[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.19.19

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-bfad film-bfad at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 19 13:51:10 EDT 2019

Congratulations to Oualid Mouaness (MFA97) whose feature film 1982won the NETPAC Award at the Toronto International Film Festival.   The jury remarked that the film was chosen: “for its adventurous, imaginative style, and subtle, confident filmmaking, bravely juxtaposing and framing the universal innocence and charm of youth within harrowing historical context. ”The jury, selected from the Network for the Promotion of Asian Pacific Cinema, included Chairperson Beckie Stocchetti, Kanako Hayashi, and Albert Shin.”
And congratulations to Alessandro Soares (MFA 01) who won an Emmy for Outstanding Picture Editing for an Unstructured Reality Program, United Shades Of America With W. Kamau Bell, “Hmong Americans And The Secret War”, CNN, CNN Original Series, Main Event Media, All3Media America, Alessandro Soares, Editor.

From  Lexa Payne (BFA 12) “I'm the Digital Content Producer for Apple's Carpool Karaoke: The Series which won a Creative Arts Emmy for Best Short Form Variety Series for the second year in a row! I was lucky enough to attend the ceremony and be invited on stage with the creative team to accept the award.  In other Television Academy news - in the past year I accepted a staff position producing digital content for The Late Late Show with James Corden, and my team was nominated at the Creative Art Emmys for Best Interactive Program. We are very proud to have lost to NASA!”

The Guardian just published a list of the Top 100 films of the 21st Century. Moonlight is at #8.  https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century

From Lucas Omar (MFA 17) “I'm working as a director's assistant for Shari Springer Berman and Bob Pulcini on a new Netflix movie called Things Heard And Seen starring Amanda Seyfried. It's a sexy, horror thriller and so far it's been a BLAST!  Also the Todd Haynes movie I was working on just dropped a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHOnlmmigQ<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHOnlmmigQ__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!gP7HydV1cxkJVcsX7kKA8lZNgHGSu18x6Veyz60C9TS_vCcQCOwoTCdrDnY9YME$>

See the Deadline article about Fabrik adapting the novel Invisible Monsters with Melissa Aouate (BFA 04) as executive producer:   https://deadline.com/2019/09/invisible-monsters-fabrik-jennifer-yale-prep-series-based-on-chuck-palahniuk-novel-1202736507/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2019/09/invisible-monsters-fabrik-jennifer-yale-prep-series-based-on-chuck-palahniuk-novel-1202736507/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!kg0bH0pQ8u8TgIcoCb_dT-hZzbVCae7eRzaIGaKJBk_vj9MgfQ-QdxUIgVaWqfc$>

From Raymond Knudsen (BFA 19). “I was recently hired by Jupiter Entertainment to produce and shoot a Sizzle Reel for a potential online series about high school football in Pahokee/Belle Glade, FL, which is the same area where I made my documentary, “Full Circle” (BFA Documentary 2017). The series was just picked up by CuriosityStream (https://curiositystream.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/curiositystream.com__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!lWndCHaefyZatvNZ2Ml0_WW0RON9K6oO8gMgeaG2MLMSpuXIxokdukFfyMFmL10$>) for an 8 episode season, and I’ll be one of the show’s Field Producers. Huge thanks to the FSU Film School for giving us the opportunity to make these documentaries. It has truly come full circle.”

From Matthew L. Weiss (BFA 97) "I just got back form beautiful Long Lake, NY where I was living in a lakefront cabin for over a month editing on set of an indie feature film shooting there called Black Bear starring Aubrey Plaza, Christopher Abbot and Sarah Gadon, directed by an old friend and colleague of mine Lawrence Levine whom I know from my Tom Noonan days doing acting/writing workshops in NYC. It was a very cool treat to be able to start to assemble scenes as footage came in each morning and to help determine what needed to be shot (or in some cases re-shot) while the cast and crew were still working to make this very unique meta-thriller (part of which concerns the making of a film much like the one we were actually making!). We are now thick into the editing process with an eye on the Sundance deadline which is fast approaching. In any case, I am very excited and proud to be putting my skills to work on such a great, original project with so many talented people involved (plus me). Here’s a bit of press: https://deadline.com/2019/07/aubrey-plaza-christopher-abbott-sarah-gadon-black-bear-director-lawrence-michael-levine-1202656521/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2019/07/aubrey-plaza-christopher-abbott-sarah-gadon-black-bear-director-lawrence-michael-levine-1202656521/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mm_OSlLZ7ya9w6-mWqGo6euD5wZNggIlkD1O2mWp6N_haQYiWtuuKT0KWsLCw-g$>  Hopefully all FSU alumni will keep an eye out for it in the coming year!'

From Kristian Kamp (MFA 98) “Just wanted to let you know that my son (Lucas Kleppe Kamp) has applied to FSU BFA in Acting starting fall 2020.  My animated feature film "Troll - The Tale of a Tail" had a successful release in Nordic countries this year. It will be released in Theaters in over 60 countries around the world in 2020 (including North America).”

From Thomas Jackson (MFA 97)  “I also wanted to let you know I was one of the finalist in this years PETA's Sexiest Vegan Over 50. There are 6 finalist 3 men and 3 women and the winners will be announced Sept 27th. Anyone can vote here: http://bit.ly/votesvo50<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/bit.ly/votesvo50__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!iCoXMUFkLRBgSAnVoUDrqJTpNxLwKudHJCxs6vHGtEWW5jdlFkffrx7PyTY_IfQ$>
From Stephen Grum (BFA13) “I am the Gaffer on a new Netflix series from EP Jenji Kohan in Atlanta that started back in June. David Swinburne, Media Production 2014, is the Production Supervisor. Kyle Morgan, BFA13, has been out lighting with us. We shoot through the end of October.”

From Ryan Spindell (MFA 07) “Whelp, the cat is out of the bag! THE MORTUARY COLLECTION will have its world premiere at Fantastic Fest 2019 later this month, and I expect each an every one of you to attend!  Here’s a link to a teaser:  Here's a link to a teaser https://ew.com/trailers/2019/09/17/the-mortuary-collection-trailer/

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 18) “Last week, the campaign for “Coverboy Cosmetics,” drag queen Willam Belli’s new makeup line, was launched. I DP’ed it this April:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5Wu7DajS4
Also, yesterday BLK Prime, a subscription streaming service specialized on multi-cultural content, released “Sweet as Pye,” a 6 episode series that I shot back in May. Tony DeNiro (MFA18) was 1st AD on the show.
https://watchnow.blkprime.com

From Jason Matthews (BFA 02) “The past couple of years have been very busy for me here in New York City Post-Production Editorial. The NY Post 30% tax incentives have just been extended again this time till 2025. This has brought a lot bigger studio / network scale jobs here to the state in past years. Recently, I have been very privileged to assist for and work with some very talented Picture Editors. Scott Cummings, Pietro Scalia, Affonso Goncalves, and Joe Bini. The majority of my 2018 and 2019 was spent on "Wendy" Benh Zeitlin's newest film as the VFX Editor. It's scheduled for a early 2020 release and am excited to see how the project is received. In August I wrapped up with Sabrina Plisco on "Clifford the Big Red Dog" as they prepare to head back to the Paramount lot in Los Angeles. Sabrina is such a pleasure to work for and has become a mentor like figure for me. She is so welcoming to help people out especially when it comes to the ACE internship program.  I recently just signed on as the First Assistant Editor to Mark Osborne's newest animated feature film for Netflix titled "Escape from Hat." We are currently developing a ambitious production / post pipeline that is going to be a hybrid of various techniques such as miniature sets, real time motion capture, motion control, and the traditional CG Animation. Production is scheduled for Fall 2020 through 2021 and will be done using augmented reality live compositing techniques.  Any graduates in the New York area that are looking to get into post feel free to reach out to me at my email jasonmatthews01 at gmail.com. I do hear of entry level Post PA jobs from time to time”

From Marc Carllini (MFA 05) “We our having our World Premiere of our feature "She's in Portland" at the Boston Film Festival this weekend.  Our cast and crew are very excited to finally get to share it with the world.  So many talented and caring people came together to bring this film to life, along with a few valuable FSU alumni in key positions:  Patrick Alexander (MFA 06), Greg O'Bryant (MFA 04), T. Justin Ross (MFA 07), Steve Acevedo (MFA 05). This film definitely wouldn't have happened without the combined creative force of these four, along with the rest of my committed production team.  Countless other FSU alumni gave their support and insight along the way, which I am forever grateful for.  Hopefully everyone will get to see the film soon enough.  In the meantime, if you are in Boston this weekend feel free to come check it out!  Here is a link to the festival and film details www.bostonfilmfestival.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.bostonfilmfestival.org/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!h2Y20L41pwuKe4AIEwgSePOvQSeAN20EVDQQyQyYRm2SETiIi15-pSAZR-OHDUA$>”

From Nicole Rogers (MFA 12) “Here's your first look into the I am the Fox Theatre campaign that I have been working on as an editor since June this year. The Fabulous Fox Theatre is iconic in Atlanta, and for the first time in its 90 years of operation, she's finally getting to tell her story! This is the first time the Fox Theater has ever advertised, and I'm honored to have been able to be a part of it. I've edited 7 short documentaries, 78 social media pieces, and 5 broadcast commercials which will all be dropping over the course of the next few months. Our first commercial spot is airing now and can be viewed on YouTube. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1fWXsqlaQ&feature=youtu.be<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1fWXsqlaQ&feature=youtu.be__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!kOrcWodeR0EqzIWdvDCWAWlSonXkoomkOtyVxUHStQZZXIuy33bL6s7rpP3PIDw$>)

For a deep dive into what I've been doing, check out the behind the scenes documentary of the entire campaign! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FRs_FFTtg<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1FRs_FFTtg__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!kOrcWodeR0EqzIWdvDCWAWlSonXkoomkOtyVxUHStQZZXIuy33bL6s7r_me8EYQ$> Head over to their main youtube page for more behind the scenes bits and pieces and follow them on facebook and instagram to keep getting more content! They will be releasing stories and video posts on insta, facebook, and YouTube for a few months as the campaign rolls out!”

From Kevin McShane (MFA 02)  “After 17 years of enduring gross LA weather, I recently relocated to sunny NYC. I still travel back to CA for work (Producing at BuzzFeed), but NY is home for now. Would love to connect with any FSU alum in the area. And to any new grads in NYC - BuzzFeed is always looking for freelance shooters and editors. Feel free to send me your resume atkevin.mcshane at buzzfeed.com<mailto:kevin.mcshane at buzzfeed.com>”

From Alex Digiacomo (BFA 13) “Hello everyone! I'm still in Montreal, freelance directing toddlers (to some, this will sound absurd) for Mega Bloks toy commercials has been paying the bills, but I have also been working on a major project, and it's finally getting off the ground. Beastiarium is a mobile-RPG game with a PvP component with a heavy focus on storytelling that uses a new methodology I developed called gamified-reading: all aspects of reading the user engages in are rewarded with gameplay benefits, such as new, stronger characters, passive damage boosts, or new, secret dungeons and levels. This is primarily a tool for increasing literacy in kids ages 7-11, but also even a tool for adults learning a foreign language, because the 2nd Grade reading level is one of the main barriers that people don't push through. I will be doing a small crowdfunding campaign within the coming months, to secure the funds to develop a fully working prototype, which will qualify me for very significant amounts of sweet, succulent, Canadian grant money. If this sounds interesting to you, please reach out ( digiacomofilms at gmail.com<mailto:digiacomofilms at gmail.com> ), even a like on our FB page would be great. https://www.facebook.com/catpricorn As someone who doesn't code, this is the best type of prototype that I have been able to develop, it should give you an idea of how it all works! Read the description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5by1rBeo2nY”
From Matthew Robinson (MFA 17) “Hi everyone, I'm in the process of raising money for my first directorial feature film. It'll obviously include many FSU alums on the crew: myself (MFA '17) as co-writer, director, and co-producer; Layne Inselman (MFA '17) as cinematographer; Carolina Garrigo (MFA '17) as Producer; Nikki Lee (MFA '17) as producer and 1AD; Shandton Williams (MFA '17) as director of graphics. The film is about the challenges that a group of college friends face when one of them develops a severe drug addiction. We're two weeks into a Seed & Spark campaign, and we're really close to reaching our goal. If you're interested in learning more about the project, check us out at theshallowwaterfilm.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/theshallowwaterfilm.com__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!hjPZqWTvqIeWv8z3mWMMtE3ecVwYeytx6Tt0GMRwZE3hjZ71fBTfCBcD70ZDIy0$>. Thanks!”

From Nikki Lee (MFA 17) “For those who don't know, I'm producing a feature this winter in North Carolina. Here is the video we made for our crowdfunding page! If you like it and want to know more, check out our page here: www.theshallowwaterfilm.com<http://www.theshallowwaterfilm.com/?fbclid=IwAR0L0a-VlIrFnGr9zli1sVQqzTmVybLchBS4M-JLkbrHKatYc_IGfCeV2HQ>  Feel free to donate, like the page, or even just send positive vibes. Anything you can do helps! Now go rack up those karma points.”

From Corey Crumpacker (BFA 15). “Back when I was sixteen, my younger brother, Jake, was diagnosed with bone cancer in his leg. During his year of chemo I filmed a little homemade doc following his day-to-day struggle that’s since been seen by a lot of people online people and helped raise money for Children’s Miracle Network.Jake’s now been cancer free for eight years and is kicking ass, so about two years ago I decided to try to do something bigger. I’ve just launched a Kickstarter campaign to help get this thing over the finish line, and I just wanna ask that if you know anyone who has been personally affected by cancer or childhood disease who may be passionate about this I would be massively grateful if you got this in front of their eyeballs. Thanks a ton!  Here’s the project link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whitefire/white-fire-film<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.kickstarter.com/projects/whitefire/white-fire-film__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!giKGNcIV82hsdImp0o5YUqbT9YxxoSPLgLpz0BSOKMhrXxhdNlNEysvogfUxtA4$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – September 19, 2019

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) and Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) were nominated for Best Short, and Sara Karimipour and Costa Karalis/Jack Owen were also nominated for Best Director of a Short Film at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Rin Oostman) was selected for screening at StudioFest in Los Angeles, September 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://studiofestofficial.com/.

Baked Goods (BFA Thesis 2019 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the NALIP Latino Media Fest in Los Angeles, October 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.latinomediafest.com/<http://www.latinomediafest.com/>.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go to www.kidsfirst.org.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go towww.queencityfilmfestival.org<http://www.queencityfilmfestival.org>.

the things I love, for me (BFA F3 2019 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the Fatale Femme Film Festival in Brooklyn on October 19. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.facebook.com/fatalfemmefilmfest.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the MECCAcon International Film Festival in Detroit, September 19-21. For more information about this con, go to https://www.facebook.com/MECCAconIndieFilmFest/.

Mercy (MFA D2 2018 Nathaniel Price) was selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go tohttps://www.tinff.net/.

Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Reformed and Retweeted (BFA Documentary 2018 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) was invited to screen at the Tampa Bay Humanitarian Film Festival in Clearwater on September 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/500-cleveland-st-clearwater-fl-33755-4006-united-states/tampa-bay-humanitarian-film-festival/2105716369755701/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Great Lakes International Film Festival in Erie, Pennsylvania, September 19-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://greatlakesfilmfest.com/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on September 26. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.com<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Trans Stellar Film Festival in Detroit, September 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.transstellarfilmfestival.com/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) and The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the NOLA Horror Film Fest in New Orleans, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.neworleanshorrorfilmfestival.com/.

What We Had (BFA F3 2019 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at Out on Film in Atlanta, September 26 – October 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.outonfilm.org/<http://www.outonfilm.org/>.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis/Will O’Neal) is a semi-finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.queencityfilmfestival.org.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival of Nashville, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://ibffnashville.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, October 4-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.tiglff.com<http://www.tiglff.com>.

Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening at Awareness Fest in Los Angeles, October 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to healoneworld.org.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis & Will O’Neal, Dir./Jazleana Jones, DP) and Existent (BFA Thesis 2018 Gabriel Valbuena, Dir./Nathan Cohen, DP) are finalists in the American Society of Cinematographers Student Heritage Awards to be held October 11-12 in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to https://theasc.com/news/asc-invites-educators-to-propose-2019-student-heritage-awards-nominees.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 10-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Stuff MX Film Festival in Mexico City, November 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://stuffilmfest.wix.com/stuff-film-festival.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) and Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) were selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.