[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] [Warren Report] Warren Report 6.28.18

Meryl Warren mwarren at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 28 12:45:47 EDT 2018

From Blake Taylor (BFA. 06). “The show I’m a writer on, SALVATION, returns this week!  Our Season 2 Premiere is Mon 6/25 @ 9/8c on CBS.  There’s still time to get caught up on Season 1.  All episodes are on CBS All Access or for FREE on Amazon Prime Video (if you’re a prime member).  The show is a blast to work on, and it's got everything you’d want in a summer show… action, romance, mystery, and of course a giant killer asteroid.  Hope you can tune in!”

From Travis Newton (MFA.08). “I'm excited to announce that I’m directing my first feature film this summer: Land of Tomorrow. “In a future where climate change makes summer heat deadly, a young woman living off-the-grid struggles to care for her terminally-ill father and their refugee guests when her air conditioner breaks.” The film features several FSU alums in key roles: Sara Corkern ( MFA 17), Cinematographer; Allison Izzo (MFA 16), Production Designer; Shaina Feldman (MFA 17), 1st AD/VFX Supervisor; Virginia Robinson (MFA 17), 1st AC; Gaffer. Check out our Facebook page Molly Roland (MFA 17), (https://www.facebook.com/landoftmrwfilm/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_landoftmrwfilm_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=q9uTLfBmzwboeZxiw2VGlY8GrtbiyplmMzxLaknLovY&m=IFQC4nitcCBhD-aVAoyXWNEqChfIkPIM4ZSY7AD5lug&s=mcByIc5wMD3D6cWnNgspFGoKFdyIzo468gP0vZXrVp8&e=>) for more details and please give us a like! We’re embracing the micro-budget, DIY approach, so we can use all the moral support we can get!”

Vires,  the magazine of the FSU Alumni Association, has 51 mentions of Film School alumni in its Class Notes section in the Spring/Summer issue.   If you shared something via the Warren Report, you might be in there.   Check it out if you received a copy of the magazine.   Their Class Notes web page is under maintenance and won’t be available until August.

From Collider:  ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ EP Teases Ant-Man, Giant-Man and “Variable-Man”.  While visiting the set of Ant-Man and the Wasp, executive producer Stephen Broussard  (MFA 03) offered up a detailed overview of what we can expect to see in the next installment of the MCU.  http://collider.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-stephen-broussard-interview/#images   NOTE:  Ant-Man opens in theatres, even in Tallahassee, July 6!”

From Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08). “THE ENDLESS IS OUT TODAY! There's no longer a single thing preventing you from seeing (and owning) The Endless<https://www.facebook.com/TheEndlessFilm/?fref=mentions>. It's on digital, VOD, and blu-ray nationwide now, everywhere movies are sold. Thank you to David<https://www.facebook.com/davidlawsonjr?fref=mentions> & Justin<https://www.facebook.com/JustinHBenson?fref=mentions> and all you other psychopaths that came along for this ride. iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/the-endless/id1364468031

From Idan Menin (BFA 12). “I'm excited to share the American Society of Cinematographer's coverage of the Estée Lauder Campaign I shot. You can read it here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ascmag.com_articles_capturing-2Dbeauty-2Dfor-2Dest-25C3-25A9e2Dlauder&d=DwIFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=2PTSSfL7y86X_5bz5N8smODzKzOBH46XZYDqUCjvwOc&s=a-nvuBkwkSYoxDtQnGGtIN9sKCoiRXpLaTQMhbnLt8A&e=
This project was an incredible opportunity and a great step forward in my career as a cinematographer. I am deeply humbled that the ASC saw fit to interview me for this article.”

From Colton Clements (BFA 14). “I have left Rooster Teeth Productions and Austin Texas after three great years. I have relocated to Atlanta, and am now a Production Coordinator and Project Manager for Atlanta Media Pros along with Sam Goodwin (BFA 14) . I will also be writing and developing original content for RockPunch Productions, the online branch of Atlanta Media Pros.”

From Shane Houghton (BFA 07). “You asked if I was actually animating Big City Greens and sadly I'm not that talented. However, I am the creator of the show (along with my brother) as well as an executive producer and writer. The actual animation is done overseas in South Korea. There are about 150 South Koreans who draw on actual paper to make the physical animation. But here in LA, we do all of the pre- and post-production. We have a crew of about 50 people who write, storyboard, design and color everything. All of that pre-production design work is sent overseas to be used as keys and reference. While I'm not doing the physical animation, I'm definitely utilizing my FSU Film School knowledge. I direct actors, and work with editors, sound designers, mixers, and a composer--all stuff I learned at the Film School!”

From Alex Cameron (BFA 13). “I can finally announce that I had the immense pleasure of shooting a timelapse for the Westworld Season 2 Finale! It was such a treat visiting the Sweetwater lot and meeting the film crew that put in the actual hard work! 10 years ago I'm climbing on top of my roof in Florida to shoot sunset timelapses on my mini DV camera and LOOK AT ME NOW MOM! <image001.png>:) Big thanks to Devin Keebler<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_devin.keebler-3Ffref-3Dmentions&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=XK14IrgIaB-M4DhdHvEVmw&m=VV_dHpBPiIPrYdSm-Yq5uk8_Qz4Mw-1zLlJSOS-IAzM&s=abL7I2icPfRHHl5S5tEiRmy1heckoC0ILThiNZXogNs&e=> for recommending me for the job <image002.png>🤙much love! Please keep me in mind for any timelapsing tasks you have for your future projects! What started as a hobby has been becoming a great tool for me to help my friend's crazy ideas come to life.  I’ve also been working as a Camera Tech on Survivor: Fiji Seasons 35-37 since 2017. It’s a super fun game show that engages my interests in cinematography and outdoor exploration/survival. I’ve also been submitting nature timelapses for the show as well on my days off, so fingers crossed if they use them! “

“My name is Dylan Harris, I'm a producer and the program director of the XR Alliance Lab. As producers of immersive content, my partners and I created this lab to further the art of storytelling for VR and MR content by providing resources, support, and mentorship for writers already working in or interested in working in the space. We launched at VRLA this year, and have collected top talent from the major VR and MR companies as our judges and mentors. You can find out any other information at our site: http://thexralliance.com/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__thexralliance.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=LJQw-Cr_mYPBcK6Xl8KyI2cQK3ZTqOZbUvOZxEBIHEg&m=auCileRLtsf7wR5QqffR6SmVFRrM8W8VKdM8dIapiO8&s=ev9buYmirMFVIzYbAiHPrjSL_odMchv2UVn-CPp9Lv8&e=>  We have just opened our submissions for scripts, and I would love to get this opportunity out to the talented students and alumni of your film and media programs. Is that something you could help facilitate? It's a great opportunity for those interested in immersive content to get their scripts in front of major executives as well to receive excellent mentorship.”

NBC’s Alternative Directors Program will give five female and ethnically diverse entrants with at least one directing credit the opportunity to shadow NBC and Universal Television Alternative Studios unscripted series. https://nbcunitips.submittable.com/submit
NBC Talent Infusion Programs Submission Manager Links to submission forms will be available here on the submission opening date.  UPCOMING 2018 SUBMISSION DATES: STANDUP NBC CHARLOTTE: Opens 6/4 - Closes 6/15 STANDUP NBC NEW YORK CITY: Opens 6/18 - Closes 6/29 STANDUP NBC HOUSTON: Opens 7/30 - Closes 8/10 WRITERS ON THE VERGE: Opens 5/1 - Closes 5/31 ALTERNATIVE DIRECTORS PROGRAM: Opens 5/29 - Closes 6/29 The NBC Talent Infusion Programs department seeks fresh, unique, and exceptional behind-the-camera and front-of-camera talent for all NBCUniversal shows. We provide talented creative individuals an opportunity to get their materials in front of key decisions makers from the entire NBCUniversal family as well as agents, managers, producers, and other industry players. Our efforts are dedicated to diversifying and expanding the landscape of television. We particularly encourage women and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.

Want to find a market for your scripts?Join us for this FREE Webinar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dn143.infusionsoft.com_app_linkClick_48058_c73a4c9d7873f6cc_121325504_c315711d903420a8&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=WGrD-n2An_jqeKjkEXaVE_4LATyR-f8eAdKhwkJkVBo&m=wpDalmorso5AiAA-VUdWwqS2WoXnh5MtEsqzOatTQo0&s=4_Ek0cvgm-w0FK61z44O7J_upp6J2aAELFcK-s77y-Y&e=> - Screenwriting Over 50! Learn how ScreenwritingU has had over 100 writers over the age of 50 make deals! Hal Croasmun will give you the low-down on:

  *   What is really possible for writers over 50?
  *   Where is your advantage?
  *   What strategies make you more marketable?
  *   Why certain markets NEED YOU.
  *   What strengths do you have that the industry needs?
Class Details:  When:   Saturday, JUNE 30. Sunday July 1.  Where:  on your computer.   This is a free class.  Reserve Your Spot!<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dn143.infusionsoft.com_app_linkClick_48056_89734505e0622524_121325504_c315711d903420a8&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=WGrD-n2An_jqeKjkEXaVE_4LATyR-f8eAdKhwkJkVBo&m=wpDalmorso5AiAA-VUdWwqS2WoXnh5MtEsqzOatTQo0&s=Nrh5LRKt5jjMr8ri51YcbUacjVqo7SVgXEt4uEtTPgY&e=>

FSU CMPA Screenings & Awards Update – June 28, 2018

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) was selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org.

The Wednesday Sessions (BFA F3 2017 Erin Smyth) and The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) were selected for screening at the Broad Humor Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 30 – September 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.broadhumor.com.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien), Edgar & Ellie (MFA D2 2017 Jonpaul Rodriguez), Schwinging (MFA D2 2017 Dylan Zivitz) were selected for screening at the Austin Revolution Film Festival, September 17-22. For more information about this festival, go to https://austinrevolution.com<https://austinrevolution.com/>.

Bomb Shell (BFA F3 2018 Ryland Carlin) was selected for screening at the 15 Minutes of Fame Film Festival in Palm Bay, Florida, July 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://palmbayfilmfestival.com.

Peacekeeper (BFA Documentary 2017 Tyler Knutt/Nicholas Markart) is on the shortlist for the BAFTA Student Film Awards. Finalists will be feted at a ceremony in Los Angeles on June 29. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.bafta.org/los-angeles/events-initiatives/supporting-talent/student-film-awards.

Thank You for the Music (MFA Thesis 2015 Spencer Frankeberger) was selected for screening at the inaugural Music in Cinema Film Festival in Atlanta on June 30. For more information about this festival, go to www.micfilmfestival.com.

The Art of Foley (MFA D2 2017 Sara Karimipour) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Shortsfest, July 6-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com.

The Cleanse (MFA Thesis 2017 Lucas Omar) was selected for screening at Outfest in Los Angeles, July 12-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.outfest.org<http://www.outfest.org/>.

Twins (MFA Thesis 2017 Yi Tao), Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott), If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Connect (BFA Thesis 2017 Gabe Souza) were selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.comic-con.org.

Habit (BFA F3 2018 Cristy Trabada) was selected for screening at the I’m Not Gonna Move to L.A. Film Festival in Miami on July 25. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgate.miami/nola.

If (BFA F3 2017 Gabriel Valbuena) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Gen Con Indy Film Festival in Indianapolis, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go towww.gencon.com<http://www.gencon.com/>.

Underground Tantrum (BFA Documentary 2017 Cristy Trabada) and The Funk Doctor (MFA D2 2017 Demetrius Martin) were selected for screening at the Hip Hop Film Festival in New York City, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://hiphopfilmfestival.org/.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Janeen Talbott) was selected for screening at the BlackStar Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackstarfest.org.

The Great Wall of Vicky Lynn (MFA Thesis 2017 Yu Ying Chien) was selected for screening at the Taiwanese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, August 3-4. For more information about this festival, go tohttps://www.taff.la<https://www.taff.la/>.

Mama I Wanna March (MTH 2017 Malcolm Baity) was selected for screening at the Macon Film Festival, August 16-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.maconfilmfestival.com<http://www.maconfilmfestival.com/>.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen and is a finalist at Les Femmes Underground Film Festival in Los Angeles on August 19. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.lesfemmesinternational.org/.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was selected for screening at the Toronto Indie Horror Fest, August 29 – September 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.toindiehorrorfest.com/.

Baphomet High (MFA D2 2017 Rebecca Raymond) and The Infamous Guy Christman (MFA D2 2017 Anthony DeNiro) were selected for screening at the Dragon Con Independent Short Film Festival in Atlanta, August 30 – September 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://filmfest.dragoncon.org<http://filmfest.dragoncon.org/>.

Ms. Omniscience (MFA D2 2017 Xiao Ma) and Basics (BFA Thesis 2017 Spencer Smyth) were selected for screening at the Burbank International Film Festival, September 5-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.burbankfilmfestival.org.

The Dollhouse (BFA Documentary 2017 Kyra Gardner) was invited to screen at the All Lights India International Film Festival in Hyderabad, India, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://aliiff.com<http://aliiff.com/>.