[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.21.19

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:34:23 EDT 2019

This past week I have been emailing with alumni asking for volunteers to be class leaders to help us gear up for our 30th Anniversary year.  We want this to be a year of sharing alumni experiences culminating in a celebration in August of 2020.   We have mega classes still without a leader and are hoping you might be willing to help - renewing contacts with your classmates to help us generate photos, memories, etc., for various uses during the coming year.  We'd like to have a separate class leader for the MFA Writing  and Production classes, as well as for the BFA Production and ADA classes.  I can help you with email address for class members the leader(s) may not already have.   The leader(s) might also help us plan alumni related events or activities.  Will you do this – be a class leader to help us make this year an amazing celebration of our alumni and the Film School?   If so, please get back to me as soon as you can because we are ready to get this started!   Following are the classes without leaders:
BFA:  2014 through 2018,  2007, 2004 and 5, 2002, 1998 and 99,  1995 through 97
BFA ADA:  2017 and 18, 2015
MFA:  2016,  2011 through 14, 2006 through 2009, 2004, 1995 through 2002
MFA Writing:   2017/2009, 2007/6

Reminders about our upcoming Atlanta events:
Our Film Forum on Tuesday night @ 6:30pm at Crazy Legs Productions. A great opportunity to network and to learn about making a feature in the ATL area with CMPA Alum Matt Pope (MFA 05).  Also a FREE event. For more information and to register:
https://fsufilmforumatl2019.eventbrite.com

The College of Motion Picture Arts continues its partnership with the Atlanta Film Festival to present our annual KeyLight screening of a selection of student shorts from the BFA and MFA classes of 2018. Our screening takes place as part of the festival's Creative Conference on Wednesday, April 10th @ 6pm at The Plaza Theatre located at 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE. Tickets are *FREE* and go "on sale" March 21st through the Film Festival website www.atlantafilmfestival.com

After the screening, around 7:45pm-ish, we will be hanging out and catching up with local alumni and friends at Neighbor's Pub--just about a block or so down the street from the theatre at 752 C Highland Ave. NE. Come join us, we'd love to see you and hear what you have been up to. https://neighborsatlanta.com/

Kelsey Scott has been nominated for a Daytime Emmy as Outstanding Guest Performer in a Digital Drama Series (Giants)!
Big last week for Soapbox!  Body at Brighton Rock, Produced by Chris Alender (BFA 98), Executive Produced by Dave Smith (FSU COM), edited by Matt Blundell  (BFA 00) and Courtney Marcilliat (BFA 09) , screened at SXSW!  There is a fun review of Brighton Rock at https://www.slashfilm.com/body-at-brighton-rock- eview/?fbclid=IwAR09nCaGhnkkVtFzdOcJGkhCrBmShYBzLFIUGUD6HBEAxNvSiL3PAR5_H0E
And for those in Tallahassee Body at Brighton Rock will screen as part of the Tallahassee Film Festival, Saturday, April 6, 9:45 PM at the Student Life Center!
And The Wind, Produced by Chris Alender (BFA 97) , Executive Produced by Dave Smith (FSU COM),  written by Teresa Sutherland (MFA 12) who also Associate Produced,  Edited by Alex Amick (BFA 11) opens in theaters April 5.   Read the Indiewire article at https://tinyurl.com/y2ravo2h<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tinyurl.com_y2ravo2h&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=jXwWFCNENK_VK6rcfoCTqgwWW8yCVP-c-T9Z-fkhgiw&s=WR8gE4BXdy0P7-sCk2tKL2UoD38wFHvZUCHae4VaRAs&e=> and see the trailer  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhkm00zsS4

From Wes Ball (BFA 02) “busy times for us. We've been putting together this science experiment of a movie for about a year now. The studio asked me to take a look at the project a few years ago, but I only started considering it after our last movie finished.  Mouse Guard involves cute but bad-ass medieval fighting mice. It's part Campbellian hero’s journey, part epic family drama, with a touch of a martial arts flick thrown in for fun. Sounds crazy and it is. But it's shaping up to be pretty cool and the studio is super excited about it all. Cast is coming together and the plan is to shoot in May and release end of 2020.  It will be a fully digital mo-cap movie similar to Avatar and parts of Planet of the Apes. We're inventing new tech and processes everyday to make this thing so it's been a fun challenge. We're heavily leaning on advancements in the real-time graphics space which is super exciting on a geek level. Doing things no one has done or seen before. Real-time is going to be a big part of mainstream movie making in the future so I'd implore all those fresh students to keep their eyes on the space.”

From Rachel Shirley (BFA 15). “I recently started working as a assistant editor at Luna United in Huntington Beach, CA. Luna United is a post production facility that is part of GALLEGOS United, an advertising agency with a focus on the Hispanic market. Notable clients include Chick-Fil-A, Got Milk?, Comcast, NASCAR, and TurboTax. http://gallegosunited.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gallegosunited.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=-94ajPB0paiJ9YCGe-lVMb7_sR_ckV8IMePrw_SYbQE&s=IC9OutBV9xrbcQv-6rt0om6d0sZ_GuOWLBZJZ5key34&e=> As an assistant editor, my days are spent organizing client’s projects and working with producers and editors to make sure content is up to date and ready for impending deadlines.”

From April Billingsley (BFA 06). “I’ve got lots of great news! A film I am the lead in, “The Dark Red” screened at the Philip K Dick Science Fiction Film Festival this past Saturday and will be screening again in April at the Richmond International Film and Music Festival. And, we are in another really cool festival that I’m not allowed to announce yet. Also, another film I am in, “Mommy Group Murder”, premiered on Lifetime this weekend. It will be on Lifetime again Saturday March 23rd at 6/5c. Finally, I’m acting in and helping to produce this really beautifully written short film called Blood Rust with Brackish Films, who I love because in all their projects at least half the crew are women and people of color fill above the line leadership positions. Our Seed and Spark funding campaign is now live. I am so proud to be attached and hope we’ll meet our goal so that we can bring this script to life 💛 www.seedandspark.com/fund/blood-rust<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__aprilbillingsley.us1.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3D559cdd624395ee24ffa1956a7-26id-3D8d96ec4a0a-26e-3D7182f66ef5&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=S9Xmx5coNwlrqWyBxDvAR0ZDF6Ltd1AJTzBhGgUTL8g&s=MuVw3jttEBEEVYuRj-29DUWBBbhSOc7sPexMs_DQWqM&e=>

Erika Stone,  who teaches acting for the camera for the Film School, will be in Other Desert Cities, playing at the Studio Space at Theatre Tallahassee, March 21 through April 7.   $12 tickets can be purchased at https://theatretallahassee.showare.com

From Julie Hotz (MFA 07) “I recently started producing and hosting a podcast called UN/ROOTED:   UN/ROOTED is a podcast about home––the places we find ourselves living in and moving through, literally and figuratively, expected and unexpected, temporarily and long term. It touches on belonging, homesickness, gentrification, borders, the history of the places we love, and a lot more. What does home mean to you?  In season one I take the audience on a cross country move, explore homesickness, embrace a new city, weather unexpected surprises, and become comfortable with uncertainty and new transitions. Woven into each episode are conversations about home, with friends near and far, and home stories of people across the country and the globe.   The truth is that I ingest podcasts more than any other storytelling medium, largely due to the fact that I can listen to them while taking walks. Plus, I always loved sound design in film school, and I've enjoyed reaching back into the world of audio! Also, I recently moved to Austin due to my partner's job, so now I work as a local in both LA + Austin, camera operating and doing a variety of multi-media creative work.   // Web<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.juliehotz.com_unrooted&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=tc_Vvytm13zI6LdTWN0mbMim0NDqSuSeAhdY95UQ0SQ&e=> // Stitcher<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.stitcher.com_podcast_unrooted-3Frefid-3Dstpr&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=37TVRTuVXsbnnLpsowITVz_E0Wow_9_5CuL_Y15XBjU&e=> // Spotify<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__open.spotify.com_show_5JbXTHbBTTgyFuGnfv8MkU-3Fsi-3DbNdyX4WPTGGwxDcQ-5Fjii-2Dw&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=r_SLyx4eGjIwDPg5i2_U3UMaB7IIsErB9B_rnN0XKE4&e=> // ApplePodcasts<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__itunes.apple.com_us_podcast_unrooted_id1454334484-3Fmt-3D2&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=Zz0LStAB4MCxt8oEKgDx8HFjXUB8kKKk-_lpTvDSm-k&e=> // PocketCasts<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pca.st_6Q3e&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=0YTRBkDecmFy7JwG1X0o88gPqszQoviF7AUVt1usQis&e=> // TuneIn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tunein.com_podcasts_Philosophy-2DPodcasts_Unrooted-2Dp1207676_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=X-S8COPEgp8KNgZtDD97FE7DgArCl5Fx80vOwc8jXX8&s=hCXuJGckPaVSRZpQYgMtTXRa-KrCe7vXrLr573Ibj8U&e=> // and everywhere you listen to podcasts!//

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 21, 2019

The Dreamer (MFA D2 2010 Jamie Kassler) was invited to screen at the Damah International Film Festival in Tokyo, May 10-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.damahfilm.com/<http://www.damahfilm.com/>.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Cinema Soup Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 8th. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinemasoupfilmfest.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on April 14. For more information about this festival, go to https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at NewFilmakers New York, June 1 – August 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.newfilmmakers.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Pune Short Film Festival in Pune, India, June 7-11. For more information about this festival, go to http://marathichitrapatparivar.com/.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Hill Country Film Festival in Fredericksburg, Texas, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hillcountryff.com.

The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci), The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 YuYing Chien) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 19-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected as a Semi-Finalist at the NC Black Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina, March 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blackartsalliance.org/.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Golden State Film Festival in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese Theaters, March 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.goldenstatefilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 29-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 29 – April 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocfilmfest.com<http://www.americandocfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Third Eye Film Festival in New York City, March 29-31. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.thirdeyefilmfest.com/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, April 4-7. For more information about this festival, go towww.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) are finalists in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films competition. The winners will be awarded in a ceremony on April 5. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) and Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Anthony DeNiro) were invited to screen at RavenCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.ravencon.com<http://www.ravencon.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) were selected for screening and will win a Remi Award at Worldfest-Houston, April 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org>.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) and The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com>.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, April 10-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com>.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was selected for screening at the Capital City Film Festival in Lansing, Michigan, April 11-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.capitalcityfilmfest.com.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) and Saving Blockbuster (BFA Documentary 2018 Wesley Hayes/Alex Ullom) were selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival, April 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org, FloridaFilmFestival.com.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom), My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol), Splinter (BFA F3 2018 Brady Holcomb) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Langston Hughes African American Film Festival in Seattle, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.langstonseattle.org/.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Fair Winds Veterans Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfarproductions.com.

The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella), Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Grandma Eunice (BFA Thesis 2018 Rob Bevis) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on April 27. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck),Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt), Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom) and Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) were selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Film Festival in Florida, April 30 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/bbsfilmfest/.

Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, May 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen)were selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 80 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.