[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 1.8.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 8 13:20:32 EST 2021

I’m very sad to report that over the break we lost one of our BFA 3 students, Evan Sparks. Evan’s family is going to delay a celebration of life at his home in VA until May. In the meantime, condolences could be sent to:
Jim, Jenni & Katelyn Sparks
8951 Cross Chase Circle
Lorton, VA 22079
The Dean has set up a memorial for Evan in the student conference room where students, faculty and staff can  leave notes, photos, or other items which will be gathered and given to Evan’s family.

From Brook Durham (BFA 94)  “My latest Hallmark Movie Premiered Sunday (12/20) on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries --
https://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/project-christmas-wish
From Erin Ferraro-Selvaggio (BFA 97) “I’m one of two lead producers working with Netflix and their Awards/ Event teams to produce content for their films and shows... Netflix has a site called FYSEE TV and THE PLAYLIST and we produce, direct, and create a lot of the content found on these sites - like this "Creative Collaboration with Chris Mundy, Tom Pelphrey and Miki Johnson for Ozark" https://fyseetv.netflixawards.com/video/creative-collaborations-with-tom-pelphrey-chris-mundy-and-miki-johnson-ozark and this panel for RATCHED: https://fyseetv.netflixawards.com/video/ratched-virtual-panel AND also this fun music piece we did https://playlistnetflix.com/hillbilly-elegy/ (just to name a couple)”

From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10) “I just came aboard a documentary feature project entitled Snowland as an Executive Producer.   SNOWLAND, explores the fantasy world created by Cora Lee Witt as she looks back at her arranged, plural marriage at the age of 14 in the Short Creek polygamous group. Her journey to find the courage to speak out and believe in herself is a vital story of women's empowerment.  To support the project, I am matching funds up to $3000 on the Seed and Spark campaign.  Here is a link for anyone who is interested and might want to contribute. https://www.seedandspark.com/fund/snowland#story<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.seedandspark.com/fund/snowland*story__;Iw!!PhOWcWs!k1v9zaMhOD5Sceehw5Hv8k2Hbx0JKQQOmHAo3Iz3eFNBYI7DP58FRDp51L1-seI$>”

From Molly Roland (MFA 17) “I could not be happier right now. I am so grateful for everyone who supports me both in Florida and Atlanta. You all know I get pretty down in the dumps about how slow my career feels like it’s moving sometimes, but it’s things like this that remind me I still got that fire it takes to be here in this business. I definitely look forward to what 2021 brings for me and film. Maybe “For Laughs” the short film? Fingers crossed.”   NOTE:   Molly won the Grand Prize in the Red Script contest  for her short screenplay For Laughs.

From Gina Rhodes, Executive Director of the Dave School in Orlando:  We are looking for a subject matter expert to develop two online courses for us.  It’s a paying contract.  The descriptions are below. Contact  Gina Rhodes at grhodes at daveschool.com<mailto:grhodes at daveschool.com> if you are interested or have questions.
- DCP 175 – Digital Editing

7 week online course covering the basics of digital motion picture editing & editorial theory for VFX & Animation. This course will take student from the basics of editing in Adobe Premiere (from ingestion and footage/data management to color matching/grading, basic titling and export/delivery). Topics will include footage formats (including image sequences), basic editing techniques, editorial theory, basic footage translation techniques, basic stabilization techniques, basic color grading/matching, basic understanding of scopes and how to use them for basic footage diagnostics, white balance, basic post effects, basic titling, basic audio leveling, normalization, editing, basic sound design, export, compression. At the completion of this course, students will be able to edit VFX/ animation sequences, demo reels, multi-camera material and have a basic understanding of emerging technology editing such as 360/180 2D & 3D stereoscopic VR.

- DCP 250 – Digital Cinematography

7 week online course covering the basics of digital motion picture virtual cinematography & theory.  This course will give the student the basic conceptualization of the VFX/Animation production process (pre-pro/animatic, pre-viz, production, fx-viz, post/post-viz, editorial, delivery), the concepts of film back/media format, aspect ratio, frame rate, ISO, aperture, shutter speed and the interrelationships between these and exposure/DOF (as they relate to physical and virtual cameras, and the differences), shot and frame composition, camera lensing & choice theory, camera placement, direction, staging, camera movement, inter-scene relationships/shot flow, cinematic design & theory. At the completion of this course, students will be able to create physical (using a camera, manual smart phone, or DSLR) and virtual (using Unreal Engine) cinematography sequences which emulate their real-world professional cinematic counterparts.

Very happy to say that both Gail and I have had the 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine!  Kind of a fluke the way we got it, but we are very happy to have it.  I feel like a different person and plan to start back to work in the office when our students return from remote classes on 1/19.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – January 7, 2021

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Dam Short Film Festival in Boulder City, Nevada, February 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.damshortfilm.org<http://www.damshortfilm.org>.

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) was selected for screening at Love Your Shorts in Sanford, Florida, February 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com<http://www.loveyourshorts.com>.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) was selected for screening at the Bill Johnson Black Film Festival in Gary, Indiana, February 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://glentheater.wixsite.com/billjohnsonfilm.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis), The Reason Caroline Hates Eggs (MFA QD2 2020 Brook Lee) and Pedo/Looks Like Nothing (BFA Thesis 2020 Alex Ullom) were invited to screen in the January edition of the Central Florida Film Slam at the Enzian Theater in Orlando. For more information about this showcase, go to enzian.org.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at Through Women’s Eyes, a sidebar of the Sarasota Film Festival, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com.

Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head film festival in San Francisco, December 11-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfindie.com<http://www.sfindie.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Cift Festival of Toronto on January 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://cyrusmonthlyfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis), All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.