[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.6.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 6 12:53:05 EDT 2020

Last weekend our MFA 2020 students graduated!  We had a great graduation and a virtual Keylight.  Thanks to all that made it happen and  huge thanks to all our alums who volunteered their time to work remotely with our students.  We appreciate you all so much.
Several awards were given out – big thanks to the benefactors and congratulations to the awardees:
The Turnbull Professionalism Award- ($1,200)- Lucas Muratore
Powerhouse Creative Space Award- ($1,500 & 6 months in powerhouse desk)- Adrienne (Annie) Shifflette
The Matthew Lopez Screenwriting Award- ($2,500)-Samuel Maxwell
The Pathfinder Award- ($2,500)  Jared Prima

Another Emmy Nomination:  From Tiara Olson (BFA 18) “I wasn’t directly nominated but “The Politician” title sequence, which I was the Key Grip on, has been nominated for an Emmy in “Outstanding Main Title Design”. I didn’t even know this was a category before we were nominated but I am extremely proud of the work we did on it.   Also, I recently joined local 80, the Motion Picture Grip Union.”

From Eric Jaffe (BFA 13) “"So, about a year ago, I wrote and produced a little horror short called PAKOK. The plan was to (hopefully) get into some festivals and travel with the film in 2020. Due to COVID—and a few of you who still refuse to wear masks—that didn't happen. Thankfully, things are looking up. I'm super excited to announce that our short is premiering in Utah for FilmQuest 2020. Thank you so much to everyone who worked on the project, including director Cody Holland (BFA 2013), cinematographer Jakub Kawalec (BFA 2013), gaffer Aaron Pagniano (BFA 2012), best boy Justin Sadler (BFA 2015), Melisse Sporn (BFA 2014), composer Trae Buddy (FSU College of Music alum) and art director Rachel Leigh Shirley (BFA 2015). I hope we can safely gather soon to enjoy our work on the big screen."

From Billy Hanson (BFA 05) “Got two pieces of great news today. My new script, Vicious Cycle, became a quarterfinalist in the Screencraft Horror Competition, and Tara Price<https://www.facebook.com/taraprice?__tn__=%2CdK-R-R&eid=ARBsEAHj2KlU9mwi_Zjsi4W2gU8e9BZaCJGQ5uL1MnhbPl7GIg7tgQglxrI5w-K2pVaGyG9v3Ta38hBS&fref=mentions>’s short film Tea Time (which I produced) is an official selection for FilmQuest 2020!

From Devon Huber (BFA 08) “Welp, add me to the list of PAs who qualified during a national pandemic!  this is what I’ve been working towards for the past four years in Atlanta. What I left everything and everyone I knew behind for. It’s just a stepping stone, but I am now qualified to accept work as an assistant Director. (4 yearsssssss)”

From Matt Clegg (BFA 11) “After two years of traveling from job to job without a home base, I’m happy to be settling in Atlanta for the time being. A part of my heart will always be in NYC with all the great friends and alumni there and I’m hoping to be up as often as I can once the world’s returned to normal. But I’m also looking forward to connecting with the FSU film community down here in the southeast. Currently I'm in Oklahoma prepping for a feature film to be shot in August and September. It’s been a strange prep with the new precautions and protocols but I’m optimistic we’ll make it through as safety has been paramount to everyone involved. So far, it’s been a note of optimism in the current strange world of film production.”

IFP Announces Project Forum Slate for 42nd IFP Week.   Two projects involved alums:

Late Bloomers directed by Lisa Steen, written by Anna Greenfield, and produced by Alexandra Barreto and Taylor Feltner (BFA 04).   When a self-absorbed millennial befriends an 80-year-old polish woman, she helps her get a grip on life and come to terms with her mother’s Alzheimers

Saca tu Lengua (Stick Out Your Tongue) written and directed by Melina Valdez (BFA 17), produced by Paula Andrea Gonzalez-Nasser (BFA 17) . Luciana and her grieving, widowed mother travel to confront their in-laws, who have stolen valuable possessions willed to them by Luciana’s late step-father.

From Mike Felker (BFA 10) “This is a huge deal: our short film "Would You Like To Try Again?” finally premiered online for everyone to see.  You can watch it right now on the super cool short film platform, Omeleto, http://omeleto.com/253842/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/omeleto.com/253842/__;!!PhOWcWs!mUkofiTG_C31BcoyMBD1bkogcBWhmrPwKQQa-nmBCjirI2gc_fSv8sbuhS_OxIU$> I honestly couldn't be happier about how everything turned out. Of course, if you are able to spare 10 minutes to watch the film  that would mean the world to us.  A lot of love from a very passionate cast and crew was put into this film and the first two days of viewership are the most important to the video’s longevity.  So please watch, like, and share. Thank you so much to the entire cast and crew for making this movie so incredibly special: Producer Shane Spiegel (BFA 11), Director of Photography Carissa Dorson (BFA 11), Production Designer Caitlin Williams (BFA 10), Editor Rebeca Marques (BFA 10), Costume Designer Christopher Oroza  (BFA 10), Composer Logan Rees  (BFA 11), 1st AD Lily Ziegler  (BFA 17), Gaffer Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) and Colorist Brian Barrow (BFA 09). Thank you and enjoy!

From Grace Marrero (BFA 17) “Hello FSU fam! After a bit of a hiatus to heal after my diagnosis with Systemic Lupus, I decided to combine my love for film and animals and officially launch my new YouTube channel/website, Honestbee By G. Here, I review, test, and inform all about cruelty-free and eco friendly alternatives in the beauty, skincare, wellness, fashion, and lifestyle worlds, so there is a little something for everyone. I also partnered with my local wildlife sanctuary (from my FSU Doc) to have animal ambassadors join me for some of the videos.  I greatly appreciate if anyone is able to like, subscribe, and share with friends/family. Big thanks to Brooke Zbyniewski (BFA 17) who helped me with this launch. For additional information, please visit my website at www.honestbeebyg.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.honestbeebyg.com__;!!PhOWcWs!gietjFy961rDn9FOxqMQwUb1elRvCY_jbcH1IpAIjTL10gnv1um1pF2d_TU1Y74$>, or message me directly. Thanks and hope everyone is well and safe!
YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClB7uVRddc5lgg0-1Ymv6QA?view_as=subscriber<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/channel/UClB7uVRddc5lgg0-1Ymv6QA?view_as=subscriber__;!!PhOWcWs!gietjFy961rDn9FOxqMQwUb1elRvCY_jbcH1IpAIjTL10gnv1um1pF2dSc4iZ1Q$>

From Mary Jeanes (MFA 16) “I'm so thrilled to share the trailer for a film I've been pouring my heart into editing with director @samuelcrossley since the beginning of the year. A goofy and heartwarming film about an "odd couple" of climbing -- When a young climber infatuated with climbing history meets an old legend, he commits to helping him accomplish his life-long goal of free climbing El Capitan. ⠀Free as Can Be premiers online at 4pm MST on August 24th during the @Arcteryx Climbing Academy and runs free-to-watch for 5 days. Also make sure to tune in at 2pm MST on August 28th for a Live Q&A with Sam the director, Mark and Jordan (@cannonjtc) from the film, and myself! ⠀ (Now we just have to just finish up editing this thing!)”

From Charlie Moss (BFA 08) “The Right Stuff miniseries will be streaming soon on Disney+.  I provided the show with a vintage aircraft during filming last fall and am happy to see the airplane is featured in some of the advertisements as well as the show itself.”

From Richard Travis (MFA  91) “I'm not trying to keep up with the latest news, but in case no one else has reported it to you, Bob Mondello, NPR movie critic, gave a great review on today's (Friday, July 31) All Things Considered for Amy Siemetz's newest film, "She Dies Tomorrow". Amy, of course, is an FSU alum and acting participant in numerous Film School projects.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.npr.org/2020/07/31/897836653/movie-she-dies-tomorrow-reviewed__;!!PhOWcWs!kNz-ple3kxRVBLMq1mv5fVDJSabzniGDBd7h-iD_VVCUr3v0dDMuHPY7yTnAE60$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.npr.org/2020/07/31/897836653/movie-she-dies-tomorrow-reviewed__;!!PhOWcWs!kNz-ple3kxRVBLMq1mv5fVDJSabzniGDBd7h-iD_VVCUr3v0dDMuHPY7yTnAE60$>   Note:  Jason Benson and Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08) produced, Gates Bradley (BFA 02) co-produced, Brett Allen Smith (BFA 09)  did the still photography and Greg O’Bryant (MFA 04) was an editorial consultant.

From Michael Head (MFA Writing 17) “Hello all! I have a friend working with www.endcoronavirus.org<http://www.endcoronavirus.org> ask me for help with a documentary idea. They want to put together a 45-min video from interviews with patients. Ideally I think they need a producer to coordinate the interviews (many of which will be international) and an editor who can navigate those Skype/Zoom interviews to piece everything together. They are working on a volunteer basis but I know there are funding opportunities out there for Covid docs (something else a producer could look into) so it's possible it could turn into a paying gig. Either way, if you have the skill and talent to help end this pandemic I hope you'll reach out!
Contacts: Derrick VanGennep
vangennep at g.harvard.edu<mailto:vangennep at g.harvard.edu>
Dr. Jeremy S. Rossman
jeremy at researchaidnetworks.org<mailto:jeremy at researchaidnetworks.org>

From Anna Margarita Albelo (FSU BA 93/99) “I'll be directing Riverdale's Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl Blossom) in a high school dark comedy thriller called, "Clare at 16" about a teen girl's coming of age as a serial killer written by American Psycho scribe, Guinevere Turner. We're hopefully shooting in September 2020, pandemic permitting, in New Mexico thanks to their tax incentive. If there are any FSU alums/New Mexico based/qualifying crew members, would love for them to reach out for production.
I'm also looking for comedy writers, preferably Cuban American, WOC/POC, or Miami natives interested in working as a writer's assistant or collaborator on projects in development for series and film. Comedy universe reference: Chewing Gum, Difficult People, Pen15, and dramedies Master of None, Transparent, Fleabag.
My contact email:
Anna Margarita Albelo: TeamPrep10 at gmail.com<mailto:TeamPrep10 at gmail.com>   - Write FSU alum in email subject
IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.imdb.com/name/nm1779802/__;!!PhOWcWs!nWmX8xjXtr_hFAHtorQVclE_ECVKyDXIo6yx_O2TPj1gOr2BgjirTFJNIjwvb1k$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 6, 2020

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected as a finalist in the July Lift-Off Sessions, a competition that ends with a screening at Pinewood Studios in the UK. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu/DP Shuaihua Lu) was Best Cinematography, Short Film at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival on the Palos Verdes Penninsula in California, June 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.umfilms.org/.

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 24-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com>.

The Mouse and the Gem (BFA Thesis 2020 Shae Demandt) was selected for screening at the Overmountain Animation Festival in Johnson City, Tennessee, August 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://overmountainanimation.com/.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at Dances with Films in Los Angeles, July 22 – August 7. For more information about this festival, go to www.danceswithfilms.com<http://www.danceswithfilms.com>.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Imagination Lunchbox International Children’s Film Festival in Baltimore on August 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginationlunchbox.com<http://www.imaginationlunchbox.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the BronzeLens Film Festival, August 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/<http://www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com/>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) were selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 13-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/.

Yunior (BFA F3 2019 Francisco Cabrera) was selected for screening at Outfest: the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, August 20-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Slam, hosted by the Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida in mid-September. For more information about this festival, go to enzian.org.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas/Lizzie Perrin WR) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival throughout the month of September (live and streamed). For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org<http://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

All the Young Dudes was selected for screening at Reeling: the Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival, September 24 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelingfilmfestival.org.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Worth Indie Film Showcase, October 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fwindie.com/<http://www.fwindie.com/>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 9-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas Dir/Shuaihua Liu,DP) is a finalist in the inaugural Los Angeles Cinematography Awards to be held October 23rd. For more information about this competition, go to http://losangeles.cawards.org/.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo), The Book of Ramadani (BFA Documentary 2020 Landon Hogue/Pierce Ryan) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in May, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.