[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 3.29.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 29 17:53:20 EDT 2018

From Ben Verhulst (BFA  09)  “I’m lucky enough to have five super fun projects to plug that I got to operate on. The first three I was ACam / Steadicam :)  Season 2 of Showtime’s ‘I’m Dying Up Here’ premieres on May 22nd! We’re halfway through shooting and the trailer just dropped yesterday - it’s a great show with a lot of complex themes. Jim Carrey is our exec along with Dave Flebotte. https://youtu.be/BV9lZscJAOc<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_BV9lZscJAOc&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=L_1Sz-uJYs35jeqPtwchRoWemnOtuebSd5S2vBBl5rA&s=Nm63vJO7Xuxa9d8iIjmgIFapVZTexFHYJahQHps4ZDw&e=>

‘The Girlfriend Experience’ S2: Bria on Starz was one of the best shooting experiences of my life and is currently avail to stream. We got to make some real art out in New Mexico with a slew of FSU grads including Adele Romanski (BFA 04)  producing. https://youtu.be/ahXmc_uvFfU<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_ahXmc-5FuvFfU&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=L_1Sz-uJYs35jeqPtwchRoWemnOtuebSd5S2vBBl5rA&s=qsZLNElCb3_D9PWviJhSDs1Q6OgQ5MMWcEfio5iEzFA&e=>  ‘Dynasty’ on the CW (a reboot of that show you or your parents remember from the80s) is almost done with its first season! Our very own Brandi Bradburn (MFA 99)  is editing and just directed an episode.  I’m also incredibly happy whenever I find Kelly Poor’s  (MFA 12) name on the call sheet!

I have to thank Will Sampson (BFA 09)  for hooking me up with the guys on ‘The Ballad of Lefty Brown’ which was produced out of his PowerHouse Creative Space in LA. We spent a month in Montana with Bill Pullman, Kathy Baker, Peter Fonda and a bunch of other talent that filled out an A-List all star cast. It’s FINALLY out on BluRay and you can stream it on Amazon Prime. https://youtu.be/Sv2khM97ylU<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_Sv2khM97ylU&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=L_1Sz-uJYs35jeqPtwchRoWemnOtuebSd5S2vBBl5rA&s=nbgNC615Fr-WJXBSSbEBniLTjTWNENACsmYF6Bk7q6o&e=> n n Lastly, even though I only dayplayed for the Steadicam shots, David Robert Mitchell’s (MFA 02) new film with A24 is going to be incredible. ‘Under the Silver Lake’ was shot by known FIlm School associate Mike G. It comes out June 22nd. See the trailer here   https://youtu.be/mwgUesU1pz4<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_mwgUesU1pz4&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=L_1Sz-uJYs35jeqPtwchRoWemnOtuebSd5S2vBBl5rA&s=UboGCQOuaju6GIyYHNtnZtXIbjDT-Y4O8ffWFKuYWh8&e=> “

From Marla Dumont (MFA Writing  08)  “I was recently named a Writers Guild of America Honoree for a comedy pilot I wrote entitled The Sex Offender Next Door.  The honorees are selected after multiple rounds of reads by producer level writers and above, including showrunners, and participate in a series of seminars at the guild about the business side of finding work as a professional writer.  It's a great program and was incredibly insightful.  Link to information about the program (and the work of all honorees, myself included) below:
2017-2018 TV Writer Access Project Description and Guidelines<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.wga.org_members_programs_tv-2Dwriter-2Daccess-2Dproject&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=_BhnZOu5-OKPZFrsHJkSe1H1ALEmxp_QtSAsqI1bo5Q&s=G6w2w9DrL-Jd3b4HK2SNwcRYk8GykJe616_p06hRCoU&e=>”

From Taylor Slingerland (BFA  13)   “I spent the better part of 2 months of my life last year working on a show called Splitting Up Together & it finally premiered this week! I was the main prop assistant. The time slot is every Tuesday @ 9:30/8:30 central on ABC  I also wanted to share this Samsung commercial I worked on as the prop master w/ production designer Hannah Beachler & director Dee Rees
https://www.google.com/amp/www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/dee-rees-and-rachel-morrisons-lovely-samsung-ad-urges-you-to-make-something-and-make-history/amp/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_amp_www.adweek.com_brand-2Dmarketing_dee-2Drees-2Dand-2Drachel-2Dmorrisons-2Dlovely-2Dsamsung-2Dad-2Durges-2Dyou-2Dto-2Dmake-2Dsomething-2Dand-2Dmake-2Dhistory_amp_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=aKUeSOdH0vzYfHVeA3w0fk_H9qr4efP_fqcpMl49Vr8&s=hKvkMxAvrp_zalia6tS8A1JhXixJPtf6mTqXsmtz8GM&e=>

From Iman Zawahry (MFA  08)  “I’m so honored to join the UF College of Journalism and Communications<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_UFJSchool_-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=8rR-_ZrU5TDL6iUPGh7b2u501TtQeavITM-s7u6FmoM&s=hiPHWJNKB7FVCESQlFrJJg0_c_O40ie7KPhhQkqiOdk&e=> as a full time faculty member. I have been teaching at the University as an adjunct for the past 4 years. I’ve taught 30 sections of classes and created two of my own classes. I have had the opportunity to work and teach some of the most talented students and colleagues and have grown so much as a teacher and storyteller. I can’t wait to join and expand on a official level.  And I recently wrapped on my first feature film “My Cousins Sisters Wedding” which shot in New York City. The film tells the story of four Muslim women living in New York City and is written and directed by Muslim women. Not something we have seen. Was honored to work with FSU alums Paul Seetachitt  (MFA 07) and Julie Hotz (MFA 07) with help from Melanie Mascioli (MFA 07) . The film featured George Wendt (Cheers), Ajay Nauru (Office Space), Shenaz Treasury (Big Sick) and Lilette Dubey (Best Exotic Marigold Hotel). We are in the middle of post and how to premiere next year. “

From  Chris Bryant (BFA 05) “Currently I am contributing to the programming at Black Rock Center for the Arts in Germantown, MD. We're located in a suburb of Washington, DC and have a 175 seat black box that doubles as a movie theater. I would love to screen alumnus projects and host guests for film discussions and full service events.   Contact me at CBryant at BlackRockCenter.org<mailto:CBryant at BlackRockCenter.org>

From Rebecca Drumond (MFA 11)  “So, it turns out I won the Atlanta Film Festival Screenplay competition.  Sweet!  Three winners, three women.  Very cool to be counted among them.   http://atlantafilmfestival.com/atlff-news/2018/3/5/2018-atlanta-film-festival-screenplay-competition-winners<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__atlantafilmfestival.com_atlff-2Dnews_2018_3_5_2018-2Datlanta-2Dfilm-2Dfestival-2Dscreenplay-2Dcompetition-2Dwinners&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=5Sen7Cp1H6pJbXmaQj_a3skqUxU8eTxhuIJAuw2ZQr8&s=hQgo8-FT7ZMqU-6E8z_2U0SQM9_6Ch6vb_8DGHvlQZM&e=>

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 2)  “My films “Dirty Money” and “Heavens” (both made at the University of Memphis) have been selected by the Nashville Film Festival (May 10-19).”

We are having a super week in LA, dinner meeting with our Dean’s Alumni Council, a fun Film Forum at Soapbox with Wes Ball and TS Nowlin about the Maze Runner trilogy, meetings with alums, and looking forward to seeing more alums at our 7 PM screening tonight.  Some of us took a little break last night to see the opening run of Ready Player One at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in 3 D and it was spectacular!

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – March 29, 2018

Reunion (BFA Documentary 2017 Brady Holcomb) was selected for screening at the UPIKE Film & Media Arts Festival in Pikeville, Kentucky, April 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmafest.org.

Smoked (MFA D2 2017 Jonas Schubach ) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Comedy Shorts Film Festival, April 20-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodcomedyshortsfilmfest.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Women’s Independent Film Festival in Los Angeles on April 7. For more information about this festival, go to www.womensindiefest.com.

A Jingle a Go-Go (MFA D2 2014 Spencer Frankeberger), Acoustic Ninja (BFA Documentary 2016 Rob Bevis), Coda (BFA F1 2014 Mark Breedlove), For the Record (BFA F3 2016 Justin Burt), Miles Away (BFA Thesis 2015 Corey Crumpacker), Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri), Slow Dancin’ Down the Aisles of the Quick Check (MFA Thesis 1998 Thomas Jackson), Street Saints (BFA Documentary 2017 Tav Murphy/Sydney Smith), The Wall (MFA D3 2007 Michael Lloyd Green) and Underground (MFA Thesis 2010 Akil DuPont) were invited to screen at the Blue Tavern in Tallahassee on April 4 as part of a screening series. For more information about this event, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/774695429390276/.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) and Ruckzuck (BFA Documentary 2017 Jacqueline Xerri) were selected for screening at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs, California, April 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.americandocumentaryfilmfestival.com.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Cleveland International Film Festival, April 4-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.clevelandfilm.org.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) are finalists in the Palm Beach International Film Festival Student Showcase of Films, to be held April 6. The winners will be announced at the showcase. For more information about this showcase, go to http://www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the WideScreen Film & Video Festival in Miami, April 13-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://widescreenfest.com<http://widescreenfest.com/>.

Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) was selected for screening at the National Black Film Festival in Houston, April 4-8. For more information about this festival, go to http://nationalblackfilmfestival.com/.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival, April 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.throughwomenseyes.com.

The Stranger (MFA Thesis 2017 Katherine Oostman), Mama I Wanna March (MFA Thesis 2017 Malcolm Baity), Thump (BFA F3 2017 Ben Roth), Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) were awarded Best of Brouhaha at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, November 18-19, and will screen in a special sidebar at the Florida Film Festival, April 6-15. For more information about the Florida Film Festival, go to www.floridafilmfestival.com

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yue Cheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Crossroads Film Festival in Jackson, Mississippi, April 12-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.crossroadsfilmfestival.com/.

Everybody Loves a Panda (MFA D2 2017 Brandon Shenk) was selected for screening at the International Changing Perspectives Film Festival in Istanbul, Turkey, April 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to http://icpsff.com<http://icpsff.com/>.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Full Circle (BFA Documentary 2017 Raymond Knudsen) and Lady Plum (BFA F3 2017 Grayson Goga) were selected for screening at the Sarasota Film Festival, April 13-22. The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn is screening as part of the Through Women’s Eyes Film Festival, which runs as part of the Sarasota Film Festival. For more information about Through Women’s Eyes, go to http://www.throughwomenseyes.com<http://www.throughwomenseyes.com/>. For more information about Sarasota, go to http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com<http://www.sarasotafilmfest.com/>.

The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) was selected for screening at the CannaBus Culture Film Fest, a touring festival that begins on April 20 in Burlington, Vermont. For more information about this festival, go to http://cannabusculturefilmfest.com/.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Boynton Beach Short Film Festival, April 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/events/366806640323030/.

Interrogation (MFA Thesis 2016 Yuecheng Liu) was selected for screening at the Milledgeville + Eatonton Film Festival in Georgia, April 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.milledgevillefilmfest.com.

Rally (MFA D1 2017 Wasly Castillo) was selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 26-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com.

War Crimes (MFA D2 2016 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at Cinema Los Angeles, April 27-28, 2018. For more information about this festival, go to, http://cinemalosangeles.com/.

Rigor Mortis (MFA Thesis 2017 Matthew Robinson) was selected for screening at the Horror Avenue Film Festival in Peoria, Illinois, April 27-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.horroravenuefest.com.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the Spiritual Vibe Film Festival in New York City on April 28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.spiritualvibefilmfestival.com/.

The Terrible Trio (MFA Thesis 2017 Rob Eaton) was selected for screening at the Maryland International Film Festival in Hagerstown, April 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.marylandiff.net.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the NYC Short Documentary Film Festival on May 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.nycsdff.com.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 25-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com.

Wilting (BFA Documentary 2017 Jessica Kirby) was selected for screening at the Palm Bay Caribe Film Festival in Florida, May 31 – June 2. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.caribefilmfestival.com/.