[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.5.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Mar 5 16:10:29 EST 2020

From April Billingsley (BFA 06) “The Dark Red won Best Director and Best Feature at the Women in Horror Film Festival last night. Shoutout to the fellow grads and soon to be student I just met there! The Dark Red is being released domestically on March 6th. It is at Nitehawk in New York, The Arena Cinelounge in LA and The Plaza in Atlanta among others and will also be rentable digitally on Vudu, Amazon Prime, iTunes, etc. We’d love it if fellow FSUers would support it and tell others about it. Also, I’m in the latest episode of HBO’s The Outsider if any of you are able to catch it. All the best to everyone!”

From Donna Wheeler (MFA 91) “Pretty thrilled to share - the TV series Shareen Anderson<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/shareen.anderson?__tn__=*2CdK-R-R&eid=ARCm_O6GFOslXckTMFiuPDKRDcMvZdiMatt-SurM1EbnLsrmPXYl-KgYw1dRFELzgtvTvQS_DoaDmAZY&fref=mentions__;JQ!!PhOWcWs!n9eWZkRGEpMlw8Czh9SNmp1FDzKR4LKLbyM_aBkU1UsjkzqMFkgj7st4XeBZ7OA$> and I have been diligently crafting is among the Official Selections for 2020 Cannes In Development's Drama Series Pitch at MIPTV :-) We're shortlisted among 12 drama projects from 9 countries - and we're the project representing USA.  We're open to meet with fellow FSU alum in appropriate positions, who might have interest in the project and us. Contact me at FilmmakerDonna at gmail.com<mailto:FilmmakerDonna at gmail.com>”

Congratulations to Rebecca Cook (BFA 09) who is now a Social Media Producer at
CBS Interactive!

Marc Carlini (MFA 05) and Patrick Alexander’s (MFA 06)  She’s in Portland won Excellence in Screenwriting at the Sedona International Film Festival!

From Connie Di Cicco (MFA 01) “As of today, I am officially a candidate for State Representative in House District 44!  (Georgia)  It takes a village, and I'm beyond lucky to belong to a remarkable tribe of amazing women, friends, and family. I'm humbled, proud and incredibly grateful. If you're reading this, you're a friend, and I could absolutely use your support to become the next Representative of House District 44.”

From Bill Kelly (actor in our films) “Finally made it to the red carpet! At World Premier of “The Banker” in Memphis!

Wishing the happiest of birthdays to Eric Jaffe (BFA13).

From Frank Longo (MFA99) “Huge congrats to my buddy Josh Frielander!  His movie HOLLY SLEPT OVER - that he wrote and directed - releases today! I had a blast editing it. Check it out!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbpMcRSIN4&fbclid=IwAR0Az7C3LxL0C8J_YqQjCWjvjEscCnkwLov-pnGYLGCmo28I9OOJm82mqQ0

From Tatiana Bears (BFA 13) ““Incredibly excited to announce that SOCKS ON FIRE will premiere in DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION at the TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL 2020. This has truly been a labor of love and I am so proud of the family we found as we made this beautiful film. Directed by Bo McGuire, SOCKS ON FIRE follows Bo when returns home to rural Alabama to document the bitter property feud between his homophobic aunt and gay uncle. Blending home videos with cinematic reenactments, McGuire paints a riveting picture of a house divided.  Edited / Co-Written/ Co-Produced by Max Allman (BFA 13) , Produced by Tatiana Bears, Cinematography by Matt Clegg (BFA 11) , Camera provided by Landon Kovalick, 1st AC Carly Howard (BFA 17), and Starring Michael Patrick Nicholson, who was a Film School Alum by proxy and in so many of our student films. We were also supported by many other FSU Alums through edit notes, words of encouragement, advice, truly thankful to have a group of talented filmmakers to collaborate with from the beginning. We are so excited to share SOCKS ON FIRE with the world. Tickets go on sale MARCH 17th !!! “

From Nikki Groton (BFA 11) “"Excited to announce that my feature screenplay Hurricane Hennley has advanced to the Semi-Finals for the Fresh Voices Screenplay Contest!! It's one of the two films I'm pushing to make next so am beyond excited. Here's a bit more about the project: After a series of hurricanes leaves a neighborhood struggling for resources, grungy but wholesome HENNLEY discovers a plant growing in her home that magically provides her with assistance. But as the situation grows dire, her neighbors’ greed threatens to destroy the very thing that could save them."

From Adam Lucas (MFA  Writing 08) “ I've been under the radar for a bit... buying a home and getting married. :). But my most recent short is now on Amazon... THE EMPTY HOUSE<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.amazon.com/Empty-House-Rya-Kihlstedt/dp/B07Z8HGNSK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KNEAZR1CJ8NU&keywords=the*20empty*20house&qid=1577462444&sprefix=the*20empty*20house*2Caps*2C294&sr=8-3__;JSUlJSUl!!PhOWcWs!njliPmbOePtcpzQeTnvFsMD63Qn-OkpYupxi7quiSAl5R8PUf1U6554iWFNnlkU$>... and it's been nominated for a Rondo Hatton award for Best Short Film in 2019! Although it's not a household name, the Rondo Hatton Award is an honor in the horror community, and is sometimes likened to a "Horror Oscar." Anyone can vote for us by emailing taraco at aol.com<mailto:taraco at aol.com> by March 29th and including "Category 10, Best Short Film - The Empty House" in their email.”

From Kelly Bumford (BFA 09) “So proud to say that the series I line produced last fall called “The Sauce” is officially going to be a Quibi premiere series during their launch on April 6th. ALSO, I can finally announce that we worked with USHER both as a judge on the show and as an executive producer<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2020/03/usher-quibi-the-sauce-dance-competition-series-1202873364/__;!!PhOWcWs!hOIW9Wrz5IyKy_o-_9bdfz4jYqWiSi1Gpw7W9D3Qh8nIhSw2_dymcSv35RxuB6k$>. It’s huge to have his name and support behind this fun show! Will Sampson (BFA 09) was my Steadicam op for the semi-finals and finale episodes and he did a killer job! I’ve still been working with Quibi, and now I’m line producing their new show “Potty Talk with Alexander Wang<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2019/10/quibi-potty-talk-alexander-wang-fashion-designer-talk-show-1202771065/__;!!PhOWcWs!hOIW9Wrz5IyKy_o-_9bdfz4jYqWiSi1Gpw7W9D3Qh8nIhSw2_dymcSv3GcJLUt8$>” which will shoot our first series at Coachella in April!”

Lynn University is an innovative, global and personalized college based in Boca Raton, Florida. Our 3,000 students are from approximately 100 countries. The Chronicle of Higher Education consistently recognizes us as a "Great College to Work For" with high scores in compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; respect and appreciation, and more. As a Lynn employee, you will help us build a better world with our students. Lynn is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Film Production. Essential Duties and Responsibilities Primary responsibilities include teaching introductory and intermediate undergraduate courses. The college offers a variety of undergraduate majors and minors in the areas of communication and media arts, including a new and a growing B.F.A. program in Film Production. The college is also host to a variety of graduate programs leading to M.S. and M.F.A. degrees.
Minimum Qualifications
• An ability to teach introductory and intermediate film courses
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level
• An ability to work successfully with students of diverse backgrounds
• M.F.A. in film and video production with a minimum of three years or more of professional film production experience preferred
• Significant industry experience in film and video production preferred
For further information, please contact Nava Dushi ndushi at lynn.edu<mailto:ndushi at lynn.edu>, Michael Arsenault marsenault at lynn.edu<mailto:marsenault at lynn.edu> or Stefanie Powers at spowers at lynn.edu<mailto:spowers at lynn.edu>.
To Apply Please include a cover letter, resume or CV with detailed academic credentials, copies of all college transcripts, and three letters of reference.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 5, 2020

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was awarded Best Thriller/Horror at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com<http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was awarded Best Student Short Film at the Sedona Film Festival in Arizona, February 22 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.sedonafilmfestival.com<http://www.sedonafilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was awarded Best Pop Culture Film, Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis) was awarded Best Documentary, and All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) won the Audience Choice Award at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 28 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.pensacon.com<http://www.pensacon.com>.

They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was awarded Best Director at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Viera, Florida on February 29th. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was awarded Best Student Film at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, February 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Oklahoma Cine Latino Film Festival in Oklahoma City, March 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to http://historiccapitolhill.com/okcine-latino.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Azalea Film Festival in Mobile, Alabama, April 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.azaleafilmfestival.com<http://www.azaleafilmfestival.com>.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) are all finalists in the College Narrative category, and Into the Flames (BFA Documentary 2019 Carsen Jessell) is a finalist in the College Documentary category in the Palm Beaches Student Showcase of Films. Winners will be announced at a ceremony on April 3rd in West Palm Beach. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest Fusion LGBTQ People of Color Film Festival in Los Angeles, March 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to outfest.org.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley), Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Xintong Yao), Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby), Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena), Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) and Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) were selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs concurrently with the Sarasota Film Festival, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the Pasadena International Film Festival, March 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pasadenafilmfestival.org<http://www.pasadenafilmfestival.org>.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.kcundergroundfilmfest.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the San Diego Latino Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go towww.sdlatinofilm.com<http://www.sdlatinofilm.com>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Think on These Things (BFA Documentary 2019 Keaton Kish), Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton), Deep Space(MFA D2 2019 Ashley James), and It Came From Cyberspace (BFA F3 2019 Alexander Martinez) were selected for screening at the Central Florida ShortNight in Orlando on March 22. For more information about this festival, go to https://road7films.com/portfolio/central-florida-shortnight.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu), No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.