[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9/26/19

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 26 14:25:05 EDT 2019

From Matt Pope (MFA 05) “Heads-up to everyone in LA. My film Blood On Her Name, which recently premiered at Fantasia, will be screening at the Spielberg Theater at the Egyptian on Saturday, October 5th (8pm) as part of Beyond Fest. Even better, tickets are free! I’ll be in town for a Q&A after the screening and would love to see you there. The press has been great so far so we expect the film to sell out, and tickets cannot be reserved in advance, so plan to be there early and make sure to say hey! http://americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/blood-on-her-name-0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/blood-on-her-name-0__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!hLpLiS_Ru_9xOY9X5l2zjo-1DE7bXM7_CgLIHFxOTKHqkZ_RgnK6Wj0iVbwUG44$>

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis & Will O’Neal, Dir./Jazleana Jones, DP) and Existent (BFA Thesis 2018 Gabriel Valbuena, Dir./Nathan Cohen, DP) are finalists in the American Society of Cinematographers Student Heritage Awards to be held October 11-12 in Los Angeles.  Skylar, Jazleana and Nathan will all be attending the ceremony.

From Whitney Clinkscales (MFA 15) “I directed and produced a 5 episode docu-series/promotional campaign for Hispanic Heritage Month that's running on  the Disney Channel between 9/15-10/15. The 1st spot premiered last Sunday. This is my first time making the jump from Digital to On-Air and everyone over at Disney is really happy with how everything turned out! Rochelle Rose (MFA  ) came on board to PA for us while she was in town! I’m working for a Production Company called Riverside Entertainment based out of Nashville/LA and we have a bunch of things coming up so i'll keep you in the loop on where i'm at. Let me know what you think about the spot! Episode One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo0BjjB9Sw<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo0BjjB9Sw__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!gsakmmCykabHRzRfIwv_OquezJJGKHGLWAJR8Pnus6PZUzLhwcI8ZVzhFRirnCE$>

From Elizabeth Fletcher (MFA 14) “I just moved up to the NYC area, where I am working as a Camera Operator for CNN. I would love to connect with any fellow alumni in the area. Feel free to reach out to me at efletcher2222 at gmail.com<mailto:efletcher2222 at gmail.com>.”

From Alex Avrakotos (BFA ADA 18) “Frozen 2 Trailer just dropped! Can’t wait till I can see my team’s hard work. I finally wrapped on production.  See the trailer at https://tinyurl.com/yylmqpv7

Be sure to check out  new CBS comedy Bob ❤️ Abishola, which premiered this week.  Marla DuMont (MFA Writing 08) is a writer on the show.

From Kale Bittner (BFA 06) “Super excited to start my new marketing job at Wondery<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/WonderyMedia/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARA0-PRNdfGsClne2ikhlZXe-cIQZTaAXAaqK15WfceNcHsnBOQIFUdfvhwwPWVaBAJ0wOIMuZ0K_F9w&fref=mentions&__xts__*5B0*5D=68.ARATZH1xMguZEjTvSY8soUwllWw8PrAP3MFZCtxNrHKl2gqqP1equjtPSrvrMGFVOXYrUTpV43Cjqk3bHi6UIOPPwNLT4qfkTYM-PSA6F_yGTLBKvhwhS4ZvB0p3FT6fh40ais8ndd1dgLOYBR4Smk2a2KmgRo4WhZxs_Lzj5YxUI4l2Y63jvoAXTAK0_ljkNKeDJtgijkVVg14cYbTpWIH180JF3tXVm1xPny-o9rzuQA__;JSU!5Xm4_O-4tfk!gzqrEeX2NBqJVluezPrjZ4Fu-WYr-WKk7HSacCl4Vu0Q4rGS-hsIp62MFMX65IM$>. If you are not aware, they are a excellent podcast company producing some incredible content. Some of their more notable shows are Dirty John, Dr. Death, Business Wars, and Life Imagined. All are well worth a listen.”

From Chris Chandras (BFA ADA15) “Whelp, its officially official: in February 2020 I'll be moving to Japan to work for the next year and possibly more! After an intense application and interview process, and months of waiting to find out where I would be living and working, I finally got the confirmation last night! Not gonna lie I'm a little nervous about it, but more than anything excited to experience life in Japan. Here's to eventually watching anime with no subtitles “

Film Florida extends an invitation to film industry and entertainment professionals of Florida to join them for an Open House Tour at Ampersand Studios.  Come and visit the brand new studio facilities and enjoy some complimentary hors d’oeuvres and cocktails.   Thursday, October 3, 6-9 PM, 31 NE 17th Street, Miami, FL. RSVP:  events at amperstudios.com

Fall Auditions
The FSU College of Motion Picture Arts will hold open casting calls for Graduate and Undergraduate Films:

Sunday, October 6 at 10am-7pm
Sunday, October 13 at 10am-7pm

Drop by anytime on either date. No appointment needed. No experience necessary. All ages welcome.

The auditions will take place at the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts in Tallahassee, FL, located in University Center Building A, which is attached to the Doak Campbell Stadium. The front entrance of the Film School is located on the northeast side of the stadium near Gate K. The stadium address is 282 Champions Way, Tallahassee, FL 32306.

For more info and to register in advance, visit http://action.film.fsu.edu/

From Matt Sanders (MFA 10) “*Paid gig* Hello all, I'm looking for a documentary editor (or hungry assistant editor) that is located in Los Angeles. The type of editor that we are looking for is someone who really understands how to build an emotional story arc for a 2 to 3 minute (one subject) story. This edit would be for part one of a larger commercial/documentary series that the director will be presenting back to the client. It's also worth noting that my director is traveling on another job and will only be available to provide notes and feedback remotely, but there will be a brief before the edit gets underway and we will have in house producers to give small notes. All of the footage has been transcoded and set up/organized in Adobe Premiere. I have an office with edit bay that I'd prefer you work in during business hours, located in mid-city around 3rd & LaBrea. Please include resumes and reels and email Hello at Society.tv<mailto:Hello at Society.tv> with subject heading: "Documentary Editor" if you're interested. Thank you”

Do you have a film that depicts the African-American experience? Submit your film to the BESLA Film Festival and win a deal with BET Networks💥 Filmmakers are invited to submit 5-10 minute short films that depict the African-American experience or films produced/directed by African-Americans to the BESLA Film Festival.
The 1st place winner's film will show on BET's social media platforms and be featured on BET.com!  The top 4 films will screen at the 2019 BESLA conference in Panama City, Panama, November 6-10, 2019 to top entertainment industry professionals.
 SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE OCTOBER 16!
https://theaudienceawards.com/besla/2019beslafilmfestival?mc_cid=42e9809cbb&mc_eid=375105a5b7

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – September 26, 2019

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the PA Indie Shorts Film Festival in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, November 2-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.paindieshorts.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at qFlix Worcester in Massachusetts, October 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.qflixworcester.com/.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the New Hampshire Film Festival, October 17-20 in Portsmouth. For more information about this festival, go to nhfilmfestival.com.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the inaugural Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival in White Plains, New York, October 10-13. For more information about this festival, go towww.sleepyhollowfilmfest.com<http://www.sleepyhollowfilmfest.com>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Georgia International Latino Film Festival in Norcross, October 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://georgialatinofilmfestival.org.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) was invited to screen at the Tampa Bay Humanitarian Film Festival in Clearwater on September 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/500-cleveland-st-clearwater-fl-33755-4006-united-states/tampa-bay-humanitarian-film-festival/2105716369755701/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Great Lakes International Film Festival in Erie, Pennsylvania, September 19-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://greatlakesfilmfest.com/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on September 26. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.com<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Trans Stellar Film Festival in Detroit, September 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.transstellarfilmfestival.com/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) and The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) and Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) were nominated for Best Short, and Sara Karimipour and Costa Karalis/Jack Owen were also nominated for Best Director of a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the NOLA Horror Film Fest in New Orleans, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.neworleanshorrorfilmfestival.com/.

What We Had (BFA F3 2019 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at Out on Film in Atlanta, September 26 – October 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.outonfilm.org/<http://www.outonfilm.org/>.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis/Will O’Neal) is a semi-finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Baked Goods (BFA Thesis 2019 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the NALIP Latino Media Fest in Los Angeles, October 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.latinomediafest.com/<http://www.latinomediafest.com/>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) were selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go towww.queencityfilmfestival.org<http://www.queencityfilmfestival.org>.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival of Nashville, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://ibffnashville.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, October 4-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.tiglff.com<http://www.tiglff.com>.

Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening at Awareness Fest in Los Angeles, October 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to healoneworld.org.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis & Will O’Neal, Dir./Jazleana Jones, DP) and Existent (BFA Thesis 2018 Gabriel Valbuena, Dir./Nathan Cohen, DP) are finalists in the American Society of Cinematographers Student Heritage Awards to be held October 11-12 in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to https://theasc.com/news/asc-invites-educators-to-propose-2019-student-heritage-awards-nominees.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 10-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com>.

the things I love, for me (BFA F3 2019 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the Fatale Femme Film Festival in Brooklyn on October 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/fatalfemmefilmfest.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Stuff MX Film Festival in Mexico City, November 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://stuffilmfest.wix.com/stuff-film-festival.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) and Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) were selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go to www.kidsfirst.org.