[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 8.6.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Sep 6 13:43:21 EDT 2018

The Wind (Teresa Sutherland's (MFA 12) feature based on The Winter, with Chris Alender (BFA 98) as producer, Alex Amick (BFA 11) as editor) is one of 14 hot titles at Toronto! https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/toronto-hot-list-14-market-titles-set-heat-up-fest-1139652/item/wind-tiff-hot-list-1139676

From Nic Economides (MFA 09) “Adobe invited me to speak at this year's IBC conference and is flying me out to Amsterdam, which is a real honor and treat. It will be my first time at the IBC and I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of exciting people and getting a close peek at newest technological features and trends of the industry. The theme of my speech will be 'cultivating creativity through a digital-first mindset'. If any alumni happen to be present,  (September 14 and 15) please get in touch! Always good to network at conferences and strengthen FSU ties.”

From Zack Ogle (BFA13) “Aaron Pagniano (BFA ‘12) and I have just completed a short horror comedy film called “We Got a Monkey’s Paw”! It’s a wacky, crazy short about what happens when a Monkey’s Paw falls in the wrong hands. We put it together with very little money thanks to a bunch of FSU alumni, including DP Carissa Dorson (BFA ’11), Sound team Spencer Showalter (BFA ’13) and Clinton Cornwall (MFA ’13), Colorist Pedro Vivas Hernandez (BFA ’12), Idan Menin (BFA ’12) helping with additional photography, Jessica Shobe (BFA ’13) with her painting skills, and Lexa Payne (BFA ’12) & Kathleen Young (FSU acting school) as some creepy zombies!!   We’re incredible honored to be premiering at the New Orleans Horror Film Festival on September 22nd! We’ll be making the trip out, and would love to see any FSU family that’s out there!  You can also follow the short on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/WeGotAMonkeysPaw/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_WeGotAMonkeysPaw_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=W9-kXYGXRZV7ToMTvHBVB4IyZzE4ooRx7u_JyUMCd6A&s=eiEq9E9-gj8pPdamBigjCMMjjK0lkSUojNmNi2N_WeQ&e=>

From Patrick Alexander (MFA 06) “When I was a student in college, the guy I looked up to the most was William M. Akers<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_william.m.akers-3Ffref-3Dmentions-26-5F-5Fxts-5F-5F-255B0-255D-3D68.ARAu0TxkHsFF83QaIFkqEp4HiGUsbQdD50A3dG8SI5HbrsBXYR6AqRUE0fgw-2Dop-2DAOOMnTipPI4Y8WSjnRwpK0VV-2DDNfWqQYK4KEe2qXG-5F-2DL41QgwHIdAGVC3UnfDRlTiF6qzuLitRIcemTaGeSCZVYgxNrsrvSgZ23axhjISM-5FmB7fNHe-2DTsoUG-5FKEXix5dFCQXNzv51rfI-2DaYSfD7yZ5M5GYApG9RKeDm-2DnznBLA-26-5F-5Ftn-5F-5F-3DK-2DR&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=ljMqVfL9rxAAHrxKVk2ajXVZ5g1gvL5kib8QSMye_Vs&s=iAPbvGIwn7eJSb2ufrTl5L1eamhlpU5KFu5yq1nZbv0&e=>, the best filmmaking professor at Vanderbilt at that time. Will was a working screenwriter who had a beautiful family and gorgeous home in Nashville (he still does). I marveled how Will could crank out professional screenplays for the entertainment business of LA and still be an educator at a top university far from Hollywood. He was also the best damn teacher a student could hope for as an undergrad (he still is). Will got me inspired to apply to MFA film schools after college. I'll never forget the day I went to his house to pick up some recommendations he had written on my behalf for grad schools. Will asked me if I had applied to Florida State. I said no. I hadn't thought of it. He urged me to consider their MFA program. We looked at the deadline for the application. It was the next day. On Will's insistence, I left his house and pulled an all-nighter working on my application to FSU. I submitted it the next day with Will's recommendation attached. The rest is history. Now, years later, I'm a working filmmaker like Will, prepping my next movie, teaching students on the college level, residing in a town I adore far from the crowded streets of LA, and loving every minute of it. I have so much gratitude for Will's impact on my life and for the fact I got a real shot at carving out the same type of existence he has in this world. And I hope I can make a difference in the life of a student the way Will did for me. Just felt like sharing that today.”

Thanks to Brett Kushner (BFA 07) who was in town this week and spent some time in Brenda’s class talking about his adventures after Film School!