[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 10.17.22

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 17 14:17:52 EDT 2019

Congratulations to  Jazalena Jones (BFA 2)!    The ASC announced this year’s Student Heritage Award winners at a ceremony held at the historic ASC Clubhouse on the night of Saturday, October 12. Three student filmmakers were singled out from 12 nominees for demonstrating exceptional cinematography skills in their submitted work. Jazleana Jones won the  Haskell Wexler Student Documentary Award for King, Charles

Froom Blake Taylor (BFA 06) “For the better part of this year, I’ve had the immense pleasure of writing on the 2nd season of CHARMED on The CW... and wouldn’t ya know it? We premiere tonight!  Season 2 begins an all new adventure for The Charmed ones, so don’t sweat it if you haven’t seen Season 1.”  NOTE:  And Brandi Bradburn Holland (MFA 99) directed this episode!

From Zac Sieffert (MFA 02) “Last year I ended my career as a union 1st AC as A-cam 1st on Green Book. A great project to go out on. I since have re-classified as a Camera Operator and have been very fortunate, landing gigs with seasons 2 & 3 of AMC's Preacher, seasons 1 & 2 of Marvel's Cloak & Dagger and USA's Queen of the South. Then I got an amazing opportunity for be the B-camera Operator on Kevin Smith's Jay & Silent Bob Reboot this past winter. That movie premiers Oct 15th. And to top it off, i just wrapped production on USA Network's series The Purge Season 2 as the A Camera Operator. It was a great experience and an insane ride with nearly all handheld camerawork. The show also premiers Oct 15 on USA (going to be a busy Oct 15th). Had a good time shooting it in the very hot and humid New Orleans summer.”

From Gabe Valbuena (BFA ADA 18) “I have been working freelance and getting started on developing several projects for the past several months, I actually just finished an interview yesterday and was offered a contract working with Ingenuity Studios in Hollywood. In speaking with them and getting to know their people and facilities, the Studio seems to be a welcoming and collaborative environment where I can continue to grow as a storyteller and artist, and where I can help others as well in developing their own ideas and projects. In the time since having graduated last year, I feel that I have refreshed myself and am looking forward to moving onward.”

From Nina Juliano (MFA 06) “This fall has been busy for my festival short "Little Sicily." Our festival world premiere at the Salento International Film Festival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/salentofilmfestival.com__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xJS4sFL4$> in Italy went really well, we then had a packed screening at the Corti in Cortile Film Festival <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.cortiincortile.it/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xM7c5gYI$> in Sicily where we were nominated for Best Short Film, and we won the award for Best Short Film at the Oniros Awards<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/onirosfilmawards.com/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xa17Za7A$>, also in Italy. If you're in the Northeast in October, here are some more opportunities to check out the film: Thursday night Oct 17 at the First State Film Festival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/First-State-Film-Festival-401733163763558/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xQw75apA$> in Delaware where we are nominated for multiple awards, Thursday night Oct 24 in NYC at Village East Cinema for the Female Voices Rock FF<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.eventbrite.com/e/female-voices-rock-film-festival-tickets-73896641845?aff=efbeventtix&fbclid=IwAR3PwWNOK3JS6kyIh4Kkzt6tVucwDSdO5eDARNBEkyb00kDaNc2HLX1_7Ic__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xdlzOs-Y$>, and Sunday Oct 27 in Delaware at Roberto Hall for our Friends of Italian Culture<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/wilmFIC/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0x_30nRNU$> sponsored screening (tickets are free to this event). Check out our social media pages for screenings and info! (Facebook<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/facebook.com/littlesicilyfilm__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xSOL3z5I$> / Insta<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/instagram.com/littlesicilyfilm__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0x3zO_wUo$>) Hope to see some friendly faces there! FSU alums who worked on this film with me are: Bryan Yokomi '06 - editor, Sherwin Lau '06 - colorist, Lucie Rouche and Brad Hawkins '06 - visual effects.     Also, I work a lot with Bird House Productions (http://www.bhprod.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.bhprod.com/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mnj7QjiC8wqH4NothPBWCCzBt8aZGBTp-3xW31XBsuTR3guhE7lkBS0xpZaYd2M$>) in Houston now, so if anyone has productions to shoot in Houston, this is the company I recommend as they do high quality work. “

From Martin  Thuernau (MFA Writing 19) “After ten days in LA, I miraculously landed a PA gig on set of James Arthur's new song "You" feat. Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker. Crazy times.”

Katherine Oostman (MFA 2017) directed the music video and BTS video of Sam Tsui and Ensemble Connect's "Bey-thoven" performance at Carnegie Hall. The epic mashup (involving a YouTube star and an 11 piece orchestra) was captured live and blended 9 Beyonce songs and 8 Beethoven compositions. The collaboration was made possible by Google Arts & Culture. You can watch the performance video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csLgmrhWvQ&feature=youtu.be<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csLgmrhWvQ&feature=youtu.be__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!lBGUTnWerehExT5D6pEzQaEvuP2LxipqOsVA0NVUpKsW6KEojma5UlChOqExec4$> And the BTS video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs1zgzbljX0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs1zgzbljX0__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!lBGUTnWerehExT5D6pEzQaEvuP2LxipqOsVA0NVUpKsW6KEojma5UlChE6VgIIY$>

From Victoria Cragg Lora (BFA ADA 16) “I was VFX Producer (Big Lazy Panda VFX) on season 2 of Insatiable, which is now streaming on Netflix.  We were also asked to revamp their main title this season, and I was fortunate enough to produce and direct each main title card for all 10 episodes. “

Here’s a link to the newly posted Filmmaking Lecturer teaching position at Stephen F. Austin with qualified applicants:   https://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/5315

I am the assistant director for media relations in the Florida A&M Office of Communications and we are trying to recruit a videographer/photographer for the University. This is a full-time OPS position to serve as the University photographer. This person takes video and photos of the president and major events. We are looking for potential recruits. My number is 850-544-2675.

“Meresha is a musician who has charted multiple times on Billboard and other charts. She is releasing a cover version of Bob Marley’s “Is This Love” November 1 together the Movember, the international charity that benefits men’s health.  She just started a music video contest that might be of interest to your students and/or alums.  Entries are due between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30.  The winner of “Best Video” gets $250 + exposure across Meresha’s social media sites.  All the info is here: meresha.com/video-contest”
Video Art / Animation Needed for TV Commercials on CBS. KAJ Gallery Contemporary Art of Naples, Florida is offering video artists the opportunity to win (up to 24) 10 second tv spots on the Naples CBS affiliate television station (Wink TV). International artists are encouraged to apply. It will be determined at the time of judging if artists are awarded more than 1 commercial spot. The theme is simply TelevisiArt, and any form of creative video will be considered. Please visit the link below to view the prospectus:  https://kajartgallery.com/televisiart-2020/
We had a great vacation, both had a little luck in Biloxi, which just happened to be on our way to Tucumcarie; we loved Santa Fe.  The Hot Air Balloon Festival in Albuquerque was totally amazing – everyone should try to do that!   Then we watched the Texas A&M Aggies play Alabama from a lovely box.   I am a total fan of the Aggies fans – they have spirit and tradition beyond any I’ve seen anywhere.  Not too sad that the Aggies (Jimbo) lost!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – October 17, 2019

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis & Will O’Neal, Dir./Jazleana Jones, DP) won the Haskell Wexler Student Heritage Award at the American Society of Cinematographers Student Heritage Awards, October 11-12 in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go tohttps://theasc.com/news/asc-invites-educators-to-propose-2019-student-heritage-awards-nominees.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) were just notified they both won the NEXT UP! Young Filmmakers Competition at the Vero Beach Wine and Film Festival, that took place June 6-9. Part of this award is an invitation to shadow TV director Jeff Woolnough on the set of The Expanse in Canada. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://vbwff.com.

Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers) won Best Local Film at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/.

A Mind Apart (BFA F1 2018 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at Spooky Empire’s International Horror Film Festival in Orlando, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go towww.spookyempire.com<http://www.spookyempire.com>.

The Ivory Gate (MFA D1 2018 Joshwa Walton) is an official selection of BLOW-UP: Chicago International Arthouse Film Fest, November 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.blowupfilmfest.com<http://www.blowupfilmfest.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Lone Star Film Festival in Fort Worth, Texas, November 13-17. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://lonestarfilmfestival.com.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette), Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks), Flicker (BFA F3 2019 Brendan Arena), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) and Blue Skies (BFA Documentary 2019 Summer Schantz) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, November 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.jacksonvillefilmfestival.com.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the LA Comedy Festival, November 14-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.lacomedyfest.com.

Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley), Deer in the Limelight (BFA F3 2019 Zach Freeman), Lizard King (MFA D2 2019 Meredith Mansfield), All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas), and Think on These Things (BFA Documentary 2019 Keaton Kish) were selected for screening at the Kite Film Festival in Destin, Florida on November 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://850me.com/kite-film-fest/.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 10-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) was selected for screening at the Great Lakes Shorts Film Festival in Eerie, Pennsylvania, October 10-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.greatlakesshortsfest.com<http://www.greatlakesshortsfest.com>.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com>.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) and Your Hand in Mine (BFA F3 2019 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the New Hampshire Film Festival, October 17-20 in Portsmouth. For more information about this festival, go to nhfilmfestival.com.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Cine Miami Fest, October 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.cfilmfestivals.com/cine-miami-fest.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Muratore) was selected for screening at the Southern Screen Film Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana, November 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.southernscreen.org<http://www.southernscreen.org>.

A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Chinese Film Festival, October 25-27. For more information about this festival go to www.lacff.org<http://www.lacff.org>.

The Same Blue (MFA Thesis 2019 Wasly Castillo) and All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) were selected for screening at the Georgia Latino Film Festival in Norcross, October 17-20. For more information about this festival, go to http://georgialatinofilmfestival.org.

the things I love, for me (BFA F3 2019 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the Fatale Femme Film Festival in Brooklyn on October 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/fatalfemmefilmfest.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) were selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 17-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez) and Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) were selected for screening at Spooky Empire’s International Horror Film Festival in Orlando, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go towww.spookyempire.com<http://www.spookyempire.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the PA Indie Shorts Film Festival in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, November 2-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.paindieshorts.com<http://www.paindieshorts.com>.

Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol dir/Alex McFry wr&prod) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com<http://www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Stuff MX Film Festival in Mexico City, November 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to http://stuffilmfest.wix.com/stuff-film-festival.

For Lori (BFA Documentary 2019 Kelly Barnes/Evan Sparks) was selected for screening at the Fairhope Film Festival in Fairhope, Alabama, November 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.fairhopefilmfestival.org<http://www.fairhopefilmfestival.org>.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Grace Yao), Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu), Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and What We Had (BFA F3 2019 Aaron Brooks) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, November 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.jacksonvillefilmfestival.com.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening as Honorific Mentions at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine film festival in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico, November 18-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) and Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 20-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Happier (BFA Documentary 2019 Grace Yao) and Mistake (MFA D2 2018 Bailey Liu) were selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in West Covina, California, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go towww.cafilmfestival.com<http://www.cafilmfestival.com>.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) and Furtherance (MFA Thesis 2019 Chavez Caley) were selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.

Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening in the Kids First! consortium of festivals, December 27 – May 1. For more information about this festival consortium, go to www.kidsfirst.org.

Sex Toy (MFA D2 2019 Kyle Sahedeo) was selected for screening at Austin Revolution, next September 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was invited to screen at the Bogota Short Film Festival in Colombia, December 3-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.bogoshorts.com.