[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 12.17.18

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:08:26 EST 2020

James Laxton (BFA 03) will be the cinematographer for The Lion King Prequel! https://thedisinsider.com/2020/12/15/moonlight-cinematographer-reteaming-with-barry-jenkins-on-disneys-the-lion-king-prequel/
From Jessica Bouyer (MFA 20) “As of November 2nd, I was promoted and currently serving as COVID-19 Testing Assistant on the WB show  Stargirl. I have more responsibility and agency which is exciting and a bit scary. However, I know my experience at FSU CMPA will guide me to continue to do my job to the best of my abilities.”
From Ryan Spindall (MFA 07) “The caliber of horror films (and filmmakers) on this list is mind-blowing, and I'm beyond humbled to be listed along side them. Thank you iHorror!  https://www.ihorror.com/best-horror-2020-kelly-mcneely/?fbclid=IwAR2d8Nj-iF0vRNj9AxBi_4K2QbuBH6xTGxqiTahLdwHti4hXXPNGnpd4l90   NOTE:  The Mortuary Collection is #6!

From Megan Robb D’Arco (MFA 04) “After 8 years editing on Chicago Fire, I have begun editing another Dick Wolf series called FBI: Most Wanted.  Balancing working from home and two kids in distance learning has been a challenge, but we are managing!”
Happy to report that Kyle Arrington (MFA Writing 09) will be remotely conducting a writing table for our MFA writing students in the Spring Semester.
From Kenneth Jones (MFA 91) “Here is a new oped I wrote and was published about long term care and Covid19. I'm using my filmmaking to create conversations about caregiving. Thanks, Ken. P.s. We're holding off on the Tallahassee premiere of our film until we can get back in the theatres in 2021   https://www.tallahassee.com/story/opinion/2020/11/29/keep-those-long-term-care-mind-opinion/6441839002/

From Iman Zawahry (MFA 08) “I’m so humbled to have been nominated for the CAIR-FL Annual Awards as Educator of the Year! Will you please vote for me at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/cairflawards<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/cairflawards?fbclid=IwAR38wriOYSYT-uDqB7Ekg1RCXZS9E4kooeFGslbP7N4G3WUmAeUllE3xRf8>? Teaching my students and educating diverse communities about the Muslim experience are so important to me, so winning this would be such an honor. Thank you!

"Invisible", a fast-paced, positive and entertaining tale by Film School Community Liaison Dave Schmeling and writing partner David Pasquarelli, earned a Bronze Medal at the 2020 LGBTQ Unbordered International Film Festival. Their script tackles two top social issues; aging and gender.

SFFILM’s Rainin Grant is currently accepting applications for its 2021 cycle! Open internationally, the grant supports features examining social justice in screenwriting, development, or post-production. Regular deadline February 11; Late deadline March 12. Apply today: https://bit.ly/3odwffi<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/3odwffi__;!!PhOWcWs!iZjhxBrKnGtaVePjRrZ-jlvIBp6SRl5pBNk6pZkgFGzJTzKhkdHgZAzt9tGRERQ$>

Not sure whether I’ll do another Warren Report before the holiday so just in case I’m sending best wishes for a wonderful, relaxing, rejuvenating break!  While not officially working till after the 1st of the year, if you send me fun things to share I may still get a Warren Report out.   We’ll be spending the break primarily at our house in TLH instead of at St. Marks, which is kind of a stacation.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – December 17, 2020

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), The Oval Portrait (BFA F3 2020 Ethan Townsend) and My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) were selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Sicily Independent Film Awards in Italy on December 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.sicilyindependentfilmawards.com/.

Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head film festival in San Francisco, December 11-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfindie.com<http://www.sfindie.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) is a Semi-Finalist in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 15 – December 31. For more information about this tour, go to http://shortfilmtour.org.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Cift Festival of Toronto on January 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://cyrusmonthlyfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis), All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.