[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.7.19

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 7 14:48:43 EST 2019

We had an amazing week in LA last week, great screening and Film Forum (thanks to Chris Alender and Dave Smith at Soapbox)  and chances to catch up with lots of alumni.   Now on to the next one:

Join us at Crazy Legs Productions for a moderated conversation, followed by Q&A, with local independent filmmaker Matt Pope (MFA 05) and Atlanta actor Bethany Anne Lind. We'll discuss Matt's journey from first draft to festival in the making of his newest feature, Blood On Her Name, in which Bethany plays a woman whose panicked decision to cover up an accidental killing spins out of control when her conscience demands she return the dead man’s body to his family.  Tue, April 9, 2019 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT, Crazy Legs Productions, 1429 Fairmont Avenue Northwest #C, Atlanta, GA 30318.  No charge, event is free and open to the public, but you must register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fsu-film-forum-atl-2019-independent-filmmaking-in-atlanta-tickets-56734374040.  If you love these events and think they're a great way to meet up with old friends and network with new ones, you could make a donation at the time you register to show your appreciation and keep them going since these are completely funded by donations and volunteers.

I’d like to welcome our new Director of Development, Brett Lee. Brett joined us just in time for our Los Angeles Keylight Event and was able to meet with a number of you during our time out there.  Brett is a long time film buff who is excited to  learn about the actual filmmaking process.  He is a proud Florida State alum and graduated in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in Marketing. Shortly after this he joined the FSU Foundation and most recently was a development officer with the College of Arts and Sciences. Brett, his wife Katrina, and their one year old son Parker are thrilled to be a part of the Film School family and look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!

Mark Vargo, ASC, who is teaching cinematography at the Film School, will be in Mobile, AL, March 30 through April 3 shooting second unit work for Super Cool, a teen film.

Last week I indicated that Margaret Francois and Kasey Perrin (both MFA 2) were Semi/Quarter Finalists in the Scriptapalooza Contest.  Am happy to report that I missed Hannah JoBeth Roark (MFA2) who was also a Semi-Finalist in the  one hour drama category, with her script “Kenny’s Not Kenny Anymore.”

From Jeffrey Lerner (MFA 94). “The Independent Spirit Awards and The Oscars both recognized and celebrated the amazing work this past week of Florida State Film School Alumni Barry Jenkins, Adele Romanski, James Laxton, Joi McMillon and Nat Sanders on their film IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK.  Congratulations to all and the incredibly talented Regina King on her Best Supporting Actress Oscar! I'm very proud of these filmmakers and grateful to be able to help with the special features on the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release. Go Noles!”

From Ulrick (Wolf) Kraft (BFA 04) “So here’s an update on my novel, “Richly Drawn.” LOGLINE: Literary characters were supposed to be immortal. When Dracula and Dorothy Gale are murdered and erased from their books, the rules of fiction change, and a gumshoe must risk everything to prevent the annihilation of the realm of fiction.  It placed second in the Inkshares Mystery Competition back in December. While it didn’t reach the pre-order count to guarantee publication, placing second was an impressive feat – thanks in large part to the FSU Alumni. Then, in February, Inkshares reached out and let me know they had selected the book on merit, and “Richly Drawn” will now be published! That is an incredibly nice thing for an author to hear. “Richly Drawn” will be assigned an editor by May, and the editorial process will then begin. The book will go through notes, changes, rewrites and polishes. At Inkshares and at other publishers, this process usually takes more than a year – so for those of you who pre-ordered (a thousand-times thank you!) I’m afraid you’ll have to wait quite some time still to get your copy of “Richly Drawn.”  Also, the book should also be available for pre-order again soon – you can check it out and read sample chapters at: https://www.inkshares.com/books/richly-drawn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.inkshares.com_books_richly-2Ddrawn&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=dEKb98HF-tC9hJnczSwDvVFLcl85nYBpvxx3cBdXGlk&s=u5SR0ditMFGl4lLZ7Ch28UlCOwoTAC_CzVpGUaDUmjg&e=>  The editorial process helps a book reach its full potential, so it’s worth waiting for. I’m really excited to get started, and I’ll keep you posted as things moves along.”

From Lee Carlisle (MFA Writing 09) “I've joined the writing staff of NCIS: LA for the rest of Season 10 (and hopefully well beyond)! Quite happy to continue working with this incredibly talented team that includes fellow FSU grad Andrew Bartels (MFA 08). In addition, my first solo episode (which features music by fellow FSU alum Sam Beam (MFA 99)  of Iron & Wine) airs this coming Sunday 3/3 at 9:00 - hope you can check it out!

From Susan Bell (MFA 05) “Excited to announce that I am going to be part of the team for NASA JPL's Airborne Snow Observatory this spring. Currently flying on a King Air, it uses lidar and spectrometry to study snow pack melt for water management in the western U.S. I'll get to put much of my pilot knowledge to work helping plan flight lines and dealing with weather forecasts while operating our instruments. Grateful that I've been given this opportunity by the mission.  (Go here for more information about this project:  https://aso.jpl.nasa.gov/<https://aso.jpl.nasa.gov/?fbclid=IwAR3qzv0lAX0D1_gB7yi2CNbwYf5YIDfGu_Y73g3TQPhVDveZwB6zwqzE-D8>).  I won the U.S. national Sportsman Championship last Sept. It was the flying plus my outreach activities that got me on the snow mission. And of course I'll be taking photos and shooting video when I can.”

From Lydia Dullinger (BFA 15) “A few weeks ago I accepted the amazing opportunity to be Gail Mancuso’s assistant for post production on her feature, and I am so happy to be working for an amazing director like her. The sad half of that coin is that I had to leave my job with all folks I love so very much at Modern Family, but I am so lucky to have their support and friendship.”

From Mary Jeans (MFA16): “I've been working on editing a climbing short film for the American Alpine Club along with a friend and filmmaker Samuel Crossley about two bad-ass ladies who travel to rural Liming, China in order to establish new climbs. The AAC has released the film and I wanted to share it with fellow alumni!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jcWS--d0k “

From Andrew Hevia (BFA 06): “ I wanted to share the trailer for the film Carlos Rivera (BFA 07) and I have been working on. LEAVE THE BUS THROUGH THE BROKEN WINDOW will premiere this weekend March 9 and 10th at SXSW in Austin. Super excited for it obviously and if any alums are going to be at the fest, we'd love to see you at a screening.  You can check out the trailer here: https://theplaylist.net/leave-bus-broken-window-exclusive-trailer-20190305/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__theplaylist.net_leave-2Dbus-2Dbroken-2Dwindow-2Dexclusive-2Dtrailer-2D20190305_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MAPdkT5n4Sd_nQrEAC7Sc4hTobJKrhDLiOwcIBMfRNk&s=g-zkb3mePfCxB2Ym-hbaa4FJPjGlD2SuIuncU5F_o3g&e=> and find our screening schedule here: https://schedule.sxsw.com/2019/films/2008815<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__schedule.sxsw.com_2019_films_2008815&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=MAPdkT5n4Sd_nQrEAC7Sc4hTobJKrhDLiOwcIBMfRNk&s=bfLmQxkQR1lSiuW_avvZfbphcz1_2vteS_7pBgAQVDs&e=>

From Terry Beck (BFA ADA 18) “"I moved out to Los Angeles in late August of 2018 and, while working as a Freelance PA was certainly an exciting albeit rather uncertain lifestyle, I found myself constantly searching for new opportunities to grow and discover what I want to pursue. Well, after months of searching and applying, I'm ecstatic to report that I will be starting soon as a VFX Coordinator on CW's The Flash at Warner Bros. Entertainment! The people I've met there already are really cool and welcoming and, as a fan of the show, I could not be more excited to get to work in such an amazing environment! Very huge thanks to Justin Burt (BFA 17) and Jonathan Stone for all their help preparing me for this awesome opportunity!"

From Carrie Hunter ( 09) “Fellow FSU Film Alumni Lauren Bickers (BFA 06)  is shooting a short film in Panama City, FL and I'm helping her produce it for a few weeks. We are looking for an on set visual effects sup/data manager. It's paid, but low paid. We would love to hire someone here in the Southeast and are open to recent graduates.  We'll be shooting for four days within this period April 10-19 and are looking to see who's available in the area.  Please include VFX Sup in email subject if you are interested.  extracreditfilm at gmail.com<mailto:extracreditfilm at gmail.com>”

From Adam Schlachter (BFA 97) “Due to an emergency surgery, I recently lost my sound designer on a short documentary about the social activism and elections after the Parkland, Florida, high school shootings.  I was wondering if there are any current and recent students who might be interested in this opportunity. Would start immediately. Pix lock. Executive Producer won Sundance.  15 minute film. LA or Miami preferred but not required.”
From Don Morrison:  “Tampa Prep is a grade 6-12 independent school in Tampa, Florida enrolling almost 700 students. We are currently seeking a digital video instructor (beginning in the 2019-2020 academic year) for our very popular video program. Aside from technical expertise and a deep interest in teaching, candidates must be able to effectively manage and monitor students as they are producing videos on campus. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our program or our high-quality facilities and equipment. dmorrison at tampaprep.org<mailto:dmorrison at tampaprep.org>    NOTE.  If you want the complete position description just reply to this email and I’ll send it to you.”

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 7, 2019

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) won the Audience Award at the monthly HollyShorts screening in Los Angeles on February 28th.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 29-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom) and Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) were selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Film Festival in Florida, April 30 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/bbsfilmfest/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Langston Hughes African American Film Festival in Seattle, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.langstonseattle.org/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) are finalists in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films competition. The winners will be awarded in a ceremony on March 5. For more information about this showcase, go tohttp://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 80 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was selected for screening at the Capital City Film Festival in Lansing, Michigan, April 11-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.capitalcityfilmfest.com.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen)) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was invited to screen at the Sembene Film and Arts Festival in Pittsburgh on February 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.sembenefilmfestival.org/.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at Queer Screen’s Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney, Australia, February 13-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.queerscreen.org.au.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was invited to screen at the Sembene Film and Arts Festival in Pittsburgh on February 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.sembenefilmfestival.org/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the inaugural Cleveland Concoction in Aurora, Ohio, March 1-3. For more information about this festival, go towww.clevelandconcoction.org<http://www.clevelandconcoction.org>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Smoked (MFA D2 2017 Jonas Schubach), Cruisin’ (BFA F3 2018 Brandon Knack), The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour), AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Common Unity (BFA Documentary 2018 Josh Devaughn/Zach Freeman) and Harmony (BFA F3 2018 Tyler Kula) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Oklahoma Cine Latino Film Festival in Oklahoma City, March 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to http://historiccapitolhill.com/okcine-latino.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the inaugural monthly Dumbo Film Festival in Brooklyn, March 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dumbofilmfestival.com/.

Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube), Look Past (BFA F3 2018 Jessica Kirby), The Portrait (BFA F3 2018 Nicole Low), The Feeling of It (BFA Thesis 2018 Erin Smyth), The Girl and the Bird (BFA Thesis 2017 Emily Mills), Rein It In (BFA F3 2017 Kaia Irish) and Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) were invited to screen at a special Broward County Library event featuring women in animation titled “Colorful Language: Women in Animation” on March 9 in Coconut Creek, Florida.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) is nominated for a College Television Award (Student Emmys) in the Loreen Arbus Focus on Disabilities category. We know it’ll win because it’s the only nominee. The awards ceremony will take place March 16th in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.emmys.com/foundation/programs/cta.

The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci), The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 YuYing Chien) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 19-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Golden State Film Festival in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese Theaters, March 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.goldenstatefilmfestival.com/.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 29 – April 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocfilmfest.com<http://www.americandocfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Third Eye Film Festival in New York City, March 29-31. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.thirdeyefilmfest.com/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, April 4-7. For more information about this festival, go towww.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) and Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Anthony DeNiro) were invited to screen at RavenCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.ravencon.com<http://www.ravencon.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) and The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com>.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, April 10-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com>.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) and Saving Blockbuster (BFA Documentary 2018 Wesley Hayes/Alex Ullom) were selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival, April 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org, FloridaFilmFestival.com.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom), My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol), Splinter (BFA F3 2018 Brady Holcomb) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Fair Winds Veterans Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfarproductions.com.

The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella), Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Grandma Eunice (BFA Thesis 2018 Rob Bevis) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on April 27. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck), Doll It Up(MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, May 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.