[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 9.14.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Fri Sep 14 06:24:06 EDT 2018

ACADEMY REVEALS 2018  STUDENT ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS
The Academy has voted 19 students as winners of the 45th Student Academy Awards® competition, including, in the Alternative (Domestic Film Schools) category,  Shae Demandt’s (BFA ADA 2), “Reanimated,”.  “Reanimated,” is a documentary made this past Spring and brings to life the colorful graffiti covering the abandoned Miami Marine Stadium. The neglected stadium, devastated by Hurricane Andrew in 1992, has been a popular canvas for graffiti artists for decades, and Shae capitalized on the layers of imagery found amid the empty chairs, aisles, and ramps.
'If Beale Street Could Talk': Film Review | TIFF 2018 (Hollywood Reporter): Barry Jenkins follows his Oscar winner 'Moonlight' with this adaptation of the 1974 James Baldwin novel about a young Harlem couple divided by a false criminal accusation.  Read the article at https://tinyurl.com/ycs9snw7
Beal Street involved lots of Film School alums:  Barry Jenkins (BFA 03) was writer, director and producer;  Adele Romanski (BFA 04) producer; James Laxton (BFA 03) cinematographer; Mark Ceryak (BFA 03) executive producer; Joi McMillon (BFA 03) and Nat Sanders (BFA 02) editors; April Moore (BFA 15) Assistant to Barry; Anthony Penczner (BFA 15) PA, Nicholas Huynh (MFA 04) 1st AC.

Congratulations to Carey Williams (MFA 00) who has been selected as one of Filmmaker’s 25 New Faces of Independent Film!   Read the article at https://filmmakermagazine.com/people/carey-williams/#.W5uHu7GZMmq

Beau DeMayo (MFA 09)  is pleased!  “We just Henry Cavill for the show I’m writing (The Witcher) for Netflix https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/04/entertainment/henry-cavill-the-witcher/index.html

Congratulations to Nick Reinhard (BFA 12)  who won a Los Angeles Area Emmy for his videography in the 2017 Dodgers World Series game.

And congrats to Lexa Payne (BFA 12)  “Carpool Karaoke: The Series has won Apple’s first-ever Emmy award for Outstanding Short Form Variety Series! I am the Digital Content Producer for the show and was lucky enough to be at the award ceremony and celebrate with our extremely talented team of writers and producers. Season 2 is shooting now and more episodes will be available soon on the Apple TV app on any iPhone.”

From Ulrick (Wolf) Kraft (BFA 04) “I've recently launched a YouTube series called History of Horror, where I chart the development of horror cinema. It is a fun and very rewarding project, and I currently have five episodes out at:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNg3vF0gDFhh30MqMgOf2w<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_channel_UCjNg3vF0gDFhh30MqMgOf2w&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=GkBJVQfhXqwQ2kvzrkYzd4HE-OLjRRbC9Y_TSR-kAvQ&s=IzUTOJ1O8xmuMVpWdKL2Ry_47Kt7ASQKKL2-n36jdtk&e=>  If you want easy access, you can also go to my website: www.wolfkraftwrites.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.wolfkraftwrites.com&d=DwMFAw&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=GkBJVQfhXqwQ2kvzrkYzd4HE-OLjRRbC9Y_TSR-kAvQ&s=waaaN32-In0FYXDaQF4vQvG5hlZaRdxiyWrPP5lsVwA&e=>, where I've posted links to the episodes. Shares, likes and comments are always appreciated.  Also, I recently published a science fiction novel "God of Desolation," which is free on Amazon for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. Check it out!”

From Alexandrina Andre (MFA 16) “Hey Everyone, the film I'm directing is getting bigger and bigger and we're embarking on a really exciting story, but we need some help with post production and getting to Mississippi to film, therefore we are starting a Seed and Spark campaign and we just went live!!!   I don’t usually ask for money, but anything will help us and we have some really great incentives for those who back up our project!!! Please take a few minutes to visit our campaign page and please share this post if you can. This film is going to inspire so many people in and outside the LGBTQ community and you can be apart of it!  Go to https://www.seedandspark.com/fund/blossom<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.seedandspark.com_fund_blossom&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=iUVbKPUj1ItOy7_1TYmQK17tDtx0GBUp4tubFbSM44w&s=D2HOsdV4TqZWqPJ22a2Wu7nUcQomEXHkUCUcGbUSaDg&e=>
From Roger Ghaman (MFA  96) “The show I was an editor on, Car Masters:  Rust to Riches premieres on Netflix this Friday, Sept. 14.  I am currently still working on an MTV show called Game of Clones.  I also recently became a member of the American Cinema Editors (ACE), which I know some other FSU alums are a part of as well.  So things have been busy and good.”

Ryan O'Connell (MFA 09) will be starring as Charles Manson in the two hour docu-drama special "Inside the Manon Cult: the Lost Tapes" premiering on Monday, September 17th on FOX at 8pm ET/PT.  The reenactment scenes were shot in several Phoenix-area locations back in February. The piece will be narrated by Liev Schreiber. Here's an article in Deadline:  https://deadline.com/2018/08/inside-the-manson-cult-trailer-fox-premiere-date-liev-schreiber-1202443184/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__deadline.com_2018_08_inside-2Dthe-2Dmanson-2Dcult-2Dtrailer-2Dfox-2Dpremiere-2Ddate-2Dliev-2Dschreiber-2D1202443184_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=WLXqWh_UZTqsrn9unSJaCB30NHrLYpRcrtn1_EkGDdY&s=Q5VReg58DfkLm9TnQOXzfifsBdxVzgXesg-zXhTP1TA&e=>

From Idan Menin (BFA 12)  “I have officially signed with ICM Partners. My commercial agent is Hilary McQuaide and motion picture production agent is Lily Fettis. I am very excited and humbled by this step in my career as ICM is one of the most esteemed agencies for cinematographers and represents some of the greatest DPs that inspired me growing up.”

Congratulations to Marisol Gommez-Mouakad (editing faculty at the Film School!  Angelica, the film she wrote, directed, produced and edited, has been nominated for an AMAA award for best Diaspora Narrative Film.  Marisol will be attending the award ceremonies Th on October 20, 2018 in Kigali, Rwanda.  The film is being released in film theaters in the Dominican Republic on November 22 and Puerto Rico October 25.  It will also be in the Gainesville (FL) Latino Film Festival on September 29.

From Jodie Myers (BFA 97). “My lovely and talented roommate, Nina, is looking for a DP in the greater LA area for a short drama that will be shooting 4 days outside the zone in late October.  Lodging provided and rate negotiable.  Must have experience with driving scenes.   Please contact Nina Borghi at nborghi at studioschool.org”

Lorraine Portman's (MFA 99)  film FALLING SOUTH has a number of festivals coming up! North Florida, Knoxville, Austin, Brooklyn, Raleigh, Nashville, and twice in Wisconsin!

First up, The Jacksonville Film Festival! Lorraine will be stopping by the red carpet Friday night. FALLING SOUTH is in the HOME & ABROAD program 7:15 Saturday night at the main branch of the Jacksonville Library. Associate Producer Amanda will be there and I hope more of our North Florida cast and crew! Ticket info to come!  One of the folks running this new version of the festival is Tim Driscoll, another FSU alum.  Festival runs Friday and Saturday evening, Sept. 14th and 15th.

Then Lorraine will be running up to The Knox Film Festival. Falling South will play Sunday, Sept. 16th at 1 pm. Regal Cinemas Downtown West. The festival runs September 14 - 16.

Then Lorraine will be driving to Austin! The Austin Revolution Film Festival runs Sept. 18 - 22. Falling South plays Saturday, September 22 at 9 am.

The same weekend, FALLING SOUTH will play in The Revolution Me Film Festival in Brooklyn! Home turf of lead actor Madeline and more of our cast and crew. Madeline and producer Xavier Santiago will be in attendance. FALLING SOUTH plays 3:00 pm FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21.
BUSHWICK LIBRARY
340 BUSHWICK AVENUE
BROOKLYN, NY 11206

In October, Falling South will play the Film Girl Film Festival in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The festival runs October 12 - 14.  FALLING SOUTH plays October 14th at 2:30 pm at the Underground Collaborative.

FALLING SOUTH will play in the Raleigh Film Festival in October.

Also coming up is Big Water Film Festival in Ashland, Wisconsin which runs November 7 - 11.

FALLING SOUTH will return to Nashville in the Southeastern International Film Festival which runs November 2 - 4.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – September 13, 2018

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) will be awarded a Gold Student Oscar in the Alternative category at the Student Academy Awards ceremony on October 11 in Los Angeles. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.umff.com/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Nick Markart/Tyler Knutt) was selected for screening at the Naples International Film Festival in Florida, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.naplesfilmfest.com<http://www.naplesfilmfest.com>.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Wild Bunch Festival in Willcox, Arizona, October 19-321. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.thewildbunchfilmfestival.com/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Freak Show Horror Film Festival in Orlando, October 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.freakshowfilmfest.com<http://www.freakshowfilmfest.com>.

AV Club (BFA F3 2018 Nick Markart) was selected for screening at the inaugural Melrose Film Festival in Orlando on September 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://tic.ocls.info/.

Petunia (MFA Thesis 2018 James Leming) was selected for a monthly screening of the Miami Independent Film Festival (Mindie). For more information about this festival, go to http://miamindiefest.com.

Paper Cuts (MFA D2 2017 James Leming) was selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando, November 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.sick-n-wrong.com<http://www.sick-n-wrong.com>.

Monster in the Woods (BFA F3 2018 Brennan Brinkley) was selected for screening at the ASIFA-South Animation Conference and Festival in Atlanta, November 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.asifa-south.com<http://www.asifa-south.com>.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at NewFest in New York City, October 24-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.newfest.org.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was nominated for a Jean Luc Godard award in some mysterious partnership with the Cult Critic Awards in Calcutta, India on September 16. For more information about this festival and competition, go to http://hlc-cultcritic.com/cult-critic-movie-awards/.

Red, White and Navy (BFA Documentary 2018 Royce Marnell) was selected for screening at the Documentary Short Film Festival in Missoula, Montana, September 4-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://theaudienceawards.com/the-audience-awards/2018-audfest-documentary-short-film-festival-46194.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner) and Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) were selected for screening at the Detroit Shetown Women’s Film Festival, September 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.detroitshetownfilmfestival.com_&d=DwMF-g&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=NYh993oAf2U40wEt5_QRSO0ATdBl5wTAlZlQ794wGJU&s=PMC0uz6wT3kiNKjpcpSIWi65CKbtrTd4B8uc4ep3TIk&e=>.

Help Wanted (MFA D2 2017 Kennikki Jones) and American Music (MFA D2 2017 Wesley Fleming) were selected for screening at the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival on September 16. For more information about this festival, go to https://austincomedyshortfilmfestival.com/

Flag Duty (BFA F3 2018 Raymond Knudsen) and Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) were selected for screening at the NC Black Film Festival in Wilmington, North Carolina, September 20-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.blackartsalliance.org.

Maria (BFA F3 2017 Illiana Ipes) was selected for screening at the Global Peace Film Festival in Orlando, September 18-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.peacefilmfest.org<http://www.peacefilmfest.org/>.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson), Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) and The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) were selected for screening at the FilmQuest Festival in Salt Lake City, September 7-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was nominated for Best University Film, Best Cinematography Short and the Rising Voice Award.  Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez) was nominated for Writer/Director of the Year, Rising Voices, Best University Film. Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) was nominated for Best Student Director of a Short, and Best Actor in a Student Short For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

Inked (BFA F3 2018 Kyra Gardner), Harmony (BFA F3 2018 Tyler Kula), Cruisin’ (BFA F3 2018 Brandon Knack), Wiener Roast (BFA F3 2018 Emma Landeche), Enyol the Luminary (BFA F3 2018 Elyse Carley), A Dark Place (BFA F3 2018 David Kroonen) and Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) were selected for screening at the Rendezvous Film Festival on Fernandina Beach, Florida, September 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.rendezvousfilmfestival.net/.

Sink or Swim (BFA Thesis 2017 Justin Burt) was selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Jerome Indie Film & Music Festival in Jerome, Arizona, September 27-30. For more information about this festival, go to http://jeromefilmfestival.com/.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Baltimore International Black Film Festival, October 2-8. For more information about this festival, go to www.bibff.com.

Reanimated (BFA Documentary 2018 Shae Demandt) is a Semi-Finalist in the Student Academy Awards competition. Winners will be announced in October. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.oscars.org/saa.

Heads Up (MFA D2 2018 Alex McFry) was selected for screening at QCinema, Fort Worth, October 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.qcinema.org/.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Sunscreen Film Festival West in Hermosa Beach, California, October 5-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.umff.com/.

Sleeves (BFA Documentary 2018 Carrie Carusone) was selected for screening at the Fashion Film Festival Chicago on October 15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.fashionfilmfestivalchicago.com/.

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin), Open Up (BFA F3 2018 Savannah Berube) and Paper Love Story (BFA F1 2017 Annika Ciul) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, October 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to MelbourneFilmFest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the HorrorQuest Film Festival in Atlanta, October 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.thehorrorquest.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.