[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.27.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:21:43 EDT 2020

Bradley Maurer (BFA 09) – “I’ve been promoted! I am the Production Coordinator for Season 17 of Grey’s Anatomy. Last year I was the Assistant Coordinator but my boss was promoted to Production Supervisor and I’m riding her coattails! I started in the Shonda Rhimes bubble 7 years ago as a Set PA  on Grey’s and I've been lucky to work and move up here. We have returned to our lot and are attempting to start a new season during this pandemic. We’ll see how it goes!”

From Armando Salas (MFA 02) “Looking so sublet a 2 bedroom 2 bath home in Long Island for two months starting around September 13. If anyone has any leads please DM me. ARMANDO SALAS”

From Adam Schlachter (BFA 97) "And The Brave Shall Rise" will close out an amazing festival year at Dances With Films, to premiere on Monday, August 31, @ 2:45 P.M. (Pacific Time), encore on Thursday, September 3, @ 6:30 P.M. (Pacific Time) with a Q&A with Florida State Representative Cindy Polo and Adam Schlachter.  Tickets:  https://dwfla.com/2020/movies/and-the-brave-shall-rise/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/dwfla.com/2020/movies/and-the-brave-shall-rise/__;!!PhOWcWs!j8OgHzFv8SovKrq3ygJ95lyaTgv7v6qEbZFigIqYc7_xI7ouuuq8mM4fBeqYrriuaN4$>  Logline:  In the wake of the high school shootings in Parkland, Florida, concerned citizens travel by bus to the State Capitol to debate legislators about an urgent issue: Gun Reform. One of them, a stay-at-home mom, runs for office in honor of her son....  Academy Award Qualification - Documentary (Short Subject).

From Erin Alicia Ferraro-Selcaggio (BFA 97) “I still live in Los Angeles, and currently work as a Creative Content Producer at an agency called Mob Scene. I've been with them for almost 7 years now (which is a little crazy when I think about it) - but it's been a wonderful experience. I've been able to work on some amazing projects - one of my favorites still being the Netflix show "The Haunting of Hill House"... along with producing content for film and tv, I do a LOT of productions and consider myself one of the top line producers at our company. Now with the current pandemic, we've had to pivot and find ways to capture content without putting anyone at risk - we've been doing a lot of virtual recording and "contact free" production... it's been tough, but it's working. And we're safe, which is the most important thing.  My passion is rock climbing -  I actually started climbing at FSU (shocking, since there are no rocks to be found there)... took a long hiatus after college and got back into it in 2008 - now I do my best to climb at least once a week. And yes, I am afraid of heights... hahaha... I don't let people use that as an excuse not to try it!”

Film School caps, complete with our new logo are now available at The Clothesline located at 1369 E. Lafayette Street (next to Vertigo Burgers and Namaste Yoga) 850-877-9171<tel:8508779171>  They may be ordered one by one but there is a break in price for larger orders.  The caps only come in black.  1 cap = $20.41    12  = $18.21 ea  More price breaks on larger orders, ie., 144 for $12.74.   Can only be ordered by phone.    Order yours now!

From Spencer Frankeberger (MFA 15) “Just wanted to share that I directed a new short for John D'Aquino's Young Actors Workshop first Virtual Camp Hollywood called "Dream Catchers" -- I was also the story editor for this one and included a couple of musical theatre jokes.  Last year, I did a fantasy comedy short about LARPers written by Jack Thomas (who wrote and story edited The Fairly Oddparents and EP's The Replacements), and this is my 2020-directed short: https://vimeo.com/443937218<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vimeo.com/443937218__;!!PhOWcWs!mb2ohHOySzarzyqzuDQSkFRYPDwKkETRv34sacLywl0-FIJxfIkWHQxumjYntUU$>  And the IMDB link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12850100/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.imdb.com/title/tt12850100/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1__;!!PhOWcWs!mb2ohHOySzarzyqzuDQSkFRYPDwKkETRv34sacLywl0-FIJxfIkWHQxuM_zQ5hI$>
What's awesome is that the owner and one of the acting coaches are both FSU alums as well from the theatre department!”

From Mary Jeans (MFA 16) “Editing a documentary is a bizzare thing. 60+ hours of footage is dropped into my lap and over the course of months, I get to intimately know people I've never met in my life. I am given the honor and huge responsibility of telling their personal story honestly through my eyes.  Mark and Jordan made me laugh, cry, curse their names, and come to love the very real and beautiful people they are. And after so many months of building up and tearing down, all the frustrations and successes, I'm very happy to be able to share this story of partnership and love with the world. Free As Can Be is screening free online for the Arc'teryx Climbing Academy.It's only available this week (Aug 24-28), so make sure to catch it! Also join us for a Q&A with the cast and crew of the film this Friday Aug 28th at 2PM MST. Mark Hudon, Jordan Cannon, Samuel Crossley, and I will be speaking, moderated by Jonathan Siegrist. Follow this link (https://bit.ly/2Yygchf<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2Yygchf%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1qBxB3EuVShvPqS6AQ3Fo16P4H1bzGBLvY9ajWScn68ze5qLqeOP9aOyk&h=AT2375styD7tuLhYub8FVTC1L4pHsFWJQ6DVIiVNJQS4Z7bbUHTnkadXXHg47qVPTXBcXY3Lso7K9bznuCi3zhNw7KgYP4DyZxJJR2DoTtUpTlCosXspoSSpda8ndIifjToh_dLr5JSVjMbay_NhzHg&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5B0%5D=AT3dLCrJnetFrzHU1BmzuFg85aOR_trkM0_MQ4eOCnt0pR0FiI0tngNtO31fvkLMg4ZVHJd9Ry_9-rQsUHyTdznVY13je6AJCX7c4BH8JIWk9UUNOjYub42UtJ7HJiWIZTLIKmtGOLi31y7EtDNLww>) to register for our Q&A so you can ask all the silliest questions!
Watch the film here: https://vimeo.com/449058597<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F449058597%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1kY5zOQySG0eoHga9IUxd0eNf1CIcN7FzAoJxWwHsFwpU3EAFJTC0VPpQ&h=AT3tX-6_ZY0wtZhOfWATkPZc_dK2kf_00Ttvg9B18t7qphczSQc8AmTxQNqHXNQMQSrf3vLiM-6s7VIcJbgbrThTJu5poKt2f4qVr6F66466nCEVpMa9FeNmQRWfcMth3SM-IyAfflKnLJ_oJ7Jz2ZA&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5B0%5D=AT3dLCrJnetFrzHU1BmzuFg85aOR_trkM0_MQ4eOCnt0pR0FiI0tngNtO31fvkLMg4ZVHJd9Ry_9-rQsUHyTdznVY13je6AJCX7c4BH8JIWk9UUNOjYub42UtJ7HJiWIZTLIKmtGOLi31y7EtDNLww>

From Andrew Landreville (BFA ADA 19)  “Prior to COVID I was starting to work in the electric department while still also PAing some shoots. So far most of my paid work has been in the commercial world but I have also worked on a several short films since moving up here. I had the opportunity to be the gaffer for a couple commercials and I will be returning to work sometime this month gaffing another ad.  Luckily I was able to get enough work before the pandemic to qualify for unemployment so I’ve been able to weather this lack of work. I’ve been keeping busy learning how to work on bicycles and studying up on how to be a better electrician once work resumes.

I’m trying to share information from alums on how they have been staying busy and creative during this time.  If you have something you’d be willing to share, please let me know.   Here’s another one:

From Andrew Walton (BFA 19) : “I was and still am employed at Big Lazy Panda VFX (They do vfx for a plethora of Netflix/Amazon shows) as of January 6th, although due to Covid, all employees of the company are furloughed, I did a boost of freelance VFX gigs (some for a festival, some for a twitch streamer who just got a big show, but signed an NDA so I can't elaborate, music videos, etc.)  to help support me financially for a few months and am filing for unemployment soon (eligible since I am furloughed and to be out of freelance work). I go fishing thrice weekly, as it is a large part of my life, and provides sufficient food for several meals a week. I caught a King Mackerel with approx. 27lbs. of meat on it last month! Generally it's not that exciting though. I did teach two other alum how to fish and they join me weekly (we adhere to the social distancing guideline still though.

I have picked up a new instrument, intended for Irish folk music (my heritage) called a 30 button C/G Anglo Concertina, which looks like an accordion.  I have delved into more of my hobbies including woodworking and leatherworking and metalworking; I made a wooden tankard set to drink from for my home, and used my sister in-law's mother's beeswax (she's a beekeeper) to seal the wood. I entered into and won (it's officially licensed now) a competition for fan-made merchandising for a video game (T-shirts, mousepads, bags, etc.) with a design I made, and I earn commissions on all sales, it's a nice passive income!
I adopted a kitten at 6 weeks old (she's 10 weeks now), very petite and super friendly, and a calico domestic mediumhair, named "Stevie" after Stevie Nicks. My thesis made it into a small few festivals although they were online only, which was a bummer as it was my first and only time submitting to festivals, but oh well. I am saving up to purchase a liveaboard sailboat, as I am quite a nautically-minded individual, and don't like the city life. It will be a slow process and getting a liveaboard slip in Los Angeles is tricky but doable, albeit with a long wait list.”

From Clinton Cornwell (MFA 13) “Our DP had to unexpectedly step away from the project so looking for a new DP for horror feature film shooting roughly 10 days between September 4th - 22nd in Los Angeles area. Unpaid but offering ownership stake in film. If interested email clintonjcornwell at gmail.com<mailto:clintonjcornwell at gmail.com>.”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 27, 2020

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the SCAD Savannah Film Festival, October 24-31. For more information about this festival, go to https://filmfest.scad.edu/.

The Reason Caroline Hates Eggs (MFA QD2 2020 Brook Lee) was selected for screening at Cinematic Panic in Memphis, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.pianomanpictures.com/cinematicpanic/.

The Birthright (MFA D2 2019 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Film Festival in Lilburn, Georgia on October 12. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Hollywood First-Time Filmmaker Showcase, August 30 – September 6. For more information about this festival, go to liftoff.network.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the SENE Film, Music and Arts Festival in Providence, Rhode Island, October 13-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.senefest.com.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest: the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, August 20-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org>.

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 24-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com>.

The Reason Caroline Hates Eggs (MFA QD2 2020 Brook Lee) was selected for screening at the American Golden Picture International Film Festival in Jacksonville August 1-31. For more information about this festival, go to https://americangoldenpictureiff.com/.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Slam, hosted by the Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida in mid-September. For more information about this festival, go to enzian.org.

Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at the DC Black Film Festival, September 14-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.dcbff.org<http://www.dcbff.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas/Lizzie Perrin WR) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival throughout the month of September (live and streamed). For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org<http://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) was selected for screening at the Buskopolis Festival of Cinematic Oddities in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.buskopolisfilms.com/OddityFestival<http://www.buskopolisfilms.com/OddityFestival>.

All the Young Dudes was selected for screening at Reeling: the Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival, September 24 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelingfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelingfilmfestival.org>.

Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 29 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 2-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://tiglff.com.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase, October 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fwindie.com/<http://www.fwindie.com/>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 9-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas Dir/Shuaihua Liu,DP) is a finalist in the inaugural Los Angeles Cinematography Awards to be held October 23rd. For more information about this competition, go to http://losangeles.cawards.org/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu), Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker/Perry Cox), Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the (Virtual) Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 6-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com>.

Aquaphobic (BFA F3 2019 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening in the ASIFAC’20 online animation festival taking place at the end of the year. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.asifa-south.com/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.