[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.19.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 19 17:17:33 EDT 2021

Welcome to our new and returning students – all in person classes!!!!   It’s a wonderful thing.

It makes me very happy to announce that David Wiley is no longer Head of Set Operations with an office in the Equipment Room - he is now a Film School faculty member with offices on the 5th floor!

>From Sandra Valde (BFA 97) “Season 2 of The L Word: Generation Q has begun and airs every Sunday on Showtime at 9pm EST/PST.  This is my second season on the show as one of the cinematographers and I could not be more excited for everyone to watch it.  Here is a trailer:   https://www.sho.com/video/75812/the-l-word-generation-q-%7C-season-2-official-trailer<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.sho.com/video/75812/the-l-word-generation-q-*7C-season-2-official-trailer__;JQ!!PhOWcWs!h8M8XDzbhso7f7c5jdQPGlksy3d1K2RYF9weTVQOPs_o4uvihiDyzE8gPV_UMDs$>  You can also watch the first episode for free to give you a little glimpse into the drama: https://www.sho.com/the-l-word-generation-q/season/2<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.sho.com/the-l-word-generation-q/season/2__;!!PhOWcWs!h8M8XDzbhso7f7c5jdQPGlksy3d1K2RYF9weTVQOPs_o4uvihiDyzE8gyRGhkcU$>   I also just wrapped a new series for Amazon called WITH LOVE from Showrunner Gloria Calderon Kellett (One Day at Time), which I can't wait for everyone to see.  It was a great way to spend the summer.  The series airs at the end of 2021 on Amazon. “

> [...]

https://www.gf.org/fellows/all-fellows/faren-humes/
<https://www.gf.org/fellows/all-fellows/faren-humes/%0b>https://www.unitedstatesartists.org/fellow/faren-humes/
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.unitedstatesartists.org/fellow/faren-humes/__;!!PhOWcWs!i_coe2d-pf9Edaii4jOqS1Yb6KCWXxWX2MRU-ZGB1uZChjfDwzLNgBlikYsZFEQ$>https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/people/faren-humes<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/people/faren-humes__;!!PhOWcWs!i_coe2d-pf9Edaii4jOqS1Yb6KCWXxWX2MRU-ZGB1uZChjfDwzLNgBli7FEuhbs$>

Claire Salmon (BFA 14)  just returned from Kenya where she was working with the nonprofit called Kijana. It's a school-building organization in rural Kenya. She works as their graphic artist and also as a partner when it comes to envisioning future plans. Right now they're getting ready to build a library. For the art part she designs all their posters/materials and have designed like 20+ murals with a local artist they work with.

Congratulations to Elangie Pereda (BFA ADA 16 ) who just started a new position as Visual Effects Producer at Ghost VFX in LA.

>From Ryan Cook (BFA 12)  “Work on the new comic book is chugging along and in case anybody missed it, here's a couple articles and interviews regarding the last book.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/cartoonist-balances-grim-whimsy-140200422.html
https://www.sfreporter.com/arts/2021/03/10/hey-squirrelfriend/After reading the Danny Trejo memoir, a fire has been lit in me to try getting into some work as a film extra in my lovely home-state of New Mexico.   Are there any other FSU Film peeps based in New Mexico who may be able to steer me in the right direction? I'm a motorcycle riding cartoonist with enough film experience to stay out of the way (and near craft services).
ryan.cook.film at gmail.com<mailto:ryan.cook.film at gmail.com>

Amanda Senrra  (MFA Writing '21) “This will be my third week working for NBC Universal's Diversity Pipeline as a Reader for the Ojala Ignition Lab. I've also finally met my mentor through the Tribeca Sloan Student Discovery Prize. My mentor is Caudia Weill. She's worked as a director on HBO's Girls, My So Called Life, and many of her own award-winning films like Girlfriends. I've been in LA for a little over a week now and would love to connect with alum out here.  amandasenrra at gmail.com<mailto:amandasenrra at gmail.com>”

>From Josh Tickell (MFA 02) “Eco doc studio, Big Picture Ranch, winner of over 100 film awards including Audience Award for Best Documentary at Sundance, seeks AN EXPERIENCED FEATURE DOCUMENTARY EDITOR. Ideal candidate is creative, mission driven, a team player, positive, has can-do attitude, tech savvy, not entitled, excited about soil & saving the world and ready to jump into a new documentary with a great team. Ideal candidate has cut multiple feature length documentaries for broadcast, theatrical and/or streaming and has a good sense of pacing, tone, story, style, character development and making complex information palatable. Project is a follow up feature doc to Big Picture Ranch?s powerful, KISS THE GROUND (Netflix). Candidates must live in Ventura / LA area and must be willing to quickly learn and edit in Davinci Resolve. Editor will need to spend a decent amount of time each month working with the editorial team at our studio in Ojai but some remote work may also be possible. Job to start in Sept/Oct and go for approx. 1 year. Interviews to commence in late August. Please send resume, reel, filmography and 3 references to lauren at bigpictureranch.com<mailto:lauren at bigpictureranch.com<mailto:lauren at bigpictureranch.com%3cmailto:lauren at bigpictureranch.com>>

 From Marc Wiskemann (MFA 96) "Denison University's Department of Cinema seeking to fill a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in Film Production beginning Fall 2022.  Denison is a private, residential, undergraduate institution located in central Ohio with approximately 2300 students and 9:1 student:faculty ratio.  Cinema has been taught at Denison since the late 1960s and boasts more majors than any other department in the division of Fine Arts.  To be considered for the position, applications should be submitted by Nov 1st.   Please see https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://employment.denison.edu/postings/3279__;!!PhOWcWs!hjLViXj6aaCXDahGQUIsrYGs9saEOClo8mBbGVtcMElxZZS8YDcKvfUOdXoLdXQ$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/employment.denison.edu/postings/3279__;!!PhOWcWs!hjLViXj6aaCXDahGQUIsrYGs9saEOClo8mBbGVtcMElxZZS8YDcKvfUOdXoLdXQ$>  for additional information and application instructions."

Shannan E. Johnson (MFA Writing 08) is the CEO of The Professional Pen (TPP), a script consultancy. TPP is hiring Editing Interns for the Fall Semester to create short-form content. This is a credit-based internship. Applications close September 13, 2021. For more information: www.awriterforyourwriter.com/the-internship<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.awriterforyourwriter.com/the-internship__;!!PhOWcWs!kT08jvyHlaV5qHtIwSXljzuG4k_yXyThsAEWw2X43uafe9c26HVynwX_MawI3ak$>

>From Kelly Bumford (BFA09 ) “I'm starting up on 2 feature Netflix documentaries shooting over the next 6 months and want to get some PAs from the FSU family on the roster! Looking for LA-based self-starters, good communicators, organized (especially with receipts!), and comfortable driving a sprinter van is a plus (but not required). Must be fully vaccinated per company guidelines.  Email me your resume if interested! kelly at tremoloproductions.com<mailto:kelly at tremoloproductions.com>
You can check out the show I just wrapped up with this company- Tremolo Productions and director Morgan Neville - a 6-part documentary series about the future of food hosted by David Chang called The Next Thing You Eat premiering on Hulu October 21st!”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 19, 2021

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival, on September 25th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) is a Semi-Finalist in the Documentary category for the 2021 Student Academy Awards. Finalists will be announced in August.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Queer Film Festival, August 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outonscreen.com<http://www.outonscreen.com/>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at Atlanta Shortsfest, August 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com.

5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly) and Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2021 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival in Atlanta, August 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org<http://rochesterfilmfest.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) and Binge Buddies (BFA F1 2020 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 19-29. For more information about this festival, go to maconfilmfestival.com.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 23-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Columbus Black International Film Festival in Ohio, August 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.columbusbiff.com<http://www.columbusbiff.com/>.

The Garden Show (BFA F3 2021 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening and will receive an Honorable Mention in the Paris Film Festival, August 31. For more information about this festival, go to parisfilmfestival.org.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Feminist Film Festival in Bucharest, Romania, September 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.artfusion.ro/portfolio/join-our-feminist-september/.

Catering for COVID (BFA Documentary 2021 Natalia Coiro) was selected for screening at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://victoryiff.com/.

The Garden Show (BFA F3 2021 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Austin Spotlight Film Festival in Texas, on September 18th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.austinspotlightfilmfestival.com/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the New York Latino Film Festival, September 13-19. For more information, go to nylatinofilmfestival.com.

Quarantined (BFA Doc 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the inaugural New York Indie Shorts Awards, September 22-23. For more information, go to www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival in Texas, September 30 – October 3. For more information, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com/>.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.