[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Sep 20 13:59:49 EDT 2018

From Jonathan King (MFA 92),  Executive VP for Production at Participant Media:   “We are in middle of production here on our first big scripted tv project,  Ava DuVernay's limited series about the Central Park Five case from 1989.  We are producing it for Netflix and it will launch next year some time.  On the movie side, it's going to be a busy fall.  We premiered Alfonso Cuaron's ROMA at the Venice Film Festival, where it won the Golden Lion.  We made it kind of under the radar in Mexico over the last two years. I have to say, I think Alfonso created a masterpiece.  After Venice, the film went to Telluride and Toronto, and now it's going on a festival world tour.  We also sold that one to Netflix. They are going to release in theaters in the US and about fifteen countries, and it will launch on the service on December 14.  We also took GREEN BOOK to Toronto for its world premiere.  It's based on a true story about an African American classical pianist named Don Shirley who goes on a concert tour of the deep south in 1962 and hires an Italian American bouncer to be his driver and body guard.  Mahershala Ali plays Don Shirley and Viggo Mortensen plays Tony Vallelonga, the driver. The movie covers the eight week road trip, but they ended up being friends for life after that.  It's really warm and funny and moving.  Universal is releasing it wide on November 21.  Last but not least is ON THE BASIS OF SEX, our narrative movie about the early days of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (following our RBG documentary that came out earlier this year).  Felicity Jones plays RBG and Armie Hammer plays her husband Marty.  It's about the only case they ever argued together that got gender discrimination declared unconstitutional.  I'm sure I'm making it sound dry and legalistic, but it's very much a funny, romantic, rousing crowd pleaser.   Cast also includes Kathy Bates, Sam Waterston, Justin Theroux.  Focus is releasing in about ten cities on Christmas Day, and then we are going nationwide at the beginning of January.  There is more in the pipeline, but those are the 2018 highlights.”

‘Captain America’s Anthony Mackie & ‘A Private War’s Jamie Dornan To Star In ‘Synchronic’ From ‘The Endless’ Directors  (Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08) and Justin Benson– read the  Deadline story at https://deadline.com/2018/09/anthony-mackie-jamie-dornan-synchronic-1202465856/

Congratulations to Holly Pearson (BFA 12 ) who has just been accepted into the Directors Guild of America as an Associate Director.

Lots of alums made it to the second round in the Austin Film Festival Screenplay and Teleplay Competition.  They are all in the top 20% of submissions.   They are (hope I didn’t miss anyone – it was a LONG list):

Scripted Digital Series:
Marty Lang (MFA 04) “Black Mirror:  Words in Your Mouth

Comedy Teleplay Pilot:
Semi Finalist:  Josh Smooha (BFA 12) “Primal Loosers”

Drama Teleplay Pilot:
Marla Dumont (MFA Writing 08) “Coming Home”
Nic Sridej (MFA Writing 15) “Mystic
Stacy Milbourn (MFA Writing 14) “The Resistance”
Jared Laberdesque (MFA Writing 14) “Spring Breaking”

We had a visit from Aaron Pagniano (BFA 12) who was in FL for the premiere screening of his film Sunset on the River Stynx.  We appreciate his spending time with Brenda’s Launch Classes.

Grace Marrero (BFA 17) s a finalist for the ASC Undergraduate Heiritage Award for her camera work on The Girl and the Bird, Emily Mills’ (BFA 17) stop motion thesis film!!  Read  the article here:   https://theasc.com/news/nominees-announced-for-2018-asc-student-awards
From Michelle Calderon (MFA Writing 18) “I have been accepted into the NHMC  (National Hispanic Media Coalition) Writer's Program for this fall! I'm very excited to spend a month working on my writing with the mentorship of industry professionals.”
From Faren Humes (MFA 11) “Liberty screens<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tickets.lafilmfestival.com_Online_default.asp-3FdoWork-3A-3AWScontent-3A-3AloadArticle-3DLoad-26BOparam-3A-3AWScontent-3A-3AloadArticle-3A-3Aarticle-5Fid-3D59853212-2D842F-2D4029-2D9B87-2D0B9546C6E04E-26BOparam-3A-3AWScontent-3A-3AloadArticle-3A-3Acontext-5Fid-3D9DD18815-2DEBE5-2D4FAB-2D9030-2DD38C72CDF215&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=9EMM519CHHyzbIefiZzWh433GOQU508L74FMQBCi_S4&s=T1PDSlTG_8E5_xKrYuMxVb1JbedhNPNUenXOghZqibs&e=> Sept 20th. This film was made with the help of recent grads Gideon Yirdaw , Sam Bellamy & Jonas Schubach (all MFA 18) and the support of Reb with guidance from David Wiley and Tony Ciarlariello. I love working with the film school and am thankful for the connection and support.   We premiere as apart of LA Film Festival's PI Showcase Sept. 20th and Sept. 24th”

Kennikki Jones-Jones (MFA 18). “I just spent the week at TIFF as an intern with Radiant Films International through The Creative Mind Group and it was a very rewarding experience.  I had a chance to sit on meetings with the President of the company as she communicated with potential international buyers from around the world,  I saw 2-3 movies a day, networked with fellow budding filmmakers, caught up with my second year, Rob Eaton (who is doing amazing things) and mingled with alumni Barry Jenkins, Joi McMillon, and James Laxton, at the afterparty of If Beale Street Could Talk. It was amazing watching movies in packed theatres with passionate filmgoers, critics, agents, sellers and buyers.  If you ever get the chance to attend do it! “

From Travis Newton (MFA 08). “Our Land of Tomorrow crowdfunding campaign is off to a good start. We’re attempting to raise $10,000 and 1000 followers in 30 days as part of Seed&Spark’s Hometown Heroes Rally. If we meet our goals, then we’ll be in the running to pitch the film to the Duplass Brothers as executive producers. We had a great shoot this summer, and now we’re seeking post-production funds to finish strong. Please check out our teaser/pitch video and story on our campaign page: https://www.seedandspark.com/fund/landoftmrwfilm<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.seedandspark.com_fund_landoftmrwfilm&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=lyzML5O_dZyxauLlsVkphdwYWamuSJ4VZRcispTBVe0&s=mRwOL-opFU-hE7BGc8sY_OJEAJydBWzA09R0RJNXgUY&e=>  Several FSU alums worked on the project: Travis Newton (Writer/Director), Sara Corkern (DP), Allison Izzo (Production Designer), Shaina Feldman (1st AD/VFX), Molly Roland (Gaffer), Sabrina Grimes (2nd Unit Cam Op), Virginia Robinson (1st AC).

There is a great review of Antonio Mendez Esparza’s 's film Life and Nothing More, comparing it to Ruby in Paradise and calling it "a near-perfect film"! https://files.slack.com/files-pri/T29BACH61-FCVD6S39N/review_film_comment.pdf

Dustin Cawood (MFA 03) who is now sharing his talents as a sound designer in residence at the Film School, will be in NY next week.  Dustin has been nominated for an Emmy as Sound Designer for Chasing Coral.

Fabula’s Pablo and Juan de Dios Larraín, producers of Academy Award winner “A Fantastic Woman,” have named “Moonlight” co-producer Andrew Hevia<https://variety.com/t/andrew-hevia/> (BFA 06) as VP of their North American office, reporting to former Paramount exec Geoff Stier, who was appointed head of Fabula U.S. in March. Hevia has been helping Fabula with logistical planning over recent months. Fabula’s first U.S. production, Sebastian Lelio’s “Gloria Bell,” starring Julianne Moore and John Turturro, was acquired by A24 for U.S. distribution. It screens as a special presentation at Toronto.  Hevia, who co-founded Miami’s Borscht Film Festival, recently produced recent Ecuadorian picture “Cenizas.”  “Our broad objective at Fabula U.S. is to produce English-language feature films and TV series by international directors, not just Latin American directors. We’re also on the lookout for exciting new U.S. talent,” Hevia added.”

Interesting article from the NY Times about the lack of diversity in writer's rooms across the film industry.   https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/02/arts/television/tv-writers-diversity.html

Marisol Gomez-Mouakad’s, (Film School editing faculty) film  Angelica will be screening at the Gainesville Latino Film Festival at 3 PM on Saturday, September 29. The festival is dedicated to developing, promoting and increasing awareness of Latino cultures by presenting a wide variety of art forms and education. The event is presented by the Latina Women's League and will screen 12 films from notable female directors from Latin America.
From Kevin Hanne, Jr, (FSU/Business 15). "I just wrapped season one of a new Netflix sitcom Prince of Peoria as their writers' assistant. We did a 16 episode order + a Christmas special, and the first 8 episodes will be airing around Thanksgiving of this year!"

*Fall Auditions*
The FSU College of Motion Picture Arts will hold open casting calls for Graduate and Undergraduate Films:
Sunday, October 7 at 10am-7pm
Sunday, October 14 at 10am-7pm
Drop by anytime on either date. No appointment needed. No experience necessary. All ages welcome. The auditions will take place at the FSU College of Motion Picture Arts in Tallahassee, FL, located in University Center Building A, which is attached to the Doak Campbell Stadium. The front entrance of the Film School is located on the northeast side of the stadium near Gate K. The stadium address is 282 Champions Way, Tallahassee, FL 32306. For more info and to register in advance, visit http://action.film.fsu.edu/

Submissions are open for the next edition of the Tallahassee Film Festival unspools April 5-7, 2019. Founded in 2008, the festival relaunched this year after an extended hiatus, welcoming more than 50 filmmaker guests and some 90 features and shorts selections. Features, shorts, animation, documentaries, experimental films and work for TV/digital platforms are eligible. Must be completed between January 2018 and the late submission closing date of Jan. 15, 2019. About 90 percent of the festival's program is drawn from submissions, which strongly favors first-time filmmakers and independent visions. Early bird rates good until Sept. 30. https://tallahasseefilmfestival.com/submit/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tallahasseefilmfestival.com_submit_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=hHBcZ45CqIimLblQ7VQv0FQE98UBcfqNvceNjzPErpM&s=k5NnJqDn7AJ4DG5h2QbYBEuUSS3LyqfAOUaslo1AOX8&e=>   NOTE:  Please share with anyone intereestwd.

The Florida Animation Festival has returned! Mark your calendars for tons of fun, learning, and creativity on June 13 - 16, 2019!  The Florida Animation Festival (FAF) is the only festival of its kind in the region, celebrating the art of animation in all its forms. From stop-motions to visual effects, there are thousands of frames and keyframes involved that create the magic before our eyes. Featuring nearly 100 shorts by the world's best independent animators, and exclusive presentations by professionals in the animation industry, the Florida Animation Festival is a 4-day animation festival at All Saints Cinema in Tallahassee, Florida. Submissions for 2019's Animation Festival are officially open and will run through February 10, 2019!  We're using FilmFreeway exclusively for submissions this year and encourage EVERYONE to submit their work! Visit our listing to submit your work at bit.ly/Submit2FAF To date, we have received over 400 submissions from 28 countries! Student, independent, and professional animators from Argentina to Japan and throughout the USA submitted projects in six categories: 2D/vector, CGI/3D, stop-motion, frame-by-frame/traditional, mixed media/experimental, and VFX/live action with visual effects! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook for updates on speakers, submission deadlines, and more! @FloridaAnimationFestival (@FLAnimationFest on Twitter)

Gail and I had our 53rd wedding anniversary this week.  We’ll celebrate with a fishing trip to a resort near Cabo, Mexico, leaving next Friday, and meeting friends there.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – September 20, 2018

The Girl and the Bird (BFA Thesis 2017 Emily Mills/ DP Grace Marrero) is a finalist in the Undergraduate category of the Student Heritage Awards of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) in Los Angeles on October 13th.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was nominated for Best Makeup/FX and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) was nominated for Best Film at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=NYh993oAf2U40wEt5_QRSO0ATdBl5wTAlZlQ794wGJU&s=PMC0uz6wT3kiNKjpcpSIWi65CKbtrTd4B8uc4ep3TIk&e=>.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) received nine Awards of Merit from the Southern Shorts Awards in Roswell, Georgia: Overall Production, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Music, Editing, and for the performances of Alya Kraar, Austin Cassel and Scott Marino. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.southernshortsawards.com/.

Failures of an Alchemist (BFA F3 2017 Parker McBain) and Like Clockwork (BFA Thesis 2018 Parker McBain) were selected for screening at the Peak City International Film Festival in Apex, North Carolina, September 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/peakcityfilmfest/

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the KaPow Intergalactic Film Festival in North Hollywood, September 28 – October 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.kapowiff.com.

The Orthodontist’s Son (BFA F3 2018 Stephen Musumeci) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Green Dragon Rises (MFA D1 2016 Aaron Chung) was selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to MelbourneFilmFest.com.

Killer Kart (MFA Thesis 2012 J Feeney) was invited to screen at the Idaho Horror Film Festival (again – it was invited in 2014 too), October 11-14, in Boise. For more information about this festival, go to www.idahorrorfilmfestival.org<http://www.idahorrorfilmfestival.org>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the New York City Horror Film Festival on November 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.nychorrorfest.com.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for a monthly screening of the Miami Independent Film Festival (Mindie). For more information about this festival, go tohttp://miamindiefest.com.

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the NC Black Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina, September 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blackartsalliance.org.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film. Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Harmony (BFA F3 2018 Tyler Kula), Cruisin’ (BFA F3 2018 Brandon Knack), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), A Dark Place (BFA F3 2018 David Kroonen) and Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Fernandina Beach, Florida, September 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfilmfestival.net/.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Jerome Indie Film & Music Festival in Jerome, Arizona, September 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://jeromefilmfestival.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 2-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.bibff.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) will be awarded a Gold Student Oscar in the Alternative category at the Student Academy Awards ceremony on October 11 in Los Angeles. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.umff.com/.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at QCinema, Fort Worth, October 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.qcinema.org/.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Sunscreen Film Festival West in Hermosa Beach, California, October 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.umff.com/.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Paper Love Story (BFA F1 2017 Annika Ciul) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to MelbourneFilmFest.com.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Nick Markart/Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening at the Naples International Film Festival in Florida, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.naplesfilmfest.com<http://www.naplesfilmfest.com>.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wild Bunch Festival in Willcox, Arizona, October 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.thewildbunchfilmfestival.com/.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at NewFest in New York City, October 24-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.newfest.org<http://www.newfest.org>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Freak Show Horror Film Festival in Orlando, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.freakshowfilmfest.com<http://www.freakshowfilmfest.com>.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the HorrorQuest Film Festival in Atlanta, October 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.thehorrorquest.com/.

Paper Cuts (MFA D2 2017 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, November 2-4. For more information about this festival, go towww.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

Monster in the Woods (BFA F3 2018 Brennan Brinkley) was selected for screening at the ASIFA-South Animation Conference and Festival in Atlanta, November 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.asifa-south.com<http://www.asifa-south.com>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.

.