[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.29.19

Meryl Warren via WarrenReport via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 29 13:51:40 EDT 2019

Great article in the Tallahassee Democrat about the Film School this week.  Hope you’ll take a few minutes to read it at:  https://bit.ly/2L8v3HE<https://bit.ly/2L8v3HE?fbclid=IwAR22Q_qNAM5JyGg2FbUvm9bv7eA_Eylo6so3l46aLJc--LRdhvKGiBBeges>

Congratulations to Matt Pope (MFA 05)!  His feature, Blood on Her Name, rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

From Christian Klein (BFA ADA 16) “Very excited to share that I am about to start a 7-month contract with Ingenuity Studios, as a motion graphics artist for TV shows such as Grown-ish, S.W.A.T., and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I've also got just a few VFX shots left on "Sweet Nothings", a sci-fi comedy short about the future of dating apps and overly invasive targeted advertising that I wrote and directed last summer. Victor Ingles (BFA ADA 16) shot it beautifully and I can't wait to share it in the coming months!”

From Wasly Castillo (MFA 19) “We’re back from DR where we shot my feature film, and it was an awesome experience. The movie is titled: Ivanna en Elias PiñaWritten by: me, Directed by me, Produced by me and Alex McFry. Cinematography: Jonah Johnson, Gaffer: Aimée Casey, Editor: Sheree Chen (all alums MFA 19).  We have an awesome group of slums working on this movie and we’re all so excited about it being our first feature right out of school. Despite the bad press, the Dominican Republic is a gorgeous island filled with beautiful people. If any of our alums are looking for a tropical climate I highly recommend shooting in the Dominican Republic, they can reach out to me if they want more information on the islands movie laws and tax incentives!”

Read a great interview with Kelsey Scott (MFA) :   Great Scott, We’ve Come Far: Kelsey Scott’s Top 5 Tips:  New Hollywood is no longer solely defined by the usual pool of talent.  https://thriveglobal.com/stories/great-scott-weve-come-far-kelsey-scotts-top-5-tips/?fbclid=IwAR0P4sCzlfNDOfI3Wklva1ZIRnW8VV3pL9TabUB-pHpilw1_fX7neaYsmgk

From Ben Hershleder (MFA 95). “I've joined the team at Georgia Film Academy (https://www.georgiafilmacademy.org) as Head of Post Production Education. It's located on the same property as Pinewood Studios Atlanta, of which our own Frank Patterson is the President https://www.pinewoodgroup.com/stud…/pinewood-atlanta-studios. I'm looking forward to helping Georgia Film Academy grow their University and Professional Education offerings of Avid Media Composer and Protools. I'll also be able to continue to teach one or two courses a semester along with doing some professional training, along with being involved in GFA's expansion and marketing efforts.  I'll miss Los Angeles and Burbank after 23 years there; and I'll miss working with the students at American Film Institute after 12 years teaching them Avid, Photoshop, and After Effects; and I'll miss working directly with Avid's Education Division certifying instructors to teach the four Media Composer courses, as I've done for the past 6 years, but I'm on to a brand new adventure! – Wish me luck!”

Last week I shared information about the death of Chuck Allen’s wife Julie and the memorial that will be held in Homer, Alaska.  Please take a minute now and send me words to be put on a card for the memorial basket:  “Chuck will be going to the ceremony and will be taking with him remembrance cards from relatives and friends that will be attached to the huge basket built with local organic materials before it is burned on the evening of 9/15.  Rather than giving your sympathies directly to Chuck, if you want to send me the words you’d like to say to him, I’d put them on a card for him to attach to the basket.  Words would need to be to me by September 5.  Or, if you’d like, you could send a donation in Julie’s memory to the Bunnell Street Arts Center in Homer, Alaska https://bunnellart.z2systems.com/np/clients/bunnellart/donation.jsp?campaign=23&&test=true<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bunnellart.z2systems.com/np/clients/bunnellart/donation.jsp?campaign=23&&test=true__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!msTO6k7qS69kgbn6gsXndvtGbxOGHc9SJ43ybkBsQqSasACzAAQyHEVYXwN4yu8$>

From Nina Juliano (MFA 06). “If you happen to be hanging out in the beautiful Salento region in Southern Italy on Saturday September 7th, you can catch a screening of LITTLE SICILY at theSalento International Film Festival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=a98ef1fca9&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVgBHqR18$>. Two weeks later, on Saturday September 21st, Little Sicily will have it's Sicilian premiere at the Corti in Cortile<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=9abbc47c3b&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuV7wSEe5g$> film festival in Catania, Sicily, where it is an AWARD FINALIST. And we just got word that we are nominated for Best Short Film by the Oniros Film Awards<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=b5250320f1&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVWp905rU$> in San Vicente Italy. Our TEASER<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=adfd9863ff&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVmfmbPYE$> was edited by my talented filmmaker friend (also from Delaware!)Ben Slease and is now available on Facebook<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=343caa0bc7&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVn8wN0uc$> and Vimeo<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=90ae122fdd&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVeowC0MU$>, with over 1k hits on Facebook!”  NOTE:  Alums who help Nina with this project are Editor: Bryan Yokomi<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=866684a11b&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVcP1kUpU$> (MFA 06)  and Colorist: Sherwin Lau<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/luckyluciaproductions.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e61bc2438651bfa4a8857b1aa&id=c6ae5d416d&e=906295e980__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!jbal5_7FK3FtPGywSFb4Zv-o39zZLXCXIgF6o8FTywBW44m4Qvakc2UMSzuVPQ0Cu34$> (MFA 06)

We are excited to announce the inaugural Jewish Writers' Initiative<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jwinitiative.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ee2d9947d5e2f54bc23f4dd95&id=f8d09f5f81&e=bc6921bc06__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!hnZ29U6PL0w4D28a9zEZTVdjYEFuhmaN1sccz-PGzeK_M9NKD9Eo60rwKFpn2wk$>, a national, year-long program to incubate commercial, Jewish-themed scripts for mainstream film, television, and digital media platforms. The Request for Proposals is now open, accepting submissions through September 15, 2019. Up to 15 US-based writers will be selected to develop scripts that tell diverse and impactful Jewish stories, with industry support and access to individualized resources that enhance the authenticity of their projects. Participants attend three immersive seminars in Los Angeles, New York, and Israel, and receive a monetary stipend. Please help us spread<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jwinitiative.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ee2d9947d5e2f54bc23f4dd95&id=09d1d25661&e=bc6921bc06__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!hnZ29U6PL0w4D28a9zEZTVdjYEFuhmaN1sccz-PGzeK_M9NKD9Eo60rwkrzjKhM$> the word. To learn more visit www.jwinitiative.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jwinitiative.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ee2d9947d5e2f54bc23f4dd95&id=5ccff18abb&e=bc6921bc06__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!hnZ29U6PL0w4D28a9zEZTVdjYEFuhmaN1sccz-PGzeK_M9NKD9Eo60rwM3Pfkjk$>.

From Lauren Musgrove:   “I am a video producer for Red Clay Media in Birmingham, AL. We have several positions open in our office and are looking for some talented, passionate people to join our team. I’m a graduate of the University of Alabama and have always admired the work of FSU students. I met alumnus Michael Felker (BFA 10) at Sidewalk Film Festival this past weekend, loved his film (made by mostly FSU alumni), and thought it would be a good idea to reach out. Our team is in a collaborative, creative environment with a lot of room for growth and an incredible amount of audience and community engagement. Please share this information with any alumni or soon-to-be grads that may be suitable and interested: https://www.redclaymedia.com/careers/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.redclaymedia.com/careers/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mIKNEBjBIh6PtAKIWJQpFkxfF0STQS33fe1xkQ9_hI-hyydr8fuiYlpAeIIB3Us$>  I personally work on the “Inspiration Team” and we are really looking to find candidates for the Cinematographer position, also to be based in Birmingham. We are looking for someone with a great eye and inspired visual ideas that also loves to be a part of the process of building the story. We mostly do documentary work now but will be doing narrative pieces in the future. Here is the link to that specific job posting:https://www.redclaymedia.com/job/cinematographer-editor-inspiration-team/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.redclaymedia.com/job/cinematographer-editor-inspiration-team/__;!5Xm4_O-4tfk!mIKNEBjBIh6PtAKIWJQpFkxfF0STQS33fe1xkQ9_hI-hyydr8fuiYlpA75rDUK8$>”

JOB OPPORTUNITY (Near Future) – Georgia Film Academy:
If you are in the Atlanta/Fayetteville area and are currently, or will be, an Avid Certified Instructor for Protools or for Media Composer, then I want to speak with you! The Georgia Film Academy (https://www.georgiafilmacademy.org) will have opportunities in the near future on both the University side (undergrad & continuing education students for 16 week courses) as well as on the Professional Education side for 2, 3, and 5 day intensives (Avid's 101, 110, 201, etc. classes that you're familiar with). If you, or someone you know, is qualified and interested then please feel free to contact me at my personal email address: Ben at ContactBen.com<mailto:Ben at ContactBen.com> (Please reference GFA in the Subject Line). This expansion is in active development. Job opportunities are not far off, but it will be some time before they become a reality. However, my goal is to start getting people in the loop as soon as possible. Thanks!

“I run a creative agency in Jacksonville and I am looking for recent grads primarily, folks with some corporate film experience or TV spot work, preferably someone that has done some nice spots and can show me a reel. I have a source for multiple projects a year in the NW Florida area and I’m looking for a team to handle them for BaerCreative.
John Baer, CEO / CD, Baer Creative.    http://www.baercreative.com 703-675-2706

We are all a little antsy about the hurricane  - trying not to over-react at this point!  The FSU/Boise State game has been moved from Jacksonville to Tallahassee, and will happen at noon on Saturday, August 31.  General admission tickets are $10 at https://tinyurl.com/y4bskpdx

Brenda’s Weekly Screenings & Awards Update – August 29, 2019

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was awarded Best Cinematography, Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress at the I See You Awards in Detroit, August 22-25. For more information about this competition, go to www.iseeyouawards.com.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening and nominated for Best Actress in a Short Film at the Horrible Imaginings Film Festival in Santa Ana, California, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.hifilmfest.com.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was awarded Best Narrative Short Film at the inaugural Idlewild International Film Festival in Michigan, August 23-25. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.withlovefromidlewild.com/idlewildintfilmfestival.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 30 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Blaming Cairo (MFA Thesis 2019 David Chambers), El Piraguero (MFA D2 2018 Julio Vargas) and Payoff (MFA Thesis 2019 Nathaniel Price) were selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening and is a Semi-Finalist at the Directed by Women – NYC Shorts of All Sorts Film Festival on September 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://the2ndsexandthe7thart.com/index.php/blog/.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming), Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), The Eye of the Needle (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer) and Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella) are all nominated for Best University Film and  Ya’ke Smith Award for College Filmmaker of the Year at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) was selected for screening and is a Semi-Finalist at the Burbank International Film Festival, August 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org/<http://www.burbankfilmfestival.org/>.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li) was selected for screening at the Cannes Short Film Festival in France, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.cannes-shorts.com/.

Escape Pod (MFA D1 2016 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the B-Movie Underground & Trash Film Festival (BUT) in Breda, the Netherlands, August 28 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.butff.nl/.

My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingue Li) and Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 29 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) and Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) were selected for screening at the GenreBlast Film Festival in Richmond, Virginia, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.genreblast.com<http://www.genreblast.com>.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the Urban Film Festival in Miami, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://urbanfilmfestivals.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Horrible Imaginings Film Festival in Santa Ana, California, August 30 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.hifilmfest.com<http://www.hifilmfest.com>.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming), Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez), The Eye of the Needle (MFA Thesis 2018 Kaleigh Spencer) and Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Newark International Film Festival, September 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://newarkiff.com/.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber), Stage Fright (BFA F3 2019 Geena Hernandez), Paradise Village (BFA Thesis 2019 Andrew Landreville), The Prize at the Bottom (BFA F3 2019 Annika Ciul), Giddy (MFA D2 2018 Jameel Karim) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol/Alex McFry) and Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Orlando, September 6-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) was selected for screening at the Silver State Film Festival in Las Vegas, September 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://silverstatefilmfestival.com/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Salt Lake City, September 6-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com>.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Academy International Student Film Festival in St. Augustine, September 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://flfilmacademy.com/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the MECCAcon International Film Festival in Detroit, September 19-21. For more information about this con, go to https://www.facebook.com/MECCAconIndieFilmFest/.

Mercy (MFA D2 2018 Nathaniel Price) was selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Royal Starr Film Festival in Royal Oak, Michigan, September 6-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.royalstarr.org/.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go tohttps://www.tinff.net/.

Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Reformed and Retweeted (BFA Documentary 2018 Siara-Lauren Brown) were selected for screening in the online version of the Global Peace Film Festival, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.peacefilmfest.org/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin) was selected for screening at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on September 26. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.com<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Trans Stellar Film Festival in Detroit, September 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.transstellarfilmfestival.com/.

A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Dad in a Box (MFA D2 2016 Bethany Miller) and The Comedian (MFA D1 2018 Lucas Moratore) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Amelia Island, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.rendezvousfestival.org/.

Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Tony DeNiro) was selected for screening at the NOLA Horror Film Fest in New Orleans, September 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.neworleanshorrorfilmfestival.com/.

King, Charles (BFA Documentary 2019 Skylar Theis/Will O’Neal) is a semi-finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Queen City Film Festival in Cumberland, Maryland, October 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.queencityfilmfestival.org.

Skin I’m In (MFA D2 2018 Chavez Caley) was selected for screening at the International Black Film Festival of Nashville, October 5-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://ibffnashville.com.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at Screamfest in LA, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) and Ms. Piggy (MFA Thesis 2018 Tianying Jiang) were selected for screening at the Glendale International Film Festival in Southern California, October 10-17. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.glendaleinternationalfilmfestival.com/.

Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.melbournefilmfest.com<http://www.melbournefilmfest.com>.

Stage Ready (BFA Thesis 2019 Ray Knudsen), Scenes from a Hibachi Restaurant (BFA Thesis 2019 Stephen Musumeci) and When She Speaks (BFA Thesis 2019 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) was selected for screening at the Black Film Festival of New Orleans, December 11-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://pbesoul.com/.