[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 2.11.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 12 06:07:23 EST 2021

KeyLight Virtual Screening with HollyShorts - Thursday, February 25thWe are happy to announce the titles for this year's KeyLight screening. Congratulations to all of our 2020 classes  filmmakers!
·         Clave
·         Wing It
·         Smell the Trees
·         Pedo
·         Red Pad of Courage
·         FO[U]R
·         Reanimated
·         La’Diablesse Curse
·         Pine Mountain Overnight

HOW TO GAIN FREE ACCESS THE VIRTUAL SCREENING
We have a limited number of tickets for free access to offer, regular price per show is $10. If you are interested in grabbing a couple of tickets to this year's virtual screening, please email CMPA-Dean at fsu.edu<mailto:CMPA-Dean at fsu.edu> for more information including the screening link and discount code.Festival Website: http://www.hollyshorts.com/

From Ryan O’Connell (MFA 09) “I just released an original song and music video on YouTube called "Let Me Poop In Peace". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1Rfl6Cq_Y&t=81s. The premise is indeed ridiculous, but it's been my COVID lockdown labor of love since I successfully raised a modest budget on Kickstarter in July to produce the project. It stars yours truly, my four young children, and some shenanigans you'll never forget. Watch it and I promise you some laughs and surprises. If you like it please share, as I'm hoping to make a career shift into comedy music and this serves as a market test :).”

From Carolina Garrigo (MFA17) “I'm in Belfast for the year (as of last September) working on a degree in Creative Writing. The program covers both prose and scriptwriting, so I've been able to work on all types of writing which is really great. We're in the middle of lockdown right now, so classes are being held online. It's a challenge holding a workshop over Teams/Zoom as you all probably know well, but we've been making it work and learning a lot! This semester we've been workshopping various pieces and getting an insight into the film and literary industry in Northern Ireland. I'll begin my dissertation over the summer most likely focusing on screenwriting. Everyone here is so nice and the area is beautiful. It's tough being away from home during times like these, but I'm glad I've been able to do something new and focus on my work. I'll be here until September 2021 and if all goes well will hopefully be able to stick around and check out the scene here! “

Here's a trailer for The Ravine, almost starring Bill Kelly who acted in many of our films.  He was #11 on the credits list!   It was filmed in New Orleans and stars Eric Dane, Tori Polo, Leslie Uggams.  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=655102718558279

Another win for Dave Schmeling (Film School Community Liaison) and David Pasquarelli's popular screenplay "Invisible". Chicago Screenwriting Competition judges selected it a semi-finalist (top 10% of 1300 entries). The script unveils the challenges around aging and gender. Invisible was also a Quarter Finalist in the 2020 Miami Screenplay Awards and a Semi-finalist in the 2020 NYC Screenwriting Awards, as well as an Official Selection at the LGBTQ Unbordered International Film Festival.

From Victor Nunez, Film School Directing faculty:  “Looking for several skilled crew positions including Art Director, Property Master, and 2nd AD for a SAG Low Budget Theatrical Film (Paul Cohen is one of the Executive Producers) with a roughly six week production schedule to be shot in North Florida. Will cover transportation, housing, and meals.  Depending on experience, salary equal to that of all Keys including Producer, PD, DP, AD, AC, etc.   Principle photography begins 4/21/2021 and is scheduled to wrap 6/3/2021.  If you are interested contacted me at vnunez at fsu.edu<mailto:vnunez at fsu.edu>”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – February 11, 2021

Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Virtual Cinema Festival in Seattle, Washington, April 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.moonshinefilms.com/virtual-cinema-festival.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Dam Short Film Festival in Boulder City, Nevada, February 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.damshortfilm.org<http://www.damshortfilm.org>.

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) selected for screening at Love Your Shorts in Sanford, Florida, February 12-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.loveyourshorts.com<http://www.loveyourshorts.com>.

Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes, May 11-22, and will also participate in a virtual preview screening February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Providence Children’s Film Festival in Rhode Island, February 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to providencechildrensfilmfestival.org/.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) was selected for screening at the Bill Johnson Black Film Festival in Gary, Indiana, February 18-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://glentheater.wixsite.com/billjohnsonfilm.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) were selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

As He Lays Dead (MFA D2 2017 Sean Carroll) was selected for screening at the London Rolling Film Festival, February 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rollingfilmfestival.com/.

Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry), Jacqueline is a Trashy Name (MFA D1 2019 Eli Barry), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong), For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com.

Clave (MFA Thesis 2020 Alex Argiles) was selected for screening at the Oxford Film Festival in Mississippi, March 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.oxfordfilmfest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the (virtual) Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 28 – March 14. For more information about this festival, go to www.paff.org<http://www.paff.org>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 26-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/<http://www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com/>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Miami Jewish Film Festival, April 14-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamijewishfilmfestival.com.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at Through Women’s Eyes, a sidebar of the Sarasota Film Festival, March 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com.