[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.23.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:00:20 EDT 2020

SFFILM announced today the seven narrative feature films that will receive a total of $195,000 in funding in the Spring, 2020 round of its SFFILM Rainin grants. Federica Gianni, writer/director; Lara Costa-Calzado and Tatiana Bears BFA13, producers – $25,000 for screenwriting.
https://filmmakermagazine.com/109985-spring-2020-sffilm-rainin-grant-winners-announced/?fbclid=IwAR1k3aqtU8KfFKnlkhMA4AHiT55xnuPdiqHRAHrHQvt08mRFzRSunzuwtho#.Xw9Scy2ZNWN

Nicole Emanuele (BFA ‘07) is working on a film with YouTube and RSA titled Life In A Day 2020. The premise is this: On Saturday 25th July, thousands of people all around the world will come together to create a portrait of a single day on earth. The goal is to create the largest user-generated film project in history, and a sequel to original Life in a Day, filmed in 2010.  The film will be available free on YouTube in early 2021.  Anyone can submit footage to the film. If selected you will receive a codirector credit on the film. For more information, and to upload footage, please visit: lifeinaday.youtube

From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10). “I am happy and sad to announce that I am leaving Atlanta after 8 years. Saying goodbye has been bittersweet. I have really grown to love this city and have met truly amazing people who have opened my political, spiritual, and professional horizons. This is the city that I met my partner. But new adventures ahead! I have accepted a role as a tenure track professor at the University of Mississippi. I will be teaching film production.”

Here is a post from some Alums who have participated in our Torchlight Center Studios. Torchlight was established to bridge education to industry and supports a wide variety of opportunities for our students, faculty and alums:

“A team of FSU alumni and I made a new short film in New York earlier this year called Monkey Bars.
We wanted to thank the film school's faculty and staff for the tremendous guidance and support throughout the process of making this project. Editing our film at the film school was absolutely essential and we're extremely grateful to have finished this journey in Tallahassee. This project is a culmination of everything we've learned through the program.
The film’s crew featured:
Writer/Director - Jacqueline Xerri (BFA 19)
Producer - Raymond Knudsen (BFA 19)
DP - Robert Bevis (BFA 18)
Editors - Jacqueline Xerri and Stephen Musumeci (BFA 19)
Production Designer - Grace Stalley (BFA 18)
1st AC - Grayson Goga (BFA 18)
2nd AC - Carrie Rich (MFA 19)
Gaffer - Andrew Landreville (BFA 19)
Sound Mixer - Patrick Saxer (BFA 18)
VFX Artist - Andrew Walton (BFA 19)
The film features Milly Shapiro (Hereditary) and is executive produced by Ethan Lazar (The Witch).
Follow us on social media for updates on our project!
FB - Facebook.com/monkeybarsfilm
IG - @monkeybarsfilm

From Harry Perry III (BFA 99) “My short film “Neil Wade: Superhero Aide” has completed its festival run and has now begun its Broadcast TV run! It has started playing on ShortsTV in both the US as well as Europe. You can find it on the following channels: DirecTV CH 573, AT&T U-Verse CH 1789, US Sonet CH 292, Century Link CH 1789, Frontier CH 1789, Google Fiber CH 603.  Thanks again to all of the alumni who helped make it possible, but a special shout out to Matt Blundell (BFA 00) who made it funnier than I could have ever hoped.”

From Jodie Myers (BFA 97) “I'm involved in an exciting new project that helps NPOs (and schools) with year-round fundraising. If any alums have or are involved with a non-profit, please have them contact me at jodieleh at gmail.com<mailto:jodieleh at gmail.com>, so I could send them information.  Some of the NPOs already on board are JCC, Breast Cancer Angels, United Breast Cancer Foundation, Joy In Birthing, Frontline Doulas, a few YWCAs, Idaho Special Olympics, In A Perfect World and the numbers are growing.  I'd love to see film festivals, other film related or arts related NPOs take advantage of this too.”

From Nick Economides (MFA 09) "Excited to share that, as of July, I will be heading the creative services department for Disney in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland as Manager Creative. I'll be responsible for the promotional audiovisual output across all brands, including the ones I led before and that migrated to Disney along with me (FOX, National Geographic)."
From Nikki Groton (BFA 11) “The world is on fire and sometimes celebrations feel weird, but I'm excited that my little short screenplay "WILD BIRD," which I've been sitting on for YEARS, was just picked as an official selection for Holly Shorts!!!”
Coming out August 2, Hoops, an animated TV Series on which Aubrey Danielson (BFA 14) was Associate Producer and Stephen Bond (BFA ADA 17) was Character Rigger.  The series centers on a hot-headed, foul-mouthed high school basketball coach who thinks turning around his godawful team will take him to the "big leagues."

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – July 23, 2020

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival, August 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for competition in the July Lift-Off Sessions, a competition that ends with a screening at Pinewood Studios in the UK. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase, October 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fwindie.com/.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, July 22 – August 7. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com>.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest: the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, August 20-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org.

The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas/Lizzie Perrin WR) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival throughout the month of September (live and streamed). For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org<http://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, July 22 – August 7. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com>.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for competition in the July Lift-Off Sessions, a competition that ends with a screening at Pinewood Studios in the UK. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Imagination Lunchbox International Children’s Film Festival in Baltimore on August 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginationlunchbox.com<http://www.imaginationlunchbox.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival, August 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest: the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, August 20-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Slam, hosted by the Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida in mid-September. For more information about this festival, go to enzian.org.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase, October 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fwindie.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas Dir/Shuaihua Liu,DP) is a finalist in the inaugural Los Angeles Cinematography Awards to be held October 23rd. For more information about this competition, go to http://losangeles.cawards.org/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.