[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 11.12.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:13:26 EST 2020

Matt Lopez (BFA 93) is writing and executive producing a couple of upcoming TV projects: “American Heritage,” a one-hour drama which has received a put pilot commitment from ABC, and “Moondial,” an adaptation of Helen Creswell’s YA fantasy novel which Matt is writing for James Corden and his Fulwell 73 production banner. Details at: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://deadline.com/2020/10/american-heritage-drama-matt-lopez-abc-put-pilot-1234594362/__;!!PhOWcWs!h8Ht1VD1USHkTQX4MUAAdoocl4BJ0mhl2xuS7JQuaSxcCjIsExQrsVOmwtExV7EKFuU$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2020/10/american-heritage-drama-matt-lopez-abc-put-pilot-1234594362/__;!!PhOWcWs!h8Ht1VD1USHkTQX4MUAAdoocl4BJ0mhl2xuS7JQuaSxcCjIsExQrsVOmwtExV7EKFuU$>

From Ben Cawood (MFA 01) “I've been busy in TV animation (Sr. VP of Development at Dreamworks Animation) and two of the newest shows I developed are out on Netflix now, Fast & Furious: Spy Racers and Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous. “

From Carissa Dorson (BFA 11) "'Sketchy Times with Lilly Singh,' the NBC comedy special that I was DP on, is now available to watch for free on Peacock.  This show was shot completely out of Lilly's house, while adhering to Covid safety protocols.  Iliana Ipes (BFA 18) did an incredible job as my 1AC.  Here's a link to watch:"
https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/playback/vod/GMO_00000000360206_01/c0e5792b-ea76-3ec0-8b04-2e27d57270f4<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.peacocktv.com/watch/playback/vod/GMO_00000000360206_01/c0e5792b-ea76-3ec0-8b04-2e27d57270f4__;!!PhOWcWs!m6d4YD-REpdaMdiO0HCAF536-2CRKdt8PoVB1fb348jBwQWTc2aPwTEqf4i6mp8$>
Congratulations to Sylwia Dudzinska (MFA 09) who has just started as Key 2nd on All American for Season 3.  She will be working with that project till June or July.

From Patrick Emralino (MFA Writing 20):  “ I wanted to let you know that my one hour pilot script, SALVAGE & RECLAMATION, is a Quarterfinalist in the 2021 Screencraft TV Pilot Competition!”   In checking the quarterfinalists list I find that several alums are also quarterfinalists:   Shane Spiegel (BFA 11)with AKIRA AND THE ALIENS,  Lizzie Perrin (MFA Writing 19)  NOCTURNAL POSTINGS.   Hope I didn’t miss anyone.

From Dustin McLean (MFA 2012) - Betaville, a short film I directed, just won Best Sci-Fi Short Film at the Avalonia Film Festival. Kyle Reid (MFA 2011) was the director of photography and he also did some matte paintings for the project. We wrote it with Corey Womack (MFA 2012). As well as directing the short, I also created the score and the visual effects. You can watch the short film here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHU5gRA0iw&t=18s&app=desktop<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHU5gRA0iw&t=18s&app=desktop__;!!PhOWcWs!l2MNdSuS904izo8vrMxxgSw2_7OnURbb9wlK5MI1WoAhs_dEA37PG_UK2LSQwgo$>

Attention Portland alums:   Am happy to report there is a new alum in town, Darrell Raymundo (BFA ADA 15) who has joined Lakia in their rp cg modeling department where they are in charge of sculpting and engineering the faces for the characters.   He’d love to meet other alums so let me know and I’ll connect you.

From Marty Lang (MFA 04): The University of Memphis, where I just started teaching as an Assistant Professor of Film, is hiring a new faculty member in Film & Video Production! We're looking for someone with a terminal degree, a record of creative work, and experience teaching basic to advanced production and post-production courses, especially post production audio. We'll begin reviewing applications on December 15. Would love to see a big group of FSU alums applying! https://workforum.memphis.edu/postings/26110<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/workforum.memphis.edu/postings/26110__;!!PhOWcWs!iPA-L68X978hHvJD6_D3r0fqdCvHG-8MggUkScESX4Ffwd7nIjUgnGwXpUBTETM$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – November 5, 2020

Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York, December 4-10. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.femalevoicesrock.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) and Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 18-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.kwfilmfest.com<http://www.kwfilmfest.com>.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival, December 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Chicago International Reel Shorts Film Festival, dates to be announced. For more information about this festival, go to www.projectchicago.com<http://www.projectchicago.com>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) was awarded Best Student Short Film at the L-Dub Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, November 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lakeworthplayhouse.org/welcome/ldub/.

The Marble Table (MFA QD2 2020 Ayana Jones) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Black Hollywood Education and Resource Center’s African American Film Marketplace and S.E. Manly Short Film Showcase, October 23 – November 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.bherc.org<http://www.bherc.org>.

Elephants Purr Like Cats Do (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer DR/Laura Johnson PR) was selected for screening at the Asian Film Festival in Hollywood, November 1-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://asianfilmfestival.us/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Wheaton Film Festival in Maryland, November 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.wheatonfilmfestival.com.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu), Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker/Perry Cox), Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the (Virtual) Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 6-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Norwich Film Festival in the UK, November 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.norwichfilmfestival.co.uk/<http://www.norwichfilmfestival.co.uk/>

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

Five Minutes (MFA QD2 2020 Pei-Yu Lai), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) and Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) were selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

Aquaphobic (BFA F3 2019 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening in the ASIFAC’20 online animation festival taking place at the end of the year. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.asifa-south.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) is a Semi-Finalist in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 15 – December 31. For more information about this tour, go to http://shortfilmtour.org.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.