[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 4.16.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 16 11:12:46 EDT 2020

From Dean Reb Braddock:  “I am excited to share with you that Dr. Andrew Syder has been awarded the Graduate Teaching Award. He is one of only eight teachers to be awarded this honor in the whole University. I know very few individuals who are as dedicated to his students as he has been since the day he joined FSUFILM. This is a greatly deserved acknowledgement of his excellent work. Congratulations Andrew!”

IndieWire Live: Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) Will Take Your Questions in Instagram Live Video Interview<https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/barry-jenkins-interview-instagram-live-1202225176/>
The "Moonlight" Oscar winner will join IndieWire's Eric Kohn for a live conversation about his movies past, present, and future.  IndieWire<https://www.indiewire.com/t/indiewire/>’s Instagram<https://www.indiewire.com/t/instagram/> Live interview series will continue this week with Barry Jenkins<https://www.indiewire.com/t/barry-jenkins/>, the Oscar winner behind “Medicine for Melancholy,” “Moonlight,” and “If Beale Street Could Talk.” Jenkins will discuss his career, his quarantine, and more with IndieWire executive editor and chief critic Eric Kohn on IndieWire’s official Instagram page<https://www.instagram.com/indiewire/?hl=en> beginning at 3pm ET on Thursday, April 16. Previous IndieWire Instagram Live sessions have featured interviews with Diego Luna<https://www.indiewire.com/video/diego-luna-narcos-break-star-wars-series-1202224156/>, Ethan Hawke<https://www.indiewire.com/video/ethan-hawke-fourth-before-movie-timeline-1202219134/>, Mark Duplass<https://www.indiewire.com/video/mark-duplass-filmmakers-coronavirus-1202221556/>, and Rose McGowan<https://www.indiewire.com/video/rose-mcgowan-pitches-scream-return-1202222789/>.

From Juan Sebastian Jacome (BFA 06) "For everyone staying home, my latest film CENIZAS (produced by Andrew Hevia BFA06 and Irina Caballero FSU06) is now available for FREE until April 30th. We hope you enjoy it and we wish you a healthy self-quarantine. Here's the linkhttps://vimeo.com/236294572<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vimeo.com/236294572__;!!PhOWcWs!lT0eJyKyvOxclpeR0M2tp3XymTwGfT483EiWnrP-S-p3OFPMG0E-aPVXN0iJFb_loZQ$>. The movie is subtitled."

From Dani Fiodella (MFA Writing  2019).” I am extremely excited to announce that I have officially been signed as a songwriter for a music licensing company, MajMox. The company places music for advertising, television, film, commercials etc. I am thrilled to be working with the company and collaborating with its artists while also working on my next EP.”

From Evan James Houston (BFA 10) “hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy during these strange times. Wanted to let you know my short film LUSH LIFE is screening as a part of MIAMI short FILM FESTIVAL<https://www.facebook.com/MiamiShortFilmFestival/?__tn__=K-RH-R&eid=ARD7gqkk6znG4m4MmQDj6oIjoPwdBE_2D6-_f1CZkLknqIkIrBdL0FTsGYEMb3f0PO7FnRndcb1wWkmf&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARB6cPjae6mnlhEWY-gHhHen6ucYNZ0NMfVWmxFra_0fsw7pOcAXNKObN9ltqOFykNWFmtdZdPbYUTzP-tMLLak8clCzUyEuxTp9oS3AbEbUPHO5btZ2vd8918R9OAa2PGqL3MbIoDhz7-jiwA3TsdslPNL71QwMJXxZtdLKOg8omAYdzNwuBgOkTODqkuWSu_roAy3BdYVCELKyuiKH2ZzYDEq0TxIYyRuTa_d3yyJg_TLd-xJWCKk2KASC1k5AYULgQrBTqLj9tkJdqpVhmmWcs061ELuWphyg_ZIbXtS9CS2Ze0x4wFANIjBdIM1wIK3diXjCufiuBwKNxw-PYb-Jay0x3y0xvIv-IxNWjTww>'s Shorts on the Small Screen series. Stream it online (for free!) this Friday at miamisff.com<http://miamisff.com/?fbclid=IwAR0y3Gq18cLsSThi5cqD0UzMK8yk-oUj0OyTQWDRSYQrO7z6kJYnnA5H3Eg>”

Congratulations to alumni who got a little pick me up during quarantine with scripts showing up in the ScreenCraft  Screenwriting Fellowship Quarterfinalists:  Mithra Alavi (MFA 14) had two scripts:  Accidental Superhero and Arranged; Ulvrik “Wolf” Kraft’s (BFA 04) script was London Chained.

From Dean Reb Braddock to the Film School faculty, staff and students: Sometime today the University will be announcing that summer section C ( the last 6 weeks of summer) will officially be taught remotely. This means that the entire 12-week summer semester will be done remotely. For those of us who have been reserving a sliver of hope that we could get back face-to-face later this summer, this is disappointing. It is not unexpected, however. As most of you know, we have been planning for this eventuality. I am fully confident in all our faculty, staff and students, and your amazing resourcefulness and resilience in facing these challenges. Now that we have certainty over how the summer will go, let’s continue to work together to devise a new approach to our summer curriculum and let’s take advantage of the disruption to create something that we might not have been able to think of otherwise. Hopefully something new and engaging that will give you advantages that you wouldn’t otherwise have had. Be safe and take care!
From Benjamin Wilson (BFA '04) - Hello fellow social distancers!  My family and I hope everyone is staying safe and is mitigating any potential problems the coronavirus has presented both personally and professionally.  However, I did have a timely update; while I've continued my work as Chief Creative Officer with Cornerstone Media in South Florida, we've also been committing quite a bit of time to the launch of our Stock Footage Venture, ClipStock.com.  For those that are unaware, ClipStock (www.clipstock.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.clipstock.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!gppvD_SuT4Tz2r2s8fX4OMcpuYPzwZdq1FJgKRhxSt-ElceE7s-CWxTmFE7JcTs$>) is a new proprietary high-end stock media library where members have no additional fees after sign-up. Once you’re a member, you have “truly unlimited access” to every 6K, 4K, 2k, HD clip for only the membership price. So, if you’re a freelancer, editor, small production company, agency executive or even a current student, it could be a great (and frankly cost-effective) resource for you to use.  I just wanted to make sure anyone who needs access to this resource in the industry has it!  We've been working hard at this while keeping up our usual various media/television projects going, and I hope to see some of you soon once things are returning to normal!  I was recently quoted in some press items regarding the proprietary footage that has been shot or procured that is COVID-19 related (https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/20/04/p15804224/proprietary-stock-footage-library-clipstock-to-offer-free-access-to-covid-19-and-coronavirus-relat<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/20/04/p15804224/proprietary-stock-footage-library-clipstock-to-offer-free-access-to-covid-19-and-coronavirus-relat__;!!PhOWcWs!gppvD_SuT4Tz2r2s8fX4OMcpuYPzwZdq1FJgKRhxSt-ElceE7s-CWxTmpccnY7o$>)  Here's another article from Business Insider regarding the official launch: https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/clipstock-llc-a-premier-all-inclusive-stock-video-platform-to-announce-official-launch-1029083529<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/clipstock-llc-a-premier-all-inclusive-stock-video-platform-to-announce-official-launch-1029083529__;!!PhOWcWs!gppvD_SuT4Tz2r2s8fX4OMcpuYPzwZdq1FJgKRhxSt-ElceE7s-CWxTmvp7W4DY$>
From Francisco Cabrara (BFA 3) Last Sunday was BF3 Evan Barber’s birthday and due to the ongoing pandemic we had to celebrate it through Zoom. This did not stop us from wanting to make it special. I tried to use every favor I could and the power of Twitter to get Taika Waititi (JoJo Rabbit, Hunt For The Wilderpeople) and Evan’s favorite director, to join our Zoom party. And after a couple hours, HE DID! He came in, made some jokes and wished Evan a Happy Birthday. Making this online party one to remember.  Here’s the Twitter Story:https://twitter.com/i/events/1249714342859362304

Tatiana Bears (BFA 13) posted on FB:  “SOCKS ON FIRE included in Indie Wire Tribecca 2020: 12 Movies they're excited about seeing! Been a weird few weeks, but happy things are moving forward and hopefully getting this lovely film to dazzle your eyeballs soon!”    Tatiana was the producer, Matt Clegg (BFA 11) was the cinematographer, and Max Allman  (BFA 13) co-wrote and edited.

Saturday evening John Rito (BFA 94) hosted a zoom quarantine gathering of about 17 BFA alums – very fun to catch up with everyone and I really appreciated the invitation to join in.

This is Benjamin Solovey (BFA 07).   “I've been working in the field of digital restoration for motion pictures and sound since 2012, and have carried out this work for a diverse set of clients, including Synapse Films and Cult Epics. I also fundraised my own independent restorations of Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) and The Atomic Brain (1963) for theatrical and home release (they are currently distributed through Austin's own American Genre Film Archive). In December of 2019, I completed the University of Amsterdam's MA course in Preservation and Presentation of the Moving Image. This allowed me to greatly expand my knowledge about the material characteristics of diverse analog formats throughout their lifetime, as well as what is required of a functioning team that handles, preserves and digitizes them. Lately, I been working (remotely) with Origins Archival, a film scanning and restoration house in Los Angeles specializing in 16mm and narrower gauges, and will be joining their team full time this summer. Our latest collaboration is a 4K HDR restoration of the classic surf movie Morning of the Earth (1971). With its relaxing visuals, playful style, and emphasis on human unity, I couldn't have asked for a nicer film to work on in this necessary time of isolation, and I look forward to sharing the results. I'd be happy to talk with faculty or alumni who might be in need of film scanning or restoration, whether their footage is newly shot or archival. In most cases, I can arrange discounts on 4K film scanning that you won't find anywhere else.  Contact me at bjsolovey at gmail.com

From John Lux, Executive Director of Film Florida.  NOTE:  Some of the links might be useful to you if you are, or are thinking about, filming in FL.  “It’s been a crazy few weeks so I wanted to check in and see how you are doing. We’re continue to do everything we can to gather information and collect relevant data to help everyone in our industry. If you haven’t already checked out the page on our website with the Coronavirus information and updates, CLICK HERE<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/filmflorida.org/news/coronavirus-local-film-commission-updates/__;!!PhOWcWs!ijclWxLu3SV7-2D4AHiSl4jByO-RPoy_Rfhs92uLQ5T9taqre-mz7iYLzG0_tsRo$>. In the meantime, we’re closely monitoring the situation in the hopes that the industry can get back to work (SAFELY!!) as soon as possible. Once that happens, marketing and promoting the industry, the state and our members will be more important than ever. We’re doing a number of things right now to keep the industry on people’s minds and we’ll continue those efforts once we get the “all clear.””

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – April 16, 2020

Cutie Pa(toot)ie (BFA F1 2019 Jaelyn Ellis) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

On the Fritz (MFA D2 2019 Cole Harrison) was selected for screening at the Longleaf Film Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina, May 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.longleaffilmfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Him. (BFA F1 2019 Rose Hoover) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, at a date to be determined. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com.

I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez) was selected for screening at the pop-up Locked In Film Festival – A festival in quarantine, to be held for 3-4 weeks sometime soon. For more information about this online (obviously) festival, go to lockedinfilmfestival.com.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu), No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the DC Asian Pacific American Film Festival (online version), April 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to https://dc-apafilmsociety.squarespace.com.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, May 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival in Florida, May 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) and Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://vbwff.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen) and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes at a date to be determined, though they’re aiming for late June or early July. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jeong) was selected for screening and is a Finalist at the Imagination Lunchbox International Children’s Film Festival in Baltimore on August 8. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginationlunchbox.com<http://www.imaginationlunchbox.com>.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.