[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] FW: [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.30.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 30 20:55:57 EDT 2020

From: WarrenReport <warrenreport-bounces at lists.fsu.edu> on behalf of WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 8:55 PM
To: WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Subject: [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.30.20

Because this year's BFA graduation and screening are being held in the zoomiverse, for the first time we can invite our whole FSU family to attend. If you'd like to witness the live graduation at 5:00pm EST this Saturday, May 2nd, click on this link https://www.youtube.com/user/fsufilm/live (but don't do it before 5:00pm or it'll just take you to our website). If you'd like to attend the live screening, which should start around 6:00pm EST this Saturday (directly after the graduation), it's the same link: https://www.youtube.com/user/fsufilm/live, but again, it won't work before 5:00 on Saturday.

Deadline:  Wes Ball (BFA 02)  To Direct ‘The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August’ For Amblin Partners.  Maze Runner franchise filmmaker Wes Ball is set to direct the Hachette sci-fi Claire North novel The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August for Amblin Partners.  https://deadline.com/2020/04/maze-runner-director-wes-ball-to-direct-first-fifteen-lives-of-harry-august-amblin-1202921057/

Tatiana Bears (BFA 13) "SOCKS ON FIRE wins Tribeca Film Festival Grand Jury Prize for Best Documentary Feature!! So proud of this film and it’s wonderfully talented crew and beautiful cast of characters. Director Bo McGuire quotes Carrie Fisher when he says “take your broken heart and turn it into art” and that’s exactly what he’s done here. This has truly been a labor of love for all of us and a testament to independent filmmaking. This came from the heart, from Bo’s Nanny, and we followed her spirit the whole way. Max Allman (BFA 11)  is co-writer and editor and deftly crafted hours and hours of footage from home video VHS, to handy cam, to the cinematic reenactments and interviews beautifully shot by Matt Clegg with Carly Howard as his camera assistant. We can’t wait until this quarantine is over so that we can celebrate together! ”

And also from Tatiana Bears (BFA 13). “ SUPER EXCITED to announce that Karaoke King is participating in the 2020 Torino Film Lab! So honored to be working on such an amazing project from the great mind of Federica Gianni<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/fedegianni?__tn__=*2CdK-RH-R-R&eid=ARDWbFaEwPrgMWivONw0qtkqrSRANzECcPTKfniOpo17n7yoTVweISk1mmgpKCQfd01zkrYFQnPye1pp&fref=mentions__;JQ!!PhOWcWs!nGY6Y7PmSd7eGKF9dEByE8vjj7fPbnOM8PmMX6spkE8XSZH19BChvarwjfxD6Yg$> and with my producing partner extraordinaire Lara Costa Calzado<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/lara.costacalzado?__tn__=*2CdK-RH-R-R&eid=ARCKBPmHkQvMpar0NbiTi-uM6jOuU06WBIpZCWrTflqT56vhEmcppfJnpm939pXjUPkKbZ6zOXies42t&fref=mentions__;JQ!!PhOWcWs!nGY6Y7PmSd7eGKF9dEByE8vjj7fPbnOM8PmMX6spkE8XSZH19BChvarw9-gqxIk$>! So lucky I get to collaborate with these two on a daily basis and can't wait to meet with the other projects and lab leaders!!

From Madeline Eberhard (BFA 10) “I relocated to Vero Beach, FL from NOLA. I am a member of the Central Region Camera Union IATSE as a digital utility/loader and looking for work anywhere from Atlanta to Miami able to commute. I most recently worked on Claws: TV Series in New Orleans as a digital utility and completed a short film that I wrote, directed, shot, and edited called Gasolina - short film (2020) which can be seen on my Vimeo at www.vimeo.com/memade or https://vimeo.com/379910017”

Over the last weeks our alumni have been fantastic about zooming with various classes to help our students be better prepared for the industry.   Following is an email from Steve Samanan (BFA 94) about his zoom experience in Brenda’s Launch class:  “I had the most amazing time talking to my fellow panelists and the students whose semesters have been decimated by the coronavirus. We talked about how each of us panelists got our first jobs, and what led us down our current paths.  I was shocked, SHOCKED to realize that these students were not yet born when my cohort and I walked the stage in 1994, but they asked good sharp questions and face an uncertain but likely optimistic future.  I feel energized, like, hey, I could go back to film school, that would be awesome!  The students were great.  Best student question, which we all struggled to answer: “What would you recommend we do during the virus shutdown that would improve our skills or our chances of getting a job?”  I think I said something like, “Practice what skills you have" (speaking principally to a prospective Art Department person interested in illustration and graphic design, and alum Ben Fredman (MFA 13) suggested camera students can study YouTube tutorials and look for FAA classes that would certify them to be drone pilots like him.  Lauren Morelli (BFA 08) told her story of going from underwater camera training to Emmy-winning costume designer, and Nikki Smith (BFA ADA 15) talked about her unusual path doing AV work at Disney World.  There was so much more, of course, and I hope it was as rewarding for the students as it was for me.”

Take a look at Kris Eber’s  (BFA 99) Facebook group “Reopening Hollywood,” which he started as a forum for industry professionals to discuss the necessary policies and procedures that may need to be adopted prior to safely returning to work.

From Erich Boettcher (MFA Writing  14) “Captain's log, the year is 2020 and the future as we know it remains uncertain. However, what is certain is that Real Voice LA, Mike DeLay, and my VO coach, Katie Zeiner helped make my VO commercial demo reel a reality. I also want to thank Cindy, (mi amor), my voice over instructors, my family, and my friends who have helped motivate me along the way.  A lot of hours in the booth and practicing at home have lead to this. Onward and upward for my career in VO.  Please visit https://www.iamerichboettcher.com/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.iamerichboettcher.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3mLxZr6Em0TsxDeio8Hz_Lklui4jAelq2-uY1-ieaKwNRpo5BoN8lELLY&h=AT2MXefCkgFPbpbLsn4FlORbTHdpr_JUI1UEB7bbkkhymkME84eMahdgUwRvSLI7SPSvzXv1o52H8fxil1hAtbQdQHf5ArD5PgUcHxQ8HQzPHtM_Q1OPEEpadALYKH8Iy5WKpNjR_L__rUgGdQJT5GE&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5b0%5d=AT3Dlzc22wFSqe3QESWjqrX4ft5sNAy0ZOLcGwB1aDS6wc39ju96VG3M5YKxyiWO1ce2gKNLh-91KMKCac4cOrYnYqFY28eGOSmKBN01bQ_vKxcXNFal5iRuqUPV4s_t9mHNH_fIrAdKHFLE6OK8GA> and click the voice over tab to listen and enjoy.’

Found this on Matt Weiss’ (BFA 97) Facebook page:  “My new special “Stay at Home Comedian” marks my third special collaborating with director/producer/editor extraordinaire, Matthew L. Weiss. Matthew and I first collaborated on “I Did It,” shot at The Creek and The Cave in Long Island City. Next we worked on “Senior Class of Earth” at The Village Underground and now  “Stay at Home Comedian” in my apartment. All three are now on YouTube.  He is a brilliant artist, the consummate craftsman and a very sweet, smart and funny man. He also produces my podcast “A Little Bit Me” and directed/edited “Teachers Lounge,” the web series Hollis James and I co-created. I’m very lucky to call him my creative partner and friend.
We met at a boxing class in Astoria and we’ve been bobbing and weaving ever since. Here’s to many more rounds together (in the same corner)! Thank you, Matthew!”

From Kris Eber (BFA 99) “My days are jam packed and like a lot of folks I’ve had no trouble filling my time.  The added family time has been awesome and we’ve all been really active in Noah’s school work.  Nicole has moved her yoga classes online, which was quickly adopted and has been rewarding (students that have moved out of LA have been able to join, which has been a big added plus).  I’ve been spending my time talking to colleagues all over the business about the impact this will have on our industry, while maintaining a life line on our ABC pilot we postponed due to the shut down.  I also produced a small presentation pilot for ABC that we shot with a crew of two (me and an editor) all from home remotely using Zoom with some great comedians (Ike Barinholtz and Dave Stassen co-created, Sam Richardson, Jason Mantzoukas, Jillian Bell, Will Sasso and John Legend).  It was a real challenge to put together quickly, in this environment, but very rewarding (and funny!).  It'll go to the Network(s) this week and hopefully we’ll get to make more.”

From Charlie Malcolm (MFA 17) Hey there! I'm proud to share with you that I was selected to be a profile in Voyagela's "LA's Most Inspiring Stories" series. I don't know if I have the most inspiring story, but you can read the article and decide for yourself!  http://voyagela.com/interview/meet-charlie-malcolm-nbc-entertainment-glendale

From TS Nowlin (BFA 03) “ This can be a strange business sometimes. Some backstory: Our Name is Adam was a spec I sold to Paramount back in 2012 with Tom Cruise attached to star. Now it has new life with a new star and (apparently) a new title. It probably has very little in common with what I wrote 8 years ago, but still ... strange business.”

From Nikki Groton (BFA11 ) “The virtual Sarasota Film Festival has started and our film is LIVE until Sunday 5/3! For $3.99 you can view our film either through the Sarasota website or their app then vote on it for a potential audience award! As Kelly Bumford (BFA 09)   so beautifully said it "take the time to step out of your quarantine and into the quarantine of a 1950s tenement building under the threat of a biological attack." Thank you everyone!! https://watch.eventive.org/saras…/…/5ea300e101e6f200d56748ba
From Jenn Van Persaud (BFA04) “ I have two shows airing on FOX this month. 24 Hours to Hell & Back: Save Our Town on May 12th at 8PM and Labor of Love (a new dating show) is premiering on May 21st at 9PM.”  Jenn was co-executive producer on both shows.

From Praheme Praphet (MFA 10) “I want to share some positive film news. Praphetic Praduction's first feature film Troop 491: the Adventures of the Muddy Lions is now streaming on Amazon Prime. Check it out!  Our latest short film Stuck is now streaming on Prime also. Once the lockdown is over, we hope to start pre-production with latest feature film Walking Under the Influence.”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – April 30, 2020

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) and Cutie Pa(toot)ie (BFA F1 2019 Jaelyn Ellis) were selected for screening at the Flamingo Film Festival, online version, on April 25th. For more information about this festival, go to www.flamingofilmfest.com.

Just the I.T. Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim) was selected for screening at the Sci-Fi & Fantasy: Genre Lab Presented by Life-Off, online May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

On the Fritz (MFA D2 2019 Cole Harrison) was selected for screening at the Longleaf Film Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina, May 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.longleaffilmfestival.com.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, May 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival in Florida, May 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Cutie Pa(toot)ie (BFA F1 2019 Jaelyn Ellis), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo)  and Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes at a date to be determined, though they’re aiming for late June or early July. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Imagination Lunchbox International Children’s Film Festival in Baltimore on August 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginationlunchbox.com<http://www.imaginationlunchbox.com>.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.