[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] Warren Report 2.6.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-bfad film-bfad at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 6 14:19:06 EST 2020

[cid:image001.png at 01D5DCF8.554BAA80]

This marks our third year with HollyShorts, screening at the TCL 6 Chinese Theatres, part of Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The historic Chinese Theatre is famous for its palatial design and forecourt filled with the hand and footprints of movie stars like Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. The TCL 6 is on the third level of the attached Hollywood and Highland complex. We hope you will stick around after the show and join us at Sid's Bar & Lounge located in the theatre lobby, where you will have the opportunity to meet some of the filmmakers and catch up with alumni and friends.

The Eventbrite sight is up and running. All free tickets currently available have been claimed but we expect more to be released. Waiting list still in effect - most have already been accommodated. As we have more tickets to release, the site will start from the top of the list and give each waiting person 24 hours to claim the released ticket. If they do not, it goes to the next on the list and so on.  Or you can purchase your ticket through festival website:http://www.hollyshorts.com/

[cid:image002.png at 01D5DCF8.554BAA80]

Go to cmpaoscars2020.eventbrite.com<http://cmpaoscars2020.eventbrite.com/> for complete information and to purchase tickets and join us for a fun evening celebrating the movies!  Advanced ticket sales end Friday, February 7, but tickets can be purchase at the door.

Walt Disney Television<https://deadline.com/tag/walt-disney-television/> has named its 13 writers for its 2020 Writing Program. The initiative offers advanced professional development before participants are hired as staff writers on Walt Disney Televsision shows during the program year.  One of these writers is Kiesha Ansley (BFA 05). Read the Deadline article at https://deadline.com/2020/02/walt-disney-television-2020-writing-program-disney-channel-eunetta-t-boone-comedy-writing-scholar-1202850338/
Sundance: A U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award: Neo-Realism was presented to: Eliza Hittman, for Never Rarely Sometimes Always / U.S.A. (Director and screenwriter: Eliza Hittman, Producers: Adele Romanski (BFA 04) , Sara Murphy) — An intimate portrayal of two teenage girls in rural Pennsylvania. Tatiana Bears (BFA 13) co-produced, Barry Jenkins (BFA 03)  and Mark Ceryak (BFA 03) exec produced, and Michael Kefeyalew (BFA 13)  was script sup.

Max Richter’s Sleep, a documentary which tells the story behind the composers’ landmark nocturnal work, will have its North American Premiere at the Sundance Film Festival 2020 on Friday 31st January. The Premiere will be accompanied by a special evening concert of a 90-minute version of Sleep performed by Max Richter, a string quintet from New York’s American Contemporary Music Ensemble, and soprano Grace Davidson. The concert will be followed by a Q&A with Max Richter, his creative partner and producer of Sleep Yulia Mahr, and filmmaker Natalie Johns. Eagle Rock Films are proud to present the documentary from JA Films and Globe Productions, produced by Julie Jakobek, Yulia Mahr, Oualid Mouaness  (MFA 97) and Stefan Demetriou and directed by Emmy-nominated, award-winning filmmaker Natalie Johns.

For the March issue of Sight & Sound Magazine Bong Joon-Ho named 20 young directors he think will be influential in the coming 20 years and David Robert Mitchell (MFA 02) is 15 on that list.

From Matt Pope (MFA 05) “Blood On Her Name is being released domestically by Vertical Entertainment on Feb 28th in limited theatrical and nationwide VOD. A full list of theaters for the one week run is in the link below along with the official trailer, but I want to call out specifically that I’ll be in person for Q&A screenings in NY on the 27th (Nitehawk Williamsburg), LA on the 28th (Laemmle Monica Film Center) and Atlanta on the 29th (location TBD.) If you’re able to make it to a screening please come say hi. And if you can’t, rent it on VOD and convince a few thousand of your closest friends to do the same! We’re also screening at EFM in Berlin to kick off international sales, so fingers crossed that the markets are friendly. https://www.avclub.com/an-exclusive-blood-on-her-name-trailer-gets-to-the-soul-1841428351<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.avclub.com/an-exclusive-blood-on-her-name-trailer-gets-to-the-soul-1841428351__;!!PhOWcWs!gHvNvJxDYtoE0fOMeza8E0WXkgpRyFEKegopX6OkOnZNGfHjIp6LGlaOPSKDS_c$>”

From Roger Ghaman (MFA 96) “I am currently editing on USA's Chrisley Knows Best.  It's a lot of fun to work on.  On March 27th, the Amazon Prime show I was an editor on last Fall, Making The Cut, will drop and then in April, I start cutting a new Netflix show.   Hopefully the rest of 2020 stays that busy!

From Sam Littenberg-Weisberg (MFA 07) “Dude’ Uses Clever Digital Effects to Visualize Anxieties. Read the article in Animation Magazine at : https://tinyurl.com/royp7bf
Congratulations to three Quarter-Finalists on the 2019-20 Fresh Voices List: Nikki Groton (BFA 11) with her script Hurricane Hennley, Logan Rees (BFA 11) with B.I.T., and Yiyi Yin (MFA 15) with Wan Mei (Perfect).
Adrienne McNalley (BFA 02) has started a new position as editor of Season 4 of Claws!

From Brandon Foster (MFA Writing 14) “Very excited to announce that I’ve been invited to attend the CineStory TV 📺 Fellowship and Retreat this March in Idyllwild, CA. It will be four days of tv writing mentorship, simulated writer’s rooms, and more!”

From Millicent Johnnie (MFA 2) “Recently this article was published in Southern Cultures Magazine about my research in South Africa and the NEFA project with Cleo Parker Robinson Dance. It is also the project that inspired my writing of “Bamboula is Not Bamboozled” in Julianna Baggot’s class last spring at FSU.   http://www.southerncultures.org/article/finding-new-orleans-in-zululand/

David Willis (BFA ADA 15) here. My production assistant gig ended recently and I am now seeking new opportunities. If you need a writers' pa, writers' assistant, director's assistant, or development assistant, I'm your guy. I am Los Angeles based, great with research, proofreading, brainstorming, passionate about film/tv, and patient in situations where others are not. I have a resume and writing samples ready to go. If this interests you, please let me know, I'd love to speak with you. My email is davidawillis15 at gmail.com<mailto:davidawillis15 at gmail.com>

From Jamie Klein (BFA ADA 15) “I am the vfx production manager here on s1 of “The Old Man” with FX. This experience has been unique in that I’ve had the opportunity to help my supervisor on set while still building out our infrastructure/database so I’m changing gears day to day. The show is looking REALLY great so I’m growing more & more excited to get going with shot production here soon.”

From Dani Fiondella (MFA Writing 19) “This past November, I directed and executive produced my next short in Los Angeles. It is a short comedy that I wrote during my time at FSU and the launch of a series, produced by my partner Stefan Schneiderman. The crew is over 70 percent FSU graduates including Director of Photography Samantha Volk (MFA Writing 2019), Production Designer Lizzy Becker (MFA Writing 2019), Editor Samuel Bellamy (MFA 2018), Script Supervisor Lizzie Perrin (MFA Writing 2019), Art Director Jon Martin (MFA Writing 2019), Gaffer Scott Marino (BFA 2019) and Sound Editor Joey Newfield (School of Theatre 2015). We also had wonderful L.A. based creatives including our film scorer Jess Disraeli, Make-up-Artist/PA Sterling Champion, Sound Mixer Aamir Edwards and our cast Brittany Lewis and Charlie Landsman. We are currently in post-production and excited to release it!”\

From Spencer Frankeberger (MFA 15)  “Last summer, I had the honor of directing a short film written by Jack C. Thomas (writer of Fairly Oddparents, The Regular Show, and EP of the Disney animated series The Replacements) for Camp Hollywood called Too Real, and I have now been given the opportunity to not only direct, but to write a short this year as well.  You can view the short from last summer here: https://vimeo.com/349673270<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vimeo.com/349673270__;!!PhOWcWs!m3Vje6n0EjWPgZCyAMsrWtEoq9mEdznqLIBiQ-N-KUOsp0SS3bLFxC3nah0BMps$> And the second thing I'd like to throw out there: I am officially part of the cast of The Really Awesome Improv Show, which is a family-friendly short-form improv show at Second City Hollywood that runs every Saturday and Sunday at 12pm -- and is now in its 10th year!  I am part of a rotating cast of over 40 players.  You can buy tickets here: https://bit.ly/2tmkSKH<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/2tmkSKH__;!!PhOWcWs!m3Vje6n0EjWPgZCyAMsrWtEoq9mEdznqLIBiQ-N-KUOsp0SS3bLFxC3nq-njsPw$>, but if you want to know when I'm playing, feel free to find me on IG: @spencer101f or e-mail me: spencerfrankeberger[at]gmail.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/gmail.com__;!!PhOWcWs!m3Vje6n0EjWPgZCyAMsrWtEoq9mEdznqLIBiQ-N-KUOsp0SS3bLFxC3n6l7-xp0$> to come see me play and have fun improvising make 'em ups!  Also had a class this past week with Russell Boast, the PRESIDENT of the Casting Society of America who took me on a private tour of Paramount (with the class I was in!).  That was a cool experience--we met with the VP of Film Casting at Paramount who took us on a tour as well.

From Jamie Rice and Nicole Machon (BFA '15): Here's the trailer<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.twogirlsthreefeet.com/watch/i-love-my-upstairs-neighbor__;!!PhOWcWs!j28LkuOd3SifS5CrOVVVKQBqQDcx28t2L1aJmByHlTeY_2PusAGN9QatEmcYsGg$> for our new short film "I Love My Upstairs Neighbor" starring comedians Holmes Holmes<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.holmeshome.me/__;!!PhOWcWs!j28LkuOd3SifS5CrOVVVKQBqQDcx28t2L1aJmByHlTeY_2PusAGN9QathhtZJrM$> and Meg Stalter.<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/megstalter__;!!PhOWcWs!j28LkuOd3SifS5CrOVVVKQBqQDcx28t2L1aJmByHlTeY_2PusAGN9QatavcjuC8$> Bunch of alums on the crew: Laura Conte, Paula Andrea Gonzalez-Nasser, Chloe Lind, Paul Ramsdell, Anthony Penczner, and produced with 5th Floor Pictures<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.5thfloorpictures.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!j28LkuOd3SifS5CrOVVVKQBqQDcx28t2L1aJmByHlTeY_2PusAGN9Qat7pJQqM4$>. We launched our new production company, Two Girls Three Feet<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.twogirlsthreefeet.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!j28LkuOd3SifS5CrOVVVKQBqQDcx28t2L1aJmByHlTeY_2PusAGN9QatylVYlts$>, in conjunction with the trailer release. Hoping to submit to fests in the coming months! “

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – February 6, 2020

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the Pasadena International Film Festival, March 11-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.pasadenafilmfestival.org<http://www.pasadenafilmfestival.org>.

They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Viera, Florida on February 29th. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) and All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) were selected for screening and are both nominees for Best Student Film at the Southern Oasis Film Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee on February 8th. For more information about this festival, go to www.southernoasisff.com.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Kansas City Underground Film Festival, March 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.kcundergroundfilmfest.com/.

Hues of Me (MFA D2 2019 Spencer Elmore) was selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com<http://www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) was selected for screening at the International Film Festival on Disability in Lyon, France, February 7-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://festival-international-du-film-sur-le-handicap.fr/index.html.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at the Tally Shorts Film Festival, February 7-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallyshorts.com<http://www.tallyshorts.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, February 11-23. For more information about this festival, go towww.paf.org<http://www.paf.org>.

Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the inaugural bi-annual LA Black Film Festival, February 12-16. For more information about this festival, go tolafilmfestivals.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/lafilmfestivals.com/__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7tDAoVtQ2xrvBtoix_zvQzayY4MW40K6_kjQVHhr6pdykztFDs-Ki4UiS_x3GeB9kOE$>.

Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Xintong Yao) was selected for screening at the Reel Teal Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina on February 15th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.flickerfilm.org/what-is-reel-teal.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) was selected for screening at the Dam Short Film Festival in Boulder City, Nevada, February 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.damshortfilm.org<http://www.damshortfilm.org>.

Lady in Red Metal (MFA D2 2018 Hunter McGarry) was selected for screening at the Mad Monster Party Film Festival in Charlotte, North Carolina, February 14-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://madmonster.com/events/carolina2019/.

Super Chef (MFA Thesis 2015 Rochelle Rose) was selected for screening at the Common Good International Film Festival in Claremont, California, February 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://commongoodfilms.org/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Boston SciFi Film Fest, February 7-17. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.bostonscifi.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu DR/Jonas Schubach DP) was selected for screening at the Asian Cinematography Awards Film Festival, February 21-23 in Manila, the Phillippines. For more information about this festival, go to http://asia.cawards.org.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Bay Area International Children’s Film Festival in Oakland, February 22-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://baicff.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) was selected for screening at the Magnolia Independent Film Festival in Starkville, Mississippi, February 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.magnoliafilmfest.com<http://www.magnoliafilmfest.com>.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) is a Semi-Finalist, and Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) is a Finalist and will be screening at the Women in Horror Film Festival in Atlanta, February 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.wihff.com<http://www.wihff.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Sedona Film Festival in Arizona, February 22 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go towww.sedonafilmfestival.com<http://www.sedonafilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley), I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez), All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim), Lady in Red Metal (MFA D2 2018 Hunter McGarry) and Lizard King (MFA D2 2019 Meredith Mansfield) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 28 – March 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.pensacon.com<http://www.pensacon.com>.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest Fusion LGBTQ People of Color Film Festival in Los Angeles, March 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to outfest.org.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley), Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Xintong Yao), Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby), Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena), Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) and Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) were selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs concurrently with the Sarasota Film Festival, March 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahedeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.