[Film-bfad2] [Film-bfad] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 5.10.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu May 10 10:03:57 EDT 2018

Fantastic BFA graduation last weekend, screening their amazing films.  Prior to the screening, the following students received awards:

Grayson Goga won the Bold Reach Award. This is a $6,000 award.
Carolina Beguiristain won the Augustus B. Turnbull Professionalism award. This is a $2,500 award.
Tiara Olson won the Chip Chalmers Mentor Award. This is a $2,500 award.

From Phillip Thomas (MFA 17)  “I want to share some info with you and about an excellent networking group I recently discovered for post production professionals. The group is called the Blue Collar Post Collective, they have small monthly meet ups in NY & LA. In addition, they have a very active Facebook community more than willing to answer career/job search questions for young aspiring editors and post professionals. I've found them to be an amazing resource for building a network and helping to answer questions. Also, it's a great place for young filmmakers to find good editors who are searching for experience.”

From Matt Robinson (MFA 17)  “I wanted to share my latest short film, "Beep”.  For some background on how this film came to be: I was hired by my friend from undergrad, and one of the writers, to direct this short for his nascent production company out here in LA. Lots of FSU alums helped on the film: Layne Inselman was DP, Katherine Oostman was Gaffer/Grip, Charlie Malcolm was Assistant Camera, and Nikki Lee (all MFA 17)   was Script Supervisor. I'd love for everyone to check it out! https://vimeo.com/266983482<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_266983482&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=pRhmL0DjU-FTcsunBhmsnRErPBiWC0WuRDFgpOwlO64&s=aPHRqI2FEpZIvpgVzKeQ7oAkhnQqBUehM4KrxGTlFT8&e=>    We may be adding a password soon, which will be: beepbeep.  We're starting to send it to some festivals. We've gotten some very positive feedback, making it worth all the time and energy. I also directed/produced/co-wrote two spec commercials a few weeks back and am editing them now.”

From Beau DeMayo (MFA Writing 09)  “Who’d thought three years ago when I bought this video game (Witcher)  that I’d be starting work tomorrow helping write the Netflix series”

From Christina Mathena Sauer (BFA 00)  “After 22 years of being away from home, I’m back! I accepted a producing position at a wonderful company in the Tampa Bay Area that educates and inspires creatives.  I have accepted the producing position for Kelby One in Oldsmar.  They have an in house studio and bring in top of the line photographers, designers, and artists and teach the tricks of the trade to inspire and educate creatives.   I will be in charge of helping to determine what content to teach, bringing in and maintaining relationships with the instructors, as well as facilitating all the productions.  In addition to the weekly filmed classes, they have 2 annual conferences called Photoshop World which is a three-five day conference with a line up of instructors who are the best in their field within the industry.  I'm looking forward to contributing to their team as well as being back in my hometown! “

From Julie Donovan (BFA  95)  “After working as a 1st AC for many years, I’ve spent the past few years transitioning to Production Supervisor. I was fortunate to work as Associate Producer on 2 features and after that worked in locations for the next few features (that was quite the education!!!). I just finished my first job as Production Supervisor for 20th Century Fox on the somewhat extensive reshoots for The Hate U Give. Fox replaced a main actor in the film, so while the reason for the reshoots wasn’t great, I’m so grateful I was afforded that opportunity and had an amazing experience. Now on to landing the next job as supervisor!”

From Carl Rogers (MFA  16)  “My screenplay, Starlight, has been selected as a Quarterfinalist in the 2018 ScreenCraft Sci-fi Screenplay Contest! In fact, this script is based on my 2015 D2 "Wish Star." Thanks to all the alums who've read and given me notes. I'm going to make it even better thank to y'all's help!   https://screencraft.org/2018/05/04/screencraft-sci-fi-screenplay-contest-quarterfinalists-announced/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__screencraft.org_2018_05_04_screencraft-2Dsci-2Dfi-2Dscreenplay-2Dcontest-2Dquarterfinalists-2Dannounced_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=xIpHzcuwX3JVa7Cos0-8rp9kWVUsRgJBtEEOHh36rPc&m=2IIOKMPdWPAFtXjTlfn_vT1IuAz7c1lE3cUnpr40RuE&s=HsX7eZMb4C0awUFhQHrjdWqRXWOp1ks_t0-El3Ol8Ps&e=>

From Sam Goodwin (BFA  14)  “I’m the production manager and director in residence for a production company up in Marietta, Georgia and we’re always looking for new people to add to our list of commercial freelancers AND potentially work with on larger, more fun creative projects. Please reach out if you’re a student or alum  thinking of moving on up to the Atlanta Area, there’s a ton of opportunity here! My email is samuel at atlantamediapros.com<mailto:samuel at atlantamediapros.com> and my number is (303)-501-7456.”

From Ben Treichel (MFA  14)  “After a brief stint in LA, I’ve been back in the Northwoods of Wisconsin for the past few years running a film and photography program at a residential treatment program for at-risk teens called Northwest Passage.  We are currently looking for an intern to assist with teaching photography and filmmaking, as well as create videos that highlight the different areas of programming (ie Underwater photography, pottery, horse therapy, etc. etc.). Interns are given a lot of creative control and projects can be varied from documentary to narrative.  This is a paid internship with free housing to boot! Start and end time of the internship can be flexible. If you enjoy the outdoors, like working with teenagers, and are into social justice filmmaking, contact me at bentr at nwpltd.org<mailto:bentr at nwpltd.org> “

We’ve had a wonderful week in NY, seeing lots of alums, having a Film Forum, a screening, meeting with our NY Dean’s Alumni Council, attending several other FSU Arts programs events during Noles in NY week, walking major miles, including a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge as we went from meeting to meeting.

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – May 10, 2018

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) was selected for screening in Cannes an the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase on May 15. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) won Best Fantasy Film of the Year and the Audience Choice Award for Best Student Film at the Top Shorts Film Festival in May. For more information about this online festival, go to www.topshorts.net.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA 2017 Yu Ying Chien)      was awarded Best Short – Cinematography st the Silicon Beach Film Festival in Los Angeles,  April 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to http://siliconbeachff.com/.

Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) was selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com.

The Bellerose Resort (BFA Thesis 2017 Grace Marerro) and Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) were invited to screen in the Etheria Film Night 2018 World Tour. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.etheriafilmnight.com/.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Murky Water (MFA Thesis 2016 Carl Rogers) was selected for screening at the Longleaf Film Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina, May 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.longleaffilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Documentary Film Festival on May 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.nycsdff.com.

Heyln Springs (MFA Thesis 2014 Noah Camenker) was selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival, which runs as part of Megacon in Orlando, May 24-27. For more information about this convention, go to http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com/>.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Palm Bay Caribe Film Festival in Florida, May 31 – June 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.caribefilmfestival.com/.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller), Morning Light Seems the Brightest (BFA F3 2016 Melina Valdez) and Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Christy Trabada) were selected for screening at the Vero Beach Wine + Film Festival, June 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to http://vbwff.com/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 YueCheng Liu) was selected for screening and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) and Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) are semi-finalists at the International New York Film Festival in New York City, June 15-16. For more information about this festival go to www.inyfilmfest.com.

Everyone Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the Terminus Film Festival in Atlanta, June 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://terminusevent.com.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2017 Bethany Miller) is an Official Selection at the Cosmic Film Festival in Orlando, Florida, June 15-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.cosmicfilmfest.com<http://www.cosmicfilmfest.com/>.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.gencon.com.