[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 5.20.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Sun May 20 07:12:20 EDT 2018

Outgoing ‘Arrow’ Co-Showrunner Wendy Mericle (MFA 99) Inks ABC Studios Overall Deal:  See the Deadline article at http://deadline.com/2018/04/arrow-co-showrunner-wendy-mericle-abc-studios-overall-deal-1202372742/. Way to go Wendy!

‘Under the Silver Lake’ Review: Andrew Garfield Soars in Baffling and Inventive L.A. Noir About White Male Privilege – read the Indiewire article about David Robert Mitchell’s (MFA 02) new film.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts has today announced the shortlist for the 2018 BAFTA Student Film Awards. Following the international expansion of the Awards in 2017, this year's shortlisted 60 films have been selected from the 469 submissions by students at film schools in 35 countries across the world.   Congratulations to BFA students Tyler Knutt and Nicholas Markart (both BFA students) whose documentary Peacekeeper is among the 60 on the shortlist!

From Jesse Barksdale (BFA  07)  “For the last six months I've been living in Stockholm, writing on Overkill's The Walking Dead, a new video game based on The Walking Dead TV show/comics. It's been super fun so far, and I'm excited for the game to come out in December. We just released our third trailer, which you can check out here! https://youtu.be/PuLUo0mj8ao<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_PuLUo0mj8ao&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=BX6SxFsGBhwAl6twAhGEwMsZtcqj_FsO34YFTMWP4Ag&s=uavZx_dhZDQr_jv3nAsHmEVp5u3dHSZQv2qj9MUmB-s&e=>”

From Lorraine Portman (MFA  99)  “Falling South is in The Nashville Film Festival. Thursday, May 17 5:45 pm. Screenwriting Competition Winners is the name of our block. I’d love to meet any FSU folks who might be here. I’m here the whole festival.  And here is an article:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/nashville/article/FALLING-SOUTH-Makes-TN-Premiere-In-The-Nashville-Film-Festival-20180510<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.broadwayworld.com_nashville_article_FALLING-2DSOUTH-2DMakes-2DTN-2DPremiere-2DIn-2DThe-2DNashville-2DFilm-2DFestival-2D20180510&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=enobjyG_jxqLy4P61_K4YOEspsxVN3QrG4XjTwW9oUc&s=m_QBpFkzGlFaw-U9Bfyr2bsaeFKjqeehJomwlWcGlE8&e=>

From Jamie Klein (BFA ADA 15)     “So excited to say we’re wrapping up with VFX on Season 1 of Jack Ryan!! Be sure to check it out when it’s released on Amazon this August! I’m super proud of both the quality and amount of VFX we have in the show. I’m also grateful to have been able to work with such a talented VFX Supervisor and VFX Producer who I’ll be working again as the VFX coordinator on HBO’s Watchmen series this summer.”

From Taylor Slingerland (BFA 13). “I worked on Anderson .Paak’s new music video “Bubblin” as Property Master, it was a heck of a shoot but came out super fun! You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/7PmUtmfTmbg<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_7PmUtmfTmbg&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=GCEcWPoZ2a-fQ4pD2ynheuV2X9Nn7RdUFopxejD_JEI&s=_wlomY4g16uYOrlGXE1BBIzkcG4GMULkDMS20EkPcDE&e=>”

Dream comes true for FSU students at 2018 Cannes Film Festival:  FSU students Nicholas Markart and Tyler Knutt were invited to the 2018 Cannes Film Festival in the south of France to screen "Peacekeeper," a documentary they made for a film class. “Cannes is one of the most prestigious film festivals in the world and to be part of that, to showcase yourself and meet other filmmakers is unreal,” Markart said. (2018 Cannes Film Festival). Read the article at http://news.fsu.edu/news/2018/05/15/dream-comes-true-for-fsu-students-at-2018-cannes-film-festival/

The ISA Development Slate<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__creativescreenwriting.us8.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3Dd600bb19fef6687344934a9ca-26id-3D3df1b9f916-26e-3Dd34a734ca9&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=84IFkYKNrg40_49PpCC4arWGWxWefFIsOopsnYMg7kU&m=zZabQpRUb8zsKxmGfxgthek90Poc6TZ7rjr2pJOUCjQ&s=Kc1Plv-oIKtWm-K7wrIjBP4_6at-VO6ST6-YIjAMjQE&e=> is the fastest path to agents, managers and producers looking for writers. We've had a ton of great success since launching last year. 54 of the Dev Slate Writers<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__creativescreenwriting.us8.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3Dd600bb19fef6687344934a9ca-26id-3Df1453eed21-26e-3Dd34a734ca9&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=84IFkYKNrg40_49PpCC4arWGWxWefFIsOopsnYMg7kU&m=zZabQpRUb8zsKxmGfxgthek90Poc6TZ7rjr2pJOUCjQ&s=_Y5SeaDLf2Zder5HyifYSeE-apjqWy0sjFhm6I-A4Hc&e=> have been optioned and/or produced, for at least one project! So we urge you to submit your best work, even if just for the notes.  If you rate high enough you'll be invited onto the ISA Development Slate, with NO additional cost. As an acting representative, we then submit your work to Industry Pros for you without taking a commission from you. We help writers get to the next level!
Exclusive Creative Screenwriting Promo through May 17th.
Receive $25 OFF with code: ISACS25
Click to submit: Development Evaluation<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__creativescreenwriting.us8.list-2Dmanage.com_track_click-3Fu-3Dd600bb19fef6687344934a9ca-26id-3D61b74c1b2c-26e-3Dd34a734ca9&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=84IFkYKNrg40_49PpCC4arWGWxWefFIsOopsnYMg7kU&m=zZabQpRUb8zsKxmGfxgthek90Poc6TZ7rjr2pJOUCjQ&s=BHDcPnB4V3IoH28gXHRdGjQqbJLg7QUp_IPrfXx1Jvs&e=>

“The English Department at Wofford College   (Spartanburg, SC) seeks candidates for a one-year, non-tenure-track Visiting Assistant Professor position in its Film and Digital Media program to begin the fall semester of 2018.  The successful candidate will teach introductory writing seminar and survey courses in addition to advanced courses in his/her area/s of expertise, which may include filmmaking, screenwriting, or production. Candidates should be well versed in industry standards with respect to camera, lighting, sound, and editing technology. Wofford’s normal teaching load is 3/1/3; this position’s load will be 4/0/4. “   NOTE:  let me know if you would like to see the complete position description:  mwarren at fsu.edu<mailto:mwarren at fsu.edu>

Sorry to be slow getting out the WR this week.  I worked M and T, then spent the rest of the week in Biloxi and was way too busy to get out the Warren Report!  Food and drink were fabulous; gambling sucked.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – May 17, 2018

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) won a Gold Remi in the Western category at Worldfest-Houston International Film & Video Festival, April 20-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.worldfest.org<http://www.worldfest.org/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the Shorts on Tap special event Reality Check – A Selection of Short Docs on June 6 in London. For more information about this event, go to http://shortsontap.com/short-movies/reality-check-3/.

The Bellerose Resort (BFA Thesis 2017 Grace Marerro) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) were invited to screen in the Etheria Film Night 2018 World Tour. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheriafilmnight.com/.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Longleaf Film Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina, May 11-12. For more information about this festival, go tohttp://www.longleaffilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Documentary Film Festival on May 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.nycsdff.com.

Heyln Springs (MFA Thesis 2014 Noah Camenker) was selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival, which runs as part of Megacon in Orlando, May 24-27. For more information about this convention, go to http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com/>.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Palm Bay Caribe Film Festival in Florida, May 31 – June 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.caribefilmfestival.com/.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) and Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Christy Trabada) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival, June 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) is an Official Selection at the Cosmic Film Festival in Orlando, Florida, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go towww.cosmicfilmfest.com<http://www.cosmicfilmfest.com/>.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.