[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 2.21.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:44:29 EST 2019

Reminders about all the Film School Events coming up:

Sunday, February 24, Oscar’s Party, Tallahassee.  On line ticket sales end tomorrow but tickets will be available at the door.  Come join us on our production sound stages, meet our faculty and students who will one day be receiving these awards to hopefully celebrate awards to films that our alums helped to make.  Go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-night-at-the-oscars-tickets-54608849539 for tickets and complete information.

Wednesday, February 27, Film Forum LA.  Hosted by Soapbox Films in Burbank, a moderated panel of independent filmmakers:  Shahrzad Davina, producer; Adam Hendricks, producer; Pip Ngo, Director of Sales & Acquisitions.  They will discuss development, financing, festivals and sales.  For complete information and to purchase tickets, go to https://tinyurl.com/y62kn3wb - there are still tickets available ($10).

Thursday, February 28, Screening, LA.  Held at Grauman’s TLC 6 Chinese Theatre, a screening of 9 Selected Student Shorts.  All Free tickets have be claimed; there is a wait list.  If tickets are unclaimed or a ticket holder does not show, any present waitlisted or waiting persons will be admitted in their place until all Film School free seats are filled.  Tickets are also for sale through the HollyShorts festival before the screening at the door the night of the event for $20.  Or join us following the screening for our reception.  Go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/keylight-los-angeles-tickets-54626356904 to get on the wait list or for complete information.

There will be a number of us from the Film School in LA for these events:  Reb Braddock, Andrew Syder, Valliere Richard Auzenne, Greg Marcks, Brenda Mills, Sabrina Reisinger and me.  We’ll be staying at the Roosevelt.   Hoping those of you who had classes with Vall will come to one of these events to wish her well on her retirement!  And of course we all look forward to catching up with our alums.   My phone is 850 524 0063 if you want to text me.

As part of FSU’s Profiles in Leadership the is a great article, and pictures, of our Fillm School leader Reb Braddock.   You can read the article at http://tinyurl.com/y2ypr2jl

From Jake Morgan (MFA Writing  16)  “ Matt Lopez (BFA 93)  is the Creator / Executive Producer  of GONE which is finally premiering in the United States. It'll start on Wednesday, February 27th at 9pm EST on WGN America. I was Writers' Assistant, then Showrunner's Assistant through post, and had a blast.  Matt was  also the Showrunner and wrote the first episode that airs on Wednesday.  Chris Noth is one of the leads, along with Leven Rambin (The Path, True Detective) and Danny Pino (Law & Order: SVU, Mayans M.C.).   Here's the IMDB page, if you want to take a look: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6483836/
And here's a piece from Deadline:
https://deadline.com/2019/01/gone-trailer-premiere-date-for-wgn-america-crime-drama-starring-chris-noth-1202535846/amp/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__deadline.com_2019_01_gone-2Dtrailer-2Dpremiere-2Ddate-2Dfor-2Dwgn-2Damerica-2Dcrime-2Ddrama-2Dstarring-2Dchris-2Dnoth-2D1202535846_amp_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=N69Ja_q1ecBNhkZHRoiAeoMDLRb_6siRfEcKfAVRKeI&s=-8FaO_h-HKcutqdq6eMRzZnairdFJkntGztrP1lo6W8&e=>

We are happy to welcome Alissa Nutting to our screenwriting faculty. She wrote the novel Made for Love, a New York Times editor's choice selection, and Tampa, the film version of which is in development at HBO, as well as the story collection Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls. She is currently at work on two television projects--one animated in development with Cartoon Network, the other based on her recent novel and being co-written with Dean Bakopoulos for Paramount Studios. With a Ph.D. in English from UNLV, she has been teaching at Grinnell College, Miami University and UNLV. Her work is off-kilter and sometimes controversial, and we're thrilled she chose to join us.

From Corey Womack (MFA Writing 12)   “I recently launched a short digital series through PBS Learning Media.  I shared some info about it on my Facebook wall. Right now we're kind of in the "proof of concept" phase and I need to get as many views as I can, so they let me keep doing it! I'd sure appreciate it if we could get it out to the FSU family.
https://aetn.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/talesofthenaturalstate/tales-of-the-natural-state-of-truth-and-belief/ “

Congratulations to Scriptapalooza Semi-Finalist Margaret Francois (MFA  2) for her one hour drama “Killing Eve, “Don’t Talk with Your Mouth Full”,  and to Quarter-Finalists One Hour Drama Killing Eve, Cute Shoes by Kasey Perrin (MFA 2), and Black Mirror “True Colors” by Barbara Soares (BFA 12).

In NY?   In NY?   Join Thomas Jackson’s (MFA ‘98) for the red carpet world premiere of his new documentary A Prayer for Compassion, on March 5th, at the SVA Theatre, 333 West 23rd Street<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D333-2BWest-2B23rd-2BStreet-2B-2C-2BNew-2BYork-2C-2BNY-2B10011-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=RZ7UBx-u-RmGoWJOarT6Oa5sMyExYHUPrSIRVxwzDZU&s=t31J1qc1pOUsatGUqU_UD8gJr1S28SN8t4hlN4-xzuo&e=> , New York, NY 10011<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D333-2BWest-2B23rd-2BStreet-2B-2C-2BNew-2BYork-2C-2BNY-2B10011-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=RZ7UBx-u-RmGoWJOarT6Oa5sMyExYHUPrSIRVxwzDZU&s=t31J1qc1pOUsatGUqU_UD8gJr1S28SN8t4hlN4-xzuo&e=>.  FREE general admission tickets to all the film school or FSU grads.  The feature-length film, which was recently selected by a plant-based publication as one of the 21 Must-Watch Vegan Documentaries that will inspire people to change the world in 2019, strives to motivate and encourage those already on a religious or spiritual path to expand their circle of compassion to embrace all life, regardless of species, and make choices in alignment with this value. It just won the Compassion Award at the Cinema Verde Festival last week.   For your free tickets.- email Carly (CarlyHirsch123 at gmail.com<mailto:CarlyHirsch123 at gmail.com>) and put "FSU comps" in the subject line. Include your  full name, a mobile phone number, and the number of tickets you’d like. Tickets are $17 general admission and Q & A, and $75 for a very special VIP ticket, which also features a catered, pre-screening reception.

There will be a celebration of life for Oronde E. Giddings (BFA 95) on Saturday, March 23, at  1:00 PM,  at the Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort, 2096 NE 2nd St., Deerfield Beach, FL. 33441. Please RSVP by March 1 by emailing Nicole Giddings at ng at lifeee.org<mailto:ng at lifeee.org>.  Please confirm how many will be attending and how many vegan or vegetarian meals are required.  Information on valet parking passes will be provide by email the day before the service.   The family is requesting donations.  Please send all donations to ng at lifeee.org<mailto:ng at lifeee.org>.  Please no flowers.  The family will be wearing all white with a hint of an Afrocentric color sash  in honor of Oronde.   Please feel free to wear white or off white.

Antonio Mendez’ film Life and Nothing More will be screening for the Tallahassee Film Society at All Saints Cinima, 918 Railroad Avenue in Talllahassee, Friday March 1 at 6 PM, Saturday March 2 at 7 PM and Sunday, March 3 at 5 PM.  General Admission $10; TFS Members and Students $7.

From Roger Ghaman (MFA96) “ Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend any of the FSU functions out here in the next week or so as I am starting a new job...which is I guess a fortunate thing.  Been busy lately.I worked on The Profit for CNBC, then spent 2 months on an MTV show; Game of Clones, that premieres tonight.  Next up is  editing a pilot for Nickelodeon.”

From Demetrius Martin (MFA 18):  “Since arriing in Atlanta in August,  I have worked as Production Sound Mixer for a BET commercial, Funny HER Friday’s with B. Simone. I’ve also worked on several corporate videos as well.  In late January, I wrapped on a Documentary about the mistreatment of the African American community Flint and its education system. We followed 2 brothers and how they experience daily trials but continue to push through adversity to follow their dreams of attending college and hoping for a better life for their family. In more recent activities, I recently working as ATR (Audio Tape Recorder) on 2 Music Videos for Jacquees and another video for J. Cole. Also had the opportunity to work with film school alum Kadeef Sanders (MFA 14)  on his short film, In Deferment.
Steven Wingate (MFA '91) has authored a novel set to be published April 1 by the University of Nebraska Press as part of its Flyover Fiction series, which is dedicated to the fiction of the Great Plains. Of Fathers and Fire is set in eastern Colorado in the summer of 1980 during the height of the Iran hostage crisis and the run-up to the Reagan presidency. Wingate, a creative writing professor at South Dakota State University, has also authored a book of short stories, a collection of prose poems, and various born-digital works. His website is http://tinyurl.com/y6nv2lpl

From Hali Gardella (BFA 10) “I’m line producing an indie feature that is filming in Stuart, FL in June and we're looking for local crew for the following positions. The production company is Faliro House (The Lobster, Only Lovers Left Alive, Before Midnight). It’s a lovely project and I’m so excited to be a part of it! To submit, please email me and include your resume & website: haligardella at gmail.com<mailto:haligardella at gmail.com>

1st AD
Locations Manager
Production Designer
Set Decorator
Prop Master
Costume Designer
1st AC
Media Manager/DIT
Gaffer
Key Grip
Script Supervisor
Sound Mixer
VFX Coordinator
Stunt Coordinator
Production Assistants
Interns (for college credit)

From Rakan Shaker (BFA 12) "Youvisit (that cool VR tech company I work for) is looking to add a part time Assistant Editor to our ranks. We're located in midtown NYC, and just moved to a beautiful new space! Ideally, we need someone 2-3 days a week, to help, organize footage, sync rough cut takes, and prep for VFX pipeline - you'll be working with 360 video, and footage that's being projected into panoramic space - so there's some fun skills to pickup along the way. Email me for more info, send along resumes!" Rakan Shaker <shaker.rakan at gmail.com>

From Jenavieve Varley (BFA 1) “Our crew of four BFA1 students will be filming some interviews in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Diego for our documentaries. We don’t have exact dates yet, but we’ll be there for a few days in mid-March. If any alumni would potentially be interested in helping us out with housing, or would like to meet up for lunch or coffee, please let us know! We can be reached at jenavievemv at gmail.com<mailto:jenavievemv at gmail.com>.”

Bento Box Animation Studios Atlanta is hiring! We are a division of Bento Box Entertainment located in Atlanta, GA seeking 2D Background Designers for the production of broadcast television and online animated series.  These openings are for in-house positions only; no remote freelancers are sought at this time.  Positions are considered full-time for the duration of the production and may extend to other projects as well.   The shows will start  end of April/early May.  We are looking for:

2D BACKGROUND DESIGNERS. All projects utilize ToonBoom Harmony. Experience in the software is preferred;  however, exceptional candidates new to the program are welcome to apply and will receive in-house training if selected.
2D CHARACTER SET-UP/RIG ARTISTS All production will be completed in ToonBoom Harmony. Proficiency in the software is required. This is a tech oriented position and qualified candidates should have the necessary artistic aptitude with an interest and skill for character rigging.
2D CHARACTER ANIMATORS  We are looking for talented 2-D Toonboom Harmony Character Animators for upcoming television series production. All positions are in-house only.
Please submit cover letters and resumes to jobs at bentoatl.com<mailto:jobs at bentoatl.com>, referencing the job  in the subject line.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – February 28, 2019

Reformed and Retweeted (BFA Documentary 2018 Siara-Lauren Brown) was awarded Best Documentary Film at the Southern Sunset Undergraduate Film Festival in Carrollton, Georgia on February 15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.westga.edu/academics/coss/mass-communications/undergrad-film-fest.php.

Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, May 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) and The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com>.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the inaugural Cleveland Concoction in Aurora, Ohio, March 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.clevelandconcoction.org<http://www.clevelandconcoction.org>.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin/Carolina Beguiristain) was selected for screening at the inaugural Battle of Film Schools film festival in New York City on February 23rd. For more information about this festival, go to http://katrafilmseries.com/2018/12/04/battle-of-film-schools/.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was invited to screen at the Sembene Film and Arts Festival in Pittsburgh on February 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.sembenefilmfestival.org/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 22-24. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) were selected for screening at Queer Screen’s Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney, Australia, February 13-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.queerscreen.org.au.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was invited to screen at the Sembene Film and Arts Festival in Pittsburgh on February 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.sembenefilmfestival.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Smoked (MFA D2 2017 Jonas Schubach), Cruisin’ (BFA F3 2018 Brandon Knack), The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour), AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Common Unity (BFA Documentary 2018 Josh Devaughn/Zach Freeman) and Harmony (BFA F3 2018 Tyler Kula) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 1-3. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Oklahoma Cine Latino Film Festival in Oklahoma City, March 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to http://historiccapitolhill.com/okcine-latino.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the inaugural monthly Dumbo Film Festival in Brooklyn, March 8-9. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.dumbofilmfestival.com/.

Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube), Look Past (BFA F3 2018 Jessica Kirby), The Portrait (BFA F3 2018 Nicole Low), The Feeling of It (BFA Thesis 2018 Erin Smyth), The Girl and the Bird (BFA Thesis 2017 Emily Mills), Rein It In (BFA F3 2017 Kaia Irish) and Hedge Hero (BFA Thesis 2016 Lauren Hammond) were invited to screen at a special Broward County Library event featuring women in animation titled “Colorful Language: Women in Animation” on March 9 in Coconut Creek, Florida.

Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) is nominated for a College Television Award (Student Emmys) in the Loreen Arbus Focus on Disabilities category. We know it’ll win because it’s the only nominee. The awards ceremony will take place March 16th in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.emmys.com/foundation/programs/cta.

The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci), The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 YuYing Chien) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 19-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Golden State Film Festival in Los Angeles at the TCL Chinese Theaters, March 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.goldenstatefilmfestival.com/.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 29 – April 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocfilmfest.com<http://www.americandocfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Third Eye Film Festival in New York City, March 29-31. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.thirdeyefilmfest.com/.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, April 4-7. For more information about this festival, go towww.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) and Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Anthony DeNiro) were invited to screen at RavenCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.ravencon.com<http://www.ravencon.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, April 10-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com>.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) and Saving Blockbuster (BFA Documentary 2018 Wesley Hayes/Alex Ullom) were selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival, April 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org, FloridaFilmFestival.com.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom), My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol), Splinter (BFA F3 2018 Brady Holcomb) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Fair Winds Veterans Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfarproductions.com.

The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella), Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Grandma Eunice (BFA Thesis 2018 Rob Bevis) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on April 27. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu), Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.