[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 12.10.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 10 12:17:33 EST 2020

From Matt Weiss (BFA 97) “The feature film I had the pleasure of editing starting Aubrey Plaza, Sarah Gadon and Christopher Abbott, Black Bear (directed by Lawrence Levine) came out Dec. 4th on all VOD platforms and in some select theaters around the country. It’s been getting great reviews (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_bear<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_bear__;!!PhOWcWs!gSf8_ZLEGL77sh4VZ6ztBDbQqpZbN8IHzDsd4CrPT6wMYrDRHL0bPeklgGBNYS8$> ) and it’s been really rewarding reading people’s reactions and various interpretations of it’s mind-bending storytelling style. Hopefully every Seminole ever will check it out! https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/black-bear/id1540847850<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/itunes.apple.com/us/movie/black-bear/id1540847850__;!!PhOWcWs!gSf8_ZLEGL77sh4VZ6ztBDbQqpZbN8IHzDsd4CrPT6wMYrDRHL0bPekl5i_7bXs$> “

From Christian Klein (BFA ADA 16) “I recently had the privilege of being the lead animator on a charming holiday music video for the legendary Dolly Parton. I also got to "write" it in the sense that the client didn't know what they wanted, so my supervisor at Ingenuity Studios<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.ingenuitystudios.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!g5QryN8ppeYfyTixgHt3uyZ3HNPC9By4d7UPiwujPO2f-lMvyazQNNewune41Pk$> let anyone who wanted to submit a story pitch, and my idea of the cross-country road trip concert adventure was chosen. It's easily my favorite project of my professional career so far, and you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oY1YHQFYO4<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oY1YHQFYO4__;!!PhOWcWs!g5QryN8ppeYfyTixgHt3uyZ3HNPC9By4d7UPiwujPO2f-lMvyazQNNewE6wFdsw$>

Check out this article about our own intrepid filmmaker Antonio Mendez. Very cool. Congratulations Antonio!https://variety.com/2020/film/global/wanda-films-antonio-mendez-esparza-madrid-is-it-1234834536/

Get a copy of Essence magazine.  MFA Kelsey Scott and her new husband Malik El-Amin have a feature in the November/December issue. Here is a link to the article:  https://www.essence.com/love/weddings/how-four-black-couples-said-i-do-during-the-pandemic/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.essence.com/love/weddings/how-four-black-couples-said-i-do-during-the-pandemic/__;!!PhOWcWs!gwqyuljWlNdAsc3y3kS-xZvXB3vmCefDhi4HSXO7K2ClKEUBCN7s9ncqmiiPQ3g$>  But if you have a chance to grab a copy, it's a much better aesthetic.

From Shane Spiegel (BFA 11) “The childrens Christmas special Justin Reager (BFA 11) and I made is now on Peacock! It's a half hour special called "Junk Drawer Magic Trick-Mas," based on the kids magic show we've been doing. It's on the front page of Peacock, but you can also find it at this link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.peacocktv.com/watch/asset/tv/kids/junk-drawer-magic-trickmas-special/1e0ef6db-6737-3f26-ab30-5097e805648e__;!!PhOWcWs!kEumh6WQd0JUnVPXlW80L-WXfF_KedElghIv4cGblE1sUqo9W04XtySy1fiRjLA$>. Our little magic show has become quite popular, we filmed this at Universal Studios a year ago, and had kids at the park lining up to meet our stars! We had some great FSU crew on this: Justin Reager (BFA 11) co-directed and edited, Carissa Dorson (BFA 11) was DP, Andrew Penczner (BFA 10) was Camera Operator, Michael Felker (10) also edited, and Clara Diez (BFA 14) was Production Designer. It was produced with Will Sampson (BFA 09) under our production company Can't Change the West.”

From Breyionna Flowers (MFA 20) “I just wrapped my first major feature as a 2nd Unit PA on Samaritan (2021), starring Sylvester Stalone, Dascha Polanco, and Pilou Asbæk. I walked amongst giants and got to witness some of the most amazing stunts. I learned so much from the director, script sup and ADs, got the opportunity to network with some very talented people, and got offered some nice jobs for next year (Prayers up!). I am also now a high school literature tutor with a new Canadian company here in Atlanta. My primary responsibility is to dissect the elements of story structure with my students, so that they can understand what narrative is, what drives it and how to analyze it academically. In the midst of so much uncertainty with Covid, I really am grateful to have found these opportunities that align with my gift and that are helping me grow as a storyteller along the way.

From Taylor Slingerland (BFA 13) “Was a pleasure to be featured and interviewed in the Fall issue of Observica - check out the photo spread and conversation starting on page 132!  https://issuu.com/biafarinart/docs/observica_-_2020_-_fall_-_biafarin_-_001?fr=sNjdiZDIzNTIzODA&fbclid=IwAR26hCqN9YRcPB29DvTGWCKGQrNP_WGk8JT5LuEfCEJ5i6SoBD9Zm-zzZyc

From Jodie Myers (BFA 97) “This is my friend's home showcase and it's being used for location shooting. (NOTE:  Woodland Hills).    It's phenomenal.  I think Jack In The Box, just shot there 3 times, which is a rarity, they love the place. They are getting rep’d by most of the location agencies but can totally be contacted directly as well.  Anyone interested is welcome to mention that I, Jodie Myers, referred them.  Here's the location showcase, it's got amazing exterior as well as interior options. www.rumpunchhouse.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sgnldrp.online/click?redirect=http*3A*2F*2Fwww.rumpunchhouse.com*2F&dID=1607367076957&linkName=www.rumpunchhouse.com__;JSUlJQ!!PhOWcWs!lGWxP1lZdKTXV03yrA6WFVTmusZ9UJ7dDFACk6askfxWRy3Al16Co9JesrB0-ds$> If you know anyone in the industry that would be interested in seeing this, i.e. producers, production managers, production scouts, production companies, please share!”

From Garrard Whatley (BFA 93) “This has been a summer of personal tragedy for me, losing my wife Vickie to cancer in July. My son Jake and I are making our way forward the best we can - slowly. Work has been an important part of that recovery for me, and I am so thankful to have been busy despite the pandemic. I know many who are having a hard time now. It's definitely a time for giving. Many people associate me with RocketWerks, the post sound company I started in 1997 and kept for 20 years. After marriage - and our having a child - I began to feel a need for a change - so I wrapped up RocketWerks and incorporated a new company, Seismic Post Audio, in 2018. It was like a rebirth, and I fell in love with sound all over again. Seismic includes all of my post audio work as well as my voiceover services, in addition to software development for post audio. Since making that shift, I have had the great fortune to have worked on some amazingly wonderful films as Supervising Sound Editor and Re-recording Mixer. Some recent titles that are streaming now:
Theatrical:
The Wolf of Snow Hollow - comedy-drama-action... a very funny and deeply felt film. Incredible performances, and a lot of fun with sound.
Shedding - amazing drama with a premise (what if a cat became human, which sounds like a comedy) that belies its incredibly moving, dramatic impact. Again, such amazing performances.
Greener Grass - a dark comedy (though I treated it like horror - it really is!) - The film's two directors and stars, Jocelyn DeBoer and Dawn Luebbe, are just comedy powerhouses - and their full-on belief in the maniacal world they've created shows just what amazing actresses and filmmakers they are.
Clarence Clemons: Who Do I Think I Am? - absolutely wonderful, meditative tribute - a documentary about the late saxophone player for Bruce Springsteen
COMING SOON:
Too Late - extremely funny comedy/horror starring Alyssa Limperis, Fred Armisen, Mary Lynn Rajskub and Ron Lynch about an assistant in Los Angeles who needs to find the courage to face her boss, a literal man-eating monster (I mean - EVERYONE can relate to this film).
Television:
The Holzer Files - (now in season 2 on the Travel Channel) follows three paranormal investigators as they view the files and revisit the homes made famous by mid-20th century "Ghost Hunter" Hans Holzer. We have access to all of his original reel-to-reel tape recordings for each of his investigations, and include bits of those amazingly warm analog recordings in every episode. For me, this show is part audio restoration, part sound design, and all creative story-telling.

I feel very fortunate to be working at all during this pandemic, and to be associated with these amazing filmmakers and producers makes this all so much more wonderful and fulfilling.  If you are interested in Siesmic Audio Post you can contact me at seismicpostaudio at gmail.com<mailto:seismicpostaudio at gmail.com> .”

The Florida Office of Film and Entertainment (OFE) strives to strengthen and diversify the state’s economy through the growth and development of the film and entertainment industry.  Part of OFE’s mission is to market Florida as a world-class production center.  The responsibilities of the Marketing and Outreach Intern help to achieve these goals. In order to participate in this unpaid internship, applicants must be eligible for course credit through their university.  Required hours are flexible and will be based on course credit requirements set by the university (usually approximately 20 hours/week).  This internship will be 100% virtual.
Position Responsibilities Include:

  *   Social Media Management
     *   Maintain OFE social media channels, including:
        *   Facebook
        *   Twitter
        *   LinkedIn
        *   Creation of Instagram Account

·        OFE Website Management
o   Maintain OFE website www.filminflorida.com<http://www.filminflorida.com> using Word Press.

        *   Homepage content
        *   Video content
        *   New page creation

·        Advertising and Outreach (May not be applicable)
o   Work with staff to create ad campaigns, and other creative works/materials

     *   Create graphics for use in advertising, collateral and promotional items

o   Write promotional and collateral copy
·        Additional tasks as assigned by the Film Commissioner.
Resumes or requests for additional info can be submitted to: FloridaOFE at deo.myflorida.com<mailto:FloridaOFE at deo.myflorida.com>.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – December 10, 2020

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) is a Semi-Finalist in the October-November bimonthly edition of the Dumbo Film Festival in Brooklyn. For more information about this festival, go to www.dumbofilmfestival.com<http://www.dumbofilmfestival.com>.

Invulnerable, or the Sudden Inexplicable Invincibility of Hamza Faraz Jansher (MFA QD2 2020 Shahbaz Ahmed) was selected for screening at the virtual edition of the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org<http://www.seattleaaff.org>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/<http://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/>.

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) was selected for screening and won the Silver Award in the category Student CGI Short at the Los Angeles Animation Festival, December 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.laafest.com/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was awarded Best Student Short and Best Leading Actress at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival, December 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org.

Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York, December 4-10. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.femalevoicesrock.com/.
Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival in Los Angeles, December 4-11. For more information about this festival, go to http://culvercityfilmfestival.com/.
The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Sicily Independent Film Awards in Italy on December 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.sicilyindependentfilmawards.com/.
Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head film festival in San Francisco, December 11-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfindie.com<http://www.sfindie.com>.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.
La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.
My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) is a Semi-Finalist in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 15 – December 31. For more information about this tour, go to http://shortfilmtour.org.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Cift Festival of Toronto on January 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://cyrusmonthlyfestival.com/.
The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.
Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.
FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.
All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.
A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.
Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.
Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.
The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.
My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.
Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.