[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.20.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 20 08:17:05 EDT 2020

Because social distancing has shut down our last six MFA thesis sets of the spring semester, we're scrambling to offer our MFAs some meaningful last-minute educational experiences. One thing we thought it would be fun and instructive to do is bring alumni in (virtually, of course) to talk to them about working in the industry. If you're interested and available for Wednesday evening sessions (7pm eastern time), please let Brenda know (bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu>). Or if Wednesday evenings don't work for you, we're open to other times as well.

Some suggestions for the unemployed from Tricia Mears (MFA 11)

“Unemployed: worried about payments and money? things to do while you are unemployed and quarantining: file for unemployment (every little bit helps)

call your credit card companies to waive your interest / minimum amount due / permit a delayed payment

call your internet/cable provider to see if they can assist in delayed payment or are offering forgiveness at this time

call your cell phone provider to see if they are offering any payment forgiveness call your utilities company to find out what relief they may be offering at this time

if you are a renter like me, speak with your landlord and explain the situation you are in. see if they can work something out with you at least for the upcoming month

remember to take care of one another. don't hoard necessary provisions. be kind.

From Lisa Tripp:  ‘Congratulations to @Cooper Shapiro<https://fsu-cmpa.slack.com/team/UM3QSGYBV>  (BFA 1) for winning a 2020 IDEA Grant from the University’s Center for Undergraduate Research and Academic Engagement! The project will focus on making low-budget film production more ecologically sustainable. I’m so excited about his work and that the University is lending its support. And - want to know what’s especially cool? They gave Cooper more money than he asked for because they thought he would put the money to good use! When does that happen? Nice to get a bit of good news amidst all the crappy stuff going on.”

From Neil Butler (BFA 95) and Don Guarisco (BFA 96) “Awesome news! Our short film LOST TRIBE is an official selection at the Colorado Intl. Cannabis & Hemp Film Festival<https://www.facebook.com/CICHFF2020/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAWV0Ye2nB61nG5lFAvDuHBf4nk1yuyZdHfKvh70mnAKofla-D2zS6z25UFfHvtiyM_vOzMyz2ggwvV&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDX3jCtYkSVhoDptNLLP6GinkiTeF3XmV79q7v859k6q1_i_ndFrS1VhnDZgy0IYdLO7U1WUrLYxalmr4839WwFDtRfVqh8XUFJGZdYT3vVC2YSnDPS-v0t1cZDsHme-mDze20uLqBcECEq0kSE0sKMOqMBfzYvgQEUqrXwX52GUhFLkqMyU9AVB58R-TzYvZllIPDF5uIkN9gfvEo4F_lUm34GAxXoNrUSWsD4d2z6pw>. In accord with current guidance, they'll be holding #CICHFF2020<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/cichff2020?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDX3jCtYkSVhoDptNLLP6GinkiTeF3XmV79q7v859k6q1_i_ndFrS1VhnDZgy0IYdLO7U1WUrLYxalmr4839WwFDtRfVqh8XUFJGZdYT3vVC2YSnDPS-v0t1cZDsHme-mDze20uLqBcECEq0kSE0sKMOqMBfzYvgQEUqrXwX52GUhFLkqMyU9AVB58R-TzYvZllIPDF5uIkN9gfvEo4F_lUm34GAxXoNrUSWsD4d2z6pw&__tn__=%2ANK-R> online over the weekend of April 24-26th. You get to stay home and still have an awesome trip! “

The latest edition of Vires, the magazine of the FSU Alumni Association is out – updates on about a dozen of our Film School alumni are included so if you receive a copy, check it out!

Erica Chan (MFA 15) posted this on her Facebook page:  Hey friends, I made an ask anything group for CA unemployment since EDD's lines are so clogged up and no one is getting answers. Whether you have a question or have knowledge -- I hope this can be a useful resource for people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3296311573733137/

From Sabrina Reisinger, Reb’s right hand:  Just curious if anyone else is watching Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon HOME EDITIONS? 3 episodes so far. Using Zoom for interviews! Each episode focuses on raising money for a charity (nice!).Interesting response to creating late night TV content with the current constraints. And I have to say, very refreshing to see celebs being so down to earth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZzbo26fzc

From Ron Honn, Film School faculty:  “Suggestion: While we're all in social distance mode with a little extra time on our hands...If you received your Census 2020 form at your door--(okay first pull out the form and get the reference number--below the bar code--and then wash your hands) and go online and fill out the Census form! It's literally a duty prescribed by the Constitution (Article I, Section II) and our chance to support our country in a dark time. I just got mine and the online process took about 5 mins.”

From Claudia Johnson, former Film School faculty member:  “I'm so happy to announce that the 5th/20th Anniversary Edition of CRAFTING SHORT SCREENPLAYS THAT CONNECT will be published next week on March 25th! The book showcases a. ward-winning short films by FSU students (and the films can be screened on the book's website).  My publisher Routledge has asked me to share this 20% discount certificate for the new edition. Please spread the word and feel free to share this discount coupon/FB post with others! Thanks so much!

https://www.routledge.com/Crafting-Short-Screenplays-That-Connect-5th-Edition/Hunter-Johnson/p/book/9780367338190?utm_source=outlook&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=B001341_md1_1au_1aj_d007_authormarketingcollateralpushq12020

If you have tips for getting through this difficult time, I hope you will let me share them in the Warren Report.  Stay distantly close!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 19, 2020

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim) was selected for screening in the short online contest of FirstGlance Film Fest Los Angeles, March 16 – April 14. For more information about this contest go to firstglancefilms.com.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) was selected for screening in the L-Dub Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, March 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lakeworthplayhouse.org/welcome/ldub/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the Pasadena International Film Festival, March 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pasadenafilmfestival.org<http://www.pasadenafilmfestival.org>.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.kcundergroundfilmfest.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the San Diego Latino Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go towww.sdlatinofilm.com<http://www.sdlatinofilm.com>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the MovieMakers International Film Festival in Fort Walton Beach, Florida on March 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/suds-n-cinema/moviemakers-international-film-festival/649853872427158/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Think on These Things (BFA Documentary 2019 Keaton Kish), Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton), Deep Space(MFA D2 2019 Ashley James), and It Came From Cyberspace (BFA F3 2019 Alexander Martinez) were selected for screening at the Central Florida ShortNight in Orlando on March 22. For more information about this festival, go to https://road7films.com/portfolio/central-florida-shortnight.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), El Perro de Piedra (BFA Thesis 2019 Brennan Brinkley) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton) and Wetman (BFA F3 2019 Cameron Greco) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, March 27 – April 5. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Azalea Film Festival in Mobile, Alabama, April 3-4. For more information about this festival, go towww.azaleafilmfestival.com<http://www.azaleafilmfestival.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up! Film Festival in West Hollywood, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) are all finalists in the College Narrative category, and Into the Flames (BFA Documentary 2019 Carsen Jessell) is a finalist in the College Documentary category in the Palm Beaches Student Showcase of Films. Winners will be announced at a ceremony on April 3rd in West Palm Beach. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu), No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.