[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 12.6.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Sun Dec 6 11:18:55 EST 2020

From Chris Amick (BFA 10) “It’s been a little while since we sent you an update, so we wanted to share some news for the next report. In March, right before things all shut down, Ben Mekler (BFA 10) and I started a new gig as Head Writers on a new Netflix/Dreamworks animated action-comedy series, and in September we were promoted to Co-Executive Producers. The series hasn’t been announced yet, but it’s a really fun new take on a beloved IP, and we’re absolutely thrilled and a little shocked to be given so much agency over where to take this story next. We’ve been fortunate to keep production rolling as we all work from home.  Outside of that series, we sold an original series pitch to Comedy Central in January and spent the summer writing the pilot. We just got the unfortunate news that they won’t be picking us up to series, but we had a blast developing and now it’s on to the next one. On the feature side, we’ve partnered with Playstation to develop a pitch on a classic title that we’re packaging and getting ready to take out to buyers, and we also have a new feature spec with talent, producers, and a director attached that we’ll start to take out this week. Everything seems like it moves too slowly until you write it all down for the Warren Report.  Also - Ben had a baby! Sunday Celia Mekler was born on September 21st. Heck of a year!”

From Matt Hartwell (BFA 07) “Hope you're doing well! Andrew Adams (BFA 08) and I both have short stories in a new YA horror anthology for teens, Horror From The High Dive, that was just published this past Friday the 13th! It's available on Amazon for purchase (https://tinyurl.com/y4hm3kbb<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tinyurl.com/y4hm3kbb__;!!PhOWcWs!n-4tEwbWqBVZVcAKHVTsyJZzZmEyyZLggA0RJ-EuvsLBTprIFhwd7NA2YE2r5as$>), and it was a lot of fun coming up with a spooky tale. Mine is about making new friends, losing your old friends, and what happens when your new friend tries to eat your old friends. We're a little past Halloween now, but hopefully it isn't too late to curl up under the covers with a flashlight!”
From Sam Goodwin (BFA 14) “Hey everyone! Excited to say that my short horror film, Homesick, got picked up by "Alter" and will be released on their platform Friday the 27th of November! This film was crewed by some amazing FSU people. Kyle Morgan (BFA  13)  shot it, Brittany Rothal (BFA 14) did the amazing production design, Garrett Detrixhe (BFA ADA 16) Ad'd, Landon Kovalick, Carly Howard (BFA 17), and Kadeef Sanders (MFA 14) made up our GREAT G+E team, and the wonderful Kelsey Middleton (BFA 13) was our 1st AC. Give it a watch! Alter has the potential to reach a LOT of people, so if you can, help us share it too!   https://youtu.be/0WI7WSNfDn0
Congratulations to Liam Fineout (BFA 1) who has just been inaugurated into the FSU Student Senate, as Senator for the only seat for the College of Motion Picture Arts!
From Mike Culyba (MFA 98) “ I just released the trailer for my upcoming documentary film Keeper of Time. https://www.keeperoftimemovie.com/trailer<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.keeperoftimemovie.com/trailer__;!!PhOWcWs!iCNsXBSVY-RswH4zeDoU-3m4LMgtyBACoh44XuS9xSwc5bbQqWnkoDtYYlHpqHcFnaM$> The film will be released this late winter 2021. You can follow all the latest news and updates on the film’s Instagram @keeperoftimemovie<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/keeperoftimemovie/__;!!PhOWcWs!iCNsXBSVY-RswH4zeDoU-3m4LMgtyBACoh44XuS9xSwc5bbQqWnkoDtYYlHpOJHUO5M$>”

From Austin Baur (BFA ADA 16) “For the past few months I have been working with Trilith Studios in Atlanta to create animated short films centered around an adorable robotic character named Cozmo! Our first short film went live on YouTube Thanksgiving week and I wanted to share it in the Warren Report. This is the first piece of narrative content I have directed professionally, and it has been an absolute blast.MWhen it came time to hire a team on our incredibly short deadline, I turned straight to the film school. Most of the crew is film school faculty and alumni, and I couldn't be prouder of what they accomplished. We were able to create this fully animated film in just over four weeks, which still blows my mind. Here are the credits for this amazing team:
Written and Directed by
Austin Baur
Executive Producers
Frank Patterson
Craig Heyl
Hannah Mungo
Producers
Austin Baur
Brittany Stone
Production Designer and CG Generalist
Jason Maurer (Film School Digital Animation Faculty)
Animation Supervisor
Ken Robkin (Film School Digital Animation Faculty)
Animators
Savannah Berube (BFA ADA 19)
Joshua DeVaughn (BFA ADA 20)
Sound Designer and Re-recording Mixer
Dustin Cawood (Film School Sound Faculty)
Original Music by
Brianna Rhodes
Pipeline Technical Director and CG Generalist
Turner Sinopoli (BFA ADA 16)

You can watch the film here: https://youtu.be/6fFrSKsHa00<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/6fFrSKsHa00__;!!PhOWcWs!iRYfSsJvMO-YyqfcLQ7TIYLmZOSSDcWdmU2Ncxa-T1B31WjzXbb3YqImc8lYfrY$>
We have five more episodes on the way!

From Iman Zawahry (MFA 08) “Just wanted to send over this article I wrote for The Wrap "Is Hollywood Ready For Muslim Women Lead" . https://www.thewrap.com/is-hollywood-ready-for-muslim-women-leads-iman-zawahry/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.thewrap.com/is-hollywood-ready-for-muslim-women-leads-iman-zawahry/__;!!PhOWcWs!ms0XOJJGBVea4tkm2ufFiO21fLh_ip5aNjcRS3sp_8lgPM-AGwq2CqbAeJ8boCs$>
I've completed my feature film Americanish which is the first the first female rom-com made by Muslim women about Muslim women hoping to premiere in 2021. Paul Seetachitt is producer, Melanie Mascioli helped with costume and Julie Hotz was camera operator and did many other things over the years as well. Will update on premiere soon!”

From Clara Diez (BFA 14) “After spending 4 years as a production designer in LA and a year as a coordinator in Miami, I have finally made the transition into animation! I am moving to Atlanta in 2 weeks, where I will be starting a render wrangler position at Bento Box!”

From Jamie Kassler (MFA 11) “I've been serving as a filmmaking missionary in Japan for the past 3 years, and about to shoot the final episode in a narrative short film series called "The Love 愛 Project<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.whatislove.jp__;!!PhOWcWs!lxS_DmW54aiSHyDOx20GZJz-tqE_B2QE5nt-wRyFzqMVqv76J9vAA-HhyGiNCxfnEwQ$>” ( www.whatislove.jp<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.whatislove.jp__;!!PhOWcWs!lxS_DmW54aiSHyDOx20GZJz-tqE_B2QE5nt-wRyFzqMVqv76J9vAA-HhyGiNCxfnEwQ$> ). Each film expresses a theme of love from the Bible (1 Corinthians 13), using various genres and styles, and are told without dialogue. The first 4 films in the series have participated in film festivals in over 18 nations, and the recent 3 films are still in post. The crew and actors all participate as volunteers, ranging from inexperienced to professionals. We could use some funding for the last film (mostly for our location rental), and we have a GoFundMe<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.gofundme.com/f/love-project-film__;!!PhOWcWs!lxS_DmW54aiSHyDOx20GZJz-tqE_B2QE5nt-wRyFzqMVqv76J9vAA-HhyGiNQZ1NfyU$> to help out ( https://www.gofundme.com/f/love-project-film<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.gofundme.com/f/love-project-film__;!!PhOWcWs!lxS_DmW54aiSHyDOx20GZJz-tqE_B2QE5nt-wRyFzqMVqv76J9vAA-HhyGiNQZ1NfyU$> ) - any amount friends and film school alumni can contribute would be so helpful, to help us shoot the final film on Dec 5 & 6, this weekend! Thank you all for being a part of it!  Side note: Talented Alum Dylan Chase (BFA ADA 2015) also joined our crew during his trip to Japan - epic! Thank you so much Dylan!”

From Carissa Dorson (BFA 11) “I am getting my first photo book published!  It's called "Conversations with Dad," and it is a book of photos sent back and forth between me and my dad, as a way to stay connected from opposite sides of the country.  The book is being published by Kehrer Verlag, and I am doing pre-orders through a Kickstarter.  Check it out here to learn more and get your own copy of the book!  I'd really appreciate the support!  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/conversationswithdad/conversations-with-dad/

From April Billingsley (BFA 06) “A couple years ago I started learning cosmetic chemistry as a hobby so I could make my own skin care. It turned out it was really helping everyone I gave it to, so my business partner (fellow FSU Alum, Valerie Hinkle) and I made it into a real thing! Our company, BeLIFTED Botanicals<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.beliftedbotanicals.com__;!!PhOWcWs!jX5kq7i3YzGCAk_mdOWF5fFZmTP1JUmzQbAgX9tg4ofip6xOioEjStQH14EmF1I$> just launched a couple days ago. We offer eco-friendly, luxury CBD skin care. Your skin will love it! You can read the press release here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.prweb.com/releases/new_women_owned_clean_beauty_brand_remaking_the_skincare_game_with_cbd_products_unlike_any_other/prweb17574566.htm__;!!PhOWcWs!jX5kq7i3YzGCAk_mdOWF5fFZmTP1JUmzQbAgX9tg4ofip6xOioEjStQHkbIlHx0$>. Thank you so much and I hope you are doing well!”

Sesame Workshop is now taking applications for its 5th Annual Writers’ Room<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sesamewritersroom.org/__;!!PhOWcWs!nTxsxBZps1kWlW39GEC74HmHbELOw6Olyo9wG9FkdYSbBvFP4a7e5j8R6XmvQw$>, a fellowship program for underrepresented writers in children’s media. Since 2017, our writing fellows have gone on to write for Sesame Street and various programs at Nickelodeon, Netflix, Disney, DreamWorks, and more! Find out more here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sesamewritersroom.org/__;!!PhOWcWs!nTxsxBZps1kWlW39GEC74HmHbELOw6Olyo9wG9FkdYSbBvFP4a7e5j8R6XmvQw$>, and please spread the word—we’re taking applications until January 8, 2021!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – December 3, 2020

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Sicily Independent Film Awards in Italy on December 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.sicilyindependentfilmawards.com/.

Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) and White Picket Fence (BFA F3 2020 Summer Schantz) were selected for screening at the Culver City Film Festival in Los Angeles, December 4-11. For more information about this festival, go to http://culvercityfilmfestival.com/.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Toronto Black Film Festival, February 10-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.torontoblackfilm.com<http://www.torontoblackfilm.com>.

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Cift Festival of Toronto on January 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://cyrusmonthlyfestival.com/.

Five Minutes (MFA QD2 2020 Pei-Yu Lai), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) and Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) were selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

Aquaphobic (BFA F3 2019 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening in the ASIFAC’20 online animation festival taking place at the end of the year. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.asifa-south.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingue Li/Jonas Schubach), which won an award in a monthly edition of the ARFF Paris competition, is now a finalist for the monthly ARFF International Online Competition to be held in December. For more information about this series of competitions, go to https://aroundfilms.com/.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival, December 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org.

Joining the Birds (BFA Thesis 2020 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York, December 4-10. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.femalevoicesrock.com/.

Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Another Hole in the Head film festival in San Francisco, December 11-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfindie.com<http://www.sfindie.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, which will be online, December 2 – January 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

La’Diablesse Curse (MFA Thesis 2020 Jared Prima) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Director at the Rollywood International Film Festival in Port of Spain, Trinidad, January 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/ROLLYW00D/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) is a Semi-Finalist in the North American Chinese Directors Short Film Tour, October 15 – December 31. For more information about this tour, go to http://shortfilmtour.org.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival in Florida, January 11-17. For more information about this festival, go https://www.dunedininternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) is a Semi-Finalist in the monthly arm of the Phoenix International Short Film Festival (which takes place in Maple, Ontario, not Arizona), February 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to phoenixshortfestival.com.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) were selected for screening at the inaugural Atlanta Student Film Festival, March 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlstudentfilmfest.com<http://www.atlstudentfilmfest.com>.

Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City, March 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfreeway.com/BattleofFilmSchoolsNYC.

Loc’d Out (MFA D2 2019 Amanda Jean-Mary) was selected for screening at the Women of African Descent Film Festival in Brooklyn, on May 1, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.brooklynartscouncil.org/accounts/posts/view/5591.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.