[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 4.4.19

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Apr 4 14:35:20 EDT 2019

Reminders about our upcoming Atlanta events next week:  Our Film Forum on Tuesday night @ 6:30pm at Crazy Legs Productions. A great opportunity to network and to learn about making a feature in the ATL area with CMPA Alum Matt Pope (MFA 05).  Also a FREE event. For more information and to register:
https://fsufilmforumatl2019.eventbrite.com

The College of Motion Picture Arts continues its partnership with the Atlanta Film Festival to present our annual KeyLight screening of a selection of student shorts from the BFA and MFA classes of 2018. Our screening takes place as part of the festival's Creative Conference on Wednesday, April 10th @ 6pm at The Plaza Theatre located at 1049 Ponce De Leon Ave NE. Tickets are *FREE* and go "on sale" March 21st through the Film Festival website www.atlantafilmfestival.com

After the screening, around 7:45pm-ish, we will be hanging out and catching up with local alumni and friends at Neighbor's Pub--just about a block or so down the street from the theatre at 752 C Highland Ave. NE. Come join us, we'd love to see you and hear what you have been up to. https://neighborsatlanta.com/

And one more ATL gathering:  *All Atlanta area alumni and friends - Our spring tour crew we will be gathering in the Marriott Marquis hotel bar, Pulse, the evening we arrive (Monday 4/8) at 9:30pm. Come join us – Dutch treat! This is another opportunity for us to catch up with you if you can't make the other week's events.*. Link to the hotel bar info: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-restaurants/atlmq-atlanta-marriott-marquis/pulse/71435/home-page.mi
marriott.com

Film School Noles in NYC - A Special Retrospective Screening
In August 2019, the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts will turn the corner on 30 years since its first class of students walked through the doors. Join us for a lighthearted retrospective screening of just a few of our historic award winners plus audience and festival favorites from the last three decades. The screening will be followed by a complimentary light reception and a chance to speak with the dean, Reb Braddock who has been a part of the Film School since the very beginning. This event is free and open to the public. Seating is limited.
Where:   1350 6th Avenue, New York, NY 10019
When:    Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:00 PM.  Go to http://tinyurl.com/y6jtvur3 to register.   NOTE to Alums:  We will also be in NY the first week in June for a Film Forum and screening.  More on that later.   Following is a list of the films we’ll be screening NOT in screening order.

Built to Serve, Dylan Chase, BFA ADA 15
Cootie Contagion, Josh Smooha, BFA 12
Death Has A Son, Zack Ogle, BFA 13
Fighting Eddie, Frank Longo, MFA 99
Killer Kart, James Feeney, MFA 12
Kosher, Aimee Barth, BFA 01
Hedge Hero, Lauren Hammond, BFA ADA 16
The Plunge, Todd Schuman, MFA 03
Three’s a Crowd, Mithra Alavi MFA 14
Thump, Ben Roth, BFA ADA 18
Zeke, Dana Buning, MFA 03

Knew all of you were tired of hearing from me about the Great Give, so waited till this week’s Warren Report to give you the update!   Huge thanks to all who participated in raising $15,946 that goes directly into the Meryl Warren Alumni Fund Endowment.  This is a big boost toward getting the endowment to a level where proceeds will fund our alumni events and entertainment.   And we had nearly 10% of our alumni participate – a 5% increase over last year!  We had 15 Anonymous donors who we can’t thank personally because we don’t know who you are, but truly appreciate your interest in the Film School.

From Rika Bhakta  and Carolina Garrigo (both MFA 17) “Lucky & Lori' has advanced to the final stage and we are pitching live to a panel of showrunners and development executives this June at the ATX Television Festival! We are incredibly honored and excited to have come this far, and are hopeful for the future. Our story is important and we can't wait to share it with everyone. Cuban-American, Indian-American, together for the win...again! #RepresentationMatters.  Austin, here we come!”

From Nathan Cohen (BFA 18) “Hey FSU Film Fam! A few updates - I’ve just wrapped a gig I got through alum Nicole Machon, a show called Homicide City for ID Channel. I’ve been on this show since November and it feels good to be finished! The season premiere is this Wednesday, April 10, at 10 PM on ID Channel. I started as the PA and finished as the 2nd AC. Another ID channel show that I have been working on (and even appear in at one point), Primal Instinct, wraps this Friday. In the off weeks I have been working with MacGuffin Films, a company which makes tabletop commercials for the likes of Burger King and MacDonalds. I have just been promoted to props assistant, working directly with local 52 prop masters and set dressers. I’m also happy to report I’ve gotten a few FSU Alum in there, including Justin Zuckerman (BFA 15)  and Rob Bevis (BFA 18). Hope y’all are doing well, have a breakfast bowl at the Woodchuck Cafe for me!”

From Carlos Cisco (MFA Writing  11)   “I've recently started working as a writer's assistant on Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery. It's tough work but it's easily the best job I've had since I've moved out here. And even more importantly, it's the shortest commute I've ever had in my 7.5 years out here.”

Frank P. Tomasulo, former BFA Director of the Film School, recently authored a book on an important Italian film director: Michelangelo Antonioni: Ambiguity in the Modernist Cinema (Lambert Academic Publishing, 2019).

From Romuel Galarza (BFA 11). "Hello FSU Alumni! Last month, I moved to New York City for family and creative opportunities. I'm currently freelancing in both film and photography. Most of my professional experience is as a broadcast television editor, but am looking for opportunities in all areas including film, theater, art, etc. Would also love to connect with people to create shorts, plays, etc. Excited to connect with the city and the people in it. Feel free to reach out at ramuelgalarza at gmail.com<mailto:ramuelgalarza at gmail.com>"

From Kendall McCrory (MFA 14). “I'm excited to be joining Season 4 of The Good Place as Post Supervisor. It's a great group, and I'm so thankful to Stacy Milbourn (MFA Writing )  for introducing me to them!”

Aloura Charles(BFA 97) is a member of the WGA and its  a Committee for Women Writers.  The Committee has produced a list called THE WRITE WOMEN - 1st Edition which you can look at here:  https://tinyurl.com/y42eglss<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tinyurl.com_y42eglss&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=k9orR2a1AU-TXkkwYsEDBbI2tPxJjIlfQ05joYUJkR0&s=2jNiEeBbXhsVgk6BZtcX97cgBGDMiipJuVqZREqqfIc&e=>     This is not an official WGA list.  Aloura says, “we would have to go through a lot of red tape and the WGA can’t really do gender biased lists, etc. So this list was put together by women from the CWW, including me.”
The Wind, the new Soapbox film, opens in theaters and VOD April 5th with an Atlanta premiere of April 26th. There's also a playable video game here: https://airdorf.itch.io/thewind
From Brandon Shenk (MFA 18). “Yining Xu (MFA 18) and I are making a small feature film, titled Portrait of a Young Man, this coming August in Florida. It's about a High School boy's struggle with identity and an eating disorder, as his family attempts to heal past wounds and nurture future hope. Currently we're running a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for production. So, if you have any interest in supporting the cause, we'd love for you to check us out at  http://bit.ly/poaym<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_poaym&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=7XEKMvf2di9Ffd5qCbID0PBPOuscnlOtOdTxRXJfe94&s=ZrSTLv7nDLhhPh6Hc8cISgmvymrCzA3Yie8-v434qbk&e=>.

Cristy Trabada (BFA 3) was in LA this past week working with the Academy Award winning Doug Blush and Kimberly Browning to mentor a group of young, talented filmmakers on the UCLA campus as part of the National Young Arts LA Regional program.

Ken Burns and the Library of Congress are partnering to create a national award for history documentary filmmaking. The Library of Congress Lavine/Ken Burns Prize for Film will recognize a filmmaker whose documentary uses original research and compelling narrative to tell stories that touch on some aspect of American history. Filmmakers are encouraged to apply for this late stage production grant Prize of $200,000 offering national recognition and support to reach the largest possible audience. A national award ceremony at the Library of Congress is set for October 17. For more information go to www.thebetterangelssociety.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.thebetterangelssociety.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=EMMlpJUUrFusnlfBgl7qomE1ayfCEkKnQ2TYUMoTfCY&m=e_OnVJcCkEm7wzYOszPqLXx79Dv3Y9DERwc-lrgAcWU&s=hWn7QtNuFuEbNHAI75QLmtyIAvXv3vD74pKR2Pe_pGE&e=>

From Kelly Wurtz:  “I'm a filmmaker working with a science education non-profit in Boulder, CO, and am looking to have an interview done of a collaborator of ours at FSU (a faculty member in science education). I don't have a hard time, but the interview would be need to take place April 16. This would probably take two people (with experience in doing interviews) which we could compensate $30/hr per person. The filmmakers would have to have their own camera and audio equipment.I don't think this will require lighting equipment, unless the filmmakers have some of their own and would like to use it. I'd be in contact with the filmmakers regarding interview topics and such, and would probably be in contact during the interview as well.  Any interested parties can contact me at  kelly.wurtz at colorado.edu or (818) 967-9879.”

From Eric Jaffee (BFA 13). “NBC is hiring a new Post-Production Manager. If you're qualified/interested, please email your resume to eric.jaffe at nbcuni.com. Details below: The Post-Production Manager is responsible for providing creative and operational leadership to NBC Marketing’s digital creative post-production team, ensuring the timely delivery of a high volume of high-quality video for distribution on social and digital platforms. Working in collaboration with our creative directors, writers and strategists, the Post-Production Manager ensures that each project reaches its creative potential, is efficiently executed, and delivered to in accordance with our technical specifications. This is a full-time, staff position; it is based on the Universal lot in Los Angeles and reports to the VP, Digital Production.  3 + years experience in a post managerial role such as post-production manager, post-production coordinator, supervising producer, or lead editor.”    If you want the complete position description email me and I’ll send it to you:  mwarren at fsu.edu<mailto:mwarren at fsu.edu>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – April 4, 2019

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman) won the Grand Jury Award for Best College Short at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, March 19-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

My Wizard Dad (MFA D2 2018 Carrie Rich), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), Harmony (BFA F3 2018 Tyler Kula) and The End in Sight (BFA Thesis 2018 Erik Kallin) were selected for screening at the Apalachicola Riverfront Film Festival on April 25. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/Apalachicola-Center-for-History-Culture-and-Art-187320127961141/?eid=ARBQcOwfBTv-cru_ET-_ja9l-IdjaJh1QzLvQz2fcseJPW9T0hZSC5K3jvWLoKRHl-jzzXZfgSfE6IDo.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the OutlantaCon Short Film Festival in Atlanta, May 10-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.ioiproductions.com/events.

Mai Tais (MFA Thesis 2018 Dylan Zivitz) is a finalist at Worldfest-Houston, April 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org>.

Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) and Teen Night (BFA F3 2018 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, July 12-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.longislandfilm.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at Spring Out! Middle Tennessee LGBT+ Film Festival in Murfreesboro on April 4. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.mtsu.edu/mtlambda/LGBTplusCC.php.

My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber) and Woman of Steel (BFA Documentary 2018 Chris Violette) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 29 – April 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocfilmfest.com<http://www.americandocfilmfest.com>.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, April 4-7. For more information about this festival, go towww.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com<http://www.charlotteblackfilmfestival.com>.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison) and The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma) are finalists in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films competition. The winners will be awarded in a ceremony on April 5. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney), The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) and Siphon (MFA Thesis 2018 Anthony DeNiro) were invited to screen at RavenCon in Williamsburg, Virginia, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.ravencon.com<http://www.ravencon.com>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) and A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu) were selected for screening at the Beverly Hills Film Festival, April 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com<http://www.beverlyhillsfilmfestival.com>.

The Invisible Man and the Blind Girl (MFA Thesis 2018 Xiao Ma), My Wife is a Chicken (MFA Thesis 2018 Jingjue Li/Betty Jiang [ED]), A Familiar Stranger (MFA Thesis 2018 Yining Xu)  andLily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) were selected for screening and will win a Remi Award at Worldfest-Houston, April 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org>.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on April 14. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com.

Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Lily (MFA Thesis 2018 Yingli Cheng) and The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.sarasotafilmfestival.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfestival.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening in the online section of the Lift-Off Genre Festival, April 8-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://liftoff.network/.

The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, April 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.chattfilmfest.org/.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen), Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Film Festival, April 10-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com<http://www.fortmyersfilmfestival.com>.

Creatures of the Night (MFA Thesis 2018 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was selected for screening at the Capital City Film Festival in Lansing, Michigan, April 11-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.capitalcityfilmfest.com.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart), Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) and Saving Blockbuster (BFA Documentary 2018 Wesley Hayes/Alex Ullom) were selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival, April 12-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org, FloridaFilmFestival.com.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the OUTshine Film Festival – Miami Edition, April 18-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.OUTshinefilm.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.outshinefilm.com._&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=uK3FeI3vlbQ4FYicZ5zucs7IOsWs9goiwQp-zETy6qc&s=jHdaVlEoCF8w5L_hIucGJa5pdGrsHn_ZZHfv5zf883I&e=>.

An Altar of Sorts (MFA Thesis 2018 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Hill Country Film Festival in Fredericksburg, Texas, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.hillcountryff.com.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom), My Landline (BFA Documentary 2018 Evan Barber), Nothing to Fear (MFA D2 2017 Ellen Marmol), Splinter (BFA F3 2018 Brady Holcomb) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach Film Festival, April 24-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Knock Knock (MFA Thesis 2018 Kennikki Jones) was selected for screening at the Langston Hughes African American Film Festival in Seattle, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.langstonseattle.org/.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Fair Winds Veterans Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://travelfarproductions.com.

The Misadventures of Riley and Jess (BFA F1 2017 Chayse Banks), Hasti Joon (MFA Thesis 2018 Sara Karimipour), Re-Dickulous (MFA D1 2017 Dani Fiondella), Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Grandma Eunice (BFA Thesis 2018 Rob Bevis) and AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the Laugh or Die Comedy Fest in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on April 27. For more information about this festival, go to http://laughordiecomedyfest.com/.

Standardized Heisting (MFA Thesis 2018 Jake Hutchison), The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead), The Mysterious Life of Emmett Butler (BFA Thesis 2018 Terry Beck),Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt), Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Amor de Madre (MFA D2 2018 Wasly Castillo) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, Florida, April 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Reel Out Charlotte Film Festival in North Carolina, April 28 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://reelout.org.

Space Race (MFA D2 2018 Billy Kalstrom) and Kings (BFA Documentary 2018 Maria Passafaro) were selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Film Festival in Florida, April 30 – May 5. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/bbsfilmfest/.

Eagleman (MFA Thesis 2018 Wes Fleming) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, May 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) and Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen)were selected for screening at the NYC Independent Film Festival, May 5-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://nycindieff.com.

The Dreamer (MFA D2 2010 Jamie Kassler) was selected for screening at the Damah International Film Festival in Tokyo, May 10-11. For more information about this festival, go towww.damahfilm.com/<http://www.damahfilm.com/>.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin/Carolina Beguiristain) was selected for screening at the Harlem International Film Festival in New York City, May 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to http://harlemfilmfestival.org/.

For the Woman on the Floor (BFA Thesis 2018 Livia Ohihoin/Carolina Beguiristain) was selected for screening at NewFilmakers New York, June 1 – August 31. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.newfilmmakers.com.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Cinema Soup Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 8th. For more information about this festival, go to www.cinemasoupfilmfest.com/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at the Pune Short Film Festival in Pune, India, June 7-11. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://marathichitrapatparivar.com/.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at five Imaginarium Film Festivals: Tampa Bay Comic Con in Tampa, August 2-4; Wisconsin Comic Con in Milwaukee, June 28-30; Michigan Comic Con in Detroit, August 16-18; Indiana Comic Con in Indianapolis, August 80 – September 1; and the Atlanta Comic Con, July 12-14. For more information about these conventions, go to http://imaginariumagency.org/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the Toronto Feedback Female Film Festival on July 25. It was also accepted for a special Best of Feedback Female Film Festival screening in Toronto on August 29. For more information about this festival, go to https://femalefilmfestival.com/Toronto/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Bridgslaughter Horror Film Festival in Bridgewater, UK on September 20. For more information about this festival, go to https://bridgwater.co/bridgslaughter-horror-film-festival/.

Doll It Up (MFA D2 2018 Yalan Hu) was selected for screening at the

Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival in Canada, September 20-22. For more information about this festival go to https://www.tinff.net/.