[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.24.19

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Sat Aug 24 13:20:50 EDT 2019

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA97) “It is with much gratitude that I share this news - '1982' will have its World Premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival TIFF<https://www.facebook.com/TIFF/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARDHf7PM3owmDLN7Qnr5jZTUb1CnjdqFGmExP098Wt8Q_NsHzi5B6xowbpPa2cVk1RZhZbmcQF7poodZ&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDtHhufHKODaUPDvOSNoM_pGkxQ1OlFByF6cEfQ1Cuk1CcI09z2whYsqq413OnJtXbwgo98KmUsOH3iV1CzrxImnm01aBUzTmYn-vfhCgPF-8x63NclGTqd61gkc2JwTn5IrE9PJWoL2z5gg2tg0dlxa_SDlTyOpmiA0q9VmcRWv3MeDfj6GtGQnGhlyfGa6VWVGDWjkKOhXJKzbA> Discovery in September. I'm still finishing the film with a week or so to go. I look forward to sharing this work with you and the world - It's thanks to the faith, trust, support, participation and convergence of some wonderful creative forces in Lebanon and the world that we're here.  The festival's schedule and screening dates will be announced on 8/20 -https://bit.ly/2TFKAlS”

From Kadeef Sanders (MFA 14) “I'll be going to Austin for a screening of my most recent film at the Capital City Black Film Festival (Jordan Lewis my DP and alumnus MFA 2014 may also tag along).  The festival just gave me my screening times, and my project "In Deferment" will be screening between 9am - 1pm and again between 3pm - 7pm on 09/01/19. “

From Catherine (Boyd) Hurd (MFA 94) “A children's musical that I wrote book and lyrics for, (Rumpelstiltskin and the Game of the Name)? was nominated for 13 Elly Awards, including best script. The Ellys are theater awards for the Sacramento, CA region, which is where I lived before moving to Tennessee. The show was put on at the Woodland Opera House, about 20 miles from Sacramento.  http://sarta.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/2019MediaListEllyNominationsEMBARGO.pdf
Chuck Allen’s (Film School Head of Post Production) wife, Julie, passed away very unexpectedly on July 6.  On September 15, in Homer, Alaska, Julie’s favorite place on earth, second home and spiritual center, the annual Burning Basket ceremony of remembrance and unburdening. will be in part dedicated to her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDC2R5S3Es

Chuck will be going to the ceremony and will be taking with him remembrance cards from relatives and friends that will be attached to the huge basket built with local organic materials before it is burned on the evening of 9/15.  Rather than giving your sympathies directly to Chuck, if you want to send me the words you’d like to say to him, I’d put them on a card for him to attach to the basket.  Words would need to be to me by September 5.  Or, if you’d like, you could send a donation in Julie’s memory to the Bunnell Street Arts Center in Homer, Alaska https://bunnellart.z2systems.com/np/clients/bunnellart/donation.jsp?campaign=23&&test=true

From Marty Lang (MFA 04): Wonderful news - I just wrapped principal photography on my new movie! It's a feature drama called STAY WITH ME, and I co-wrote, directed and produced it, along with acting in a supporting role. We're just getting into post now, so it'll still be a ways until it's done, but it's been an incredible ride making my second feature.

I'll also have plenty of help finishing the movie, too - because I'm teaching again! I accepted a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Film position at the University of Central Arkansas, and I moved out to Conway, AR this week. I'll be teaching graduate and undergraduate screenwriting and production classes here, along with getting a film workforce development program up and running in Arkansas, like I did in Connecticut. I'll still be in LA for the summers and breaks (especially once STAY WITH ME is done), but I really wanted to get back into teaching full time. I'm grateful for the opportunity.”

Check out the Variety article “Pinewood Group to Exit Atlanta Studios Joint Venture<https://variety.com/2019/film/news/pinewood-group-exit-atlanta-studios-joint-venture-1203308979/>”
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/pinewood-group-exit-atlanta-studios-joint-venture-1203308979/

And a quote from Frank Patterson re the Pinewood change: “ This officially marks the expansion of our business into content. Stand by for news about the first round of investments we’ve made into content companies, which will bring even more production to GA...of our own making!”

From Roger Ghaman (MFA 96) “Hard to believe it's now been 25 years since I was on that soundstage in Sarasota, starting grad film school, meeting new people, making some friends for life, wondering how things would turnout, etc...   Crazy!2 days after landing back home, I started editing on the new Heidi Klum/Tim Gunn show "Making the Cut".  It will stream on Amazon Prime in 2020.”   Took me a while to get over the jet lag.  Definitely needed more time to adjust.”

Film Florida Podcast Episode 11- FSU College of Motion Picture Arts. Jonathan Stone & 'Life and Nothing More' Writer, Producer and Director Antonio Mendez Esparza discuss what makes the Florida State University College of Motion Picture Arts one of the best film schools in the country.  Go here to listen:  https://filmflorida.org/podcast/episode-11-jonathan-stone-antonio-mendez-esparza/

From Will Sampson (BFA 09) “Hey everyone, FSU roll call here. We have an all female FSU group of amazing comedians performing August 24th at 8pm at the Colony Theatre. It is a great opportunity and we need to go show support and fill some seats! Tickets are $35 and include a drink, use code SOFUNNY for a serious discount! This event will take place after the FSU kickoff party at the Woodman so come out to both and show your support for your FSU family. https://m.ovationtix.com/pe.c/10431018

From George Reasner (MFA 94) “It's been a busy summer around LA. In June I lit & shot a series of in-studio music videos for the Vitamin String Quartet. Their new album is a huge cross-section of rock & pop covers from Metallica to Daft Punk to Adele to INXS and more. Mid-July I was brought back by the LA Philharmonic and the LA Dance Project to light & shoot a single live performance of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. We did a full show last Fall in the Disney Concert Hall downtown LA; this time we had to light & shoot a shortened version all around the iconic Hollywood Bowl. Crazy and fun and a big hit.  In August I jumped back into the director's chair for the team from FAY Creations, who had me directing before on their sitcom pilot Thanks for Trying. This time around we shot a limited, dark comedy series called Bro-Hab that should be surfacing later this Fall. Now I'm jumping back into the Professor role, teaching a section of Cinematography this Fall at the Dodge Film School at Chapman University in Orange, CA. Thanks to my fellow MFA classmate & Dodge Associate Dean, Dan Leonard (MFA 94), for bringing me on-board.

June Mack (MFA 92) - If you're in Atlanta, I'm trying to help a previous student of mine find employment there.  He's perhaps the most talented student I ever had in my 27 (yikes!) years of teaching film. He's been working in L. A. working as a producer/project leader (particularly in post) for seven years and has worked for Warner Brothers, Sony, Paramount, FOX, Blumhouse, Orion/MGM, STX, more. He’s also worked on broadcast campaigns for basically all major networks. He did the Upfront for This is Us which landed millions of views online.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated!  His name is Alex Justinger if you want to google him.  Contact me at jmack at uab.edu<mailto:jmack at uab.edu>, (205) 552-3023.

Brenda’s Weekly Screenings & Awards Update – August 22, 2019

Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers), El Piraguero (MFA D2 2018 Julio Vargas) and Payoff (MFA Thesis 2019 Nathaniel Price) were selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/.

Baked Goods (BFA Thesis 2019 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the August I’m Not Gonna Move to L.A. Web Series Edition, August 21 in Miami. For more information for this set of events, go to http://www.filmgate.miami/nola/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.queencityfilmfestival.org.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.com<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.com/>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on September 26. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 80 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at Birmingham Shout, which runs within the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 19-25. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.sidewalkfest.com/.

No Fems (BFA Documentary 2019 Tyler Vogel) was selected for screening at the Stamped: Pensacola LGBT Film Festival, August 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.stampedfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stampedfilmfest.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=MNHwOqQ8N1u91SoMLfIblwuGXKgp50OPUXjl8uRAbak&r=dMI2Bcnvc0hnKAsbx1FpIJN57oqf4eEylQiUvrwdNeI&m=T3lM-LMcP8zblRBGSm7l4jT9_3CjeNJcgeAWHvy8mv0&s=2qRFYuUbcqliMxgakKeCsexnIuu4-CqoSnvY6WIp7wM&e=>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for Tampa Bay Screams horror convention, August 23-25. For more information about this convention, go to http://www.gatorbladefilms.com/tampabayscreams.net.html.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the inaugural Idlewild International Film Festival in Michigan, August 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.withlovefromidlewild.com/idlewildintfilmfestival.

Ms Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Betty Jiang) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards on August 24 and will be awarded Best Director of a Student Short. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.laiffawards.com/.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at Filmfestival Kitzbuehel in Vienna, Austria, August 19-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffkb.at<http://www.ffkb.at/>.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Diversity Film Festival, August 22-25. The film will also screen in a special Ladies Night preview event on May 18th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.ladff.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the I See You Awards in Detroit, August 22-25. For more information about this competition, go to www.iseeyouawards.com.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening and is a Semi-Finalist at the Directed by Women – NYC Shorts of All Sorts Film Festival on September 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://the2ndsexandthe7thart.com/index.php/blog/.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming), Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), The Eye of the Needle (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer) and Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella) are all nominated for Best University Film and  Ya’ke Smith Award for College Filmmaker of the Year at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) was selected for screening and is a Semi-Finalist at the Burbank International Film Festival, August 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org/<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org/>.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the Cannes Short Film Festival in France, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.cannes-shorts.com/.

Escape Pod (MFA D1 2016 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the B-Movie Underground & Trash Film Festival (BUT) in Breda, the Netherlands, August 28 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.butff.nl/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingue Li) and Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 29 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening at the GenreBlast Film Festival in Richmond, Virginia, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.genreblast.com<http://www.genreblast.com/>.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Horrible Imaginings Film Festival in Santa Ana, California, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.hifilmfest.com<http://www.hifilmfest.com/>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming), Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), The Eye of the Needle (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer) and Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Newark International Film Festival, September 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://newarkiff.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez), Paradise Village (BFA Thesis 2019 Andrew Landreville), The Prize at the Bottom (BFA F3 2019 Annika Ciul), Giddy (MFA D2 2018 Jameel Karim) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol/Alex McFry) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Orlando, September 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) was selected for screening at the Silver State Film Festival in Las Vegas, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://silverstatefilmfestival.com/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Salt Lake City, September 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com/>.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Academy International Student Film Festival in St. Augustine, September 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://flfilmacademy.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the MECCAcon International Film Festival in Detroit, September 19-21. For more information about this con, go to https://www.facebook.com/MECCAconIndieFilmFest/.

Mercy (MFA D2 2018 Nathaniel Price) was selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Royal Starr Film Festival in Royal Oak, Michigan, September 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.royalstarr.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.

Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Reformed and Retweeted (BFA Documentary 2018 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Trans Stellar Film Festival in Detroit, September 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.transstellarfilmfestival.com/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) and The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the NOLA Horror Film Fest in New Orleans, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.neworleanshorrorfilmfestival.com/.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis/Will O’Neal) is a semi-finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival of Nashville, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://ibffnashville.com<http://ibffnashville.com/>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com/>.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.