[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] FW: [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.1.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 27 13:14:14 EST 2020

Am sending last week’s Warren Report to you because I think I forgot to copy you on last week’s edition.

From: WarrenReport <warrenreport-bounces at lists.fsu.edu> on behalf of WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Date: Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 2:17 PM
To: WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Subject: [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.1.20

From Nic Sridej (MFA Writing 15) “ I'm thrilled to finally share the news: I've been selected as a fellow for the 2020 CAPE New Writers Fellowship! It's an honor to be among such amazing, talented, kind humans. Their writing astounds me.”    From the Deadline article: “As the Asian and Asian American<https://deadline.com/tag/asian-american/> community in Hollywood continues to bask in the awards season victories of Lulu Wang’s The Farewell and Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite, The Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment<https://deadline.com/tag/coalition-of-asian-pacifics-in-entertainment/> (CAPE) looks to add to Asian representation<https://deadline.com/tag/representation/> with the eighth annual CAPE New Writers Fellowship<https://deadline.com/tag/cape-new-writers-fellowship/>. Partnering with major industry partners, CAPE will launch the professional development program which trains emerging writers to succeed in Hollywood.”   Read the article at  https://tinyurl.com/vozzf9r

Aaron Moorhead’s (BFA 08)  Spring and After Midnight were both on EW’s List of 10 of the best romantic horror movies to watch on Valentine’s Day!

From Jon Martin (MFA Writing 19) “The Riverdale spec I wrote in George Geiger’s thesis class this past summer recently placed as a Semifinalist at Scriptapalooza! Many thanks to George for helping me make it one of the strongest scripts I’ve ever written. And congrats to Patrick G. Emralino (MFA Writing 20) for getting second place overall and a cash prize!

From Blake Taylor (BFA 06) “I had an absolute blast writing and being on set for last week’s  episode of Charmed. It aired @ 8/7c on The CW. “

From Susan Shackelford Dawes (MFA 93) “Credit watch: go see my name in the credit roll of "Call of the Wild," opening this weekend! I guess it's my first Disney movie?! Enjoy!”

From TS Nowlin (BFA 03) “The article's only about 50% accurate, but this should be a fun one. Any fans of the first movie out there?” T.S. Nowlin Set To Co-Write ‘Bright 2’ For Netflix.   Read the article at https://tinyurl.com/vg79hwu

From Joe Hackman (BFA 12) “Very excited to announce that I will be back in Florida in March to come talk to the students at FSU and then go to the Miami Film Festival. After winning the inaugural Best Trailer Award last year for my work on the trailer for Knife + Heart<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6aAJ-dOpGM__;!!PhOWcWs!gv2ozCzSX3K7Zua3ql1RCbpOeSl-mQvfriWrfgsE5C87DJyU19zcAJmYPuuFoNs$>, the festival invited me to come give a Master Class on Trailer Editing. Crazy! So on March 7th, I will be at the Silverspot Cinema in Miami to deliver this presentation where I'll be diving deep in to how movie trailers are made and what makes a good one. If you're in Miami and want to attend, you can buy tickets here: shorturl.at/ciuzW<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/shorturl.at/ciuzW__;!!PhOWcWs!gv2ozCzSX3K7Zua3ql1RCbpOeSl-mQvfriWrfgsE5C87DJyU19zcAJmYDNWbh3I$> (And if you want to see a recent trailer that I've done, here is a Teaser for the movie Emma.<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VsOxZCAr0__;!!PhOWcWs!gv2ozCzSX3K7Zua3ql1RCbpOeSl-mQvfriWrfgsE5C87DJyU19zcAJmY_ZjQkyM$>)”

From Courtney Lindbergh, BFA Musial Theater 2001 “I’m looking for someone to take over the lease at my beautiful studio, The 5443. In turn, I’d like to rent the space for two days a week from you. (If that works for you).  This space is about 650 square feet right in midtown LA with two parking spaces in back (plenty of meters in front) and an AC/Heater unit that we installed upon moving in.  The space was retrofit for a photography studio but has housed wedding planners, acting classes, workshops, galleries, music video shoots, events, meditation classes and hosted many daily and monthly photographers.  The current rent is $1350 and I am sure will go up slightly with a new lease.  We pay about $150 extra a month for utilities that include LADWP, high speed Internet, website and a security system.  An ongoing cost is AC/Heater maintenance at the beginning of AC season, which is about $300.  We currently have ongoing renters on some nights and some weekends and we would like to pass along as well.   It is a very rentable location and could easily cover the full rent.  Please reach out if you’re interested. Would love to pass it along to fellow FSU alumni. www.the5443.com<http://www.the5443.com>      clindbergphotography at gmail.com<mailto:clindbergphotography at gmail.com>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – February 20, 2020

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was nominated for Best Original Screenplay, and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening and is a Finalist for the Holle Award Excellence in Filmmaking at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com<http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com>.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 11-23. For more information about this festival, go towww.paf.org<http://www.paf.org>.
The Brother (MFA D1 2018 Alex Argiles) was selected for screening at the Experimental Edge Film & Art Festival in Tallahassee on February 22nd. For more information about this festival, go to www.ceffnetwork.org<http://www.ceffnetwork.org>.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore), Think on These Things (BFA Documentary 2019 Keaton Kish) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.
A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu DR/Jonas Schubach DP) was selected for screening at the Asian Cinematography Awards Film Festival, February 21-23 in Manila, the Phillippines. For more information about this festival, go to http://asia.cawards.org.
Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Bay Area International Children’s Film Festival in Oakland, February 22-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://baicff.com.
A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) was selected for screening at the Magnolia Independent Film Festival in Starkville, Mississippi, February 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.magnoliafilmfest.com<http://www.magnoliafilmfest.com>.
Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) is a Semi-Finalist, and Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) is a Finalist and will be screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, February 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com>.
They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Viera, Florida on February 29th. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Sedona Film Festival in Arizona, February 22 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go towww.sedonafilmfestival.com<http://www.sedonafilmfestival.com>.
Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley), I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez), All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim), Lady in Red Metal (MFA D2 2018 Hunter McGarry) and Lizard King (MFA D2 2019 Meredith Mansfield) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 28 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.pensacon.com<http://www.pensacon.com>.
Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest Fusion LGBTQ People of Color Film Festival in Los Angeles, March 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to outfest.org.
Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley), Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Xintong Yao), Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby), Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena), Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.
Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) and Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) were selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs concurrently with the Sarasota Film Festival, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com.
A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the Pasadena International Film Festival, March 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pasadenafilmfestival.org<http://www.pasadenafilmfestival.org>.
Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.kcundergroundfilmfest.com/.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the San Diego Latino Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go towww.sdlatinofilm.com<http://www.sdlatinofilm.com>.
Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) and Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.
A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.
A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.
The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.
Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.
A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.
Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.
Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.
Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.
The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.
Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.serfilmfestival.com/.
My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.
Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.