[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 5.31.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu May 31 14:16:29 EDT 2018

We are excited  to welcome to the Film School campus several new faculty and staff.

Dustin Cawood (MFA 03) has been Assistant Professor of Digital Media/Cinema at Lee University for several years.  He had been  a Sound Designer/Sound Editor at Skywalker Sound since 2004, working and winning awards on Toy Story of Terror, Wall-E, Sing, The Boxtrolls, Cars 2 and many more.

Greg Marcks (MFA 00), who filled in for us Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 while Victor Nunez was on leave, has been hired to teach writing and directing.  Greg combines his screenwriting/directing experience with an extensive history of teaching for the NY Film Academy and UCLA Extension, as well as here at the Film School.  He wrote and directed 11:14 and directed Echelon Conspiracy.

Jennifer Riker has a joint appointment with the School of Theatre, teaching Acting for the Camera in the Film School.  She has many acting credits, including parts in Nashville, House of Cards and Castle, and has experience teaching and conducting workshops.

Mark Vargo, ASC is a long time 1st and 2nd Unit DP, a 2nd Unit Director, and has taught at USC and MSU.  He’s worked on films like Deep Impact, Ghostbusters, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and most recently with the TV series Salem.  Mark was nominated for an Oscar for Best Effects for Ghost Busters, and for Best Visual Effects in a Motion Picture for Stuart Little 2.

Christine Catania officially joined the film school team after graduating from FSU with dual degrees in Economics and International Affairs. She previously worked as a receptionist for the college and will be taking on the position of Administrative Associate.  She will be responsible for our students' production reimbursements, travel budgeting and coordination, as well as outreach to our alumni and donors.

From Stephen Beaumont (MFA. 94). “The Case for Jesus” a 5 part series produced and directed by Stephen Beaumont, airs on EWTN September 17-21 at 5:30pm Eastern Time.  Join EWTN Theology Advisor, Noah Lett and Notre Dame Seminary Professor, Dr. Brant Pitre for in-depth conversations as they discuss topics such as: Were the Gospels anonymous?;Did Jesus Fulfill the Old Testament Prophecies?; Did Jesus Claim to be God?; and more.”

Congratulations to Laura Christina Ortiz (who designed many costumes for our student films) who created a sustainable little mermaid-inspired dress for Disney Style:  https://www.facebook.com/designingdisneystyle/videos/418396021956281/

Congratulations to Film School faculty who recently received promotions:

Keith Slade promoted to Teaching Faculty III effective August 2018.  Erika Stone and Antonio Mendez promoted to Teaching Faculty II effective in August 2018.

From Will Sampson (BFA 09). “Hey all. A music video I shot fro country artist Kane Brown for his song “What If’s” was nominated for CMT Music Video Of The Year and Best Collaborative Video. If you feel so inclined you can go vote in both categories for my video here:  http://www.cmt.com/cmt-music-awards/vote<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cmt.com_cmt-2Dmusic-2Dawards_vote&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=Dw5H_kePTmcQclSjlBKYluyv5xDY1gsGJgFrwFuAmI4&s=3CeZ2QU5Ojm0lVWnIOntus8pBVnJZW60DIWU751h4jI&e=>    Also on the music video front I got to shoot Fifth Harmony’s most recent and final music video for their song “Don’t Say you Love Me”. It got some nice write ups recently in Billboard, Nylon, and MTV. In other news I joined the Local 600 this year as a camera operator, however my first union job was as a DP on a 2 day commercial I shot with Kevin Hart with other FSUers (Christopher Oroza (BFA 10) , Jen Lai, (MFA 01)  Melisa Sporn  (BFA 14)  and Brooke Zbytniewski (BFA/ADA 17)) . I also recently joined the Television Academy as a cinematographer due to my work on an upcoming TV show I shot… but more to come on that in a later report.”

Mark your calendars for the Florida Animation Festival at the historic Capital City Amtrak Station, June 14-17, 2018.    The Florida Animation Festival is a multi-day film festival launched in 2016 by The Tallahassee Film Society in partnership with Wells Fargo and The Pod Advertising to showcase amazing animated films and spotlight both regional and global animation talent.  Our festival includes feature programming, free children’s shows, selections from the 19th Annual Animation Show of Shows, the 2018 Oscar-nominated short animated films, short animated film submissions, and more! The FAF is hosted in a historic Amtrak Station in the All Saints District of downtown Tallahassee; a unique, storied location from 1858 that speaks to the FAF’s identity as the only festival of its kind in North Florida.

The Knoxville Film Festival is looking for features. Late deadline is 6/15/18 and Festival runs 9/14-15/18. E-mail jerod.hollyfield at gmail.com<mailto:jerod.hollyfield at gmail.com> for more information.   https://www.knoxfilmfest.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.knoxfilmfest.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=z52gDxJylUtxHwqcYbyATWJx04pzDLbAQIjtrCUJpwI&s=Ipuu66OnhY6b2lZwP3aeRr2mQ738XzBzI2ZSQuOTheg&e=>

From Katie Harbin (MFA14). “I have a room opening up in my 2+1 in Sherman Oaks.  Great location! Located on a quiet side street, but within walking distance to coffee shops, restaurants, the mall, farmer's market, nearby parks, and Ralph's! $850/month plus utilities. If interested, please email ktharbin at gmail.com<mailto:ktharbin at gmail.com> for more info!”

My name is Bridget Johnson and I'm working as the Social Media and Programming Associate for the innovative first-year film festival and screenplay contest, Lonely Seal Film Festival. We are gifting a total of $225,000+ of in-kind prizes. We have a $15,000 prize for Best Female Filmmaker. We cherish inclusiveness and we exhibit unique stories that need to be told. This festival will take place at the iconic Regent Theatre in Arlington, MA (Boston). What makes us stand out is we are launching virtual reality streaming on October 1, 2018 and land at the Regent Theatre on October 5th and 6th for live screenings, panels, screenplay readings, and an awards ceremony.    Our festival attendees at the Regent Theatre can also watch our online screening room in a shared, VR experience. There is a screenplay contest where the top three scripts chosen will be read and recorded by professional actors and the best screenplay receives $15,000. The Grand Prize totals $118,000 and includes one-year of international film distribution with waived admin fees through Lonely Seal Releasing, ($55,000) a showcase and targeted marketing to worldwide cinema buyers at the Lonely Seal Releasing booth at Cannes in May 2019 ($10,000), SEO for one-year ($36,000) a custom website with a premium theme and a custom logo ($7,000) one-year of website hosting on a virtual private server ($1,250) and a custom APP ($8,750). We have a range of different categories including feature films, short films, documentary, web series, teleplays, and many more. The early bird deadline to submit is Thursday, May 31st. I have a 20% discount code for your students. It is all caps:      SEALSAVER20 To submit, visit our FilmFreeway: Lonely Seal Film Festival[1] Our Facebook page is: Lonely Seal Film[2]

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – May 31, 2018

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

Meat (BFA F3 2017 Vishesh Pires) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) are official selections at the End of Days Film Festival in Orlando on June 23. For more information about this festival, go to http://endofdaysfilmfestival.com/

Heyln Springs (MFA Thesis 2014 Noah Camenker) was awarded Saints Best Short at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in Orlando, May 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/.

The Bellerose Resort (BFA Thesis 2017 Grace Marerro) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) were invited to screen in the Etheria Film Night 2018 World Tour. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheriafilmnight.com/.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Palm Bay Caribe Film Festival in Florida, May 31 – June 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.caribefilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Shorts on Tap special event Reality Check – A Selection of Short Docs on June 6 in London. For more information about this event, go to http://shortsontap.com/short-movies/reality-check-3/.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) and Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Christy Trabada) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival, June 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Southside Film Festival in Philadelphia, June 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.ssff.org<http://www.ssff.org/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, June 14-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.sfbff.org.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) is an Official Selection at the Cosmic Film Festival in Orlando, Florida, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.cosmicfilmfest.com<http://www.cosmicfilmfest.com/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.