[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 7.10.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jul 10 10:07:27 EDT 2020

The ASC has formed a committee on Future Practices, co-chaired by Amy Vincent (former Film School instructor).  The committee includes Craig Kief (BFA 99) and a round table discussion to share ideas about training and mentorship will be held this week.  Included in the discussion will be faculty and administration from AFI, USC, Ringling, Chapman, NYU, SCVA NY, UCLA and FSU, including  Reb Braddock, former Film School instructor Johnny Jensen, and CJ Julian (MFA 01).

From Barbara Soares (BFA 12) “I’m thrilled that my script USERNAME made the inaugural Latinx TV List, a curated list of the most promising unmade Latinx-inclusive pilot scripts! It's a cyber thriller/sci-fi with a diverse female lead which is unfortunately still a rarity. Grateful to the organizers for putting this awesome list together and highlighting the work of a vastly underrepresented group of creators. https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2020/06/the-black-list-latin-tracking-board-nalip-remezcla-untitled-latinx-project-unveil-inaugural-latinx-tv-list-diversity-inclusion-representation-1202972696/amp/

From Nick Rogers (BFA 01) “ I’m in the final stage of a PhD sociology program at Stony Brook University on Long Island, NY. I’m researching there, and teaching part-time at NYU. (Previously, I had been practicing law, which eventually made me miserable enough to quit). I primarily study the processes of political polarization, and the ways in which individuals form their belief systems. It’s an interesting time to be studying that subject, to say the least. I still use my film training quite a bit. I put together short educational videos to use in the classroom, and have a documentary project in the works.”

From Stephen Beaumont (MFA 94) “I recently produced the 5-part series, “Lourdes with the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word”.  The series airs on EWTN Monday, July 13 through Friday, July 17 at 5:30pm ET.  There are also 9 short webisodes which can be viewed here:  www.ewtn.com/friars<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.ewtn.com/friars__;!!PhOWcWs!gBcQ7uyyaGJ4bvfuSqHcrgHKr_hvY1Xmn42j7TqY3z6igCUMQlaJztzHq3FfL1g$>.”

How Georgia Hopes to Lead Hollywood's Return to Production<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-georgia-hopes-lead-hollywoods-return-production-1301223?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_2020-07-02%2006:15:00_ehayden&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews>
High-profile projects from Marvel, Netflix and Universal will soon rev up production in the state as others try to nab precious studio space: "We have people circling like sharks."

Nice article on Alex McFry (MFA19) of McDorky Productions in the Voyage LA Magazine.
http://voyagela.com/interview/meet-alex-mcfry-mcdorky-productions-sherman-oaks/?fbclid=IwAR0tU_99jze4X_so71t09lvsYGy-c-JNODTXXkPQBj7uz_2F1vgmBTHfEJ0

From Kale Bittner (BFA 06) “I’ve been working in marketing for the Podcast Network WONDERY for the past year now, and have been loving every minute of it. Podcasts have become my preferred medium of content consumption and I’m so happy to be a part of this burgeoning industry. I wanted to share with everyone a project I’ve been working on for a while now – MURDER IN HOLLYWOODLAND. It’s a True Crime Story set in 1920s Los Angeles, and follows the murder and investigation of William Desmond Taylor. The Podcast is part whodunit detective drama and part 1920s Hollywood time capsule. This event really did shape Hollywood for decades after.  For anyone who works in entertainment I think they’ll find the story and history really compelling.
 LINK TO PODCAST<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/wondery.fm/MIH.__;!!PhOWcWs!jle_a2v9I7a6lBUY1jI3VUWBjE7Jh6AuzpB6JV7rmXi7yJK2aLvooA2txgGjBMo$>
LINK TO VIDEO TRAILER<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWbAH6ID3qM__;!!PhOWcWs!jle_a2v9I7a6lBUY1jI3VUWBjE7Jh6AuzpB6JV7rmXi7yJK2aLvooA2t3Q1P2QM$>

Congratulations to Diana Dai (BFA 18 ) who is now a Storyboard Coordinator at Bento Box in LA!

Larry Verbit (MFA-Theatre) “What a great week! Two shows for which I provide production legal services hit highs this week.  “Floor is Lava” premiered on Netflix on Saturday, June 20th  and quickly became one of the top streamed series for the week. Then on Friday, “The People’s Court” won an Emmy for the best Courtroom/Legal Program.  So proud to be a part of both these series’!”

From The Atlantic:  8 Films to Watch Right Now, According to Barry Jenkins (BFA 03):
https://tinyurl.com/yblr2qjm   Includes Barry’s comments about each film.

From Jenn Persaud (BFA04) Check out this Celebrity Show-Off, the new show I've been working on during Covid! Escapism at its best. Really fun show with a great crew. It’s on Tuesdays at  10PM on TBS.

Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  and Justin Benson's episode of the Twilight Zone Reboot was ranked as the second best of 10! https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3622650/ranking-10-episodes-twilight-zone-season-two/

List of grants for women screenwriters:   http://hollywomen.com/grants/?fbclid=IwAR31cwwvG3nwI8tI9zLzawmWSpF8wdqIbA2vH50mA3YSi6saz-xiTFSHNL0
$1000 MUSIC VIDEO CHALLENGE SEEKS FILMMAKERS/CONTENT CREATORSANNOUNCING THE #SIMPLELITTLESONG FILM CHALLENGE - WINNER RECEIVES $1000 Artists helping Artists!  Friends, you can help music artist Billy Vera, while submitting for a chance to help yourselves.  Your video will help bring attention to this record, as it shows the world your imagination and talent as a video creator!  “A Simple Little Song” by Billy Vera off his new album TIMELESS which can be found at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vd_XjQ2r0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vd_XjQ2r0__;!!PhOWcWs!j5Clpz27fq2Gk5MNi0GzFoqAslKQRp7PkMiezfMgya5T1qj9TXtmHu1P94G_Th0$> The song was recorded with children from Music School for the Blind. It’s a message of hope and togetherness.  1.  The song you will be creating a video for is “A Simple Little Song” by Billy Vera off his new album TIMELESS which can be found at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vd_XjQ2r0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Vd_XjQ2r0__;!!PhOWcWs!j5Clpz27fq2Gk5MNi0GzFoqAslKQRp7PkMiezfMgya5T1qj9TXtmHu1P94G_Th0$> (Take a listen and be as creative as possible in telling a tale for this tune. It does not have to follow typical music video rules. Essentially you will be creating a 4:14 minute long short film to this track.)  2. To submit please Email: SimpleLittleSongFilmChallenge at Gmail.com<mailto:SimpleLittleSongFilmChallenge at Gmail.com> to be sent this song that you will use to make your video and also to submit your final video to be posted, once you are finished. The challenge closes on August 31, 2020, at midnight PST.All work must be completed and submitted by August 31, 2020 with the winning film being announced on Labor Day, September 7, 2020.
We had a great couple of weeks’ vacation; being able to interact with safe family at St. George Island was a wonderful break from isolation.  Last week we had our 4 teenaged grandkids at St. Marks with us the first part of the week, and then added our 2 kids and their spouses for the last half.  Lots of biking, boating, scalloping, game playing, etc.  A really fun week and our house seems especially empty, although we do have our grand-dog Maggie Mae here with us for a week.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – July 9, 2020

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Slam, hosted by the Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida in mid-September. For more information about this festival, go to enzian.org.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes at a date to be determined, though they’re aiming for late June or early July. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Festival in Chicago on July 22. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bigteethsmallshorts.com/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Imagination Lunchbox International Children’s Film Festival in Baltimore on August 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginationlunchbox.com<http://www.imaginationlunchbox.com>.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas Dir/Shuaihua Liu,DP) is a finalist in the inaugural Los Angeles Cinematography Awards to be held October 23rd. For more information about this competition, go to http://losangeles.cawards.org/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org.