[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.26.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:09:27 EDT 2021

The “Wrap” is doing their film school ranking again and they asking us to fill out a survey that ranks all of the schools. Let’s keep our rankings up the best we can!   Y’all were incredible help in contacting the HR prior to their rankings, so let’s do it again!   Thank you! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/99BTD2Z

>From Steve Acevedo (MFA 05): If you’re in Los Angeles, come check out the world premiere of my feature film, LOVE AND BASEBALL, Saturday, August 28 @ 7pm at the TCL Chinese 6 theatres. The film is in competition at the Dances With Films Festival. You can buy tickets here! https://danceswithfilms.com/home-2021/love-and-baseball/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/danceswithfilms.com/home-2021/love-and-baseball/__;!!PhOWcWs!jmiXItxQNWLOrH58vOdc62QxGKdatmLCmuVvNlJXXftv6doqQ07pAafmhcEjIOk$>

>From Marty Lang (MFA 04): I'm thrilled to announce that CHOMPY & THE GIRLS, a feature horror/comedy I produced, will be released in North America by Freestyle Digital Media! CHOMPY stars Christy St. John (HBO'S upcoming THE SEX LIVES OF COLLEGE GIRLS) and features Udo Kier. It's about a young woman whose first meeting with her biological father goes from awkward to alarming when they witness a man swallow a young girl in one bite ... and then come after them. It'll have a one-week theatrical run at the Malco Ridgeway Cinema in Memphis, starting September 3, with a September 14 digital release, on satellite through DirecTV, Dish and Sling TV, on demand, and digitally through iTunes, Amazon Video, Vudu, Xbox and Google Play. Definitely check it out! It's a weird, wild ride of a movie. I think you'll enjoy it.

Nicole Groton’s (BFA 11) “I'd like to thank the #Academy<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/academy?__eep__=6&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWFBcIFfDiGNbj3z_xM5QtaCEVwzW4egrHQ84lAQTdxKYHIlGXQSBzq9jI71ax8AmGUg_6io_IlAhWLTs1KgvA4awtyRyJHmsGDZm0cS0JhIF7s2lV3eIbU8c9h5qRNQlTqKHUOd1emTJD-MKGut7uFe0ZB2IyY9YpwStwAtZ9eB236M7RMP7r31kHTddGMXIA&__tn__=*NK-R> but FOR REAL!!! I found out on Saturday that my weird little magical realism feature #script<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/script?__eep__=6&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWFBcIFfDiGNbj3z_xM5QtaCEVwzW4egrHQ84lAQTdxKYHIlGXQSBzq9jI71ax8AmGUg_6io_IlAhWLTs1KgvA4awtyRyJHmsGDZm0cS0JhIF7s2lV3eIbU8c9h5qRNQlTqKHUOd1emTJD-MKGut7uFe0ZB2IyY9YpwStwAtZ9eB236M7RMP7r31kHTddGMXIA&__tn__=*NK-R> HURRICANE HENNLEY has advanced to the Quarterfinal Round of the 2021 Academy #Nicholl<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/nicholl?__eep__=6&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWFBcIFfDiGNbj3z_xM5QtaCEVwzW4egrHQ84lAQTdxKYHIlGXQSBzq9jI71ax8AmGUg_6io_IlAhWLTs1KgvA4awtyRyJHmsGDZm0cS0JhIF7s2lV3eIbU8c9h5qRNQlTqKHUOd1emTJD-MKGut7uFe0ZB2IyY9YpwStwAtZ9eB236M7RMP7r31kHTddGMXIA&__tn__=*NK-R> Fellowships in #Screenwriting<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/screenwriting?__eep__=6&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWFBcIFfDiGNbj3z_xM5QtaCEVwzW4egrHQ84lAQTdxKYHIlGXQSBzq9jI71ax8AmGUg_6io_IlAhWLTs1KgvA4awtyRyJHmsGDZm0cS0JhIF7s2lV3eIbU8c9h5qRNQlTqKHUOd1emTJD-MKGut7uFe0ZB2IyY9YpwStwAtZ9eB236M7RMP7r31kHTddGMXIA&__tn__=*NK-R>!!! I have been applying to this fellowship ever since I moved to LA and this is the first time I have ever received an email from them that didn't start with "We regret..." This is seriously a huge honor and makes all the hard work and rewrites feel worth it. Now who wants to make it with me?! THANK YOU”

Welcome back to the Film School Campus to George Reasner (MFA 94), noted cinematographer, who will be teaching for the Fall Semester.

>From Tony DeNiro (MFA 18) “We just wrapped up a 4th season of “Ryan’s Mystery Playdate” at Nickelodeon, but this season I was promoted from Office PA to Associate Producer. So if you see any masked characters in the show (Monkey, Ninja, etc)… that’s probably me under there. After that, I found myself as a 1st AD on a series where we shot 120 pages in 4 days. If it sounds crazy, it’s because it IS crazy, but my FSU training really came in handy that week!  Now, you can find me playing for a tribute band called “Fan Halen” and looking for the next gig that gets me closer to Directors and Showrunners.”

Chile’s Fabula promotes Andrew Hevia  (BFA 06) to head of North American office!!!!   Read the Screenplay Daily article at https://www.screendaily.com/news/chiles-fabula-promotes-andrew-hevia-to-head-of-north-american-office-exclusive/5161327.article
Ali Bell (BFA  99) has twin girls – Indiana and Olive, 4 months old!   Ali started a new job in 2020, two weeks before the pandemic.  She is back to producing and working with The Lonely Island (Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone’s company).   Check out season 2 of I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE on Netflix. They also just wrapped season 2B of PEN15.

>From Noah Camenker (MFA 14) “"We got vaccinated, we wore masks, and we made a short film. Every time I make another short, I learn more about the craft. If you have an extra eight minutes you should check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQTh2HCylU&ab_channel=Noah"

>From Corey Crumpacker (BFA 15)“After doing a theatrical premiere in Austin and Tallahassee in March and April I’ve been working on finding my film, White Fire, a home. After a few months of digging (and lots of learning...) I’m excited to have locked a distribution deal through a small distributor called Brighter Moon Entertainment. They're brokering the deal to place the film on about 20 streaming services that will be launching September 3rd for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. And in November it will release onto the larger VOD platforms (Google Play, Apple TV, Roku, Vimeo On-Demand, etc.).We have also booked multiple in-person screening events for the coming fall through various University childhood cancer fundraising events (FSU, UF, University of Illinois, LECOM med school in PA, and a few more). The film is being integrated into the events to help tell the story of what a family and child go through when faced with a cancer diagnosis. It’ll be a great payoff to put the film in front of hundreds and sometimes thousands of people that are passionate about this cause and the families that experience the same story in real life.A lot more in the works, but we’re starting to pick up steam. This whole process has been such a journey, but grateful it’s about to (hopefully) find some eyeballs.Massive thanks again to the Torchlight program. Definitely couldn’t have pulled this off at the level we did without the immense support!To check out the trailer and for more info about where to watch the film visitwww.whitefirefilm.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.whitefirefilm.com__;!!PhOWcWs!m_gsp1WGQuEhlzKJWqLktdHIDBn3PZT_HBFhNTJUhpZa4gm-Sqg9SKIBJOMllzM$>(but give me a few days, I need to update a few things haha…)”

>From Molly Roland (MFA 17) “CALLING ALL FILM FRIENDS
I am starting a podcast called "The Good, The Bad and The Masterful" with my good friend Torin Penwell.  Long story short, we are going to go through sub genres of films, and pick films we think are masterful, good and bad within that genre. Then, we are going to analyze those films and decide what makes them good, bad or masterful. Why are we doing this? To figure out how someone makes a masterful film on their own based on what the greats and, not so greats, have done.  What do I need from you? GUEST APPEARANCES on the podcast! I want other alumni to be a part of it! As a guest you will need to pick three films from the genre we're discussing that episode-- one you consider to be good, one you consider to be bad, and one you consider to be masterful. Then we'll discuss all our choices and decide at the end a quality or two that is a part of masterful filmmaking!  Feel free to email me at mollyb91 at gmail.com<mailto:mollyb91 at gmail.com> and let me know if you have interest in being a part of our podcast. There will be multiple seasons, so if your schedule is filled up now, feel free to wait till next season! If you're particularly passionate about a specific genre of film, or love making a specific genre of film, but we don't give you it as an option for discussion in the upcoming season, feel free to let us know what genre you like so we can discuss it with you down the line! Looking forward to hearing from you!”

>From Ben Edwards (BFA 00) “Hey Friends! I started freelancing at Bungie last year and it’s been a bit of a dream come true as I’ve been an avid Destiny and Destiny 2 player (obviously Halo before) since it’s launch. Everyone I’ve met and worked with (virtually) has been amazing and they are really a truly awesome place to be. Tomorrow morning 9am Pacific is the reveal stream for the next chapter in the Destiny saga and I’m very proud to have been a part of it. With cross play coming in the next season you have no excuse to join me! vaderbot on Xbox live”

“I’m a hiring manager at Prompt, an online writing-tutoring company that helps students become better writers. We’re the single largest provider of essay feedback worldwide—last year we provided feedback on over 40,000 college admissions essays. At Prompt, we don’t proofread; we provide detailed instructional feedback to help students improve their content, structure, and clarity, and we pilot writing curriculum that will help students strengthen their skills.“We’re currently hiring part-time Writing Coaches for flexible remote work.They can visit this link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/t.sidekickopen87.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8c7S7fVn_Djp59hl3kW7_k2841CX2c7W3KTctQ59PrfFVVmLkK5mBp8H102?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW45TRgN45VywHW49KvdP4r5qXxW1LCm-T23fZ-HW1Q5Rkm1-_pchW1S1nmr1GKj9GW4fJfX_1Gy-qJ398V2&si=8000000000753378&pi=efab183f-574b-4c90-b26f-9406203eca67__;!!PhOWcWs!lL_rxJbldOyq8wHKG3KtDsbzFnUJ-ZSgFSv8029pfr-2wPjTkLS3ctrnWu-yHQ$> to learn more about the position and get started. (Where we ask who referred the applicant for the job, they should write “Theatre/Playwright email.”)”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 26, 2021

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was a Runner-Up for Best Short Film, and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) won Best Acting at the inaugural Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, online on August 18. For more information about this festival, go to Gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) won Best of the Fest: 19-22-Year-Old at the Girl Improved Short Film & Television Festival in Austin, Texas, August 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com<http://girlimproved.com/>.

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Reel Deal Film Festival in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, September 30 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.reeldealfilmfestival.com<http://www.reeldealfilmfestival.com/>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Killing It (BFA F3 2020 Kiran Gordon) were selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in New Port Richey, September 24-26. For more information about this festival go to www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/>.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org/>.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Festival de Cine Indepiente Laberinto in Tunja, Colombia, October 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://cineclublaberinto.wordpress.com/.

Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) and Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/William Andrews) were selected for screening at the Art of Recovery Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, September 4-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.theartofrecoveryfilmfestival.com/<http://www.theartofrecoveryfilmfestival.com/>.

Catering for COVID (BFA Documentary 2021 Natalia Coiro) was nominated for Best Student (College) Film and Best Documentary at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://victoryiff.com/.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) won a Gold Award in the Comedy Shorts category of the Independent Shorts Awards in Los Angeles for the month of August. For more information about this festival, go to https://independentshortsawards.com/.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 23-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Columbus Black International Film Festival in Ohio, August 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.columbusbiff.com<http://www.columbusbiff.com/>.

The Garden Show (BFA F3 2021 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening and will receive an Honorable Mention in the Paris Film Festival, August 31. For more information about this festival, go to parisfilmfestival.org.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Feminist Film Festival in Bucharest, Romania, September 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.artfusion.ro/portfolio/join-our-feminist-september/.

Catering for COVID (BFA Documentary 2021 Natalia Coiro) was selected for screening at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://victoryiff.com/.

The Garden Show (BFA F3 2021 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Austin Spotlight Film Festival in Texas, on September 18th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.austinspotlightfilmfestival.com/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the New York Latino Film Festival, September 13-19. For more information, go to nylatinofilmfestival.com.

Quarantined (BFA Doc 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the inaugural New York Indie Shorts Awards, September 22-23. For more information, go to www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival, on September 25th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival in Texas, September 30 – October 3. For more information, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.