[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 11.22.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Sun Nov 22 11:43:51 EST 2020

Never Rarely Sometimes Always was nominated for a Gotham Award!  Adele Romanski (BFA 04)  produced it, Barry Jenkins and Mark Ceryak (Both BFA 02)  exec produced, and Tatiana Bears (BFA 13)  co-produce, Rob Bevis (BFA 18) did 2nd Unit Electric, Austin Smoak (BFA 05)  was a Camera Loader, Michael Kefeyalew (BFA 13) was Script Sup.
https://www.ifp.org/press/nominations-announced-for-30th-ifp-gotham-awards/?mc_cid=ba99039cc0&mc_eid=37f1b1d1a5#.X62plWdKhBx

From Nikki Groton (BFA 11) “"With all the excitement behind the release of my last film Darkness in Tenement 45, I completely missed that the screenplay for my (hopefully) next film Hurricane Hennley made quarterfinalist at the PAGE awards! The film follows a Florida woman through three hurricanes who discovers a magical plant a la Swiss Army Man."

From Alex Amick (BFA 10) “I wrote a tiny bit of flash fiction a while ago, and it got published today. It was one thing when I wrote it, but reading it now after spending most of the year in quarantine, it takes on a whole new vibe.  https://tinyurl.com/yxsg6tw9

From Brittany Nicole Gutheim (MFA 15) “Here’s the little Facebook Production Groups “starter pack” PDF I put together and shared to the FSU FB group. It’s a quick list (only 9 groups), but these are consistent with job listings and helpful information about the current state of LA’s film industry. I often have new graduates hitting me up for advice and info, so I usually send these ones their way- along with any groups I know that are more specific to the specialty they’re aiming to go into. I hope it can be useful! :) NOTE:  I’ll share Brittany’s PDF of Facebook Production Groups at the END of the Warren Report, after Brenda’s Festival Update.

Also, right now I’m art coordinating on a new AppleTV, Sony produced, murder mystery series called The Afterparty. I’m so excited for everyone to see it! We have a fantastic cast of comedians, some pretty cool production design ( ;) ), amazing writing/directing, super fun cinematography and lighting, and a whole lot of hidden puzzles and other Easter eggs throughout the show. Can’t wait to share a release date with you, so will do so asap! Other than that- still training in acting and am actually participating in the NYC Midnight Short Screenplay competition- placed 1st in my category for round 1 and just finished round 2! We’ll see how it all unfolds. Pretty exciting stuff in the works over here, haha.”

Chayse Banks (BFA 20) is in Atlanta, just finished  working as a PA on Netflix’s Red Notice and is currently PAing on Black Adam at Pinewood Studios.

Congratulations to Cooper Shapiro (BFA 2) who was received an IDEA Award from the FSU Center for Undergraduate Research and Academic Excellence!  This was his project:  Sustainable Production Practices on Small-Budget Films: This creative project involves the research and collection of ecologically sustainable filmmaking practices. This project will exemplify how low-budget and student filmmakers can be more conscious of how their art is affecting the environment. The goal of the website is to demonstrate that eco-friendly and quality films are not mutually exclusive and to promote filmmaking practices that are environmentally sustainable. Check it out at sustainablefilmmaking.net<http://sustainablefilmmaking.net/>

From Katherine Oostman (MFA 17) “I'm thrilled to announce that our feature script, THE STRANGER, was selected as a quarter-finalist in Final Draft's 2020 Big Break Screenwriting Contest. This script, written in collaboration with the ever-brilliant Carolina Garrigo (MFA 17), was adapted from our thesis film by the same title and we're so proud of how it's developed.

In going through the list of Final Draft’s 2020 Big Break, I found several other quarterfinalist alums:
Comedy/Rom Com:   Mithra Alavi (MFA 14) – Arranged
Thriller/Horror:   Amy Heidish (BFA 95)– The 13 Club; Adam Lucas (MFA Writing 08) – The Ghost
TV/Diversity:  Ivette Garcia Davila (MFA 03)  – Duplicate; Lizzie Perrin (MFA writing 19)– Nocturnal Partings.    If I missed anyone, please let me know!

From Lizzie Perrin (MFA Writing 19):  “I placed in the semifinals of the Screencraft Pilot Competition with my hour-long period thriller, Nocturnal Partings. I also won first place in the Screencraft Virtual Pitch Competition! I was nervous to pitch in front of four incredible industry professionals, but also to speak in front of an unknown number of strangers. I'm very grateful that I got to take Julianna's pitching class, so I felt as prepared as I could be. Thank you to my writing class of 2019 who offered to hear me rehearse and provided notes and feedback, and thank you to the other FSU alum/students/faculty who were supporting me and watching!”

From David Willis (BFA 15) “Greetings, my excellent FSU friends! I hope everyone is staying safe out there. Since I am still between gigs at the moment, I wanted to try something fun that channels my creativity and maybe generates some passive income. Which is why I created some artistic designs for t-shirts, mugs, etc. Each design is meant to have a playful, humorous, and homemade quality.  Links for each design are below:

"Biden & Harris" - https://www.cafepress.com/dd/123513752<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.cafepress.com/dd/123513752__;!!PhOWcWs!gn0brLnE4qLz-aTOI3ZbQ6Md5lKyPJOjM0KFMZoxTkhbvtU_bqza-XHYeNh_45U$>

"Lion" - https://www.cafepress.com/dd/123513758<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.cafepress.com/dd/123513758__;!!PhOWcWs!gn0brLnE4qLz-aTOI3ZbQ6Md5lKyPJOjM0KFMZoxTkhbvtU_bqza-XHYPpNwsDs$>

"Vampire Duck" - https://www.cafepress.com/dd/123513755<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.cafepress.com/dd/123513755__;!!PhOWcWs!gn0brLnE4qLz-aTOI3ZbQ6Md5lKyPJOjM0KFMZoxTkhbvtU_bqza-XHYt-ZKBJU$>

"Abe in a Boat" - https://www.cafepress.com/dd/123513753<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.cafepress.com/dd/123513753__;!!PhOWcWs!gn0brLnE4qLz-aTOI3ZbQ6Md5lKyPJOjM0KFMZoxTkhbvtU_bqza-XHYurqHwiQ$>

"Dog and Robot" - https://www.cafepress.com/dd/123513756<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.cafepress.com/dd/123513756__;!!PhOWcWs!gn0brLnE4qLz-aTOI3ZbQ6Md5lKyPJOjM0KFMZoxTkhbvtU_bqza-XHYl0Dou_Q$>

From Jim Ed Wills (MFA 11) “I still live in LA but booked it to my summer cabin in Roanoke, VA to live out the pandemic leaving me cold broke.  I got a job as an electrician in Richmond, VA on a show called Swagger for Apple plus.  I’ll be jumping to take on more responsibility as a wireless tech on a show for Hulu called Dopesick starring Michael Keaton.  This will also be filming in Richmond giving me enough to get back on my feet, learn a new skill and hopefully impress the LA gaffer who may be able to help me when I move back in March.
As I’m on the set, I discovered the electric Rigging crew is looking to hire a full time electrician and are ok with hiring people who are new and want to learn.  I wanted to offer it to anyone who may be interested in the FSU community.  The show is the new walking spin off series the world beyond.  It’s located in Richmond, begins in January and roughly ends in June or July.  It’s a good way to learn more about lighting, electricity and how a big show runs and operates.  All in all good experience.  If anyone is interested, they can email me.  jimedwills at gmail.com

From Lauren Brinkman (BFA 12) “Seeking Production Coordinator/Office Manager for Oscar-Winning Production Company in Santa Monica. Primarily working out of office overseeing and facilitating all aspects of production, as well as running day to day operations within the office. Must be flexible and adaptable to unpredictable schedule changes and fast paced working environment. Ideal candidate will have previous experience working in production, as an executive assistant, and in high pressure situations. Discretion and professionalism are key. Employee will have access to intern as necessary. Interpersonal skills are of primary importance, must be able to work well with a team and adapt to working with all kinds of people. Send resumes to laurenebrinkman at gmail.com<mailto:laurenebrinkman at gmail.com>.’

From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10). “I am wrapping up my short film "The Lady Edison", and I am looking for an FSU alum to cut a trailer. Could you have them send their reel and rates to jayesarahdavidson at gmail.com<mailto:jayesarahdavidson at gmail.com>?”

From Chris Ranung at Feature Florida Partnerships/COMPASS:  We’ve set a January 5th deadline for submissions to the “Create it Here!” program a three-phased initiative for aspiring Florida filmmakers that provides basic script reading services for a fee and then will supplement development costs for projects that are consistent with the FFP mission to grow regional motion picture production throughout the state. The organization plans to announce phase one finalists by January 15, 2021.
https://www.prlog.org/12846380-floridas-create-it-here-program-sets-submission-deadline.html

Dolby Institute Intern (Remote Winter 2021, 6-month roleApply now  Date: Oct 28, 2020 Location: Burbank, California, US. Company: Dolby Laboratories, Inc.  The world is changing, and it's more important than ever that first-class information, communications, and entertainment services are available to users wherever they may be. Here at Dolby, our mission is to enable experiences that transcend expectations. We need your creative solutions and diverse thought! The successful applicant will help us create technology for the “connected-life” experiences users depend on.  As an intern, the Dolby U program offers impactful, project-based work experience in a collaborative, creative environment where you work side by side with industry leaders. Amplify your insatiable curiosity by implementing real-world solutions that revolutionize how people communicate and how entertainment is created, delivered, and enjoyed worldwide. For anyone seeking to gain invaluable expertise through meaningful, personal contributions, join us to design a future where technology meets entertainment!  SUMMARY
We are looking for an Intern to join our Dolby Institute<https://www.dolby.com/institute> team, our initiative to help creatives advance the art of storytelling. The mission of the Dolby Institute is to inspire and educate the next generation of content creators to bring their dreams to life, in Dolby. Our core values are to enable, inspire, educate, and amplify human stories from new voices that need to be heard.   https://careers.dolby.com/job/Burbank%2C-California-Dolby-Institute-Intern-%28Remote-Winter-2021%2C-6-month-role%29-CA-91501/687593000/?locale=en_US

I won’t get a Warren Report out next week – hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving and that next year we can gather all our loved ones together.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – November 19, 2020

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the inaugural Katra Latinx Festival in New York City, November 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://katrafilmseries.com/competitions/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingue Li/Jonas Schubach), which won an award in a monthly edition of the ARFF Paris competition, is now a finalist for the monthly ARFF International Online Competition to be held in December. For more information about this series of competitions, go to https://aroundfilms.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Chicago International Reel Shorts Film Festival, dates to be announced. For more information about this festival, go to www.projectchicago.com<http://www.projectchicago.com>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) was awarded Best Student Short Film at the L-Dub Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, November 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lakeworthplayhouse.org/welcome/ldub/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) and Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 18-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.kwfilmfest.com<http://www.kwfilmfest.com>.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Black Hollywood Education and Resource Center’s African American Film Marketplace and S.E. Manly Short Film Showcase, October 23 – November 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.bherc.org<http://www.bherc.org>.

Elephants Purr Like Cats Do (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer DR/Laura Johnson PR) was selected for screening at the Asian Film Festival in Hollywood, November 1-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://asianfilmfestival.us/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Wheaton Film Festival in Maryland, November 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.wheatonfilmfestival.com.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu), Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker/Perry Cox), Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the (Virtual) Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 6-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Norwich Film Festival in the UK, November 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.norwichfilmfestival.co.uk/<http://www.norwichfilmfestival.co.uk/>

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

Five Minutes (MFA QD2 2020 Pei-Yu Lai), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) and Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) were selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

Aquaphobic (BFA F3 2019 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening in the ASIFAC’20 online animation festival taking place at the end of the year. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.asifa-south.com/.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival, December 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org.

Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York, December 4-10. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.femalevoicesrock.com/.

Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head film festival in San Francisco, December 11-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfindie.com<http://www.sfindie.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) is a Semi-Finalist in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 15 – December 31. For more information about this tour, go to http://shortfilmtour.org.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

BIRTTNAY’S FACEBOOK PRODUCTION GROUPS
Some solid Facebook LA production gig groups are below. It’s not a bad idea to search in the group for the position you want and see what’s been posted about in the past. It can give you a good idea of how people post on there, various wages and hours producers/department heads are offering, and just general “does this group post what I’m looking for” vibes. Paying Job Posts:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/730368893721504/ Paid LA Film & TV Jobs:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PayingProductionGig/ Production 911:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/370935392974000/ TV/Film Crew Availability:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/505485066224030/ Production Resource Group: