[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] FW: [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.13.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 13 11:18:20 EDT 2020

From: WarrenReport <warrenreport-bounces at lists.fsu.edu> on behalf of WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Date: Friday, March 13, 2020 at 11:04 AM
To: WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Subject: [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.13.20

From Josh Tickell (MFA 02) “I’m pleased to announce that after 7 years working on KISS THE GROUND, this movie will premiere on Earth Day at the Tribeca Film Festival. The film is narrated by Woody Harrelson and features Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen, Ian Somerhalder and Patricia and David Arquette - oh yeah, it also spells out for the first time how to reverse climate change. The science is big news (hence the very long production cycle). More info on reversing climate change at the film’s nonprofit partner web site:www.KisstheGround.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.KisstheGround.com__;!!PhOWcWs!iZlvopCPMKKzg2bc6AUduJIEuq4w0o6n6bXP1nWKl5oXFfzBFZ3rMfIhVa4u28Q$>”

From Nikki Groton (BFA 11) “"Excited to announce that my feature screenplay Hurricane Hennley has advanced to the Semi-Finals for the Fresh Voices Screenplay Contest!! It's one of the two films I'm pushing to make next so am beyond excited. Here's a bit more about the project: After a series of hurricanes leaves a neighborhood struggling for resources, grungy but wholesome HENNLEY discovers a plant growing in her home that magically provides her with assistance. But as the situation grows dire, her neighbors’ greed threatens to destroy the very thing that could save them."

Atlanta film studio plans to expand with new creative center:  Read the article at https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2020/03/12/pinewood-atlanta-studios-creative-center.html
WAY TO GO, FRANK!

From Garrard Whatley (BFA 93) “I've been working hard in film and TV - well, for 23 years now - first with my company RocketWerks which I began in 1997 and wrapped in 2017, when I decided to start a new company "Seismic Post Audio," opening that same year, and have had a really wonderful three years so far.  Currently, really proud of the show, "Stranger Among Us", airing its final episode on Monday, March 9 at 10/9c on ID Investigation Discovery.  Seismic Post Audio provided all post sound services -- and the producers are really wonderfully creative people to work with. I mixed all the episodes at 740 Sound in Playa Vista - where I mix all of my theatrical work - and created the sound design and mix for the show opening, linked below - it really gives you a taste for the feel of the show.  Also happy to announce I'll be starting on the second season of "The Holzer Files" on The Travel Channel -- season one was wildly popular so we're headed into round two with an increase in episodes!  And production is beginning on a new show of the horror-mystery variety -- I'll give more details when the time is right.
Here is <<a link to a facebook post of the "Stranger Among Us" show opening>><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/painlesstv/videos/1515297531964192/__;!!PhOWcWs!g9Xt8i3ztCts1iwz-SF_oAUC7vlgPmX3fUsrjuBHRLypXGH20RexHoGFAMFvUHw$>.  On the theatrical side, on Netflix you can check out the feature films "Greener Grass" - an absolutely wonderful dark comedy - and "Who Do I Think I Am" - a touching documentary about the life of Bruce Springsteen's saxophonist Clarence Clemons. Both were completed in 2019.  And in 2020, MGM will release the feature "The Werewolf" from director / star Jim Cummings (which we finished in January). Originally set for theatrical release this month, but not sure if they're getting the "coronavirus bump" to a later date.  Working on two features right now, one is the first film release from Allison Troxell (BFA93) and Tom Cappello's (BFA 95)  company Crazy Legs' new feature film division<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/georgiaentertainmentnews.com/2019/11/crazy-legs-productions-launches-feature-film-division/__;!!PhOWcWs!g9Xt8i3ztCts1iwz-SF_oAUC7vlgPmX3fUsrjuBHRLypXGH20RexHoGFp8JrSYA$>, called "Front Row Killer," and the film "Too Late" starring amazing comedian/actor Alyssa Limperis, with a cast including Ron Lynch, Will Weldon, Fred Armisen and Mary Lynn Rajskub.”
From Rakan Shaker (BFA 12) “I'm still working in VR for Youvisit. We're actually now a part of EAB, as of this year. I'm doing editing and VFX now, while freelancing when time allows.  EAB recently acquired<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/eab.com/about/newsroom/press/youvisit/__;!!PhOWcWs!mpaZiEIth7_QPm5UBGvznLcrnAgT0S5xiF28zwQXCdSo_YVZysCWQ4yxpQHsdI8$> Youvisit, the virtual experience company I've worked at for 5 years now. EAB = Education Advisory Board<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/eab.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!mpaZiEIth7_QPm5UBGvznLcrnAgT0S5xiF28zwQXCdSo_YVZysCWQ4yx_DIjZlk$>, a Vista owned company, that supports the higher ed student experience, from enrollment to graduation. This new chapter could see some major growth, and multiplies our potential for innovation in the way we tell stories!”
From Josh Crute (MFA 12) “Just found out that my book Oliver: The Second-Largest Living Thing on Earth was nominated for the Beehive Book Awards in Utah! The best part? The kids vote on the winners. http://www.claubeehive.org/2021-nominees.html<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.claubeehive.org*2F2021-nominees.html*3Ffbclid*3DIwAR2ZSc3VstlwwzmnP46GP71IwvmYOlnuiTEBFDOxNAvO6E_34lrFAOFrg2w&h=AT0-Y_yUtTOvDDoXDiIqvsqoOxVZ-X3oZd6WCwZBe5sLHc_5yVnOcwONKVP9U3f9dZG9bkmfyjl81fzHZBwbjpdJlRgXihxMtuFfKYGGQXygDsEn0OyeOrUm5hqQ7KBuNIYUFO1Ou6CzoeYx9R1Q2T2K-fO30PY9bw__;JSUlJSUl!!PhOWcWs!miRCj8pLtHhhFl3h8aHW-oN2mx6FAuXrBCCXV96WoxxCqGA0miLJI_9oo5GmefE$>”

From Ben Fredman (MFA 13) “Last summer, I was working as a camera operator on Lost LA, a show on PBS SoCal's KCET network. I took an opportunity to take the FAA Part 107 test and do drone cinematography for the show. My maiden voyage flew above the clouds at Mt. Wilson observatory! Since then, I've flown around LA County for multiple programs on KCET, above downtown and Santa Clarita for a series of music videos for the band Shinedown, along the Border Wall in El Paso for a UK production called Dynamo Beyond. I've also been doing ongoing drone work around the USA for a feature documentary film for Spotify. I've founded a Drone Cinematography service called There Will Be Drones. Should any FSU alum need drone work, please contact me. www.therewillbedrones.com<http://www.therewillbedrones.com> “
From Eric Boettcher (MFA Writing 14) “I wanted to officially announce that I have accepted a new job at PRG (Production Resource Group) and I will be leading my team as Project Coordinator. With that said, I'm steadily working my way up the leadership ladder and I will be continuing to work hand-in-hand with camera production for film/tv/events. As celebratory as this is, these last six months have been a struggle I would not wish upon my enemies enemy. Throughout this time, I've done a lot of self-reflecting, email blasting, and relied on friendship/family advice. In the end, all of this has taught me a very valuable lesson. Know your self-worth. Both in life and professionally. I'm blessed to start this new chapter in my life and I look forward to carrying this momentum into my wedding as I marry my best friend and lovable hedgehog connoisseur, Cindy. We weathered the storm, together. Lastly, thank you again to my friends/family for checking in, providing advice, and sending me opportunities. I'm indebted to you all and I hope one day to return the favor”.
From Samuel Bellamy (MFA 18 ) “After about a year and a half from my entry into the industry, I am beyond excited to announce that I have been offered, and accepted, my first full-time union assistant editor job! I leave today for ten weeks in Santa Fe to work on a Netflix feature. A huge thank you to everyone who helped me get here and supported me along the way. I couldn’t be here without you.”
From Nikki Groton (BFA 11) "DARKNESS IN TENEMENT 45, the feature film with over 40 FSU alumni behind the camera, is making its WORLD PREMIERE at the Sarasota Film Festival on March 29th and April 5th! Writer/Director Nicole Groton (BFA 11), producers Crystal Collins (BFA 10)/Simone Lapidus (BFA 11), Composer Logan Rees (BFA 11), and cinematographer Carissa Dorson (BFA 11) are just some of the alumni planning to attend. Please join them and get tickets here: https://sarasotafilmfestival.com/film/?id=5e67d0c70c15e800ccbcd5a9<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sarasotafilmfestival.com/film/?id=5e67d0c70c15e800ccbcd5a9__;!!PhOWcWs!nAMX-0KC4-SPLaQhDmvSDMOJmfLn5T101pOxKphALBZbOxGQHG9TYNP3zThND-E$>"

From Sam Goodwin (BFA 14) "We just finished production on "Honey Hair," a really awesome (and difficult haha) short film down here in Atlanta, Georgia. I (Sam Goodwin, BFA 14) wrote and directed and we had a ton of FSU people on board! Colton Clements (BFA 14) produced, Melina Valdez (BFA 16) shot it, and Molly Roland (MFA 17) is editing. Aimee Casey (MFA 19) , Brady Holcomb (BFA 19) , Jonah Johnson (MFA 19) were invaluable help on G+E and Nora Lonergan (BFA 14)  and Jaye Davidson (MFA 10) saved our butts with extra production help. I'm so incredibly grateful  to everybody for coming out and working at our crazy schedule, and thank god so many talented FSU people moved here and came on board or this film absolutely wouldn't have been made. Everyone I've listed (besides Melina, an extremely talented New Yorker) is local to Atlanta and would be an INVALUABLE part of any crews or productions you're putting together in the city. Thank you so so much everybody and we're aiming to start submitting the film in June!"

Costa Karalis and Jack Owen  (both BFA 2) will be in CA attending the screening of their doc, A Colourful Red  Logline: Accepting a job for a high-profile client, an amateur photographer travels to Indonesia and becomes part of a plot affecting hundreds in the freelance industry.  Festival: American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) Location: Palm Spring, California.  Screening Date and Time: March 29th, 6:30 PM @ The Camelot Theatre.  They will spend 3/28 in LA in case anyone has time to talk with them:  Email Costa at cgk16b at my.fsu.edu

From Adam Lucas (MFA  Writing 08) “I've been under the radar for a bit... buying a home and getting married. :) But my most recent short is now on Amazon... THE EMPTY HOUSE<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.amazon.com/Empty-House-Rya-Kihlstedt/dp/B07Z8HGNSK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KNEAZR1CJ8NU&keywords=the*20empty*20house&qid=1577462444&sprefix=the*20empty*20house*2Caps*2C294&sr=8-3__;JSUlJSUl!!PhOWcWs!njliPmbOePtcpzQeTnvFsMD63Qn-OkpYupxi7quiSAl5R8PUf1U6554iWFNnlkU$>... and it's been nominated for a Rondo Hatton award for Best Short Film in 2019!  Although it's not a household name, the Rondo Hatton Award is an honor in the horror community, and is sometimes likened to a "Horror Oscar."  Anyone can vote for us by emailing taraco at aol.com<mailto:taraco at aol.com> by March 29th and including "Category 10, Best Short Film - The Empty House" in their email.”

IN NEED OF (OFFICE) PRODUCTION ASSISTANT CANDIDATES FOR SCRIPTED TELEVISION
My name is Bradley Maurer (BFA 09) and I work as an Assistant Production Coordinator in scripted television.  I’m always looking for Production Assistants to staff our office. In the short term, we sometimes employ PAs for a day or two but, more importantly, in July I will have some full time opportunities available and I would really like to find some high quality FSU candidates for the job(s). The ideal candidate would want to one day be a Producer/Line Producer in scripted TV. That being said, anyone looking to get a foot in the door in the scripted tv world is welcome. The hours can be long and there’s a lot of mundane tasks to be done but I think it's a great opportunity for recent grads or people look to move into scripted tv to get some production experience. If you are currently in Los Angeles, I’d love to meet and see if you’d be a good fit for my office. I’ll be collecting resumes and meeting with people between now and July.  You can email me at bradley.maurer1 at gmail.com<mailto:bradley.maurer1 at gmail.com>.

Update on COVID-19:  President Thrasher has just announced that the university will be shifting from in-person to remote classes for a period of at least two weeks, from March 23 - April 6. The campus will remain open for normal business operations.  The Film School has been hard at work behind the scenes trying to make sure we are all ready to move forward as smoothly as possible in compliance with University guidelines.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 12, 2020

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skyler Theis/Will O’Neal) was selected for screening and won Best College Film at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) won Best Student Film and Best Actress at the Oklahoma Cine Latino Film Festival in Oklahoma City, March 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://historiccapitolhill.com/okcine-latino.

Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton) and Wetman (BFA F3 2019 Cameron Greco) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, March 27 – April 5. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the MovieMakers International Film Festival in Fort Walton Beach, Florida on March 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/suds-n-cinema/moviemakers-international-film-festival/649853872427158/.

El Perro de Piedra (BFA Thesis 2019 Brennan Brinkley) was selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up! Film Festival in West Hollywood, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim) was selected for screening at the FirstGlance Film Festival in Los Angeles, March 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.firstglancefilms.com<http://www.firstglancefilms.com>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the Pasadena International Film Festival, March 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pasadenafilmfestival.org<http://www.pasadenafilmfestival.org>.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.kcundergroundfilmfest.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the San Diego Latino Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go towww.sdlatinofilm.com<http://www.sdlatinofilm.com>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Think on These Things (BFA Documentary 2019 Keaton Kish), Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton), Deep Space(MFA D2 2019 Ashley James), and It Came From Cyberspace (BFA F3 2019 Alexander Martinez) were selected for screening at the Central Florida ShortNight in Orlando on March 22. For more information about this festival, go to https://road7films.com/portfolio/central-florida-shortnight.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Azalea Film Festival in Mobile, Alabama, April 3-4. For more information about this festival, go towww.azaleafilmfestival.com<http://www.azaleafilmfestival.com>.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) are all finalists in the College Narrative category, and Into the Flames (BFA Documentary 2019 Carsen Jessell) is a finalist in the College Documentary category in the Palm Beaches Student Showcase of Films. Winners will be announced at a ceremony on April 3rd in West Palm Beach. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu), No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Oklahoma Cine Latino Film Festival in Oklahoma City, March 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://historiccapitolhill.com/okcine-latino.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.