a few spare minutes, click the link below and give our amazing team some love!  https://letterboxd.com/fangoria/list/fangorias-2020-chainsaw-award-nominees/

From Yidng Ma (MFA 16) “I have been working in China for a while. I recently just finished editing a romantic feature film and a 24-episode Chinese TV drama series. It is a story about professional video game players’ daily life. Betty Jiang and Vivian Zhao from our film school worked for me as my assistants on the TV show. We had a long but fun time together as an ‘FSU Editing Team.’ Last year, I worked with Yingxiang, and edited Eva Jin’s two films, ‘Saga of Light’ and  ‘Twin Blades.’ Both were great films and it was great to work and learn from Eva. The two films will be in cinema soon I believe.”

Dave Schmeling (Film School Community Liaison) and David Pasquarelli's "Invisible" was a Quarter Finalist in the 2020 Miami Screenplay Awards. Invisible was also a Semi-finalist in the 2020 NYC Screenwriting Awards and an Official Selection at the LGBTQ Unbordered International Film Festival. The tale taps two top social issues, aging and gender, in a fast-paced, positive and entertaining style.

From Rachel Shirley (BFA 15). “The post-production house I work for reorganized into Oak Leaf Productions, a full-service production company! I'm their Jr. Editor on staff and have been working on a lot of TV and Online content. We’re looking to hire a motion graphics artist, post producer, assistant editor, and content creator for our Huntington Beach location ASAP. If you’re interested, please send cover letter and resume to Executive Post-Producer Colby Eaton (ceaton at lunaunited.com<mailto:ceaton at lunaunited.com>) Also feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions (rshirley at oakleafproductions.com<mailto:rshirley at oakleafproductions.com>) Site - https://oakleafproductions.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/oakleafproductions.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!icbwn8HZjeSR63sUXLqux8k98Dzu5GX2YtOE8AVX-ZZfGGEvtVSYKzMtHDkWvfw$>

Virtual DC Comics Editorial Intern- Summer 2021. Go here for complete information:  https://www.warnermediacareers.com/job/burbank/virtual-dc-comics-editorial-intern-summer-2021/1174/18564029

Gail and I got our second COVID vaccine today – we celebrated by going to lunch inside a restaurant!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – January 29, 2021

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) won Best Original Score at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival on December 12. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Providence Children’s Film Festival in Rhode Island, February 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to providencechildrensfilmfestival.org/.

The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) was awarded Best Documentary Short at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Miami Jewish Film Festival, April 14-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamijewishfilmfestival.com.

Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes, May 11-22, and will also participate in a virtual preview screening February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry), Jacqueline is a Trashy Name (MFA D1 2019 Eli Barry), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com.

White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at Southern Oasis Film Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee, to be screened virtually at a time that will be announced soon. For more information about this festival, go to www.southernoasisff.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Dam Short Film Festival in Boulder City, Nevada, February 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.damshortfilm.org<http://www.damshortfilm.org>.

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) selected for screening at Love Your Shorts in Sanford, Florida, February 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com<http://www.loveyourshorts.com>.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) was selected for screening at the Bill Johnson Black Film Festival in Gary, Indiana, February 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://glentheater.wixsite.com/billjohnsonfilm.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) were selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

As He Lays Dead (MFA D2 2017 Sean Carroll) was selected for screening at the London Rolling Film Festival, February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rollingfilmfestival.com/.

Clave (MFA Thesis 2020 Alex Argiles) was selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Mississippi, March 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.oxfordfilmfest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the (virtual) Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 28 – March 14. For more information about this festival, go to www.paff.org<http://www.paff.org>.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at Through Women’s Eyes, a sidebar of the Sarasota Film Festival, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com.