[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] FW: Warren Report 3.26.20

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Apr 15 15:53:49 EDT 2020

From: Meryl Warren <mwarren at fsu.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 3:15 PM
To: WarrenReport <warrenreport at lists.fsu.edu>
Subject: Warren Report 3.26.20

From Warren Williams (BFA ADA 15)  “My creative partner, Tom Dever, and I have finally signed a distribution deal and our feature film For The Weekend should be on streaming services within the next few weeks. We wrote, directed and produced the film together, but we wouldn't have been able to complete the film without help from fellow FSU alumni. Zach Hardy (ADA 15) and Jon Lora (ADA 15) worked in multiple on set roles we needed to fill, and they also have small parts in the film. Zach also provided all of the amazing poster art. Kyla Trull Williams (ADA 15) completed all the VFX for the film. We were able to implement a mumblecore aesthetic, a two-camera setup, and largely improvised dialogue in order to film the entire movie in 5 days. The film will be released soon but until then here is a link to the trailer.
For The Weekend - Trailer<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/H99gBFliu00__;!!PhOWcWs!gM2zidEQLEpqEH8F6sN15-mRDE8mQnhsIeF-d5dIyrD8JrxEqEwAanzAlm5oU2_1Lu0$>

Neon<https://deadline.com/tag/neon/> has acquired worldwide rights to She Dies Tomorrow<https://deadline.com/tag/she-dies-tomorrow/>, the apocalyptic existential thriller from Starz’s The Girlfriend Experience<https://deadline.com/tag/the-girlfriend-experience/> co-creator Amy Seimetz<https://deadline.com/tag/amy-seimetz/> (FSU alum and involved in many of our films) and produced by Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08) , which was an official selection of this year’s SXSW<https://deadline.com/tag/sxsw/> Film Festival before the Austin event was canceled.  Read the Deadline article at https://deadline.com/2020/03/neon-takes-worldwide-on-amy-seimetzs-sxsw-selected-title-she-dies-tomorrow-1202891998/

From Kyla Trull Williams (BFA ADA 15) “For the last 7 months, I’ve been modeling and animating iconic Disney properties for the opening title sequence of "Disney Insider" now streaming on Disney+. Jasper Tatem (BFA ADA 15) also joined the project to help complete more of the modeling and texturing. I was also the lead artist for the segment graphics. Check it out on now on Disney+”

From Erica Chan (MFA 15) “This is a pretty comforting group to join if you want to connect with others who are experiencing the same thing as a person in the entertainment industry. Makes you feel less alone.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/140075630715782

Lindsay Hartman, who was our Film School Development Officer for several years has COVID-19. She is the first person I personally know who definitely has the virus .  I shared this earlier in the week with our Film School family and I I thought you might be interested in her experience.   She is doing verbaI updates on her facebook page in case you are interested in following her family’s journey.

“I have had a cough for weeks, a viral infection that just wouldn’t go away but I could keep up with my normal routine so I didn’t go to the doctor (side note: moms, we have to take better care of ourselves). Last Wednesday evening I got hot and took my temp, 99.5. Went to bed and started having pinpoint pain in my chest.

Thursday morning I woke up coughing incessantly, had tightness in my chest, and felt like I couldn’t take a deep breath. The moment my primary care doctor’s office opened I called and explained my symptoms. They transfer red me to a triage nurse who pre-screened me and set me up with an appointment at urgent care. At that time, she told me I screened negative because my fever wasn’t high enough and my cough wasn’t dry.
Before I left for urgent care, Ben and I had to tell my mom, who was scheduled to fly back to Indiana that day, that it felt irresponsible for her to go through 3 airports, get on 2 different planes, and possibly expose hundreds of people to the virus. That was hard. Thank God she agreed to stay with us. At the urgent care the nurse practitioner went through all the same questions and admitted she “could make a case for testing me”. I told her with my mom here and needing to return to Indiana sometime soon, it would really give us piece of mind. (What a blessing that nurse was to our family for agreeing to test me!)

My fever has increased each day since Wednesday topping out at 101.5. My cough has never been “dry”. I didn’t have the typical symptoms but I got the call this morning my COVID-19 swab came back positive! I’m sharing to BEG each of you to STAY HOME. I will be fine. My mom is healthy and she will be fine. What brings tears to my eyes is the “what if”...what if mom had flown home. What if she had given the virus to my dad or 91-yr-old grandma, or God forbid my pregnant SIL. Staying away from EVERYONE is the best thing you can do to prevent the spread. This is a scary time. We will prevail!”  NOTE:  Both Lindsay’s husband and her mom also have the virus.  Her 2 young sons do not have it.”

Something that seemed to help explain how I’ve been feeling from the Harvard Business Review:  That Discomfort You Are Feeling Is Grief https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief?fbclid=IwAR19vAIDsCZeFDCNQz3ukhPsqhuPrmeaDWoVf-Nq1rbUSy8KZV2uhvCueB0

In an effort to support our community during this global hardship, we’ve decided to roll back our entry fees through March 31st! Entry into the Creative Screenwriting Unique Voices Screenplay Competition will be only $24 for all Features and Pilots. There is no promo code required, but you must submit on the ISA website<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/creativescreenwriting.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d600bb19fef6687344934a9ca&id=c31236d82c&e=d34a734ca9__;!!PhOWcWs!kRmdT4T7SyIl8Mc3eOIwU_zLMSMeOElljFnyntY0emoBOdRaNlJgjPMw_e_AgqM229V_zIA$>.

The Vilcek Foundation currently seeks young foreign-born applicants for the 2021 Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Filmmaking<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vilcek.org/prizes/vilcek-prizes-for-creative-promise/__;!!PhOWcWs!iUpApjoY9rSrHNdzZ0xmO9TjBoruR6m5xcCyVdUddLb99F0OD4FEvn6S26js0CEI$> - from now until June 10, 2020 at 5pm EST. We are a nonprofit foundation dedicated to raising awareness of immigrant contributions to the arts and sciences in the United States. Immigrant directors, editors, screenwriters, producers and cinematographers working across a variety of genres including narrative, documentary, experimental or animation, are invited to apply. Applicants should have been born outside of the United States; be 38 years of age or younger; and completed at least one short film that has received a prize or been selected for film festivals, or alternatively, one feature-length film. Three winners will each receive a $50,000 unrestricted cash prize and will be honored at an awards ceremony in New York City in April 2021. Complete eligibility requirements and the online application can be found on www.vilcek.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vilcek.org/prizes/vilcek-prizes-for-creative-promise/__;!!PhOWcWs!iUpApjoY9rSrHNdzZ0xmO9TjBoruR6m5xcCyVdUddLb99F0OD4FEvn6S26js0CEI$>.

I hope lots of you will be using this down time to write.   Here’s a list of screenplay contest deadlines coming up soon.i

Deadline                      Contest
3/28/2020                      Hollywood Just4Shorts Screenplay Contest<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=306&content_type=10>

4/6/2020                        Scriptapalooza TV Competition<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=108&content_type=10>

4/13/2020                      Scriptapalooza Screenwriting Competition<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=169&content_type=10>

4/13/2020                      Scriptapalooza Fellowship<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=292&content_type=10>

4/18/2020                      Breaking Walls Thriller Screenplay Contest<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=278&content_type=10>

4/20/2020                      PAGE International Screenwriting Awards<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=25&content_type=10>

5/1/2020                        Academy Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting<http://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=59&content_type=10>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 26, 2020

I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez) was selected for screening at the pop-up Locked In Film Festival – A festival in quarantine, to be held for 3-4 weeks sometime soon. For more information about this online (obviously) festival, go to lockedinfilmfestival.com.

I’m Not Here (BFA Documentary 2019 Jenavieve Verley/Adrian Ramirez) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival in Florida, May 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) was selected for screening in the L-Dub Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, March 26-29. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.lakeworthplayhouse.org/welcome/ldub/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), El Perro de Piedra (BFA Thesis 2019 Brennan Brinkley) and Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, March 27-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.amdocfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.amdocfilmfest.com__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!7OqDchlr3LLvuLo2slfEgRUUbqyivXgIscxvYz5CEr_3L-S5xLPfyN9JrjjRTy-EjOs$>.

Landless (MFA D2 2019 Joshwa Walton) and Wetman (BFA F3 2019 Cameron Greco) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, March 27 – April 5. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com.

Protectors of Life (MFA Thesis 2019 Jameel Karim) was selected for screening in the short online contest of FirstGlance Film Fest Los Angeles, March 16 – April 14. For more information about this contest go to firstglancefilms.com.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) and Exit (MFA d2 2019 Alex Argiles) were selected for screening at the New Orleans Comedy Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.nocff.com<http://www.nocff.com>.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

A Friend for the End (MFA D1 2018 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Azalea Film Festival in Mobile, Alabama, April 3-4. For more information about this festival, go towww.azaleafilmfestival.com<http://www.azaleafilmfestival.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up! Film Festival in West Hollywood, April 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead) and A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) are all finalists in the College Narrative category, and Into the Flames (BFA Documentary 2019 Carsen Jessell) is a finalist in the College Documentary category in the Palm Beaches Student Showcase of Films. Winners will be announced at a ceremony on April 3rd in West Palm Beach. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) were selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Children’s Film Festival, April 10-19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.childrensfilmla.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu), No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) and Pickpocket (MFA D2 2019 James McKenzie) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, April 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) and Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) were selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival in North Carolina, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at Seattle Black Film Festival, April 23-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://langstonseattle.org/.

A Separation (MFA Thesis 2019 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go towww.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 22-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go towww.kidsfirst.org<http://www.kidsfirst.org>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Petersburg, April 30 – May 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) was invited to screen at the Explore Florida Film Festival at the famous Enzian Theatre in Maitland, Florida on May 2nd.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the BraveMaker Film Fest in Redwood City, California, May 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.bravemaker.com/filmfest.

The Ballad of the Barkeep (MFA Thesis 2019 Eric Hoyer) and Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) were selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in DeKalb, Illinois, on May 16.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry WR/PR), The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Marionette (MFA D2 2019 Juhyun Jane Jeong) were selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, June 5-7. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.serfilmfestival.com/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LGBT Los Angeles Film Festival on June 11, 2020. For more information about this festival, go tolafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com<mailto:lafestival at lgbttorontofilmfestival.com>.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival in Florida, June 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahadeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Take it Down (BFA F1 2019 Andrew Bourne) and Ipecac (BFA F1 2019 Daniel Feldman) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival in Mount Dora, January 22-24, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com.