[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.21.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Aug 21 13:16:16 EDT 2020

So next week classes resume for the Film School, with new student orientation and Reb’s faculty conference going on this week.   Reb, Andrew and Tony, with a lot of help from faculty and staff, are trying to create a bit of a  Film School bubble, ie using one entrance/exit to the building that’s not used by other building offices; doing most class production projects in house or at Critchfield, following COVID protocols (combination of University/Industry).  Most lecture/writing classes will be held in Zoomland.   Trying to create a safe environment to make movies is a huge challenge but everyone is stepping up to make this a really positive experience for all.

From  Arturo Yepez (MFA 07) “I am super happy to share with you the official trailer of my first YouTube Original series as a producer and CEO of Touché Films in Ecuador. This is the first series for an international platform made in Ecuador by a local crew and creative team. The series will be launched September 2nd in our channel enchufe.tv<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/enchufe.tv__;!!PhOWcWs!gPqOEoDwMG3FckjP6OkEu4kIWSqusXdQkKm0n2ckXs9LPbyFgDcG6h9f0FDs4lY$>, and it will be fully subtitled to English for any of you who wants to watch it. Here is the link of the trailer. https://youtu.be/sRVJ9rEqiAQ<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/sRVJ9rEqiAQ__;!!PhOWcWs!gPqOEoDwMG3FckjP6OkEu4kIWSqusXdQkKm0n2ckXs9LPbyFgDcG6h9fDDp3y30$>  Log line:   Iria, a young non-playable character of a 16-bit role play video game, rebels against her programming when a glitch kills the hero and her best friend. Now she will have to become the heroine in order to save her world.”

From Kate Emery (MFA10) “Jenji Kohan's Teenage Bounty Hunters dropped on Netflix this week! As graphic designer, my artwork shapes the worlds of a private Christian academy, a bounty hunter's office, and the frozen yogurt shop he uses as Bounty Hunter HQ. In addition to the comic shenanigans, it was a real treat to create graphics for a show set in Atlanta. Here's hoping for a Season 2!”

From Rebecca Tickell (Josh Tickell MFA 02) “I have been waiting for 7 years to say this:  The film Kiss the Ground that Josh and I have been directing/producing (for what seems like a very long time!) is premiering on Netflix on Sept 22nd. I can’t wait to share this film with you and the world.Please watch the trailer and share widely! Together we can be the cure for climate change. https://kissthegroundmovie.com/?fbclid=IwAR3DZuNT7poKCb8wHb6ecwRi0fWPUECMMe-F_m0YUv8wzbMt9tJpWoyBdnk

From Jeffrey Lerner (MFA 94) “This is a bunch of bull! Well, mechanical bull that is. It was great to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Urban Cowboy with the legendary Mickey Gilley at his namesake theater in Branson, MO before COVID invaded. Mickey shared great memories about his world famous bar, meeting John Travolta, shooting the film, and what the Urban Cowboy did for his career. Thank you John Webb (MFA 96)  for your boot scooting edit and the folks at Paramount Home Entertainment for including me on this ride!”

From Meg Scott Cain (MFA 15) “I'm working part time just teaching Production Design I and II and am on staff thanks to Sara Thomason recommending I apply ('nee Corkern MFA '16, who worked on my thesis! Very happy to be with a friend again :)

From Brian Guitierrez (MFA 10) “Any New Yorkers interested in exploring part-time teaching this fall? Well, I have a direct connection to a high school principal looking for a filmmaking professional and I can't think of anyone better than FSU alums. This is an intro to filmmaking/storytelling class, two sections, a few times a week. It's an excellent opportunity to get teaching experience and as a benefit, I am happy to mentor any candidates who are interested but perhaps lack the teaching experience. If you are interested, please email me at aramayofilms at gmail.com<mailto:aramayofilms at gmail.com> for more information. Thank you and stay safe out there!"

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 20, 2020

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) was selected for screening at the (Virtual) Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 6-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com>.

Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) was selected for screening at the Buskopolis Festival of Cinematic Oddities in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.buskopolisfilms.com/OddityFestival<http://www.buskopolisfilms.com/OddityFestival>.

Imani’s Skin (BFA Thesis 2019 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 29 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org>.
The Reason Caroline Hates Eggs (MFA QD2 2020 Brook Lee) was selected for screening at the American Golden Picture International Film Festival in Jacksonville August 1-31. For more information about this festival, go to https://americangoldenpictureiff.com/.
Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 13-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.indyfilmfest.org<http://www.indyfilmfest.org>.
Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at the DC Black Film Festival, September 14-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.dcbff.org<http://www.dcbff.org>.
Move (BFA Thesis 2020 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, September 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com.
The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening in an online Lift-Off competition called First-Time Filmmaker Sessions, and, apparently, for the August 16 Lift-Off Session. For more information about these events, go to https://liftoff.network/.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.
Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest: the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, August 20-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org>.
Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 24-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com>.
Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.
The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Slam, hosted by the Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida in mid-September. For more information about this festival, go to enzian.org.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas/Lizzie Perrin WR) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival throughout the month of September (live and streamed). For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org<http://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org>.
A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.
All the Young Dudes was selected for screening at Reeling: the Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival, September 24 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelingfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelingfilmfestival.org>.
All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, October 2-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://tiglff.com.
Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.
Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase, October 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fwindie.com/<http://www.fwindie.com/>.
The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 9-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.
All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas Dir/Shuaihua Liu,DP) is a finalist in the inaugural Los Angeles Cinematography Awards to be held October 23rd. For more information about this competition, go to http://losangeles.cawards.org/.
All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dad Jokes (BFA Thesis 2020 Evan Barber), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena), Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu), Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), Quarantined (BFA Documentary 2020 Aidan Baker/Perry Cox) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the (Virtual) Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 6-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com<http://www.fliff.com>.
Aquaphobic (BFA F3 2019 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening in the ASIFAC’20 online animation festival taking place at the end of the year. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.asifa-south.com/.
Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.
Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.
The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.