[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.6.19

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Sep 6 08:14:32 EDT 2019

The Film School is celebrating 30 years!  Help us remember the good times and the challenges by using  #FSUFilmturns30 when posting throwbacks to facebook, instagram, and twitter! You can also email photos that you would like us to share if you don't use social media.  I’ll remind you often to search the hashtag over the next few months to see all the great photos and videos your fellow alumni share.

Matt Lopez (BFA ’93) is writing two projects for cable/streaming: “Sneakthief” for FX, which Matt is executive producing along with Warren Littlefield (“The Handmaid’s Tale”), and “Meddling Kids” for Amazon Studios, with Matt executive producing alongside Peter Chernin (“Ford v. Ferrari”).

From Carissa Dorson (BFA11)  ‘I recently had the opportunity to represent Panasonic by shooting and directing my own project (a dance film called "Alive") with their new S1H camera.  We just had a press event for the camera launch, where I presented my work and  talked about my experience using the camera.  Here's an article about it!: https://nofilmschool.com/short-films-panasonic-lumix-s1h
My dance film can be viewed here: https://vimeo.com/356186744
And here's a behind the scenes video!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ep-ngeAZ0c&t=88s  I had a ton of FSU crew supporting me on this, including producer Shane Spiegel (BFA 11), editor Justin Reager (BFA 11), production designer Clara Maria Diez (BFA 14) , art director Millie Jenkins (BFA 19), costume designer Laura Cristina Ortiz, Ronin operator Idan Menin (BFA 12), 1AC Erica Chan (MFA 15) , key grip Dana Fytelson (MFA 14) , and best boy grip Tiara Olson (BFA 18).”

From Rebekah Suellau (MFA Writing 2012). “I've just started my first semester as a part-time instructor at Georgia State, teaching two sections of Dramatic Writing (both stage and screenwriting) for their Film, Media and Theatre department. Very exciting to be combining my professional experience with all I learned in my time at FSU!”

From Dean Reb Braddock to the University Film and Video Association membership:  “The Florida State University College of Motion Picture Arts<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2F458rl1jp.r.us-east-1.awstrack.me*2FL0*2Fhttps*3A*252F*252Fmembers.ufva.org*252Flink.asp*253Fe*3Dwtsao*40colum.edu*2526job*3D3857170*2526ymlink*3D466827878*2526finalurl*3Dhttps*25253A*25252F*25252Ffilm*25252Efsu*25252Eedu*25252F*2F1*2F0100016ce7b84dbb-17d53cdb-e01d-4414-ac1e-f4d63ad7bdd9-000000*2F3xSRNDMWZAP868pSXSrAKKp-LwI*3D125&data=02*7C01*7Cwtsao*40colum.edu*7Cb268310eb3694ac3479f08d72e1187a2*7C243ef28877994efcaff5fde4e3f1c98d*7C1*7C0*7C637028525142989096&sdata=*2B9hMqVT4Ch47uoCC6xXtNQooZd8QqZcVSF9OZI0EhZs*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSU!5Xm4_O-4tfk!nASWXUl8M0Z4yxhVz2LvRWqWl1Eq13BnzJuJ26X7ApO3D4_xLBgcOjU36d5wwS7a$> is honored to be selected as the host of the 2020 UFVA annual conference. FSU’s film school was formed in 1989 with the express mission “to prepare men and women for careers in the motion picture industry.” We became an institutional member of UFVA and a conference host in 1992, only one year after graduating our first class. Today, as the Film School nears its 30th year anniversary, we are recognized by both the DGA and the Hollywood Reporter as one of the best film schools in the country. Everyone here in Tallahassee is excited to bring us all together to share ideas and foster excellence in film education. It is with great pleasure that I invite you to Florida State University!”

From Mark Vargo Film School Cinematographer:  Here's a trailer for a horror movie that I worked on as the A Camera Operator - Michael Goi directed a freaky little script that stars Gary Oldman. Enjoy "Mary" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtRUYMS8_4

Congratulations to Stephen Musumeci (BFA 19) who is a development intern at Killer Films!

My name is Ashley Allen.  I am producing a film in Thomasville, GA called Quiet in My Town.  Our director is Michael Carney who wrote, produced, and directed Same Kind of Different as Me which featured Renee Zellweger, Greg Kinnear and Djimon Hounsou.  We are also thrilled to have Maz Makhani as our cinematographer.   We are set to begin principal photography on Oct. 14.  I am currently in search of local crew - all positions.  If you have any current or former students who would be interested in working with us please have them send me their resume.  Our company is in search of talented individuals, however just as important as their talent is their ability to help us maintain a kind, respectful and collaborative set.  Please note, we are a union film (SAG Low Budget, IATSE tier 1). Looking forward to hearing from FSU students and alumni. Contact me at ashley at nobleroad.com<mailto:ashley at nobleroad.com>

From Katie Furtivo:  “Our independent film grant launched in 2018, fully funding 4 narrative short film project and awarding over $100k in grant money. We are excited to be bringing our grant back for a second year, and I would love to share the announcement with your students. The SHIFT Creative Fund<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/shift.io/creativefund/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mGN5qseZV2bCPL38f-K8mprzHj4LXxyce-0xlgLXCfh9Er349SAzvm663w_v56LJ$> will be opening applications for our second year of funding from September 1st - September 30th, and we will be selecting our winners before the end of the year. In addition to full production funding our group of 18+ industry sponsors will be offering the winning filmmakers additional perks such as location rentals, music and software licensing and legal services. The grant is specifically for narrative short films and we hope to award between 4-6 filmmakers this year, depending on submitted budgets and industry sponsors. We would love to be featured in your newsletter or bulletin in early September to get your students interested and excited about this opportunity. I truly think your students will find value in the grant and I would love to get this in front of as wide an audience as possible.  https://shift.io/creativefund/

Brenda’s Weekly Screenings & Awards Update – September 5, 2019

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis & Will O’Neal, Dir./Jazleana Jones, DP) and Existent(BFA Thesis 2018 Gabriel Valbuena, Dir./Nathan Cohen, DP) are finalists in the American Society of Cinematographers Student Heritage Awards to be held October 11-12 in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to https://theasc.com/news/asc-invites-educators-to-propose-2019-student-heritage-awards-nominees.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was awarded Best Actor in a Short and Best Actress in a short at the Tampa Bay Screams horror convention, August 23-25. For more information about this convention, go to http://www.gatorbladefilms.com/tampabayscreams.net.html.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Stuff MX Film Festival in Mexico City, November 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://stuffilmfest.wix.com/stuff-film-festival.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay International Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, October 4-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.tiglff.com<http://www.tiglff.com>.

Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) was selected for screening at Awareness Fest in Los Angeles, October 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to healoneworld.org.

What We Had (BFA F3 2019 Aaron Brooks) was selected for screening at Out on Film in Atlanta, September 26 – October 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.outonfilm.org/<http://www.outonfilm.org/>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming), Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), The Eye of the Needle (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer) and Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella) are all nominated for Best University Film and Ya’ke Smith Award for College Filmmaker of the Year at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the Cannes Short Film Festival in France, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.cannes-shorts.com/.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Newark International Film Festival, September 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://newarkiff.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez), Paradise Village (BFA Thesis 2019 Andrew Landreville), The Prize at the Bottom (BFA F3 2019 Annika Ciul), Giddy (MFA D2 2018 Jameel Karim) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol/Alex McFry) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Orlando, September 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) was selected for screening at the Silver State Film Festival in Las Vegas, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://silverstatefilmfestival.com/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Salt Lake City, September 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com>.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Academy International Student Film Festival in St. Augustine, September 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://flfilmacademy.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the MECCAcon International Film Festival in Detroit, September 19-21. For more information about this con, go to https://www.facebook.com/MECCAconIndieFilmFest/.

Mercy (MFA D2 2018 Nathaniel Price) was selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Royal Starr Film Festival in Royal Oak, Michigan, September 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.royalstarr.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go tohttps://www.tinff.net/.

Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Reformed and Retweeted (BFA Documentary 2018 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on September 26. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.com<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Trans Stellar Film Festival in Detroit, September 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.transstellarfilmfestival.com/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) and The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the NOLA Horror Film Fest in New Orleans, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.neworleanshorrorfilmfestival.com/.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis/Will O’Neal) is a semi-finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.queencityfilmfestival.org.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival of Nashville, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://ibffnashville.com.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.