[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.28.19 and Great Give Update

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:19:46 EDT 2019

So will start with a Great Give update:  We are over a third of the way to our financial goal of $10,000 and of course we’d love to surpass that goal to build the endowment! Our other goal is to be able to show the University that our alumni care about us by greatly increasing our alumni participation in the Great Give.  Last year only 5% of our alumni participated – come on guys, I know we can do better than that! It’s not only the dollar amount that counts in this campaign; even a $5 contribution will help increase that percent!  Here’s the link:  http://spark.fsu.edu/project/667

Reminders about our upcoming Atlanta events:  Our Film Forum on Tuesday night @ 6:30pm at Crazy Legs Productions. A great opportunity to network and to learn about making a feature in the ATL area with CMPA Alum Matt Pope (MFA 05).  Also a FREE event. For more information and to register:
https://fsufilmforumatl2019.eventbrite.com

The College of Motion Picture Arts continues its partnership with the Atlanta Film Festival to present our annual KeyLight screening of a selection of student shorts from the BFA and MFA classes of 2018. Our screening takes place as part of the festival's Creative Conference on Wednesday, April 10th @ 6pm at The Plaza Theatre located at 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE. Tickets are *FREE* and go "on sale" March 21st through the Film Festival website www.atlantafilmfestival.com

After the screening, around 7:45pm-ish, we will be hanging out and catching up with local alumni and friends at Neighbor's Pub--just about a block or so down the street from the theatre at 752 C Highland Ave. NE. Come join us, we'd love to see you and hear what you have been up to. https://neighborsatlanta.com/

And one more ATL gathering:  *All Atlanta area alumni and friends - Our spring tour crew we will be gathering in the Marriott Marquis hotel bar, Pulse, the evening we arrive (Monday 4/8) at 9:30pm. Come join us – Dutch treat! This is another opportunity for us to catch up with you if you can't make the other week's events.*. Link to the hotel bar info: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-restaurants/atlmq-atlanta-marriott-marquis/pulse/71435/home-page.mi
marriott.com

From a Deadline Article:  LA-based, China-backed finance and production outfit Cristal Pictures<https://deadline.com/tag/cristal-pictures/> has set director Eva Jin<https://deadline.com/tag/eva-jin/> (MFA 03)   (Sophie’s Revenge) to helm female buddy action comedy Twin Blades<https://deadline.com/tag/twin-blades/>. Rising Chinese actress Ma Li<https://deadline.com/tag/ma-li/> has also boarded to star. Cristal is co-producing along with The Donners’ Company’s Lauren Shuler Donner<https://deadline.com/tag/lauren-shuler-donner/> and President Jack Leslie. Production is slated for the second quarter of 2019 in Hong Kong and mainland China with Cristal and Wanda Media<https://deadline.com/tag/wanda-media/> co-financing.

Congratulations to Sara Bennett Crowley (BFA 04) who is Production Manager on Pinocchio!
From Jason Benoit (BFA 06) “I run director Luke Greenfield's company, WideAwake. Luke is directing and we're finishing work on the script together now and then off to prep and shoot in New Mexico filming this summer in Santa Fe. One of the leads is being played by Luis Gerardo Mendez. Currently casting the co-lead.  Just got word our movie has been greenlit by Focus Features. Film is called "Half Brothers."  I’m 9.”also working on a project t at Sony that Amy Paschal (Into the Spiderverse) is producing and that we’re currently Luke & I rewriting called The Last Bachelor. So it’s been a busy start to 2019.”
Tom Mikota (Faculty CMPA Animation) and an interdisciplinary group of students from around FSU campus (Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Computer Science, Scientific Computing, Fine Arts) have spent the last 3 months creating a startup as an experimental class in "Entertainment Entrepreneurship".   They will be displaying their finished product - a VR location scouting application - at the Accelerate Festival at the Smithsonian Institute April 5-8th.  As part of their course work they created a working application, marketing plan, business plan, market research, and ran focus groups with potential users (FSU Faculty and students).  They've created a functional website as well as social media presence, and will be executing their marketing plan on these platforms by the beginning of April.  This class has shown that it's possible to mimic a real world production environment within the classroom and do it at an incredibly accelerated pace.   www.vrlocationscout.com<http://www.vrlocationscout.com> is the website.   They will be showing their work as part of the  ACCelerate — Creativity and Innovation Festival — April 5-7, 2019, held at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington DC.

The Tallahassee Film Festival, https://tallahasseefilmfestival.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tallahasseefilmfestival.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=3fONIBNrwbm9jAy-YqByOj6cNxuRqQLQcKvIgizhyfA&s=E1QmjRMBCVhaJQPWz0XoQoecKbW23flnTZmi2iCD7ps&e=> will be happening at the SLC theater Saturday and Sunday, as well as in All Saints District at All Saints Cinema and Mickee Faust Clubhouse. Some highlights, among some 30 screenings and events, include Dan Deacon's Saturday night DJ set at The Wilbury (11 p.m.), the Saturday night genre double-feature at SLC ("Starfish" and "Body at Brighton Rock") and the closing night spotlight, Khalik Allah's "Black Mother," also at SLC, with a post-show Q&A with the filmmaker. Another can't-miss is "Hail Satan?", the hilarious and provocative Sundance doc about the Satanic Temple, also at SLC. All SLC shows are free for students (obviously) and otherwise tickets are $10, or passes are $35. Full schedule and other info is at the website.
Congratulations to Logan Rees (BFA 11) whose Half Hour Pilot Dead Humans has made it to the Quarter Finals in the Blue Cat competition!
And to Matthew McCarthy (BFA 01) whose script The Tribunal is a Finalist in the Fresh Voices Screenplay Competition, and also in the category  for Best Ensemble Cast and in competition for the Humanitarian Award!  And to Ivo Huahua (MFA 16) who is also a finalist with his short script Lollipops.
From Livia Ohihoin (BFA 18). “Currently I'm creating the Jewelry and Choreography for a short film as well as working as a companionship care giver to artistic elder adults in NY.”

From Jeffrey Lerner (MFA 94). “I had the wonderful opportunity to work with an amazing filmmaker, passionate storyteller and fellow FSU Film School Alumni, Barry Jenkins (BFA 03), on his masterful, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK. It is now on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download today. We recorded Barry's director's commentary on the day the Golden Globe nominations were announced. He was cool, collected and ultimately delivered one of the most insightful and generous commentaries I've ever been involved with. I also produced a 27 minute behind the scenes documentary edited by the fabulous Ron<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_TheRonster-3F-5F-5Ftn-5F-5F-3D-252CdK-2DR-2DR-26eid-3DARBQE6o5kU5kN160-2DogoVu8tAs5NlGLopie9HgV2qURcf5OHSg7gdwqT3eEBsGx6FaZ2awRSkwkReyiG-26fref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=z7Rn3Yj7qnc1zmwY2aTywcOaawlJueIrv3UqA6mvBZ0&s=msCgIjnk8lgp0fXLxEyYapJlhtwUWkVhySGQ0TYZ1RE&e=>Khoury at Film Solutions. If you haven't seen this film yet, you really need to. It deserves your attention and admiration.”

From Arielle Heiman (BFA 18). “I’m working as a staff video editor and ingest operator for Fox Nation, Fox News’ new streaming service. For the most part I do assistant editing work for their documentaries and edit promos and trailers.”

And another Soapbox milestone, Airdorf  has made a video game of The Wind!

Zoe DeLeon (MFA Writing 18) is currently assistant to Andrew Williams (BFA 98) at Soapbox!  Zoe is also doing freelance work as a script reader – you can contact her at zmdeleon at gmail.com<mailto:zmdeleon at gmail.com>

Do you have the next hit TV show idea?  Pitch your idea in LA, the center of the TV industry, at #Formagination<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/formagination?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCoX9gV_26UaIB14Fd27uJRrPmqULEaFkEZzh133PXgdoxfWstsP2cYXkG2IXu9jU6PHdCbuYXyAyB8UeUzamc5DFPV87qrB1eBFCr278FxyR6qPZlrTcqW_9-4g9RlUqS5qrfKHL7iJrMGp3j6HxJjvPB2oa5lFnXzENKrUosz8hDlS5vHcySJ0WteFAKiGXkLn9G-15GHpjBXreUra2-KAggZ8mj28-rkTnK0g490vEapR4Ft6gvTL63VONrvgFLVwFZZwDufa5NEkbkwXij8yHznggNuxuDGz12Wx4xCqGsRK_9HTb0DBpTngHWTuqnMqA2ibp8aySX6FeHGfcqNVUBUfLUEINiaqFJOvf-DRcM6U_zUJDn5_YxBpqZ29KejkafYosVElhYMXw&__tn__=%2ANKH-R> at Realscreen<https://www.facebook.com/realscreen/?__tn__=KH-R&eid=ARAkWnxP-d-bpGIz-VS-l_bfpB3P-wcUvc5C9Up47PIDIWYmTpP_So0Vvf0-veRn-blZmGoEyVpLKlm_&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCoX9gV_26UaIB14Fd27uJRrPmqULEaFkEZzh133PXgdoxfWstsP2cYXkG2IXu9jU6PHdCbuYXyAyB8UeUzamc5DFPV87qrB1eBFCr278FxyR6qPZlrTcqW_9-4g9RlUqS5qrfKHL7iJrMGp3j6HxJjvPB2oa5lFnXzENKrUosz8hDlS5vHcySJ0WteFAKiGXkLn9G-15GHpjBXreUra2-KAggZ8mj28-rkTnK0g490vEapR4Ft6gvTL63VONrvgFLVwFZZwDufa5NEkbkwXij8yHznggNuxuDGz12Wx4xCqGsRK_9HTb0DBpTngHWTuqnMqA2ibp8aySX6FeHGfcqNVUBUfLUEINiaqFJOvf-DRcM6U_zUJDn5_YxBpqZ29KejkafYosVElhYMXw> West 2019! Submission are open now for the best non-scripted format ideas!
https://west.realscreen.com/2019/formagination/<https://west.realscreen.com/2019/formagination/?fbclid=IwAR3plFaXpB60I14ARQhsLbYCnIvH43htJLh_t11vocAy-BPQqxBJiN8VlKo>

My husband and I will be joining some friends for a winey Pensacola Beach weekend.  Really looking forward to it.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 28, 2019

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was awarded Third Place in the Student Film category at the NC Black Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina, March 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blackartsalliance.org/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was awarded Audience Choice, Best College Short at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 19-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin/Carolina Beguiristain) was selected for screening at the Harlem International Film Festival in New York City, May 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to http://harlemfilmfestival.org/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the OUTshine Film Festival – Miami Edition, April 18-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.OUTshinefilm.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.outshinefilm.com._&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=uK3FeI3vlbQ4FYicZ5zucs7IOsWs9goiwQp-zETy6qc&s=jHdaVlEoCF8w5L_hIucGJa5pdGrsHn_ZZHfv5zf883I&e=>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at Spring Out! Middle Tennessee LGBT+ Film Festival in Murfreesboro on April 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.mtsu.edu/mtlambda/LGBTplusCC.php.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li/Betty Jiang [ED]) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening and My Wife is a Chicken will win a Remi Award for Editing at Worldfest-Houston, April 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Reel Out Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, April 28 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go to http://reelout.org.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening in the online section of the Lift-Off Genre Festival, April 8-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Golden State Film Festival in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese Theaters, March 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.goldenstatefilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 29-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 29 – April 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocfilmfest.com<http://www.americandocfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Third Eye Film Festival in New York City, March 29-31. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.thirdeyefilmfest.com/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, April 4-7. For more information about this festival, go towww.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) are finalists in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films competition. The winners will be awarded in a ceremony on April 5. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) and Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Anthony DeNiro) were invited to screen at RavenCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.ravencon.com<http://www.ravencon.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) were selected for screening and will win a Remi Award at Worldfest-Houston, April 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org>.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on April 14. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) and The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com>.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, April 10-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com>.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was selected for screening at the Capital City Film Festival in Lansing, Michigan, April 11-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.capitalcityfilmfest.com.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) and Saving Blockbuster (BFA Documentary 2018 Wesley Hayes/Alex Ullom) were selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival, April 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org, FloridaFilmFestival.com.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Hill Country Film Festival in Fredericksburg, Texas, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hillcountryff.com.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom), My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol), Splinter (BFA F3 2018 Brady Holcomb) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Langston Hughes African American Film Festival in Seattle, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.langstonseattle.org/.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Fair Winds Veterans Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfarproductions.com.

The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella), Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Grandma Eunice (BFA Thesis 2018 Rob Bevis) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on April 27. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck),Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt), Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom) and Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) were selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Film Festival in Florida, April 30 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/bbsfilmfest/.

Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, May 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen)were selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.

The Dreamer (MFA D2 2010 Jamie Kassler) was selected for screening at the Damah International Film Festival in Tokyo, May 10-11. For more information about this festival, go towww.damahfilm.com/<http://www.damahfilm.com/>.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin/Carolina Beguiristain) was selected for screening at NewFilmakers New York, June 1 – August 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.newfilmmakers.com.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Cinema Soup Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 8th. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinemasoupfilmfest.com/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Pune Short Film Festival in Pune, India, June 7-11. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://marathichitrapatparivar.com/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 80 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.