[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 2.25.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 25 16:48:37 EST 2021

KeyLight Virtual Screening with HollyShorts - Thursday, February 25th   That’s tonight!   We are happy to announce the titles for this year's KeyLight screening. Congratulations to all of our 2020 classes  filmmakers!
·         Clave
·         Wing It
·         Smell the Trees
·         Pedo
·         Red Pad of Courage
·         FO[U]R
·         Reanimated
·         La’Diablesse Curse
·         Pine Mountain Overnight

The festival has created a unique ticket code for us on their virtual ticketing platform, bitpix. When you click the link below you will have to create a bitpix account if you do not already have one (very easy), then ignore the payment info request and instead, plug in the code below for a 100% discount. You will receive a confirmation email with all the access info you need! Don’t worry if the email mentions the “annual comedy shorts screening”, the correct show will appear in your bitpix library. The screening will be available starting at 7pm this evening  (in your time zone) and go on through the weekend until midnight on Sunday.Ticketing site:
https://bitpixtv.com/orders/customer_info?o=48806Unique code:
FSUFEB21

Matt Lopez (BFA 93) is set to write and executive produce https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/abc-promised-land-pilot-1234912519/amp/?__twitter_impression=true (edited)

From Molly Roland (MFA 17) Was this movie shot in one day? Yes. Was it made with my friends and no real actors except for Ashley? It stars Colton Clements and Sam Goodwin (both BFA 14) Absolutely. Is it a rip off of that Matt Damon Movie from 1999? Uhh... Maybe? Regardless, "The Talented Mr. Penwell" is going live on Rockpunch's youtube channel! Be sure to check it out!
https://m.youtube.com/watch...<https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3wBnbGkVp4XxSPTwH0f4pNL1YmG3TUEgYpDNdg099XeKubEBXboHxYpos&v=395-VJPGis8&feature=youtu.be>

From Brett Lee, Film School Development Officer:  We’re less than two weeks away from FSU’s 10th Annual Great Give. The film school will continue to focus on Meryl’s Alumni Development Fund, which is designed to keep our community strong, and support alumni-related activities. If you’re able, please show Meryl the love, and help us strengthen the fund. The fun begins Wednesday, March 10th @ 12:01 AM EST and only lasts for 24 hours! More details to come and we’re looking forward to crushing our $20,000 goal! This fund is for you. Help us, help you and donate to Meryl’s Alumni Development Fund!

Carissa Dorson (BFA 11) - For the last few months I have had the pleasure of being director of photography on "A Little Late with Lilly Singh" on NBC.  It's a late night show if you take out the studio/desk and replace it with a lot of sketch comedy/behind the scenes content.  It feels like we're making something fresh and unique, infused with Lilly's amazing energy!  Will Sampson (BFA '09) is my B-camera operator and Iliana Ipes (BFA '18) is our AC.  I feel lucky to be working on a show with great people during this time.  Episodes come out Monday through Thursday nights and can be viewed on Hulu the next day:
https://www.hulu.com/series/a-little-late-with-lilly-singh-2a20ab04-766f-4b36-b39a-ac286f5f3ac0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.hulu.com/series/a-little-late-with-lilly-singh-2a20ab04-766f-4b36-b39a-ac286f5f3ac0__;!!PhOWcWs!gywrPaUOC9oRvZyASL9kWIjpME6stwxAXtMa6lu8-UQcO_-9T-mfpIzwaINECiw$>

From Colton Clements (BFA 14) “I just wanted to let you know that I'll be moving to LA in a week! It may be temporary, it may be longer, who knows right now. I'll be working on an 8-month stop motion animated tv show as a camera technician. It's new territory for me, being animation, but it's 8 hour days and no actors, which is hard to pass up.”

From Austin Smoak (BFA 05) “New trailer for Last Call, The Movie an indie comedy from IFC Films, <https://www.facebook.com/lastcallthedelcomovie/?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVf29rKdKLnRIi0NUJ39kBvCgYRY7bV-aX6DQ9Z-49-iI2H0jm50Ppip4yUskF-nphjVJNG8qg7nyCRnyRkrUrr3961dIxulyTNo4IqB5P2dtKn0sSMhpV61VVqyTMMppuhpoBrfQZTzVgbgFYEz20f&__tn__=kK-R>
starring Jeremy Piven, Taryn Manning, and Bruce Dern.  (read the Deadline article at https://deadline.com/.../ifc-films-acquires-feature.../...<https://deadline.com/2021/01/ifc-films-acquires-feature-comedy-last-call-starring-bruce-dern-jeremy-piven-taryn-manning-1234665886/?fbclid=IwAR0-7ibUKtfgMQnA1A0BpGe8eTVr7gVAey91NHbvoehAXSVUKBEnh3U47YA>  I had the opportunity to be A-Cam Op and shoot 2nd Unit for this film. Worked with an awesome camera team and one of my favorite DPs to op for to date. It’s being released March 19.  I’m also doing covid compliance now as we wait for more work to come back. I used the time off during quarantine to get my EMT certification. Immediately after, I was hired by Netflix to work on Lin-Manuel’s Tick, Tick Boom and now am working on another Netflix feature.”

Urgent: Looking to hire Miami or Florida based line producer and below the line crew (including MUA, PAs, etc) for a premium fiction series shooting in South Florida this summer. Reach-out to me with your resumes and recommendations ASAP. Thank you!! Anna TEAMPREP10 at GMAIL.COM<mailto:TEAMPREP10 at GMAIL.COM>
Anna Margarita Albelo
Producer, Burning Bra Productions
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/__;!!PhOWcWs!kGcEyrE6kTqGz9gwfzwEcnogz-7XhFEi3wd4Vb1ObZuCzPp77bGtokThjY84x3o$>    Also, I produced the short film, Rosa by Suha Araj which qualified for the 2021 short action Oscars. It stars Jackie Cruz from Orange is the New Black and we hope to develop it into a series.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – February 25, 2021

Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in LA, April 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes, May 11-22, and will also participate in a virtual preview screening February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Providence Children’s Film Festival in Rhode Island, February 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to providencechildrensfilmfestival.org/.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) was selected for screening at the Bill Johnson Black Film Festival in Gary, Indiana, February 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://glentheater.wixsite.com/billjohnsonfilm.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) were selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

As He Lays Dead (MFA D2 2017 Sean Carroll) was selected for screening at the London Rolling Film Festival, February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rollingfilmfestival.com/.

Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry), Jacqueline is a Trashy Name (MFA D1 2019 Eli Barry), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong), For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com.

Clave (MFA Thesis 2020 Alex Argiles) was selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Mississippi, March 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.oxfordfilmfest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the (virtual) Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 28 – March 14. For more information about this festival, go to www.paff.org<http://www.paff.org>.

The Archway (BFA F3 2020 Lyndsie Zimmerman) was selected for screening in the Youth Showcase of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Film Festival in Seattle, March 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.mopop.or/sffsff.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/<http://www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Miami Jewish Film Festival, April 14-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamijewishfilmfestival.com.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at Through Women’s Eyes, a sidebar of the Sarasota Film Festival, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) has been selected as a finalist at the California Music Video & Film Awards on March 31 in San Francisco, and is nominated for Best LGBTQ Film, Best Short Music Film and Special Achievement in Social Justice and Hope. For more information about this festival, go to www.musicalvideoawards.com<http://www.musicalvideoawards.com>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Virtual Cinema Festival in Seattle, Washington, April 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.moonshinefilms.com/virtual-cinema-festival<http://www.moonshinefilms.com/virtual-cinema-festival>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.langstonseattle.org<http://www.langstonseattle.org>.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com.